Thread: Sailing from Seattle to Alaska

Default Sailing from Seattle to Alaska

Hi, I am a writer in the UK who is trying to find some information/advice please. I am specifically interested in sailing from Seattle to, Prince of Wales island, Alaska by small boat. I have no idea how long it would take; what is the best route; and what is the last time in the year in which such a journey could be undertaken. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. I would be very happy to send you a copy of my book when it is published. It's a children's book that I hope will enourage sailing.

I've done a search on the net and I know this journey has been undertaken. I would really like to obtain an account of someone's experience on this journey.

Thank you for reading my post. Steve Wright from Kinver, England.

Default Re: Sailing from Seattle to Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by kinverrunner View Post
    Hi, I am a writer in the UK who is trying to find some information/advice please. I am specifically interested in sailing from Seattle to, Prince of Wales island, Alaska by small boat. I have no idea how long it would take; what is the best route; and what is the last time in the year in which such a journey could be undertaken. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. I would be very happy to send you a copy of my book when it is published. It's a children's book that I hope will enourage sailing.

I've done a search on the net and I know this journey has been undertaken. I would really like to obtain an account of someone's experience on this journey.

Thank you for reading my post. Steve Wright from Kinver, England.
    Search this forum using "inside passage" for several threads. A google search will also turn up some accounts of the journey. Like several others, I plan to make the same trip sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.

Jamie

An excellent book, which sets the bracket at the smalles/simplest end, is Bijaboji. An account of a young woman rowing a dugout canoe up the Inside Passage.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have much the same trip in mind, although going in the opposite direction would take better advantage of prevailing winds. As for how long it would take, I'd guess 3 months or so. I think ideally you'd want to leave in early June to avoid bad weather.

Others with more experience may have a more specific idea about all that, though. These are just my thoughts based on idle speculation so far.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release June 2014.

Kniverruner,

Welcome aboard

I made the passage from La Conner WA to Juneau AK back in 93. It was aboard a trawler yacht. We shared the costs and enjoyed the adventure all the way. We also ventured into Glacier Bay National Park. You do need a reservation to go in there so plan ahead.

You can read some of it here:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-WOW!!!/page10

Good luck and hope your dreams come true.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Steve, what exactly do you mean by "small boat"? Are you talking about a small cruiser with cabin, ballast keel and outboard motor or a sailing dinghy or a sail & oar boat or what? Very different strategies for all of these. . .
    An Admitted Former Capsizer--ask me about my new 12-step program leading towards a drier, less-inverted life!

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Steve, what exactly do you mean by "small boat"? Are you talking about a small cruiser with cabin, ballast keel and outboard motor or a sailing dinghy or a sail & oar boat or what? Very different strategies for all of these. . .
    C'mon James ... how big of a boat could a child handle anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll close the thread as I'm on the right track now. I must confess that I probably won't do the journey myself, but my character will. Wait for it - he's a scissor-tailed flycatcher that can't fly named Knocker. He's the state bird of Oklahoma. All those that replied so far, please send me a forwarding address to me using my email: swright61@yahoo.com and I'll send you a copy of his first book. It's aimed at ages 6 to 99 so if you're 100 or over, I apologise . Hopefully, you'll take this book on your next journey - the spice of life is varietyand it won't disappoint - anyway I'm sure your children or grandchildren will enjoy it.. Cheers. Steve ps. David G - I've ordered that book Bijaboji

Also, in your google searches, look up "Inside Passage Registry". Mostly paddlers and kayakers but a wealth of information.
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

"Passage to Juneau: A Sea and its Meanings" by Johnathan Raban is a good read about a trip up the Inside Passage. Full of historical background and an appreciative if critical view of the region.