Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian mini tug build

Default Re: Tasmanian mini tug build

Any old celery top or King Billy in your stash ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Unfotunately not, sadly the joinery shop I used to work in down here was a very "traditional" shop and I was always surrounded by every unique tassie timber available but never thouht to stockpile some for a later date.......and dont get me started on the machinery

Bit of a jump but here's the lower stern panels in place and the foredeck epoxied in.

Looking good mate!

Quote Originally Posted by mermod View Post

Bit of a jump but here's the lower stern panels in place and the foredeck epoxied in.

More like a leap than a jump! How did you get from the two halves joined at the stem to this? So many nitty gritty details missing.

Looking good and hope to see more pictures as you continue to assemble her.

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    More like a leap than a jump! How did you get from the two halves joined at the stem to this? So many nitty gritty details missing.

Looking good and hope to see more pictures as you continue to assemble her.

Cheers!

Peter
    The hound looks just as shocked!!! She's thinking: "Hmmmm, that's a might nice sized food bowl he's got sitting there for me! When's he gonna fill it up for me and let me at it???"

But it's great to see the shape coming out Phill, 'must have been worth a toast when you stepped back to admire that.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

What she is actually thinking is, gosh it was funny before when I stole the only tape measure and hid it and my master spent 2 hours thinking he was goind mad.

What she is actually thinking is, gosh it was funny before when I stole the only tape measure and hid it and my master spent 2 hours thinking he was goind mad.

.....that's why they say dogs keep you sane, they give you an excuse when you think you're not.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Had a bit of a play with the shape of the stem today, still not sure, might run the bevel a bit higher.

anyone know how to rotate a picture once its up?

Here's a view of the innards so far, according to the plans there should be a shelf about 300mm up from the bottom around the interior but I didnt like them and the hull sides pulled together much better without them.

general view with upper stern panels in place, all screws were removed once the epoxy was set.

a very messy view of the inside at the stern.

A chair in the cockpit!? You're almost there and the weather looks good for a run down the river!!

Almost gets me to thinking about adding the tiny pilothouse aft,use the outboard motor box as a seat and keep the forward part as cockpit.....crazy ideas, just crazy,I say!

Thanks for the nice up-date, looking good!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I know this is going to be a really nice looking boat, but I think you should reconsider the cabin shelf. I believe it is the deck,shelf stringer and shelf and cabin sides all tied together that gives this fat little 1/4" ply TUG it's monocoque strength and stiffness. This design may not be appreciated by many on this forum but the engineering and thought that Berkeley put into it is impressive.
    Now that you're about ready for the cap rail you should look up a recent post called "nibbed scarf". It came about a day after I did mine,sure wish I had that information sooner!
    I'm glad you are sharing this with everyone. THanks D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by M. J. Notigan View Post
    I've got plans for the Can-du-EZ, too! Well drawn out, clear and concise. I love this design, it just looks right. Looking forward to this build and also an update with DCBrown's Can-du build. Happy New Year!
    Mike
    Mike, I was wondering if you would spot this thread :-)

I noticed you are having some problems with epoxy dripping all over the place. I suspect you were working in pretty warm temperatures where the stuff flowed like watered-down maple syrup. May I suggest you add a filler to your epoxies to give it just a little more viscosity? Also, as your epoxy starts curing, do walk-around and scrape off any green epoxy from where it doesn't belong. This might save you time and some sanding disks.

Hi capefox, thanks for looking in, believe it or not I had heaps of filler in that epoxy, you might notice the brown colour but it was a very warm evening and the runs turned out to be e nice surprise for me the next morning.
    Gday DCBrown, I know what you mean about the strength in those shelves but I'm having trouble giving up all that space, thinking of bending and laminating some oak strips to run around the inside of the hull where the shelves should be and supporting the deck and wheelhouse with something like the knee at the base of the stem.
    Thanks again guys for your interest.

