Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning out a tree stump

Default Re: Burning out a tree stump

Yep, I now have abed of coals 8" deep and 12 wide built up around the base. No smoke.
    It's 9.20 pm, ill pour it out at 11, keep the hose flowing around it and watch it till midnight. Leave the hose on and get up around 2 am to check it.

Eek, my daughter uploaded those from photobucket

Get the kids out there with some marshmellows, watch bush TV, boil the billy roll the swag out you could be anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Meli View Post
    Is it a total fire ban here?nIn central melb?
    I wouldn't think so.
    its cool and sort of raining on and off.
    the fire is only 18" high and well controlled to a 12 inch coal bed.
    hot agaist the stump, cool on the outside.
    I had already checked (it's not a Total ban), why didn't you?
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Eek, my daughter uploaded those from photobucket

She needs to start a thread called "What Crazy Thing My Mother Is Doing Now". Lots of pics, lots..........

Well If you want a thread as long as Ians pics.
    I didnt chech because ignorance is bliss when you really need to do something NOW!!
    totally irresponsible? Well not really, I wouldnt have done it if I lived in a dry area.

woohoo the entire stump is now glowing from within.
    we did eat dinner around it, well Lauren and I did.
    The boy is mourning the loss of his kendo practice stump.

I tried to burn out a moderate sized maple stump about 10 years back. The stump won, though it eventually succumbed to ax, pry bar and mattock.

Later stumps went easily to grinders, once our local tool rental outfit got one in stock.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Well maybe I've discovered a new method.
    keep the top of the stump cool and damp.the intense heat around the base has no where to go but inside.
    Prolly a physics thingo

Probably not, it will act as a heat sink.
    If at first you fail, you need to expand your sample size.

Wassat?

keep the top of the stump cool and damp.
    why
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

There is a thermic connection between the bottom of the log and the top, if you cool the top, the bottom will not get as hot as it could be.

It is, however, possible that the cooler temperature makes the air behave strangely, thus preventing hot air to escape, that could make it hotter, that would of course also obstruct oxygen. You could always yank an oxigen tank from a passing elderly person or hospital to make up for that, though I can envision some issues. (Like angry people and explosions).
    If at first you fail, you need to expand your sample size.

Maybe her elderly neighbours have an oxygen tank? Meli, knock on their door and ask...they're probably still up.

Well I've killed three birds with one stone tonight.
    given the garden a realy good soak hopefully the grass and plants will revive from the 40 degree heat by monday.
    Cleared up all the old timber haning around my shed and the BBQ wood box.
    Got rid of an ugly tree stump.
    effort ? A pleasant playing with the hose while consuming dinner cooked by the daughter and quaffing a couple of glasses of champers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Galyen View Post
    Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass long bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. Keep in mind this was 99.999% humidity swampland so there really wasn't any fire danger. I'll put it this way- a set of post hole diggers and a 3ft. hole and you had yourself a well.

One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (ether). The light bulb went off. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner... let's face it to a 10 yr. old mouth-breather like myself ether really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of dads muzzleloader pyrodex. At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the ether can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie... 1lb pyrodex and 16oz ether should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Heck with that. I'm going back in the house for the other can. Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too.

Now we're cookin'. I stepped back about 15ft and lit the 2 stroke arrow.

I drew the nock to my cheek and let fly. As I released I heard a swish as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck... OH CRAP he just got home from work. So help me God it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WTF look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can. Oh. Hell. When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 MF'n decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1ft above the ground as far as I could see.

It was like a little low to the ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a crawfish or two. The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this... THE DAMN DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE. There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was". That mother got up and ran off. So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my thundercats T-shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOUR BRINGIN' EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE GOLL DAMIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft. behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000ft over our backyard. There is a Honda 185s 3 wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires. I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don't know- I know I said something. I couldn't hear. I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either... not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later.... repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR so dad could beat me some more. Bring him back to life so dad can kill him again. Thanks mom.

One thing is for sure... I never had to mow around that stump again. Mom had been bitching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business. Dad sold his muzzleloaders a week or so later.

And I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality either from the blast or the beating. Or both.

I guess what I'm trying to is, get your kids into archery.

