Page 1 of 19 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian mini tug build

Default Tasmanian mini tug build

Hello everyone, I'm after a bit of advice. I am just starting to build one of the Candu tugs from Berkely Engineering and I plan to use an outboard motor for propulsion, the plans call for a simple keel but I have seen some with box type keels mostly when an inboard diesel is installed.
    I was thinking of adding a box keel even though I'm installing an outboard and possibly use it for storage, extra boyancy foam, a low point for a bilge pump (just incase) and to make beaching a bit easyer, my question is would this addition alter the safety or handling in any way, I'm a cabinetmaker by trade so building is easy enough but I'm no designer so any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phill

Default Re: Tasmanian mini tug build

The additional displacement of a box keel will have to be compensated with ballast to keep the trim even. Then there may be scantling issues to compensate for the added displacement which may themselves add to the displacement...
    Have you talked to the folks at Berkely Engineering?

I have the plans for this tug. The tugs I've seen built used a box keel in order to lower the inboard engine and make room in the pilothouse. I haven't seem any with a box keel and an outboard. It also strikes me that the keel would affect steering as well as propulsion, unless you made fin keels. Post your progress and welcome to the forum mate.
    " He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist".
    St. Francis of Assis (1181-1226)

Welcome, I too am building a Candu EZ. I am using an outboard also, so I went with a 3 inch thick "skeg/keel". I'll try to post a few pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBrown View Post
    Welcome, I too am building a Candu EZ. I am using an outboard also, so I went with a 3 inch thick "skeg/keel". I'll try to post a few pictures.

Looks Great! please keeping posting.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist".

Thanks for the input guys, might be safer to stick with the basic keel like the one pictured above, the designer passed away so checking with him isnt possible.

Next silly question, duckboards or laid deck on the aft floor, If laid I will be using tas oak boards with jarrah strips sealed with epoxy but will any splashes onboard be a pain and need to be sponged or scooped straight away whereas some water could sit happily under duckboards till we got home.
    sorry if the questions seem a bit lame but Its my first full size (if you can call it that) boat.

I like duck boards due to using a boat to go to the beach . Anytime you get in or out of a boat other than from a dock you will be bringing sand and water aboard. I usually trailor my boat so I have a drain plug and removable floorboards for hosing them out.

How about an inspiration pic. This boat has a 50 hp. motor. Looks a little less tuggy when planing at close to 30 mph.

I've got plans for the Can-du-EZ, too! Well drawn out, clear and concise. I love this design, it just looks right. Looking forward to this build and also an update with DCBrown's Can-du build. Happy New Year!
    Mike

Thanks for the photo, I haven't seen that one before, looks great, do you have any piccies of how he fitted that size motor in? and is it 14ft or has he extended out to 16?.
    The plans are very nicely done, even after looking at them for a few years you don't realize how good they are untill you start marking out and cutting.
    I have also loved this design for a long time but have been put off by more experienced boaters telling me it would be a death trap.

Hi Mermod,
    Death trap? Nah, but being a flat bottom boat, it's not one you'd want to be in while a gale wind is kicking up. A prudent eye on the weather would be of sound benefit! I'm in the process of building the Phil Bolger Microtrawler, sort of a kissing cousing to the Can Du EZ, and she too, is a flattie!
    Take Care,
    Mike

Here's the one that first inspired me, and a test to see if I can post photos.

I love the mcro trawler, I looked at that design and Sam Devlins Dipper but I always came back to the Berkely tugs.......and the wife loves em so that sealed the deal.

Mermod,
    The picture looks great and I can see how one can fall in love with this design! With a boat like this, I can see myself puttering about the harbor on a nice day.....cruise about and then perhaps set the anchor in an out of the way creek or cove, eat some lunch and have a toast for the good times!! Berkeley Engineering has a nice website devoted to their boats http://www.berkeley-engineering.com/CanduE-Z.html . One can get lost there for hours going over the different homeowner builds. The cream pilothouse is a nice look with the dark hull.
    Take Care,
    Mike

Well here's the start, finally, I have been keeping an eye on marine ply prices for a while and found a local supplier that had an excellent deal going so was able to buy what I needed and make a start.

Such precision and neatness should be against the law, you make the rest of us look bad. I didnt own a router till later in my build. You saved yourself a lot of sawing and grinding and beltsanding that way. Great start! D.C.

(Sigh) If only I had the basic common sense to build a level support table for my own build!!!!

That's a great start, Mermod. The support table will help ensure the rest of your boat is true to the bottom of your hull, very nice.
    Take Care,
    Mike

Off to a great start. This boat is on my bucket list along with a Bolger Sneakeasy. Keep posting!

I am going to have to follow this thread , if only to make myself work neater .... great job good start and Perfect boat design . Please post often and with pictures we all love to see them even if it is mundane to you it may teach me ( or others ) something .

Thanks Lifer
    Just a guy hacking up wood .... making a boat

Is this too mundane Lifer? a bit more marking out today.

I,m thinking this might be my color scheme.

Some pics for Mermod and anyone interested in mini tugs. Also to practice my weak posting skills. D.C.

A little bit more today, 90x40mm stem bought thicknessed and laminated ready for clean up and install (big thanks to DCBrown for the idea of making the stem a bit more chunky)

Another shot of the stem and where it should locate.

I think you're doing great and it appears that you are an experienced boat builder. Only the scale has changed. 12"=1'
    And the shop looks properly cluttered. D.C.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Looks like such a fun project. Thanks for posting, keep it coming we love it.

Too hot to do much today but atleast I got the stem claned up, pencil round on the back edge and a support for the base.

LOL... nope not to mundane for me, I think it is going to be a marvellous conversation piece and great lil boat . thanks again ...

Lifer
    Just a guy hacking up wood .... making a boat

I'ts prettier than mine but the same size and I think it will compliment the short and fat look of the boat. Keep going. D.C.

A big pile of bits ready for assembly.

Another shot of the stem showing how the side panels will slot in nicely.

With your stem as shown, I imagine you will start each side by first inserting into the thickened epoxy stuffed slot, one side panel and then slowly wrapping the rest of the side panel around to the stern? Looks like you have to be really accurate too with getting the stem dead straight vertical...or else those side panels are going to give you some grief.

Can't wait to see the hull assembled!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.