Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of a 1935 Richardson Cruisabout

Default Re: Restoration of a 1935 Richardson Cruisabout

Added the photo above. Anyone have experience with this??

Got this link in my email today. You might be interested in it.

You should also join the CYA..

http://classicyacht.org/content/clas...n-boat-company

Cheers.

S
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Thanks Scott. Christine and I joined the Richardson Boat Owner's Association recently. They are a great group of people.

Your link mentions the Richardson Sailaways. I have a video from the 1935 Sailaway that documents the entire 500 mile journey. It is really interesting and fun to watch. My research has determined that there were 6 or 7 Cruisabout models of the 32' variety built in 1935. There are 3 of them shown in the video, as best we can tell, meaning there is a roughly 50% chance that one of the boats in the video is ours. We haven't found a way to prove this, but it is really exciting for us to imagine the Cruisabout that is shown at about 13 minutes into the video, lasting for 30 seconds, might be ours....then we laugh at ourselves for being hopeless wooden boat morons.

We were asked to join a local Yacht club here on Lake Winepesaukee recently. We also laughed at this because it is the thrid such membership we have considered wiithout even having a boat in the water! ...Wooden boat morons. I have to admit I have followed the CYA for some time, admiring the Lake Union Dreamboats in particular. We will certainly look at signing up as soon as we have some prettier pictures to provide them.

Anyone interested, or that suspect they might be a wooden boat moron too, can check out the Richardson Sailaway video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r31gWZi6tys

THat's a pretty cool video!
    Now is a good time!

I have to admit, as much as I love working on my boat, It's thrilling to see it in action. It reminds me that I love being on the water as much as being wedged in the filthy bilge with sharp power tools in woefully inadequate lighting with....wait, where was I going with that again?

I'm wondering if someone might suggest a good carvel plank man? I have some specific questions and would like to speak with an experienced guy (or gal). Thanks.

I had a fresh white oak log sawn (again). I dragged out the band saw and started the process of milling the next batch of ribs. The wood is green and wet...perfect for bending. Time to fire up the steamer and get the next batch of ribs in[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

+Cool! Can you post some pics of the steaming and bending? I think folks would like to see that.

S
    Now is a good time!

I absolutely will. There are some pics of the last episode of "steam and bend" in my photobucket link, found in my first post...and here:

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc428/stangusso/

Does someone have some detailed photos of the fabrication of a blind dovetail joint? Perhaps something with a few angles and dimensions for reference?

Now is a good time!

Thank you Scott. Very helpful information. What joinery did you employ to frame your cabin sole?

They are simple step joints as shown below

S
    Now is a good time!

You are comfortable that you have plenty of bearing surface in the bottom of the step? No concerns about splitting because it is VG?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangusso View Post
    You are comfortable that you have plenty of bearing surface in the bottom of the step? No concerns about splitting because it is VG?
    IIRC, the grain runs parallel to the sole, which seems odd to me I'll take some close up pics of the joints and the grain. I too thought the little pockets seemed small, but they are very sturdy..The beams are about 2 inches square.
    Now is a good time!

We did some work to prepare for another set of ribs to go into our boat. Because the configuration of the frame changes a bit in the last 8 feet of the boat I am going to sister these ribs instead of replace them, as we have done in the rest of the hull. As I have mentioned, the original ribs are rot free, but have fractured. I have already exposed the screw heads of all of the ribs that will now remain in place. They were not plugged with wood, but rather filled with some compound that felt like bondo when we removed it. There was some chipping of the planking right around each screw hole.

We had originally planned to remove the ribs, therefore removing the screws, re drilling and counter sinking to clean up each hole, and refastening. This would address the chipping issue. Since the original screws are staying, I need find another way to address the chipping. Is there a compound that is a responsible choice that will fill the holes, repair the chipping, and provide a water tight seal?
    Last edited by Tangusso; 06-10-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Does anyone have experience with 3M Marine filler?

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Prepared for six more ribs to go in this weekend. Second tank completely removed on the starboard side. We will take out an additional 5 ribs this weekend as well. Working hard to keep making progress, and loving every minute I get to spend doing this.

Very disappointing day. We cut up the latest batch of white oak ribs from a new log. spent all morning sawing and shaping and steaming. Every single rib broke upon trying to bend them. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it possible to get a white oak log that's "defective" when it comes to bendability?

Despite the painful failure, the work leading up to it was still worthwhile. We hone our skills each time we perform the process.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

We have already ordered a new white oak log from our local Sawyer. With any luck we will have repeated the cutting process by week's end and install the new ribs next weekend. Here's hoping.

Could it be too dry? I have no experience steaming, but have read that green oak is preferred.

Looking good! Your steam box looks like a scaled up version of mine!

My first set of ribs were too dry. They didn't crack because the bend wasn't too tight, bit they sprang back like crazy. . I suspect it has a lot to do with how dry the wood is.
    S
    Now is a good time!

