Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Plywood boat rebuild

Default Re: Plywood boat rebuild

i see no reason a competent welder couldn't cut and insert an extension to your at the same time he (or she) is adding the protection for the prop and rudder.
    good looking speedster ned!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    i see no reason a competent welder couldn't cut and insert an extension to your at the same time he (or she) is adding the protection for the prop and rudder.
    good looking speedster ned!

jim
    I still can't picture tang extension........do you have any picture/sketch of your idea Jim ?

i would just cut the existing tongue behind the coupler-hitch and insert a piece of similar sized tubing. might be able to find a piece of tubing the could either go over the existing tubing or slip in side of it. then either weld it up or if it is a snug fit you could just drill a hole and bolt it up. like the hitch on you truck.

jim

Adding a swing-away requires little more than a sawzall and a drill...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0IELG...=3Q4BKNE2VD1BF

The hinges are sturdy and available for several tongue sizes. Installation looks simple and to the point.

Install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l4kYCtYJ4c

this is a very interesting idea here Mr. Switzer !

Today I was talking to my friend contractor about the tongue extension as we were looking over my "new" trailer. We discovered that the tongue is a piece of 3x4" that is mounted to the rest of the body with two bolts....so I could get longer 3x4" tube and have an instant extension!!!
    Have to call around and see if I can get galvanized 3"x4" and 1/8" wall thickness tube 10' long......

2017-09-11_10-47-52

Wojo I think you need this:

http://www.xtend-a-hitchnorthwest.com/
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    this is a very interesting idea here Mr. Switzer !

Today I was talking to my friend contractor about the tongue extension as we were looking over my "new" trailer. We discovered that the tongue is a piece of 3x4" that is mounted to the rest of the body with two bolts....so I could get longer 3x4" tube and have an instant extension!!!
    Have to call around and see if I can get galvanized 3"x4" and 1/8" wall thickness tube 10' long......

2017-09-11_10-47-52
    My last trailer was a dog....a Harbor Freight POS that was barely adequate and the tongue was too short, so when I commenced on my current build, which is going to be a trailer queen, my shallow (21 foot) garage and the desire for a longer trailer tongue led me to the idea of a swing-away.

There's also the option of retro-fitting an eztension. Here's a link to a few kits on goofle: https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...w=1536&bih=710

So saga of fitting new trailer continues......the latest is to use my lifting contraption to get Fontana off old trailer into new one.
    The set up I have here was working great on Glen L15 but Fontana is a heavier boat. From my calculation must be about 1700 lbs.
    Roof trusses are 2 x8", the chain hoist is 1t rated, chains are 1000 lbs rated. Week point is the trusses - I think.
    I would love to hear from knowledgeable people here on this subject.
    My contractor told me to support both hoist mounting points with 4x4 s...I was wandering what size a metal equivalent of wood post 4x4 would have to be.....??
    Have to run to work, will post more information's if needed.
    2017-09-14_12-44-50

I can't help with the engineering Wojo, but another thought - how about just take the boat on the current trailer to a place that can pick it up with a forklift and put it in the water? Do a test run and then tie it up and come back with the new trailer. I imagine there must be a place in Gig Harbor that could do it? Sure, it's a bit of a drive and a shuffle with the trailers but probably still less time and cost than coming up with some sort of brace for your lifting setup and moving Fontana over yourself.
    - Chris

Hi Wojo,

Propping a couple 4x4s or steel posts under a 2x8 rafter is probably not the best approach here. I'm not liking those thin spreaders either - that chain angle is pretty shallow and may buckle the spreader under heavier load (Fontana). It's probably not worth the risk to you or Fontana.

Fabricating a gantry system is certainly possible but seems like a lot of effort/expense for just swapping trailers.

How about using a better/steeper launch ramp - launch Fontana off, tie her up and go get the other trailer and put her on. Can't you just coordinate a high tide launch right there at Lakebay Marina?

Travis.

^^ I'm with Travis on this one. If you can get Fontana in the water at high tide that's the easiest plan for sure. If not, then I still think a forklift or similar option is your best bet even if you have to go to Gig Harbor to get it done.
    - Chris

the one piece extension is an easier solution than cutting and inserting a piece as i suggested earlier. as far as switching trailers, how about just launching from the old trailer and have a friend bring the new trailer and picking it up? is that too complicated? maybe even your wife handle it.

jim

Tom wanted to bring the boat to BoatShop in Gig Harbor. Use their boat lifting "hoist". Their rate is - $100 / hr
    The new trailer does not fit the boat - needs new hardware for the bunks, so I didn't want to get the boat to Gig Harbor ( about 40 min drive) and most likely live it there until trailer parts will arrive. Don't think that BoatShop would let me live it there for a week or so.
    After chewing on your thoughts I think the best idea is to take the boat to the ramp ( 10 min drive) launch it ( roll it down with long line attached to the truck until boat floats) and set it on new trailer - prop it to make the drive home, and then figure out what's needed to make a perfect support.

Just discovered a gantry in my newly constructed roof - an addition to the shop.
    The boat will be supported in the aft area by two stands. Two chain hoist, one on each side, located in motor mounting area. Lift. Roll an old trailer out, roll the new trailer in.

2017-09-15_08-23-01

setting the stage for tomorrow....hopefully things will not go sideways

2017-09-17_10-18-19

that's a great idea. good luck..

jim

Monday morning. Boat and a trailer in position.

IMAG1274

Two stands at the last frame before transom. Two lift slings, each rated1250 lb - I like overkill
    Lifting and wiggling the trailer - back support little higher then front of the trailer....

