Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56
Results 176 to 189 of 189

Thread: old boatshop in Steveston

  1. #176
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Paisley UK
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Hi Ron. Amazing thread! The painting is awesome. I take it they are trolling Longline for Salmon commercially? The rigs are something else.
    I troll the Lochs Of Scotland for Atlantic Salmon ( Salmo Salar) as an angler. We fish four rods with Rapala and Toby baits. Fly fish the same Lochs for Browns and Sea Trout ( Salmo Trutta) As you probably know, there has never been any commercial trolling for Atlantic Salmon in Scotland............they wont take in salt water generally.

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sidney,B.C.
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
    That explains why I thought I saw at least the Arne A as I passed by there. The hull colouring stands out.
    The Arne A has only been there for 3 weeks.. they are both tied at Money’s marina right at the head of Lyall Harbour
    ron

  3. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    I'm glad to see this thread pop up again. How's it going with Rendal?
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sidney,B.C.
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I'm glad to see this thread pop up again. How's it going with Rendal?
    I am more than likely going to part her out shortly.
    ron

  5. #180
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sidney,B.C.
    Posts
    186

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Gulf Islands, Canada
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    The Arne A has only been there for 3 weeks.. they are both tied at Money’s marina right at the head of Lyall Harbour
    ron
    Then I do not know if I saw that boat or one like it.

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sidney,B.C.
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
    Then I do not know if I saw that boat or one like it.
    The Rendal was tied up at the government dock where the ferry comes in till May of this year
    ron

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Gulf Islands, Canada
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    The Rendal was tied up at the government dock where the ferry comes in till May of this year
    ron
    No, then not this year then. I was in Prince Rupert August 2015 on the way to Haida Gwaii. was it near the ferry terminal then. Otherwise it could be the Rendal. It is the hull coloring that stands out as familiar. Then Maybe altogether somewhere else. It is a memorable boat.
    On another note, you said you are parting out Rendal, is the Arne A your new boat. sorry I may have missed this detail.

  9. #184
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    This thread is long overdue for a bump...

    Ron, I'm on a hunt to find Bill Garden's old boat Merlin and the trail has led to Lloyd Rooke. You mentioned him a few posts back on this thread. Would you be able to put me in touch with him? I'm interested in writing an article on the history of Merlin so I'm trying to find any information I can. And at some point when such things are possible again I'd love to see her in person. Thanks!
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sidney,B.C.
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    I will see if I can locate Lloyd. Lloyd has moved but not far. But i will see what i can do about Merlin. there are a few people that are knowledgeable about that history

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sidney,B.C.
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
    No, then not this year then. I was in Prince Rupert August 2015 on the way to Haida Gwaii. was it near the ferry terminal then. Otherwise it could be the Rendal. It is the hull coloring that stands out as familiar. Then Maybe altogether somewhere else. It is a memorable boat.
    On another note, you said you are parting out Rendal, is the Arne A your new boat. sorry I may have missed this detail.
    it may be the Arne A that you saw in Prince Rupert as that was it's home port for over 70 years. photo by Bernard Remmen off Tian Rocks, W/coast Queen Charlottes
    Last edited by ron david; 12-22-2020 at 02:44 AM.

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    La Conner, WA
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    This thread is long overdue for a bump...

    Ron, I'm on a hunt to find Bill Garden's old boat Merlin and the trail has led to Lloyd Rooke. You mentioned him a few posts back on this thread. Would you be able to put me in touch with him? I'm interested in writing an article on the history of Merlin so I'm trying to find any information I can. And at some point when such things are possible again I'd love to see her in person. Thanks!
    I think the “Merlin” was the name Bill Garden gave it after he rebuilt the old launch “Toketie” made famous in the lovely book “Upcoast Summers”?

    Had some pleasant rides from Van Isle to Toad’s Landing on Merlin, really miss Bill.

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sidney,B.C.
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    This thread is long overdue for a bump...

    Ron, I'm on a hunt to find Bill Garden's old boat Merlin and the trail has led to Lloyd Rooke. You mentioned him a few posts back on this thread. Would you be able to put me in touch with him? I'm interested in writing an article on the history of Merlin so I'm trying to find any information I can. And at some point when such things are possible again I'd love to see her in person. Thanks!
    did send you a pm with a contact who knows the info on her and here is what i was told

    very cool old boat
    he didn't build it, but used it to get to Toad's Landing
    a couple of old guys have her up in North Saanich

    https://www.nauticapedia.ca/dbase/Qu...5.php?id=15763

    ron

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

    Thanks Paul and Ron. Since my post above I have spoken with both Jan Nielsen who owns Mary Anne, a different Bill Garden launch, and Lloyd Rooke, who owns Merlin, ex-Toketie. Sadly the border closing prevents me from going to see her, as I would very much like to do. Hopefully things will be better next summer.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •