Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning out a tree stump

Default Re: Burning out a tree stump

oh good grief, must be the third time I've read that and I'm shaking with laughter.

Let's get Meli a bow and arrow set for her Birthday.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

At this point I'm struggling to breath. great story.

Hmm Liam does archery, I wont let him read that.

Ok, time to put it out.

I would have cut it as close to the ground as possible then put some pretty potted plants around it. Save extraction for another time when money or time allowed.

Thx for the story Paul, there's a reason dad didn't want guns in a house of three boys. We burned and blew up enough already.
    Last edited by LeeG; 01-08-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Well the daemon tree isstill resisting. i just put out the fire. Took 10 minutes of playing the hose on it untill it apppears dead.
    Ill give it another soak in about 15 mins.
    The fire has penitrated the wood maybe 3/4 of an inch at the base after being covered with really hot coals for 6 hours.

: Cry
    oh well, I can burn it some more tomorrow night

this is why I didnt attempt to cut it Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Meli View Post
    this is why I didnt attempt to cut it Lee.
    Now that you've case hardened it, you'll never be able to cut it out.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Its about 3 inchs thinner. Ill have a go with bow saw tomorrow and if too hard, I'll sculpt to and cover it with epoxy

I only read as far as #17 which I much second, having fought a few root fires, one of which went on for weeks despite repeated soakings and a few heavy rains. Your little fire might not have made a big start and might not present a lingering risk but you really can't tell that easily from the surface, especially not since you have no experience with underground fires and have no idea whether it's going or not.

In the hope that it's really out, plant a shallow root decorative vine on top of the stump, maybe low fence it so you maintain the boarder, and call it a day. A good nursery can sell you something for transplanting so it looks good from the very start. In a few decades the stump will rot. God takes care of all in the long run.

Edited to add: I remember one underground fire in the Oregon Cascades, west side where it's wet. Some bright-eyed campers had made their cook fire atop a doug fir stump left from logging. They put it out. It rained. About a week later it broke out in some dense salal at the end of the stumps root system. Even though spotted early and engaged promptely, that fire took out a few hundred acres before being brought under control. The forensics into the cause were fascinating.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 01-08-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Get your small shovel, dig a bit around the base. Stick your fast running hose in there and start bailing mud. You will be surprised at how much dirt you can remove around the roots. Once you have the roots exposed by washing and bailing you can easily cut them off. That is a relatively small stump and it shouldn't take but an hour or so.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Any burn will leave a scar that will be an eyesore for a lot longer than 3 weeks. Cut it down flush with the ground and put a lawn chair over it.
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

... preferably with a kiddie-pool just in front.
    We must go too far in order to know how far to go. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Get your small shovel, dig a bit around the base. Stick your fast running hose in there and start bailing mud. You will be surprised at how much dirt you can remove around the roots. Once you have the roots exposed by washing and bailing you can easily cut them off. That is a relatively small stump and it shouldn't take but an hour or so.
    One place I lived had dozens of trees planted too close to the foundation. The big pines in the lawn I had ground out with a stump grinder but ones Meli's size came out with pick, breaking bar, water shovel and ax. Always wanted to do the KNO3 soak method but long smoldering open fires and California summers is just a bad idea.

Just call on one of your Yank friends....surely they could afford to send you a small amount of HE from their home defense kits sufficient to blow the stump to kingdom come!

for the dimwitted:
    This is called sarcasim. Not to be taken seriously
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

If you try this, put some plywood on your shed windows first.

My grandfather used to burn out stumps on the farm. Dad said they would wait until the winter after months of rain and then build a big fire and keep it burning for weeks.

So it's not a fast process, but we have BIG stumps here
    The cure for everything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
    Isak Dinesen

Oh for heaven's sakes! Hire a good stump grinder, and have him or her take away most of the sawdust.

No spare cash. My labour is free.

Rent a stump grinder yourself from a tool rental shop, and save the labour rate. Have them deliver and pick up.

It really is the easiest way I've found - after having a similar result to the one you've described in trying to burn out a stump, 3 much bigger ones were taken out in the course of an afternoon with an appropriately big piece of kit.
    "It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." - Oscar Wilde

No spare cash. My labour is free.
    Excellent! When you're done there, I have about 12 cords of wood that need splitting, and stacking! I'll expect you to provide your own lunch of course.....

