Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14232425 LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian mini tug build

Default Re: Tasmanian mini tug build

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Good car, but she doesn't look up to tugging your tug... if you can find a few more, two or three shackled together might do it.
    Way ahead of you, I've acquired 3 more

Phill

Ha ha. Well done! Now you just need a way to harness up the team.

A tad more done on the tug today, trying to finish off the side panel that supports the throttle but i'm also going to mount the fuse box in it as well, I'm thinking it'll be nice and easy to get at but still out of the way, also trial fitted the timber edge and the switch panel, after taking this pic it was removed and prepped for undercoat, luckily I bought a 4 litre of primer prior to the Covid apocalypse
    I've also thrown on a pic of the fit of the door and it's furniture, I planned to use a nice polished stainless set but it wouldn't clear the rebate so I went with a more traditional set, plus side is that I get to use a big brass key

Phill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice key.

Hi Phill
    Very nicely done, some outstanding thought gone into many small details on your Eastman Tug. Are you on target for a launch next spring or so?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M. J. Notigan View Post
    Hi Phill
    Very nicely done, some outstanding thought gone into many small details on your Eastman Tug. Are you on target for a launch next spring or so?
    Mike
    I don't dare set launch dates anymore but I would like to have it done for my daughters birthday in October, I can see supplies are going to be an issue very shortly, plus the fact that the boat is about 20 minutes drive from my house which I guess is non essential travel however it is my wifes workplace so we might still be able to get out there.

Phill

Today's job was to get some paint on the inside of the hull which becomes the void for flotation foam, not super important but it certainly neatens it up, the only people that know it's there will be me and anyone watching this thread
    After painting I had just enough time to clean up the door frame that fits over the fuse box panel.

Phill

I posted elsewhere asking about speakers for my tug and in the end I got hold of a set of Kicker marine speakers, I know it's frivolous but I do like my music on the move anyway here's a few pics of the fitting of those speakers.
    Due to the curve I had to raise them up on a 4mm packer then sand the sides of that packer to conform to that curve.

You may notice in the last pic that I have the dash sitting temporarily in place, I forgot it was there until next morning when I was doing some sanding on the roof and heard one heck of a crash inside, found it laying on the wheelhouse floor with the front lip smashed off

One wonders what tunes a tug might best be driven with?

One wonders what tunes a tug might best be driven with?
    I had this conversation in the car with the kids, suggestions were, 6 months in a leaking boat, and theme song from Titanic

At work we fitted out a trawler and I fondly remember when the sparkies finished wiring up the galley sound system and absolutely cranked it up playing Hot Chilli Woman by Noiseworks so I'm thinking that needs to be the first song I play for a bit of nostalgia

Phill

You'd have to have "The Mighty Quinn" ....."everybody's building ships and boats"

She doesn't have sails which thankfully cuts out the Rod Stewart option.

She doesn't have sails which thankfully cuts out the Rod Stewart option.
    I hope the kids don't discover that one before we pick up our sailboat in a few weeks

Next job was to fit a small folding table in the wheelhouse, just enough room to boil the kettle

Don't let the dodgy plywood top fool you, this will be given the same treatment as the cockpit floor with Jarrah and Celery top Pine.

I also got a coat of white on the roof, all going well one more coat should do it, then I can move onto the walls

Can anyone spot the fly

One last shot for tonight, I've been putting off sanding under the cap rail for quite some time as it's awkward and kills my back but I managed to get one side done and primed.

I see the fly in the second picture...she's really coming together.

Ah yes, the unwritten law of finishing. When ever one applies the last brush stroke an insect will appear out of nowhere and land in it.

The Bote Cote products have an insect repellent in them which thankfully deters most but there's always the determined one that will land somewhere.

A few more update photos, sanding and spraying a coat of primer on the interior.

It's an awful time of year to be spraying but I'm persevering anyway, I got 2 coats of Norglass gloss white cut with flattening agent to cut the gloss level by half just for the inside of the wheelhouse, then re-installed the side console with it's timber strip, on / off panel and box for the fuse panel.......
    I must admit that there is a couple of runs but I'm hoping to touch these up at a later date, either that or just leave em alone and hope no one sees them

While I had the varnish open I put another coat on the handrails........

I must admit that there is a couple of runs but I'm hoping to touch these up at a later date, either that or just leave em alone and hope no one sees them [/QUOTE]

I can`t see any runs from here! Like all your work, it`s looking great!

Greetings fom Germany

Alan

Not a whole lot of progress, too darn cold down here at the moment, I did do a test fit of the throttle/gear control and the fuse box.....

I can`t see any runs from here! Like all your work, it`s looking great!

I reckon if you look really hard you could nearly see them all the way from Germany and in the end I gave in and sanded back the whole interior then re-coated with full gloss, that way I can sand out any further paint issues and just hit it with the polisher, sadly with the satin finish that wasn't an option.

Alan[/QUOTE]

Loving the thread and progress. Started thinking about building a mini tug w/ my son. What a great project, your detail work is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
    Loving the thread and progress. Started thinking about building a mini tug w/ my son. What a great project, your detail work is fantastic!
    Thank's glad you like it, you should start one, the world needs way more mini tugs

Phill

'Always enjoy checking in on your progress here Phill, she’s looking great.

And call the runs the intentional mistakes that draw your eyes away from any other mistake (old builders trick )
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

[QUOTE=Larks;6223532]'Always enjoy checking in on your progress here Phill, she’s looking great.

Thank's Larks, the cold weather is really slowing me down, I did manage a really good final coat of paint on the door today and all the internal panels are finished and plastic wrapped to keep em clean until I put em in place, I guess the next job in the wheelhouse is fitting the flotation foam but at $300 a sheet it might be a while.
    I didn't get a photo but I gave up on trying to use traditional oil based varnish on the dashboard, I have never got on with varnish no matter how hard I try, I decided that as the dash is inside and not in direct UV that I would just spray it with 2 pack clear, much much easier

Phill

Well, through my entire tugboat build my greatest supporter has been my Dad, even when he had to go into care I would take heaps of photo's of even the smallest details and spend hours showing them to him, I was desperately hoping to have him here for the launch but sadly I lost him last Monday.

So in an effort to keep busy I did get some work done on the dashboard today....

Sorry to hear it, you have my condolences.
    You can make good use of the build now, keeping busy building in his honour.

My condolences on your Dad's passing.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Thank's for your condolences, I wasn't sure about mentioning it on here but he truly played a huge part in the build, not so much manual labour although he did help machine the keel and some other bits but he was always truly excited to see any progress, he was even there when I first saw a mini tug at the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart all those years ago.

Phill

Still too cold to spray so I've been pottering with the wiring, here's a shot of the LED cabin lights fitted in place, a small dob of sikaflex either end and the supplied double sided tape in the centre......

Ran some wires through the mast today, 2 LED spotlights, 1 all round white and the coax for the VHF, fun fun fun
    I don't have a lot of experience with LED spotlights but I was pleased to see the total load with all three lights was only 2.8 amps.

Dare I say last coat of primer on the outside of the wheelhouse today........