Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51415

Thread: Restoration of a 1935 Richardson Cruisabout

Default Re: Restoration of a 1935 Richardson Cruisabout

IMG_20190210_164835.jpg

A shot of the bottom plank after the precision removal operation from the inside.
    IMG_20190210_171308.jpg

I also took a few minutes to strip some paint and varnish and perform a quick sanding. I wanted to see if the cabinside wood was in decent shape before I add the moldings between the cabin sides and the covering boards. This spot is a bit scarred up, and the screws that go into the aft cabin wall are filled with epoxy, I'm sure I will remove these and add proper bungs.
    There are few issues in life that cannot be worked out with a sharp chisel and a bit of time

Looks like you could sand the entire superstructure and have some beautiful wood!!
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I'd prefer to see paint over the varnish rather than the inverse. Varnish over paint will cause the paint to take on the color of the varnish and you will probably never have a clean margin until you repaint the boat. As time wears on and you get into the refinishing process that never ends, there will probably be some bleeding of varnish over paint as you do annual maintenance. At that point the issue will be avoiding tape pulls, but we can talk about that when the time comes. Which it will.

Regarding sealing: You've been given good advice but I'll recommend a product to consider. In Seattle there is a local supplier (Daly's) who make a sealer called Ship and Shore (SeaFin) that a lot of us used in a number of ways. However I think the best use for it is as a sealer under varnish. It goes on easily (it's quite thin) and four coats of it ends up leaving you with a discernible build. However you can do more or fewer coats. As a sealer under a good varnish it's hard to beat. I've used it with all the usual top line varnishes (Epifanes, Captain's, etc) and it works dandy. By the way, if you do read Rebecca's book, you'll find she recommends it as well.

Wonderful restoration thread, your work is impressive.
    Thank you Lew. I appreciate your input. I have Rebecca's book and haven't read it yet. In typical fashion I usually wait until I screw something up before I read the instructions. I agree that sealing under varnish seems like a simple and beneficial upgrade. I'm planning on doing that, just need to decide which products.
    There are few issues in life that cannot be worked out with a sharp chisel and a bit of time

IMG_20190211_174042.jpg
    Despite the temperatures being in the teens, I was able to make some progress. I stayed warm by employing my favorite hand plane. My feet were covered with wood chips, keeping my toes toasty.
    IMG_20190211_184738.jpg
    Do you know that feeling you get when you close your eyes and run the palm of your hand down your hull and feel a flawless contour?? You bet you do! I got to experience that repeatedly tonight. My trusty plane and some light sanding and her curves are perfect. The hull is completely closed up again. Feels good!
    IMG_20190211_184751.jpg

That’s a really nice feeling. I remember it well. Nice job.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangusso View Post

Do you know that feeling you get when you close your eyes and run the palm of your hand down your hull and feel a flawless contour?? You bet you do! I got to experience that repeatedly tonight. My trusty plane and some light sanding and her curves are perfect. The hull is completely closed up again. Feels good!
    Yes, but it isn't wood..
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Nice tight seams.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Nice tight seams.
    Why thank you! Nobody has said that to me in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Cogeniac View Post
    Yes, but it isn't wood..
    Exactly the response I was expecting and hoping for! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    That’s a really nice feeling. I remember it well. Nice job.
    Thank you kind Sir...

Why thank you! Nobody has said that to me in years!
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    I LOVE those guys!!

I LOVE those guys!!
    As do I