The wood was wet inside when I ran it through the band saw, but I do know the log had been cut for a bit longer than the previous one. I have asked the sawyer to make sure the log is freshly felled.

Scott, when I first put this steam box together I was careful to fit everything tightly, and even sealed it with high temp silicone. It didn't work because the steam couldn't flow through. I loosened the end cap a bit to let the steam flow which helped. Fortunately, as I have used it more, everything has twisted up and sprung causing lots of steam leaks. Works great now...stupid obsessive joinery perfection disorder

I notice some of the shipwrights out here putting the wood in the lake for a few days before bending.
    She requires of her owner a custodial obligation and responsibility that has absolutely nothing to do with financial return on investment or annual cost of maintaining and operating her.

Thanks Tom. I may give that a try. We just had the new log sawn into planks. I hope to make another attempt soon.

Christine and I are headed to Mystic CT for the show next weekend. I would love the opportunity to meet any of you face to face. Anyone else attending?

I'd love to go, but it's not going to work this time...too much work to do.

Susan signed up for a canvas class at Hood Canvas in Merrimac, MA in September. Is that close top you? We'd love to come by and see your boat and your progress. Le me know...
    Now is a good time!

I've been trying to get to Mystic for about 5 years now. This will be my first time there.

We are about an hour and 20 minutes from Merrimack Mass. In your position, however, I think I might take the long route and go south to Glouscester Ma, then north through Portsmouth, NH, depending on how much time you have. That would show you a nice piece of coastline, but add an hour to the direct route.

Well, I certainly don't have years of experience but I have found it important to bend it quickly--very quickly. If I don't get it done in 60 seconds, I put it back in the cooker. I also like to "pre-bend" it almost immediately after pulling it out of the steamer using my knee to roughly the correct shape. Not sure this is possible for what you are doing. To me, there is a big difference even just 60 seconds after taking the piece out.

Are you driving the piece up inside the hull? I tried this and had no sucess. Took too long for me.

I'm working with white oak that has seasoned for several years and it bends just fine. I don't think you need to pre-soak yours.

Of course, watch for knots anywhere in the piece or for the grain "running out" on the outside face of the piece.
    Chuck Thompson

Thanks for the input Chuck. I am indeed driving the frames into the hull. I am going down through holes in the coveriung boards. I had no issues at all with the first 30 or so ribs. As soon as I switched to the "new" material I had complete failure. I can save a few seconds by adding a helper to hand the rib off and save time climbing onto staging, but again...I'm doing it the same way we did the others.

Pre bending is tough because the rib has to be straight to get it started. If there is too much bend it hits the roof of the pilot house before it gets through the covering board. I had even tried pulling one of the ribs straight from the steamer and bending it with my knee...still broke. I am finding that there is a small amount of runout on the material, but this was also the case with the first log. It seems to be difficult to saw the tapered log maintaining the 45 degree end grain orientation, as well as preventing run out. Any helpful comments?

Well--must be the wood then. I remember I did have one series of pieces that broke. When I looked close, I saw it was a very small knot that ran through the pieces at the same spot. Maybe you have something similar.
    Chuck Thompson

I've been trying to get to Mystic for about 5 years now. This will be my first time there.

We are about an hour and 20 minutes from Merrimack Mass. In your position, however, I think I might take the long route and go south to Glouscester Ma, then north through Portsmouth, NH, depending on how much time you have. That would show you a nice piece of coastline, but add an hour to the direct route.
    And Scott, should you guys be able to make the journey we will look into getting you out on the lake for a foliage cruise and some dinner...

And Scott, should you guys be able to make the journey we will look into getting you out on the lake for a foliage cruise and some dinner...
    We are up for it. A foliage cruise would be great fun! I'll circle back with you on ths around the end of August just to be sure my work schedule hasn't intervened.

Looking forward to seeing your boat!

S
    Now is a good time!

Preparations are underway for more ribs this weekend. Fingers crossed that all will go well this time. We have been discussing adding custom adjustable "arms" to our boat's trailer. The idea is to provide six points of support to the hull on each side, including some long arms aft to support the last 6 feet of the hull, which overhangs the trailer currently. The arms will also be removable, with the thought that they could be taken out of the way - one or two at a time - to allow access to the bottm. Should simplify reefing, caulking, and painting. I will post some pics as soon as we begin cutting and welding.

I am in the process of selecting motor mounts to replace the current set. The engine is a Perkins diesel 4 weighing about 625 lbs wet with gears. I am leaning toward the dual flex DF-100 mounts, but have no specific experience. Input would be appreciated.

Finally, I am trying to determine the correct way to locate the waterline on my hull for painting purposes. I have neither a set of drawings, nor a good idea of how she will float given the interior modifications we are making. I have attempted to search the forum for this topic with limited success. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Good news. We were successful in installing 6 more ribs between previously installed replacements. We broke only one due to grain run out. One step closer to getting her wet.[IMG][/IMG]
    And from the inside....
    [IMG][/IMG]