IMAG1275

And old trailer is out!
    IMAG1277 by Wojo Walczak, on Flickr

Bringing new trailer....

IMAG1282

After few hours of moving, pushing, lifting, lowering, overthinking, anticipating, etc, etc......
    IMAG1285

Tom from GPBW stopped by to check things out and declared the new trailer a good fit! Need to add a support aft and fine tune thing or two and we are all set !!
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 09-19-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Nice job Wojo. The new trailer looks great! Looking forward to launch trials...
    - Chris

She looks really good there!

good looking duo you have there. i am envious!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    good looking duo you have there. i am envious!

jim
    thank you Chris, Ned and Jim !

Sooooo......went to the gravel place with an old trailer to check the weight - 780 lb
    Trailer with the boat on it................................................ .....................2360 lb
    Boat weight...............1580 lbs
    New trailer weight........600 lbs
    Total for new setup.....2180 lbs

2017-09-19_12-25-01

weight at the tongue is 150 lbs. According to the rule there supposed to be 10 - 15% of the total weight of the boat and trailer.....means 218 to 277 lbs

there is plenty of room to move the boat forward on the trailer frame.....which would be good , because right now the boat is not even touching the roller on the winch stand, and there is no room to bring it more aft....

DSCF0049 (1)

...................but as usual there is a problem....
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 09-19-2017 at 04:11 PM.

well, maybe not a problem but a concern......the skeg was build not to the design, was made longer and at the end connected to the rudder - to strengthen/protect the rudder - my guess. Right now the part of the skeg that does not connect with the bottom of the boat is resting on trailer frame ( maybe few inches from the connected part) - if I move the boat forward on the trailer - to increase the weight on the tongue and to reach the roller on the winch stand - the boat will move forward 6" to 10".
    Not sure if that matters.....?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XASikG]2017-09-19_01-21-05[

for this area will need to get a bracket with a keel roller

DSCF0050

to take my mind off the trailer saga, I was working on installing new (to me) wet sharpener/grinder.....still need to bolt it down, but the electric motor was fitted and the set up is working

2017-09-19_04-43-28

I really like you wet wheel!
    As to your keel (or skeg) dilema, I would agree that I wouldn't want to bear too much weight on it another 10" or so aft. I think if you can equally distribute the weight of the boat at all the support points you will be fine. Or, as an alternative you could lay something like a 2x10 or 2x12 on the flat below the boat so it is sprung to match the curve of the bottom of the keel and then shim and fasten that to the trailer. That would give you about 100% support below the keel, and it will make no difference where the trailer supports land.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I really like you wet wheel!
    As to your keel (or skeg) dilema, I would agree that I wouldn't want to bear too much weight on it another 10" or so aft. I think if you can equally distribute the weight of the boat at all the support points you will be fine. Or, as an alternative you could lay something like a 2x10 or 2x12 on the flat below the boat so it is sprung to match the curve of the bottom of the keel and then shim and fasten that to the trailer. That would give you about 100% support below the keel, and it will make no difference where the trailer supports land.
    thank you Ned - wheel needs still some work, it's out of round. Most likely need to get some diamond wheel dressing fixture.
    As far as the keel support - I am all ears, but can't quite picture your idea just yet.......

Wojo, I think Ned is talking about creating something like a center bunk to support the full length of the keel. I like the thought but I might do it with two or three rollers rather than trying to spring a flat bunk to the shape of the keel. But for a simple - if possibly temporary - solution, could you just fasten a 4x4 crossmember to the frame with u-bolts a bit further forward? If it sits underneath the frame rails it looks like it would clear the bottom of the keel, or worst-case you might have to shim it down a bit. That would given you another support point under the keel and remove the concern about putting a load on the skeg.
    - Chris

Don't want to have anything in the center of the trailer frame (length wise) because can not lift the boat by bottle jacks if I want to do some adjustments or trailer work. I have to install a keel roller here....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XCYsi6]DSCF0050

and Tom suggested for support to install 4x4 across the frame, 3-4' aft from the winch mount.....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XCYsxp]DSCF0049 (1)

starting my work week, so I will chew on it ....

^^ Yes, the 4x4 support is what I was thinking as well.
    - Chris

I wold strongly recommend raising the winch so that the pull on the boat would be neither up or down as you winch it on, this would make it necessary to move the boat forward by only a few inches and that may be enough to satisfy your 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    I wold strongly recommend raising the winch so that the pull on the boat would be neither up or down as you winch it on, this would make it necessary to move the boat forward by only a few inches and that may be enough to satisfy your 10%
    ....I can see the light....
    Would have to raise the whole winch, is out of adjustment now.....

................totally changing subject...
    Need new Hull Identification Number plate made for my boat - anyone know place that can make it here in WA ??

I would think that any local trophy shop will make what you want. Once I finish my build and receive my HIN from the DNR, I was considering having a plate made identifying the year of build, plans, estimated HP, builder, etc.

There's a guy here in St Louis that does them https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bpo/d...259574550.html and he seems above board. I am 99% sure though that you can do your own with some aluminum or brass from the hardware store and a letter stamp set from amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tter+stamp+set

Another possible option might be to have your HIN engraved on a dog collar blank. Amazon has some nice brass ones here in several sizes: https://www.amazon.com/Warner-Brand-...s=plate+id+tag
    Last edited by Illinois Switzer; 09-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.

The local sign masters makes them in Longview, WA.

thank you both for ideas.....right now I am leaning toward getting the stamp set, as I would like to make another plate with information's about the designer, dimensions and weight of the boat.....but work week is steel young , I may change my mind