Friendly progress bump......
    J.Lennon

Thanks for the friendly bump, no progress to report for 2 reasons, the weather down here has been pretty bad lately so she's all tarped up and I have lost my job so no funds, at least I have plenty of unfinished model boats to keep me happy.Phill

Phill,
    Sorry to hear about your job loss and I hope you are able to get on the employment rolls asap. We'll all be standing by with best wishes and sincere hopes for that day to come soon and look forward to your next Can Du installment when you are able!
    Take Care,
    Mike

Very sorry to read you've lost your job, Phil. While there is little I can do about your weather, I can certainly wish you the very best of luck in securing gainful employment in the near to imminent future.

We can all wait until you're back in the saddle!

Cheers!

Peter
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 04-09-2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: can't spell your
    J.Lennon

Thanks for that, I'm not too optomistic about finding work any time soon, may even have to consider leaving the state as there is no light at the end of the tunnel here at the moment, many of the young families we know have left for the mainland, even the neighbors have left and now rent their place out. Most of the major businesses here are dissolving due to a mix of the GFC, high aussie dollar and bad government but atleast the greenies will be happy, no people and trees right to the waters edge.

Wow It's been a while but I managed to get her un-tarped and did a bit of sanding today! I have started thinking about the outboard installation, normally the outboard sits on a small transom inside the hull which requires a chunk of the outer skin to be cut out for the wash, I really don't like the look of a big hole in the back of my boat so I'm thinking of setting the motor in a well like some dories I have seen, can anyone suggest why this wouldn't work?

Welcome back, Phil and I hope things are going well for you. Regarding the motor in a well bit, a lot of Carolina dories like the Simmons Sea Skiff did this as a matter of keeping the motor running when running onto a beach or avoiding wave action on the transom. So, no problems there. If not moved too far forward, you should maintain proper steerage.

Regarding the Simmons Sea Skiff http://www.simmonsseaskiff.com/ and boats of that design, I always wondered about carbon monoxide in the interior of the boat, what little there may be out of the small exhaust ports on the upper housing of most outboards. Probably minimal considering the open cockpit design, as yours would be too. Just wondering.....

Best Regards,
    Mike

Hello,Phil.The wash has to go some where! My well is 16 in. wide by 18 in. tall. More epoxy yet to go on. Good to see you're back at the boat. D.C.

make the final cut out in the transom after you mount the motor. You might be able to make it smaller. I was able to male mine considerably smaller on this build; http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/LB2....htm?prod=LB22

Thanks for the replies guys, nothing like two opposite opinions to fill me with confidence, I did find this page, if the link works theres a picture about 5 pics down that shows what I'm thinking http://ckdboats.blogspot.com.au/2009_07_19_archive.html

Hi all, I am still alive and hoping to do some work on the tug over Christmas, In the meantime here's a pic of a model I have been working on for a client. She is a Damen Stantug 1606 named Wattle 1:20 scale with full R/C and totally scratchbuilt.

these things are so clunky, they're cute

thanks for dragging us along

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Phil,
    Gosh, you do great work! And it sure is great to see you back. Love the model and especially the pilothouse set up with the Western slanted windows and the overhead windows for tug work. I could see a 20 foot version of this boat on the river, with me piloting her. How could you not be tempted to toss a towing hawser to someone, anyone, needing a tow!

Could you explain the purpose of the plexiglass roof?

Best Regards,
    Mike

Is this too mundane Lifer? a bit more marking out today.
    All that neatness and everything and a full cup of coffee too! WOW
    That does it, I am going to put coffee and doughnuts in my next presentation! LOL..lol
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Thanks for the photos and the story!
    I hope all is going well.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Thanks guys, good to be back. Mike the plexiglass roof is one of the first actual pieces of the wheelhouse as the MDF is only a test until I know everything fits straight off the laser, I prefer acrylic (plexiglass) imagine getting away with on coat of primer and no grain to fill plus it never rots or goes soggy (now that I think about it the roof was done to make sure the base of the mast locked into place, since then all the holes for the stanchions have been added ready for lasercutting)

Now that its sort of summer here in Tasmania its nearly time to untarp the tug. I have been googling various bits and bobs andI was just wondering if anyone can recommend a supplier of pretty chrome sotlihs here in Aus, and yes I do realise its way too soon for that.