Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ultimate One Sheet Boat?

Default Re: The Ultimate One Sheet Boat?

Not trying to dredge up a skummy pond, but an SO impressed and wanted to know if you ever actually went ahead and built this one? It's super cool!

There are so many one and two-sheet designs from this source it's hard to kep current. The predicessor of, or the successor of, this design was the "Little Guide. I recall seeing pictures of three. I don't think any of this design, the "Flywood", have shown up on this site. Things have moved on to a 14-16 footer, the "Gorewood", built from two sheets of 3mm plywood using yet a new technique. It seems to be still in the works.
    Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 10-01-2014 at 08:33 PM.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/14/...m#.VIUEwd08KrU

at least one person has built one. Photos of a finished Flywood are about halfway done the page at the above link.

Quote Originally Posted by trent hink View Post
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/14/...m#.VIUEwd08KrUat least one person has built one. Photos of a finished Flywood are about halfway done the page at the above link.
    That guy is a real adventurer. A layer of cotton canvas and wood glue instead of fiberglass and epoxy. Do you endorse his methods?

I would not consider it simpler build as "Little Guide" has panels easy to glue together without any bending necessary during the first step, and "Flywood" seems to face a problem of coping with twist during puttin upper panel together. Also, these V-shaped cutouts are intimidating for me and call for cutting with a knife as You do, what requires following a very precise line from both sides of ply - not simpler than the "Little Guide" who doesn't mind using a common saw.

Other than that, I admire both.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga Chuck View Post
    That guy is a real adventurer. A layer of cotton canvas and wood glue instead of fiberglass and epoxy. Do you endorse his methods?
    That was only for the inside.

The bottom is covered with 4oz FG and epoxy (6oz tape on the seams) while he interior is lined with 8oz canvas (painters' tarp) and TBIII.
    I wouldn't be afraid to use that method inside and/or outside but that's just me. I also used underlayment (and NO EPOXY) on my boats so use your own judgement.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dreams View Post
    That was only for the inside.
    I read the article, too. If you are suggesting the tensile strength of a "painter's drop cloth" (whatever that may be) pasted on with wood glue is anywhere near the tensile strength of fiberglass cloth potted in epoxy you are spreading false information.
    Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 12-10-2014 at 08:39 PM.

I read the article, too. If you are suggesting the tensile strength of a "painter's drop cloth" (whatever that may be) pasted on with wood glue is anywhere near the tensile strength of fiberglass cloth potted in epoxy you are spreading false information.
    That is NOT what I was suggesting at all. What I said was "I ... I would not be afraid to use that method"

For a simple, one-sheet boat, you are free to use $100 a gallon epoxy and fiberglass if you want. It WILL result in a much stronger and longer lasting boat.

For my own use, I didn't use fiberglass or epoxy and I don't regret that decission at all. Keep in mind that I DO NOT use my simple boats in the ocean or even in whitewater conditions.

I will now stop posting my thoughts here on the subject. Obviously, the opinion here is that wooden boats need to be made from the most expensive plywood you can find and then coated with epoxy and fiberglass. I agree that is a good way to make a boat. Basically a PLASTIC boat with a wood core but still a good boat.

Is 4 mm plywood durable enough for a canoe? Wouldn't glassing with 6 oz cloth be mandatory anyway -- negating the advantage of a single sheet build?

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    Is 4 mm plywood durable enough for a canoe? Wouldn't glassing with 6 oz cloth be mandatory anyway -- negating the advantage of a single sheet build?
    Pettigill's butterfly design "Sweet Dream" was designed for 4mm. It can't be thicker because you wouldn't be able to make the stem bends. Pettigill made no mention of glassing anything but the seams that hold the hull together. The idea being to make a practical, light weight, casual duty canoe. Pettigill has exhibited and taught classes at places like St. Michaels, Small Boat Festival, without any criticism of his product. He's also been published in Woodenboat and other boatbuilding journels. So far the only example of the "Flywood" that has shown up was made from 3mm ply. The builder seems to have determined the hull was too flimsy because he reinforced it with a variety of inside and outside laminations. From my experience bare 3mm and 4mm ply will work if the design makes engineering sense and the boat is only used in venues that it was designed for.

...and the boat is only used in venues that it was designed for.
    I probably didn't make that clear enough in my comments. My boats have only been used in ponds, a local lake, and local river. None of these places have much current or waves besides the speed boat wakes. I am never more than 1/4 mile from dry land and mostly much closer than that. I mostly like to paddle around close to the edge where the water is low enough to see the bottom and any fish. I don't leave the boats in the water when I am not using them either.

If I was boating in different conditions (like the ocean or rough-water), my building methods would most likely not be good enough.

