Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101920

Thread: Tasmanian mini tug build

Default Re: Tasmanian mini tug build

I got the black pinstripe around the edge of the white strip and the stainless strips screwed back on today, if this is all too tedious let me know and I'll hold off until I have a heap more done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bling....

Looks fantastic, please keep posting whenever you have something.

Wow, she looks great. I might have to come down to the WBF after all. We are in Launceston late January, maybe I can see her in the water then?

Not even remotely tedious. Really enjoying your posts. She looks fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Wow, she looks great. I might have to come down to the WBF after all. We are in Launceston late January, maybe I can see her in the water then?
    Hi Phil, it would be great to catch up sometime, I really thought the Festival was a sure thing but as it's gotten colder and everything's taking longer I'm not quite as confident that we will be able to make it, also I went through the list of things still to buy and everything I need happens to be about the same amount I would need to stay in Hobart with a family of 4 for the duration of the show

Phill

I'm after some advice today, the wheelhouse should be a no brainer so I'm starting to work out how to do my window frames, the plans suggest the front right one swing inwards and latch to the ceiling, I'm not too keen on that idea and would like to swing it out on something like a casement stay but I'm not too sure how to do it and keep it looking minimal, I had thought about a simple frame say 35mm x 20mm with a rebate for glass to be siliconed in, then some auto self adhesive foam tape for sealing against the wheelhouse wall, obviously with a simple hinge at the top, actually now I have taken time to sit and write this I think it might be the best option, I would prefer a traditional casement in a frame with a nice rebate but don't think I can do it without being really bulky, any thoughts, suggestions or pictures of better ideas would be appreciated.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by mermod View Post
    I'm after some advice today, the wheelhouse should be a no brainer so I'm starting to work out how to do my window frames, the plans suggest the front right one swing inwards and latch to the ceiling, I'm not too keen on that idea and would like to swing it out on something like a casement stay but I'm not too sure how to do it and keep it looking minimal, I had thought about a simple frame say 35mm x 20mm with a rebate for glass to be siliconed in, then some auto self adhesive foam tape for sealing against the wheelhouse wall, obviously with a simple hinge at the top, actually now I have taken time to sit and write this I think it might be the best option, I would prefer a traditional casement in a frame with a nice rebate but don't think I can do it without being really bulky, any thoughts, suggestions or pictures of better ideas would be appreciated.

Phill
    Or do I have them all non opening and aim for a roof hatch or couple of cowl vents?

Phill

This has to be my favourite shot so far, She's definitely going to be daddy's little boat girl, drives us crazy inside the house but will happily play in the boat for hours on end.

2018 update photo

Side walls finally epoxied in place, pictured with various straight edges holding it all while the glue dries.

Things are flying along now, I cut and screwed on some angle brackets to hold the front panels in place while the epoxy dries, this method is a throw back to my days building corner pantry units

The front hatch all done, I had to make it slightly smaller due to my oversize cap rail but I can still fit through it, I may use it as an incentive to keep my weight down

Last photo for today, all the front panels epoxied in place and left overnight to set.

Looks great. The hatch is pretty slick. Nifty idea with the corner brackets. Of course seeing that you are treating the wheel house build as a big walk in pantry, one predicts that the crew may look forward to being well fed. Could be at odds with your aim not to gain too much weight lest the hatch be too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Looks great. The hatch is pretty slick. Nifty idea with the corner brackets. Of course seeing that you are treating the wheel house build as a big walk in pantry, one predicts that the crew may look forward to being well fed. Could be at odds with your aim not to gain too much weight lest the hatch be too tight.
    I could see why you might think that but anyone that knows me will tell you you're more likely to starve waiting for me to cook something for example, the kids are home sick today so it's fish finger sandwiches for lunch, it's either that or toast when Dad's on kitchen duty.

I plan to do the hatch in the same style as the sole with the Jarrah and Celery to pine strips.....

And the hatch box section glassed, filled and epoxied ready to fit the lid when it's all set, there's snow down to 500m at the moment so everything's slow to dry.

Front hatch in place and a coat of epoxy on the cover

I also started work on the tabernacle, the plans show a simple V cut with a hinge on the back which I didn't like the look of so I'm opting for a proper folding mast, I hunted around for some 316 bits and made the pivot point then machined some nylon bushes for the side brackets.

... machined some nylon bushes for the side brackets.
    One thing I learned the hard way with plastic bushings around water - they will soak up moisture and swell. So make the bores loose Or you can soak the plastic in a tub for a while then machine to the size you want.

UHMWPE won't swell in water. Its readily available and easy to machine.