Its good discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life
    ---

oh good grief, must be the third time I've read that and I'm shaking with laughter.

Let's get Meli a bow and arrow set for her Birthday.

At this point I'm struggling to breath. great story.

Hmm Liam does archery, I wont let him read that.

Ok, time to put it out.

I would have cut it as close to the ground as possible then put some pretty potted plants around it. Save extraction for another time when money or time allowed.

Thx for the story Paul, there's a reason dad didn't want guns in a house of three boys. We burned and blew up enough already.
    Last edited by LeeG; 01-08-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Well the daemon tree isstill resisting. i just put out the fire. Took 10 minutes of playing the hose on it untill it apppears dead.
    Ill give it another soak in about 15 mins.
    The fire has penitrated the wood maybe 3/4 of an inch at the base after being covered with really hot coals for 6 hours.

: Cry
    oh well, I can burn it some more tomorrow night

this is why I didnt attempt to cut it Lee.

this is why I didnt attempt to cut it Lee.
    Now that you've case hardened it, you'll never be able to cut it out.

Its about 3 inchs thinner. Ill have a go with bow saw tomorrow and if too hard, I'll sculpt to and cover it with epoxy

I only read as far as #17 which I much second, having fought a few root fires, one of which went on for weeks despite repeated soakings and a few heavy rains. Your little fire might not have made a big start and might not present a lingering risk but you really can't tell that easily from the surface, especially not since you have no experience with underground fires and have no idea whether it's going or not.

In the hope that it's really out, plant a shallow root decorative vine on top of the stump, maybe low fence it so you maintain the boarder, and call it a day. A good nursery can sell you something for transplanting so it looks good from the very start. In a few decades the stump will rot. God takes care of all in the long run.

Edited to add: I remember one underground fire in the Oregon Cascades, west side where it's wet. Some bright-eyed campers had made their cook fire atop a doug fir stump left from logging. They put it out. It rained. About a week later it broke out in some dense salal at the end of the stumps root system. Even though spotted early and engaged promptely, that fire took out a few hundred acres before being brought under control. The forensics into the cause were fascinating.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 01-08-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Get your small shovel, dig a bit around the base. Stick your fast running hose in there and start bailing mud. You will be surprised at how much dirt you can remove around the roots. Once you have the roots exposed by washing and bailing you can easily cut them off. That is a relatively small stump and it shouldn't take but an hour or so.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Any burn will leave a scar that will be an eyesore for a lot longer than 3 weeks. Cut it down flush with the ground and put a lawn chair over it.

... preferably with a kiddie-pool just in front.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Get your small shovel, dig a bit around the base. Stick your fast running hose in there and start bailing mud. You will be surprised at how much dirt you can remove around the roots. Once you have the roots exposed by washing and bailing you can easily cut them off. That is a relatively small stump and it shouldn't take but an hour or so.
    One place I lived had dozens of trees planted too close to the foundation. The big pines in the lawn I had ground out with a stump grinder but ones Meli's size came out with pick, breaking bar, water shovel and ax. Always wanted to do the KNO3 soak method but long smoldering open fires and California summers is just a bad idea.

Just call on one of your Yank friends....surely they could afford to send you a small amount of HE from their home defense kits sufficient to blow the stump to kingdom come!

for the dimwitted:
    This is called sarcasim. Not to be taken seriously
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

If you try this, put some plywood on your shed windows first.

My grandfather used to burn out stumps on the farm. Dad said they would wait until the winter after months of rain and then build a big fire and keep it burning for weeks.

So it's not a fast process, but we have BIG stumps here
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Oh for heaven's sakes! Hire a good stump grinder, and have him or her take away most of the sawdust.

No spare cash. My labour is free.

Rent a stump grinder yourself from a tool rental shop, and save the labour rate. Have them deliver and pick up.

It really is the easiest way I've found - after having a similar result to the one you've described in trying to burn out a stump, 3 much bigger ones were taken out in the course of an afternoon with an appropriately big piece of kit.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

No spare cash. My labour is free.
    Excellent! When you're done there, I have about 12 cords of wood that need splitting, and stacking! I'll expect you to provide your own lunch of course.....