Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15242526 LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian mini tug build

Default Re: Tasmanian mini tug build

Looking terrific Phill - and I’m sorry that I missed your post about your dad and was really sorry to read of it, I’ve no doubt that he’d be very proud of the amazing quality of work that you’ve done here and I can understand why he would have enjoyed seeing and hearing about the progress while he was in care. All the best mate.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Looking terrific Phill - and I’m sorry that I missed your post about your dad and was really sorry to read of it, I’ve no doubt that he’d be very proud of the amazing quality of work that you’ve done here and I can understand why he would have enjoyed seeing and hearing about the progress while he was in care. All the best mate.
    Thank's Larks, much appreciated, everyone that I've spoken to since has told me how he would tell them all about the progress on the tug.

Phill

Even more sanding today and a coat of primer on the cockpit area, boring I know but also very satisfying
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still waiting on materials so I thought I'd drop the hatches and sole in place, it's been some time since they were last in there and it's quite a relief to see they still fit nicely, gotta say I'm loving the contrast between the white and the timber.

wow! Just phenomenal. The white and the varnished timber is a fantastic look.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    wow! Just phenomenal. The white and the varnished timber is a fantastic look.
    Thank's Rogan, I can't wait till I can put some of the other bits back on to break the white up a bit

Phil

I love that contrast too!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Last couple of days have been spent running timber for the floor in the wheelhouse, bookmatched again of course

Phill

Could you remind me what timber you’re using for the decking Phill? It looks great.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Anyone that's followed this build from the beginning will have seen it move from my backyard to the spud shed where it currently sits, well it's been a long time coming but as of yesterday my new workshop has been started just think of what trouble I can get up to in a 12m x 20m shed with no troublesome neighbours close by

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by mermod View Post
    Anyone that's followed this build from the beginning will have seen it move from my backyard to the spud shed where it currently sits, well it's been a long time coming but as of yesterday my new workshop has been started just think of what trouble I can get up to in a 12m x 20m shed with no troublesome neighbours close by

Phill
    12m x 20m - that’s fantastic!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

12m x 20m - that’s fantastic!!!
    That's what I thought but the wife looked at the slab today and said "that's not going to be big enough, might have to add a couple more bays" .....................she's a keeper

Phil

Could you remind me what timber you’re using for the decking Phill? It looks great.
    Hi Lark's, it's Jarrah with Celery Top Pine strips, when I started it was easy to get full lengths of Jarrah decking but when I went back all I can get is the fingerjointed stuff, lucky I got the cap rail done when I did.

Phill

Still waiting on materials so I thought I'd drop the hatches and sole in place, it's been some time since they were last in there and it's quite a relief to see they still fit nicely, gotta say I'm loving the contrast between the white and the timber.
    Hey mermod,
    We have been following your build with great attention. . . we're amazed by the high level of quality workmanship we wish we could match on our own build.

Your timeline for the build is of no consequence as the results more than make up for it. We believe these builds are about us, all of us, and how we enjoy painstakingly working with our hands to turn pieces of wood into art.

You're a true artisan, a craftsman that inspires us all to do a better job in our builds. Thank you so much for your postings, we really enjoy them; keep 'em coming!

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

That's what I thought but the wife looked at the slab today and said "that's not going to be big enough, might have to add a couple more bays" .....................she's a keeper

Phil
    There’s some law like Murphy’s Law that dictates the size of the shed is never big enough for what ends up going in to it
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

This is still amazing to follow, thanks for keeping up with the posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Kapiteinterzee View Post
    Hey mermod,
    We have been following your build with great attention. . . we're amazed by the high level of quality workmanship we wish we could match on our own build.

Your timeline for the build is of no consequence as the results more than make up for it. We believe these builds are about us, all of us, and how we enjoy painstakingly working with our hands to turn pieces of wood into art.

You're a true artisan, a craftsman that inspires us all to do a better job in our builds. Thank you so much for your postings, we really enjoy them; keep 'em coming!

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    I've been called many things but certainly never an artisan, thanks

Phill

After spending the morning gluing up more of the flooring I decided to have a play with fitting the transducer for the Lowrance Ti7.
    I've been chewing over how to fit it neatly, I can't mount it on the transom and don't want it on the outside of the stern so early on I put in an epoxy patch or window if you like, I was going to mount the transducer to shoot through this window but after seeing the Ti7 transducer I very quickly figured that wouldn't work.
    I'm still going to use the patch but I bought the Lowrance flush mount bracket and will bolt this on through the epoxy window, by doing this no moisture can enter the ply through the bolt holes.
    Next problem was getting the cable through the hull, the idea of running the cable along the keel and into the boat through the engine well horrified me so I hunted around and found a skin fitting that I could fit the plug end through and turned the O/D down so that it would fit indetween the two pieces of the flush mount bracket meaning nothing will show when it's all fitted.
    Only problem was how to fill in the skin fitting once the wires are run through so I turned up a nylon bung which was then cut in half, once fitted I plan to sikaflex this in place.

This is an awesome build! I admire your perseverance in spite of many challenges.

Jeff C

Next up was to drill the mounting holes, seems a shame but had to be done after drilling through the epoxy patch I gave it a coat of black 2pack paint just to re-seal the area and make it look neat from underneath.

And as for the new boatshed, the concrete slab has been poured and looks awesome

Nice slab Phill, you won’t know yourself.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nice slab Phill, you won’t know yourself.
    From what I've seen of other peoples slabs I really was blown away with the job these guys did, very professional with no mucking around, even though they are flat out they still brought the pour date forward due to forecast rain on the day they planned for, main slab is nice and smooth and the smaller outdoor slab at the front has a nice bit of texture to it, all that and a perfectly formed 30mm rebate all round
    I'm very happy indeed

Phill

just goes to show - if you want a job done quickly and done well give it to a busy man (woman)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Ladies and Gentlemen, my new boatshed...........

Can't wait to get the tug in there

Can I say "boat shed envy " - now you have to clutter it up just a bit ( It's a really, really nice structure )

Rick

Great shed!
    I would rather have doubt than be certain and wrong.
    Richard Feynman.

Nice job - but you’re gonna need a roller door in the middle of that end wall for the 46’ yacht that you’ll build in there.........

Shed envy indeed!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nice job - but you’re gonna need a roller door in the middle of that end wall for the 46’ yacht that you’ll build in there.........

Shed envy indeed!!
    Well there is this 27ft St Pierre dory that's always been in the back of my mind

Phill

Or perhaps a fleet of Caledonia yawls? Then you could have family races :-)

Nice build btw

Regards Neil

ok im jealous! awesome shop!

Wow!

Still can't believe it's all mine although it's not looking quite so spacious anymore, we need to be out of our current home by Tuesday afternoon so all of our worldly possessions are now in that shed.
    I really think 25 years might have been too long to stay in the one place cause boy oh boy have I accumulated some junk, not throw away junk, just stuff that's a tad too good to throw away.
    On the bright side we have locked in a good builder for the house, only problem is it will probably take 12 months to get it done which means 12 months before I can start fitting out the workshop.

Phill

Ladies and Gentlemen, my new boatshed...........

Can't wait to get the tug in there
    To say I'm envious would be an understatement.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Oh my. Happy Christmas!
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.