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday Meli, I might have saved you some trouble. I tried burning a hardwood one out at home over Christmas, though quite a bit smaller than yours - ie about 4 - 5" above ground and 8 - 10" across, it was in the path of where I needed to drag a rainwater tank into position. I didn't bother trying to dig around it because the ground was mostly coffee rock/shale and I was feeling a bit lazy so drilled a few holes down into it with an auger bit, filled them with diesel and soaked the stump in diesel as best I could then built a small fire over it. (It was too close to the shed for a big fire)

The whole thing burnt well for an afternoon and smouldered over night but by the time I wanted to move the tank I reckon I'd lost at best 2" off the stump. So I ended up digging around it, as I should have in the start, and hacking the rest down with a mattock low enough to slide the tank over it.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mrleft8 View Post
    Any burn will leave a scar that will be an eyesore for a lot longer than 3 weeks. Cut it down flush with the ground and put a lawn chair over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Just call on one of your Yank friends....surely they could afford to send you a small amount of HE from their home defense kits sufficient to blow the stump to kingdom come!

for the dimwitted:
    This is called sarcasim. Not to be taken seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    that'll be two or three days of burning to get it down to ground level... I think you made a tactical error... now the burned remainder won't even rot
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit View Post
    Oh for heaven's sakes! Hire a good stump grinder, and have him or her take away most of the sawdust.

thank all you blokes, bit late. i think like the sculpt and epoxy option
    Someone around here will believe its a Melanie Klutz original..

Oh thought it was going to be snags in bread with dead horse tonight, damn.

We cut it with a bow saw, (well buttered) down to 24". I'll plonk a basket of nasturtiums on it.

Lucky the fire didn't spread to the old ruin in the background, also very lucky your neighbours didn't call the authorities as it might have cost a lot more than the price of the stump muncher.
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

We cut it with a bow saw, (well buttered) down to 24". I'll plonk a basket of nasturtiums on it.
    I got rid of a camphor laurel stump by running a circular saw across it in a cross-hatch pattern. Then I smashed it down with a lump hammer and ran a power plane across it and repeated with the circular saw again. Took about an hour and the stump was about a metre across and about 500 mm high.
    I got the cross hatching idea from having another tree cut down by tree loppers. They ran a chain saw across the stump to allow rain into the stump so it would rot quicker.
    Watch for kickback...
    "I'm not gonna spend any time looking up stuff."
    "If you want specifics you'll have to look them up."
    "To answer your particular question would require much more time than I am willing to commit at the moment..."
    I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

I got rid of a stump with a stump grinder.

Amazingly effective. Easy even.

Funny how doing a job right can be easy and satisfying.
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by doorstop View Post
    Lucky the fire didn't spread to the old ruin in the background, also very lucky your neighbours didn't call the authorities as it might have cost a lot more than the price of the stump muncher.
    That old ruin in the background is a solid, 15 year old workshop.
    built to match the style of the house. Timber tongue and grooved floor, on concrete stumps, custom built 10x3 workbench
    South facing clear roof panel and fully insulated.
    I had the builder use recycled sash windows and door.
    Insult me, but dont insult my workshop.
    yeah, I never got around to painting it. Thats Saturdays job.
    Yesterday was not a fire ban day here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I got rid of a stump with a stump grinder.

Amazingly effective. Easy even.

Funny how doing a job right can be easy and satisfying.
    bugger off Ian.
    I have 1500 dollars in my bank account.
    shortly I will need to pay bond and rent.
    that money is tagged for tanbark and plants.
    I do what I can.

My schedule thursday to monday morning.
    Tonight I am working in the garden because itis cool.and clearing space in both the shed and workshop
    thurs 37c i'll be packing boxes and putting them in the old ruin, re arranging my furniture, all heavy old antiques.
    this is after I have just finished 4 hours moving 1.5 tons of books. Then Ill drive and pick up 30 sacks of tan bark.
    thurs night I'll be painting the old ruin and the back verandah.
    Friday, I'll be clarning carpets and after the sun gets of the western wall, painting that. (After another 4 hours on the courier run.
    Saturday, I'll be up at 6, gardening on the north side. And laying abrick border around the tan bark I layed last week, and putting tan bark on the garden beds. I will also be continuing to paint on the west side.
    Sunday, Ill be tidying and cleaning windows, taking down curtains.

Dont give me the ****s about having time to source and use and PAY FOR a stump grinder.
    Last edited by Meli; 01-09-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Meli.... consider yourself lucky for avoiding a multi thousand dollars fine for lighting a fire without a permit.