THANKS for clearing that up.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

I just wondered because we've used our roto-molded 15 ft canoe for years and judging from the amount of bumps and gouges on its hull, I was afraid 4 mm plywood wouldn't make it.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to make a stitch and glue canoe out of lexan sheets, basically following Fo-Mo's ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    Does anyone know whether it is possible to make a stitch and glue canoe out of lexan sheets, basically following Fo-Mo's ideas?
    The obvious question is "what do you use to glue it together"? Any glue joints have to have structural strength. Beyond that, do you have lexan that has physical characteristics similar to plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    I just wondered because we've used our roto-molded 15 ft canoe for years and judging from the amount of bumps and gouges on its hull, I was afraid 4 mm plywood wouldn't make it.
    Plastic canoes are ideal for abuse. Those that take the time build with strips or thin plywood quickly learn to avoid damage to what they have built. My 3mm ply kayak has been in use for 15 year and only has glass tape on the keel. I had to learn to get in/get out when the boat was in knee-deep water. A 1/4" plywood canoe bottom can survive a lot of contact with submerged rocks but it's a pain repairing the damage year after year.
    Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 12-12-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Lexan aka polycarbonate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

Much better than plexiglas wrt formability and durability, but scratches easily and is subject to UV and salt water corrosion according to article. If you try it, you might want to stay close to shore for a while to make sure......

I would talk to a vendor to discuss suitable glue and fastening methods and whether they retain full strength or not.

Alan
    https://sites.google.com/site/helium12sofsailboat/

Apparently West System G-Flex adheres to 80-gritted lexan.
    The bonding strength is similar to that for white oak, and better than that for teak.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    It wouldn't work out very well using this technique. The glue joints can be clear using the right adhesive extreme care and a lot of polishing, but you are pretty much stuck with lap joints, and the material doesn't stretch and bend the same way. Having said that, PC can be vacuum formed by heating the sheet like an aircraft canopy.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 12-13-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: wrong picture for the context too off topic

I'm not sure how big a sheet you'd have to start with to vacuum form it (although that can be figured out.)

If you cut flo-mo's panels, you might be able to glue it successfully by routing concavity into the glued edges, and gluing the panels to a polycarbon rod, providing a better gluing angle.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

I'm planning on building this one sheet boat, but i can't decide how I want to go about it. I would like to make it collapsible like flo-mo wants to, but id still like to make it out of wood. I was thinking about going about it one of two different ways. First, I thought about making three sections each being four feet long. I'd seal the ends with thicker plywood that I have left over from another project. Then have two seats that would act as clamps to connect the three sections. This would make it easier for me to transport. Although my second idea was to have all the pieces and assemble it once I get there then I'd have 8 sections that are four foot long (plus the internal supports). This would be even easier to transport. Although there's a number of problems with using this idea. One connecting them both quickly and securely, that way it doesn't fall apart while in use. The best that i could come up with was using zip ties along the seams. The other problem is sealing the seams, using something like tape that would also cover the ziptie holes. I did a lot of research Into finding a reusable waterproof tape and the best thing i could find would be silicone rescue tape. The only problem with that is that rescue tape only aadheres to itself, although Id think id adhere to anything silicone. So id have to coat the edges of the board with silicone. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that are productive, I'd be happy to hear what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by trent hink View Post
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/14/...m#.VIUEwd08KrU

at least one person has built one. Photos of a finished Flywood are about halfway done the page at the above link.
    Thank you for the link -- nice to know that someone successfully built this little canoe and is pleased with the outcome.

Upon request I added a DXF-file of the 3D-model as a free downloadable ZIP-file to my website (http://flo-mo.weebly.com/one-sheet-boats.html). I am about to learn some basic steps in Rhino 5.0 which is tiring but also fun -- so the Zip-file also contains a Rhino 5.0 version of the model. Feel free to play with it if you want to.

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/369506344413008564/

Hi, I have just joined this website as I have some questions to ask about the "One sheet boat".
    I built one back in April 2016 in Noosa for my grandson using a sheet of 8 x 4 or 1400 x 1200 marine ply. It's my first attempt and making a boat. I scaled it down and held it together using gaffa tape and then epoxy resin with glass tape. It all went well but for some reason I didn't have the measurements for the beam width and so pushed the sides out as far as seemed practical for an adult and left it at 600 mm. I had less than 2 weeks time over there to build, test it and have some fun, so I left out the infills either end and put some rough seats in. When I finally tested it, I found it floated well but was very unstable, my core stomach muscles were aching from balancing. The next day I made a simple stabilising arm with some timber and a 90 storm water pipe with 45 deg elbows either end. I tested it again and it was very stable, I even tried two adults in it and was surprised it was still well above the water line.
    I have recently revisited the site and after looking at the plans and specs again, was wondering if it had a wider beam, would that flatten out the bottom more and make it stable?
    I tried to upload photos but it appears I don't have enough quota??
    Last edited by Aussie2; 02-05-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add Photos

Insert Image
    X
    From ComputerFrom URL
    Add an Image from Url

Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    URL

Retrieve remote file and reference locally

You have to uncheck the box at the bottom that says retrieve file and reference locally.
    Steve Martinsen

