Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: old boatshop in Steveston

Default Re: old boatshop in Steveston

this was some declaration that he had to sign for the boatshop for something or other with the Province of British Columbia

ron

found this old note in some of my dad's papers . it is pretty hard to read so I copied it out. it is about my dad;s sister Frances and was written by another of his sisters Anne

Miss Frances Elizabeth Alice David
    Ran away on the 24th of June/15
    Disgraced herself by marrying
    William Lumley on the 20th
    July /1915
    At the Nanaimo. Now is living
    Some old shacks at Steveston
    To day is July 26th /15
    Mayne Island, B.C.
    Annie Ellen David

ron

an aerial shot of the boatshop property at Garry Point 1952 and now owned by Canadian fish. Has been dredged out more and floats and shed put in. the sawmill is gone and quite a few changes. the old house sitting on the dike is the one where I was born
    photo: Richmond Archives

ron

So, if your father renounced his citizenship 10 years before your granny got around to registering his birth, does that make him a citizen again? The photos are wonderful, but this old bureaucracy is just wild.

In your time up in Mackenzie, did you ever meet a heavy duty mechanic by the name of Donald Keyes?

It does say "declaration of intention" and "invalid for all purposes after seven years after the date hereof". I don't think that he stayed there very long.
    don't remember the name, but that doesn't mean that I didn't meet him or know him. Mackenzie wasn't that big.
    Glad to see that you are reading the fine print
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    So, if your father renounced his citizenship 10 years before your granny got around to registering his birth, does that make him a citizen again? The photos are wonderful, but this old bureaucracy is just wild.

In your time up in Mackenzie, did you ever meet a heavy duty mechanic by the name of Donald Keyes?
    Putting some thought into that US Dept of Labour form. that may have been a requirement so that you could sign on with another ship. They signed on with a ship and when they did that they signed on for a certain amount of time. you could be anywhere in the world when it ran out. you would have to sign a new contract to get back on a ship. What I am supposing that that may have come under US labour laws(something like a green card in order to apply for work???) in order to sign out again. He also spent time in Galveston.Believe that he had found a girl friend down there and may have even gotten married there. There was a referrance that there was another woman in his life. I was never privy to that info. I have a call into US Immigration in about an hour to see if they can shed any light on it. they more than likely won't want to talk about a hundred year old form. If you do not ask and sometimes when you do they surprise you
    ron

No way I would have mentioned that form to the US authorities. They might decide you are an American, and charge you with years of income taxes!

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    No way I would have mentioned that form to the US authorities. They might decide you are an American, and charge you with years of income taxes!
    they would just have to stand in line. it would be quite interesting as to who would have claims. when I think of how all my family came here it is quite interesting
    My Great Grandfather. born in England and moved to Canada; was going to go west and went down thru the States. he joined the US army. he deserted and took one of their mules(that was the bad one) and ended up out side Chilliwack, BC 1857. My g/grandmother was already here. My grandfather. French and fought in the Franco_Prussian war,navy. Later they were in Halifax when 3 of them jumped ship. He started a family in Montreal. Discovered the French authorities were hot on his backside(believe that jumping ship then was a hanging offence) and fled to Vancouver and settled on the foot of Main st in 1884 and then felt it was to crowded and went to Mayne Island where he met my Grandmother.
    on my mother's side it is cleaner. my grandfather who was Welsh and worked his way up to the rank of Captain in the Imperial army in India (18 years). Came to BC where he spent time in the Kootenays and then hauled freight from Ashcroft to Ft. St.James by oxen in 1898,9. when the Boer war broke out and they made him a major and he trained soldiers on the ships from Vancouver to S.Africa. After that he joined the constabulary in S.A.. from there he came back to BC> and eventually settled in Vanderhoof. 1913 he went down to San Francisco to bring my grandmother up to Vanderhoof(she was a mail order bride). she was Swiss and had gone to New Orleans as a governess and the onto San Francisco where she taught English. it is hard to imagine all that movement with the transportation that was available to them
    My daughter was a dual citizen at birth as her mother was from Oregon
    even my chesapeake bay retrievers are American. my newest one is from Sebastopol, Ca and her breeding took place in Idaho, the previous one came out of Wellsville, Mo. and his breeding took place in R.I. the GST was paid on the dogs so they are good to stay and I was born here
    ron

Did get thru to US immigration here in Victoria and asked. reply was typical; we do not deal with crap a 100 years old and then told me to call the US consulate. sounds like the bureaucratic shuffle and ask for immigration; but I am already speaking to immigration. it was beyond his realm. so I did the thing that I should have done first; Google; US Dept. of Labor form # 2203. guess what popped up. short version; Petition for Naturalization (Petition for Citizenship)

When the Declaration of Intention was at least two years old and not more than seven years old, and the applicant had lived in the United States, its territory, or the District of Columbia for five years continuously, with the previous six months in a particular state, then the alien could file a Petition for Naturalization.​
    longer version
    http://sos.oregon.gov/archives/Pages...alization.aspx
    ron

Hello Ron, a very interesting thread, your father and his team certainly built some handsome vessels. The old "Rotomahana" maori for "warm lake" was better known around the Pacific as "Rotten banana" only lasted another two years before being laid up in Melbourne and finally scuttled in Bass Strait in 1928.
    "Australmead had a fairly long life, going on through several owners and names finally being sunk by a mine in the Baltic Sea in 1952, probably one drifting from WW2. She was only 2 years old when your father joined her and had been built for the Aus. Govt.
    Her name at the time of sinking was "Aina Maria Nurminen"

thank you for the info. I have been posting on this F/B group for the last couple of weeks . https://www.facebook.com/groups/1565...34755/?fref=nf BC Nautical History Group and there has been a lot of interaction as quite a few know some of the boats and some of the history, some who have fished with my brother. pretty interesting.
    ron

here is a link to a whole whack of new photos of Garry Point Park as it is today. this is the site of the old boatshop and sawmill; https://www.flickr.com/photos/clayto...57627119239506
    here is one of the pics
    the sculpture is of a twine needle used in the repairing of fishing nets as Steveston was, and still is a fishing community. it is in recognition of the fisferman

ron
    Last edited by ron david; 12-10-2016 at 01:05 PM.

I had shown some earlier pics of the tug "East Delta" that was built in the shop. have finally found a good one of it and a video

Richmond Archives
    also in that pic is the Northern Breeze which my brother Mike fished in the late 70s

https://vimeo.com/188385951

ron

Such a great thread! Thanks for posting.

here is one from the property but of an earlier time. this be aboout 5 years after the original boatshop was started

Another look back to the days of sail and oar, Columbia River type skiffs moored and under sail at Garry Point, ca. 1910. The structure in the background is Gamble's Observatory, used for monitoring tide levels and as a navigation marker. (City of Richmond Archives photo 1977 19 31)
    ron