But yes... I understand why you didn't get a stump grinder. Incidentally, I have several similar size stumps around here. The one I ground out was years ago. The more recent ones, I simpy cut off at ground level with a saw and left them. They aren't intrusive or a problem of any kind.

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

We dont need a permit.

We dont need a permit.
    Wanna bet?

Its the Fire Danger Period.... You must have a permit..... They won't grant one for what you did.

What? You need a permit for something the size of a BBQ fire.
    well maybe if you are silly enough to tell a call centre person you are burning a stump.
    they are not encouraged to ask Inteligent questions.
    Why antagonise the dears?

Yep

It's just a little amusing.
    On the one hand you regale the fans with your tales of daring do.. Crossing international borders on the mighty bike without a visa etc.
    and on the other hand, nit pick with me about not getting a permit for burning a small stump in my back yard on a non fireban day.
    hmmm?

Walter Mitty rides again ?
    Or just being a PITA ?
    I guess one of us is a real risk taker.

The issue is that the fine is huge and they are looking for people to hang out to dry

We dont need a permit.
    If it's not a Fire Danger Period or Total Fire Ban you don't need a permit.
    http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-r...danger-period/
    http://cfaonline.cfa.vic.gov.au/mycf...showFrImageMap Dunno if this one will work.

If you click on the red rectangle it will show you a map of restricted areas. You can see that there are no restrictions for your part of Melbourne (Inner Metropolitan Melbourne). It's the little white part just above Port Phillip Bay.
    So there you go...burn the house down if you like.
    Last edited by stevebaby; 01-09-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    "To answer your particular question would require much more time than I am willing to commit at the moment..."

Thanks, common sense sort of told me that

Thanks, common sense sort of told me that
    Fait accompli anyway.

Well sort of:

Yes, I know they are upside down, my daughter took them with this stupid iPad.

You really do like doing stuff bass ackwards don't you?
    First of all, why didn't you just cut the thing off at ground level? Someone had a saw out at some point to lop off the leaders and branches.... Just looks like they got bored and stopped halfway through the job.....
    Second You're ruining what's left of your brick pathway....
    Thirdly, why are you feeding it water if you want it to burn? I dunno how it works down under, but up here we use water to stop a fire, not encourage it.....

Yes, I know they are upside down, my daughter took them with this stupid iPad.
    You can rotate them after they are in Photobucket.

Thirdly, why are you feeding it water if you want it to burn?
    By keeping the top of the stump cool she's creating a "heat barrier" so the heat stays down by the roots where it does the most good.

Read the posts, this was already explained.

Ah..... I must have been napping during that thermodynamics lesson.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    ...having fought a few root fires, one of which went on for weeks despite repeated soakings and a few heavy rains. Your little fire might not have made a big start and might not present a lingering risk but you really can't tell that easily from the surface, especially not since you have no experience with underground fires and have no idea whether it's going or not...

...Edited to add: I remember one underground fire in the Oregon Cascades, west side where it's wet. Some bright-eyed campers had made their cook fire atop a doug fir stump left from logging. They put it out. It rained. About a week later it broke out in some dense salal at the end of the stumps root system. Even though spotted early and engaged promptely, that fire took out a few hundred acres before being brought under control. The forensics into the cause were fascinating.

One of my old LTs tried burning out a below ground bees nests by dumping gasoline down the hole, set his row of evergreen shrubs on fire from the ground up. He eventually had to tear up every one of the shrubs with a backhoe in order to make sure all the fires were out.
    It must be 20 years ago and we still won’t let him forget that incident.

Around here you cannot open burn but to be honest I feel stupid pulling up to a house and dowsing some poor family’s camp style fire. There’s almost never any harm and most people are surprisingly responsible with the containment. Usually I say, under my breath, to next time have a pack of hot dogs ready so they can claim it’s a cook fire as this now makes it legal.

Bill
    LHFD

Ah..... I must have been napping during that thermodynamics lesson.......
    Habits don't go away

You really do like doing stuff bass ackwards don't you?...
    I prefere to call it innovative thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    By keeping the top of the stump cool she's creating a "heat barrier" so the heat stays down by the roots where it does the most good.

Read the posts, this was already explained.
    Well that was the theory. it also was to prevent the stump becoming a flaming torch and torching the walnut tree.