Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plywood boat rebuild

Default Re: Plywood boat rebuild

finally was able to put the boat in the water....very exciting! Boat very stable, I absolutely love it.......unfortunately there was a water leak....not sure where was coming from....pretty sure it was on port side........there is a trough hull install on this side...not sure for what purpose....plug it but that's where the leak I think was.......how do you find where the leak is????????

Put some dye in the bilge, flood it, while on the trailer and find where the dyed water is leaking from? In aviation, we have smoked cigarettes in the pressurized cockpit to find where pressure leaks were coming from. Similar idea.... may work, just make sure the dye is one that wont stain your new paint

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Put some dye in the bilge, flood it, while on the trailer and find where the dyed water is leaking from? In aviation, we have smoked cigarettes in the pressurized cockpit to find where pressure leaks were coming from. Similar idea.... may work, just make sure the dye is one that wont stain your new paint
    Sleek, just got up....time to go to work.....read your suggestion to find out where the leak is...kept wandering what dye to use.......MILK!!....boat is dark green....milk white, will not stain anything.......should work!................Thank you!................off to work I go

Sour milk smell can last for years.

You could use a fluorescent dye and search with a black light. Get the dye at an automotive store.

hmmmm....love buttermilk ........I want to check the trough hull thingy first......is there a way to contain a small area???....like anywhere from 2-6" diameter??

Thick layer of axel grease around it, pvc pipe over the area and fill with water. Axel grease seals up the pvc pipe to the hull. Also can use toilet bowl wax.

great idea sleek...........here is the trough hull thingy.....had a cap treaded on it over Teflon pipe tape.......must have not enough of the tape and didn' sealed the threads........water still standing in the bilge....whatever left after pumping it out.....but the level is lover than top of the pipe......when was higher - water was dripping out via trough hull.....but I want to make sure with small container sealing the immediate area....

Another idea would be to sprinkle saw dust or flower around areas you suspect and float the boat. Wet spots will discolor.

Great little boat It's nice to see you are giving her some proper attention.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Great little boat It's nice to see you are giving her some proper attention.
    thank you nedL!! got the little 1962 5.5hp Johnson running.....but the traces (OK, more than that) of what I think is gear lube in the water makes me wander what O-ring needs replacing....??....also since the water pump is not self priming, needs to be under the water surface - but only in the barrel, not mounted on transom - so I was told.......true??
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 07-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.

she looks kind of small now

Very pretty

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

What is that building? Did lake bay get a makeover?

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    working on boat stands....
    What is that drill press attachment in this photo. Does it work well?

Hmm, ... 1962 5.5 hp OMC (Johnson) ... The water pump does need to be in the water (it is in the bottom half of the lower unit), and in a barrel like you have is just fine. If the outboard is run 'dry' out of the water the neoprene impeller in the water pump will be wiped out long before the engine gets to a 'too hot' situation. The lower unit gear case is pretty simple to work with in that. I'd say pull the prop and see if there is grease on the inside of the prop hub, if there is then the shaft seal is probably gone. If it is all clean on the inside of the prop then we might just be looking at 'normal' (for that vintage) 2cycle oil floating in the barrel.

Did you figure the leak out?

got this attachment off Amazon....$20- range....didn't use that much yet....so far not impressed....drilled this one hole, next 3 without it......lots of play in it

not yet....getting up 4-25 AM; getting home 7:30 PM......have to wait for weekend.....
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 07-11-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    What is that building? Did lake bay get a makeover?
    it's a Lakebay Marina...family that had it for 2 generations sold in December 2012 .......new owner is slowly restoring it......a lot of improvements in last 6 months....the dock by the boat launch is one of them (it's not free anymore though - $5.00).....moorage went up - as expected.......but overall is a good thing for the marina and community......gas dock is open - $5.00/ gal of ethanol free gas - burger joint opening soon ( building in a picture) - with a plan of full fledged restaurant in the future, etc. etc.

installed 5.5 62 Johnson off the transom.....looks like water pump will be above water line......not good

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    What is that drill press attachment in this photo. Does it work well?
    That look's like the Wolfcraft Drill Guide. It or a functionally similar one is available at, as mentioned amazon, or most big box home stores or hardware shops. As said, has a bit of play, racking problems if not tightened (and the plastic knobs break if you tighten hard), and it has relatively limited travel range.

