Thread: Canadian Fleet. Motor Yacht Gleniffer, 1912

Default Canadian Fleet. Motor Yacht Gleniffer, 1912

Gleniffer is a Burma teak powerboat built in Hong Kong in 1912. For more history and phots visit gleniffer.ca

Default Re: Canadian Fleet. Motor Yacht Gleniffer, 1912

Pics, we need pics. especially of all the work you have done....!! Ugly is good.. so let's see that starboard side!

For you other Forumites.. I met Tom at the CYA Change of Watch event in SF last week. He and his wife Stephanie were on the Acania cruise.

Great people, cool boat...

S
    Last edited by Cogeniac; 01-27-2014 at 02:16 AM.
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

A little over a year between posts. That's pretty good!

I agree, more pictures please. There are some power boat fans here too.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Does it have a Gleniffer engine?

An excellent question,thanks. In the British Blue Book registry her original engine is named as a three cylinder Lycombing, manufactured in the United States. I have tried to research photos or documents of a pre world War One Lycombing three cylinder, but so far have found no documentation. Gleniffer was built in Bailey's Shipyard, Kowloon Bay , Hong Kong in 1912. She was delivered new to Vancouver, British Columbia along with her larger sister ship, the WALRONDA. Interestingly, WALRONDA was fitted originally with two Gleniffer engines. The word" Gleniffer" I presume to be an ancient Gaelic female name, as well as a "county" in Scotland, as in "The Braes of Gleniffer". There is a certain irony that the teak and canoe sterned yacht Gleniffer was so named in 1912 and that her teak and canoe sterned sister had Gleniffer engines.
    Gleniffer has had a six cylinder Kermath, and a six cylinder Chrysler Crown. When the block cracked on the Crown, her first diesel was installed, her present Chrysler/Nissan six cylinder HD 33. At any rate, when you are aboard Gleniffer and lift the engine room floor boards , it is interesting to see her keelson far forward adzed out for what must have been a large and heavy flywheel, then oil pan. In 1912,( the early days of The Horseless Carriage,really,) these long, narrow internal- combustion power boats must have been at the height of technology.

Sorry, I would love to attach photos from my computer photo library, but the site says that only a small portion would appear. A complicated system.

Not complicated. You just need an internet photo host. Real photographers use dedicated sites. Folk like me just use FaceBook. There are several threads of instructions, most written for PC rather than Mac. But it all starts with having your pix on the internet and moving from there, not from your photo library.

An earlier Gleniffer

No attribution but the image is a Photomezzotype,and was probably taken before 1895. St Andrew’s flag flies on the forepeak. From my own collection. I've mused that this might be her maiden voyage, she looks new.

The next generation of Wooden Boat enthusiasts enjoying a warm fall day in Ganges, B.C. Canada

The beautiful Scottish sailing yacht, Gleniffer. Lovely photo.

Then there's this:
    " Mr James Coats Jun.’s yacht ‘Gleniffer’ awaiting the ‘Scotia’ in Lamlash Bay
    Description: plastic negativeCollection: Scottish National Antarctic Expedition 1902-04
    Date: 1903"

and this: http://www.freezeframe.ac.uk/categor...1902-04/page/3

and this: http://www.freezeframe.ac.uk/tag/row...=x&slideshow=1
    (note the folding boat in the slide show)
    Designer probably Alfred Mylne, he had a tie up with the Glen-Coats family and one member was apprenticed as a designer under Mylne. http://www.mylne.com/media/pdfs/Myln...gatta%2009.pdf

Last edited by skuthorp; 02-13-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Gleniffer at Glenthorne Passage Southern gulf Islands, British Columbia -2014

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    An earlier Gleniffer

No attribution but the image is a Photomezzotype,and was probably taken before 1895. St Andrew’s flag flies on the forepeak. From my own collection. I've mused that this might be her maiden voyage, she looks new.

now we're talking!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Gleniffer was delivered new from Hong kong and registered in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1912.
    As can often be found in this early era of motorboating, She has no wheelhouse and is open aft but for removable canvas awnings.
    Of note is the forward facing lifting boom, and dinghy chocks on the port deck.

Gleniffer underway in the 1940's

Hi Skuthorp. I'm currently doing research on the Coats yacht the Gleniffer in your image. I haven't seen this image before, do you have a copy of it? I would love to know any more you know about the boat!