Thanks Steve, I am uploading from my computer, not from a URL but on looking around I found the image has to be reduced to 620 x 280 pixels but I tried that and still fails. It mentions I have 16.4K left which is incredibly small for an image. I will investigate tomorrow when I have a few hours spare.
    Cheers

I use Tapatalk, much easier

I've seen more than a few plans for one sheet boats and NEVER such a good plan with so little waste! You must be really good at Tetris and packing for vacations! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O. View Post
    I've seen more than a few plans for one sheet boats and NEVER such a good plan with so little waste! You must be really good at Tetris and packing for vacations! haha

My mates sister was moving house, the removal men with forty plus years experience said that she would have to take the wardrobe apart, it was never getting down the stairs. She guided them through many twists a and turns and in one piece the wardrobe was taken down stairs. Amazed and somewhat embarrassed the removal man said to her "what do you do for a living?"

she replied " I am a midwife"

I have just started building one of these using cheap decorative 3mm ply, Maple faced on one side. The other 'ugly' side is some sort of dark meranti or similar with an amazing amount of lustre and the promise of lovely chatoyance if left bright.

The sheet has a strong tendency to bend with the maple on the concave side. The panel layout is such that port and starboard panels do not have the same wood facing outwards. I stitched the lot together to see how the asymmetric colours would look but more importantly, if there will be any asymmetry in the hull due to the flex bias. Which there is. My first option for a fix is to disassemble and trace the panel outlines on the reverse side of another sheet, giving me two sets of mirrored panels. His and hers.

Time to measure, mark and cut the panels took 2hrs and stitching 1hr.

I'm enjoying your videos WF (Saw them on facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I'm enjoying your videos WF (Saw them on facebook)
    I am glad to hear that.
    I have started a new thread under the building section where I will post further progress.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...s-12ft-Flywood

It looks like my photobucket account has now also gone belly-up, so it might be just videos from here on...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2 View Post
    https://au.pinterest.com/pin/369506344413008564/

Hi, I have just joined this website as I have some questions to ask about the "One sheet boat".
    I built one back in April 2016 in Noosa for my grandson using a sheet of 8 x 4 or 1400 x 1200 marine ply. It's my first attempt and making a boat. I scaled it down and held it together using gaffa tape and then epoxy resin with glass tape. It all went well but for some reason I didn't have the measurements for the beam width and so pushed the sides out as far as seemed practical for an adult and left it at 600 mm. I had less than 2 weeks time over there to build, test it and have some fun, so I left out the infills either end and put some rough seats in. When I finally tested it, I found it floated well but was very unstable, my core stomach muscles were aching from balancing. The next day I made a simple stabilising arm with some timber and a 90 storm water pipe with 45 deg elbows either end. I tested it again and it was very stable, I even tried two adults in it and was surprised it was still well above the water line.
    I have recently revisited the site and after looking at the plans and specs again, was wondering if it had a wider beam, would that flatten out the bottom more and make it stable?
    I tried to upload photos but it appears I don't have enough quota??
    I was able to get a few additional measurements from the 3D CAD model that Flo-Mo has kindly made available, so here they are, approximately:

Max beam excl gunnels - 700mm (27.5")
    Bow angle at breasthook - 38deg
    Midship deadrise angle - 13.3deg (i.e. the angle between the bottom panels measures 153.4deg on the inside.)
    Midship beam at the chines - 555mm (21.8")
    The yoke/cross-brace is offset 300mm from midships.

With the hull stitched together, the beam at the gunnels strongly influences the deadrise angle of the bottom panels, more beam = flatter bottom.

Sorry it took so long, I had to find the site and blog again and log in, but thank you for the measurements. I'm sure by widening the beam, the stability will improve. I may build one here in Fremantle first before I go back to Noosa and cut and modify the first one.
    Cheers
    Alan

Its been quite a while from the start of this topic. I wonder how's the built canoes after all that time. (there were at least two built).
    I have a plan to start flywood canoe in the next couple days.

Hola a todos. Aunque hace tiempo que sigo las publicaciones de este foro, sobre todo las de Flo Mo. Nunca he publicado nada.
    El tema de los barcos de una hoja me interesa y estoy pensando en construir una canoa. Mientras tanto os pongo un enlace a la primera web que conocí de embarcaciones de una hoja. http://hvartial.kapsi.fi/index.htm
    Gracias por vuestras publicaciones, son muy inspiradoras.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwik View Post
    Its been quite a while from the start of this topic. I wonder how's the built canoes after all that time. (there were at least two built).
    I have a plan to start flywood canoe in the next couple days.
    I still enjoy my (wife's) Flywood very much. It is my first choice for a relaxed paddle on the estuary.
    I have installed a 2" thick permanent seat which raises my (220lb) centre of gravity just enough to make it a little twitchy when getting in.
    The height and beam at the gunnels result in the occasional bruised knuckle.
    It does not keep straight for very long in a glide, at least not at my displacement.
    The 3mm ply and 5oz glass structure is holding up well. The light weight is what makes it such a great grab-and-go boat.