Here is the drill guide. It's made by Wolfcraft. It's not a replacement for a drill press, but it works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JCIMEA

Your motor looks fine to me. You want that bottom flat plate flush with the bottom of your boat. Looks close to me...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Glad to hear Lakebay is getting some juice. I will pencil it back in on my south sound patrol route!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Glad to hear Lakebay is getting some juice. I will pencil it back in on my south sound patrol route!
    I love Lakebay.......moving here from Maple Valley open up totally new world to me :-)

Your motor looks fine to me. You want that bottom flat plate flush with the bottom of your boat. Looks close to me...
    this motor does not have a self primed water pump..........I have read somewhere that while run in the barrel, the water pump has to be below water surface in order to circulate water trough cooling system......but I had read somewhere, that mounted to the transom the pump does not have to be submerged in order to work ( maybe due to boat movement???????).......so I am clinging to hope that can use the motor in current setup......otherwise I would have to get a long shaft motor, or lower the mount to position the water pump under the water surface......tried to mark where is the water surface while the boat is in the water - lower line - .....and where is the water pump level.....now somebody tell me that this is going to work !!!! :-)
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 07-14-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Hi Sleek.... did the water test around this trough hull fitting with the cap on.....it leaks....tomorrow I will use more telfon tape and do the test again......
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 07-14-2013 at 12:39 AM.

For the leak, you may need a crushable o ring, or a gasket to stop the leak if teflon doesnt fix it.

As for the motor water pump... I am reasonable sure your water pump is below water on that set up. Two ways to find out for sure. Quickest is to put the boat in the water ( or motor in a barrel filled to boats water line ) and fire it up. Check the pee hole for water flow. Give it maybe ten seconds. If no water flow in ten seconds ( it should be immediate after running) shut down and raise the water level and retry.

Actually, even better.... fill the barrel up to really full to be sure the pump is covered. Start it to be sure of positive water flow through the pee hole. Then drain some water and restart. Rinse and repeat until the water level is either so low the motor wont pick it up, or you are at the water level of the boats water line.

The other way is to find out where in that motor the water pump is and fill up to that point, start the otor, and then drain it lower from there.

I am going to check my depth finder....I may use this trough hull to install transducer..........I know where the water pump is....replaced impeller myself :-)....in the barrel there was no circulation when water level was at the bottom flat level......but you're right ....lowering water level from the pump down, will give me an idea how low water level can be for the system to work

Wow, it's even prettier in the water. Thanks for the tip on the book. I can see some digging in my future!

Well, I purchased the book off eBay.......I can copy pages with the design if you want

Good work, have fun with the boat.
    ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

I may take you up on that if I can't find a copy somewhere. I've got this addiction to collecting plans, "Just in case". I will be in touch.

the work on the boat continues......
    Atomic 4 is almost done.....my mechanic decided that main components are in good shape. Had alternator and started converted to 12V. Oil pump had to be rebuild - with parts from Moyer Marine - wider gears. The oil pressure was where needed to be during testing - fantastic news. In a few weeks motor will be bench run for at least an hour, and adjustment made if needed.
    The boat itself was sitting for 2 summers now......but......last weekend Bruce stopped by and leaks in the hull were located in matter of minutes. Trough hull water intake is being dismantled - new hardware will be purchased today at West Marine. Drain plug will be eliminated and hole plugged.
    Next weekend leaks will be stopped.....exposing connections along the keel and saturating it with CPES.......
    ....it was established that machinists are not good boat builders