Re: Kiwi Summer Boat Porn 2013
Originally Posted by Zane Lewis
CYA members have very low interest in any event that has the words 'Log Race / Rally' associated to it. We have also surveyed the CYA launch owners re racing at the MCC regatta & had almost zero interest, most view the weekend as a family cruising event.
There has not been a Log Rally for a long time. The last launch 'race' at Mahurangi was in 2010 & was a 'Mark Foy start' race around a laid mark. Since this event we have run else where 6 similar races & the interest (entries) has dropped off with each race. We now have more people organizing the events than participating.
The thinking is that this is a combination of several factors:-
1. there is only a small % of launch owners interested in 'racing' & those that are, are now a little 'been there done that'. There is very little skill involved :-)
2. if the handicapping is done well the outcome of the racing is very predictable
3. the only way to win is to tell porkies e.g. supply inaccurate performance data
4. unknown vessels (non CYA vessels) have a better chance to win as we have no accurate performance data to handicap them by
5. the price of fuel is a factor to a high % of our members
An other (major) factor to consider is the reluctance of the MCC to have launches traveling at speed amongst / near yachts & other craft.
So at the moment racing at the regatta is off the CYA agenda.
"Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"