Thread: New builder I am building a Speia, Kachemak 17' v-bottom Carolina dory

Default New builder I am building a Speia, Kachemak 17' v-bottom Carolina dory

I found a super deal on Western Red Cedar. Is Red Cedar a good wood for a boat it will be used for the bulkhead frames witch are 2x4"s .

Default Re: New builder I am building a Speia, Kachemak 17' v-bottom Carolina dory

Default Re: New builder I am building a Speia, Kachemak 17' v-bottom Carolina dory

Western Red Cedar is an amazing boat wood, beloved by many builders here. But more than just species, the quality of the individual board is truly important. Grain orientation and runout, the presence of knots, heartwood vs. sapwood, the number of growth rings per inch indicating age and rate of growth. THere's lots of WRC in the stores here where I live, but it's meant for outdoor applications and you'd be hard pressed to cobble together enough clear pieces to do much real boat building. Your plans should give you some indication what the designer had in mind. If you have questions, he should be one of the first people you ask- that's one of the really good things about building a boat by a living designer.

As a side note: I was under the impression that Spira had designed these boats, more or less, to be built using dimensional lumber typically available at big box stores. In that case, 2X construction grade lumber would typically be spruce, fir, or pine- all very young, with some sapwood present and not especially rot resistant. In any case, I would give Jeff a call and ask him directly.
    "A man builds the best of himself into a boat- builds many of the memories of his ancestors." -Steinbeck

WRC is widely used for planking, but rarely if ever for framing as it is very soft. Can we presume you meant 'Spira' Kachemak? As in this design from Spira International? I've looked at these budget conscious workboat designs a lot, especially these vee bottom Carolinas. The sort of boat you could knock together quite cheaply from standard housing grade lumber and plywood. The cedar will be very rot resistant, but likely not even as strong as good construction grade studs.