Thread: My Winter Build - Arch Davis' "Maine Peapod"

Default My Winter Build - Arch Davis' "Maine Peapod"

I fell in love with this little boat last spring when I got WoodenBoat #222 from my library and finally decided to build it!

I ordered the palns about two months ago and have gotten to this point:

Stems are cherry as are the stringers. The rest of the trim ie seats, framing and such will also be cherry. The hull planks will be 4mm okume that you can see leaning against the wall. I decide to go with the cherry, well, because I have a huge amount of rough sawn available in my piles and I love the warm brown color it takes on after a few years. I dont't know if I will keep up with a steady stream of pics but enjoy!

Todd

Default Re: My Winter Build - Arch Davis' "Maine Peapod"

I have long thought that Arch Davis has a very good eye for a boat,the Penobscot 14 and 17 were all that I had seen of his output until I read the build series devoted to the Pod.The series confirmed my belief and I hope you enjoy building and using your boat.Please keep us up to date with progress.

Todd,

please post a lot of pictures. I have plans for the peapod as well, but have not started my build as of yet. Maybe in 2013.

Good luck.

A little inspiration for you. My friend Bill and his friend Bill in the background, afternoon row last week.

Thanks for the pic! I really like the green. Is that scuppers I see?

Scuppers?

on the gunwales.....to let water run out when flipped over for storage, etc.

Hard to believe it's been 5 years. Yikes! I'm now at the point I will be sealing the outside with epoxy as arch Davis calls out for in the plan booklet. He calls for "at least two coats". Am I missing something? I would think one would suffice before painting or is he going for a complete water tight envelope from the epoxy?

Todd

2 coats of epoxy will provide an effective moisture barrier and smoother coat for finishing. Chances are if you only did one coat then there might be a spot or two missed.

Each question answered requires a picture of your build in return

Before you know it she'll be all ready for paint. Here is our Penobscot 14 after the first coat of West 105/205 Fast Hardener.

And out for a day sail last Saturday.

Have fun with you boat!

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey

I agree with pics. I'm still trying to recover from the whole pb fiasco. Lol

There's a debate on whether to seal with epoxy or not. I've built five glued lap boats and didn't seal any of them with epoxy, just a good oil based paint or varnish. They are all sailed off a trailer and in the garage when not in use. If left on a dock or stored unprotected outside, an epoxy sealer wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by White River View Post
    Hard to believe it's been 5 years.
    Well, my "one-year build" took me seven years... Worth it, though:

email photo.jpg

I did coat the exterior (strip-planked) with 2-3 coats of epoxy before painting. Epoxy is a great primer if nothing else. I suspect a trailer boat would be fine with just paint as well. Good luck!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Hard to believe it's been 5 years. Yikes! I'm now at the point I will be sealing the outside with epoxy as arch Davis calls out for in the plan booklet. He calls for "at least two coats". Am I missing something? I would think one would suffice before painting or is he going for a complete water tight envelope from the epoxy?

Todd
    If you're going to use it as a coating, do it all the way. If a surface has permeable holes that water can enter it will be trapped never to dry out.

You're going to sand it back before painting, yeah? So, by applying two coats, you net one good level coat to serve as primer.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I agree with pics. I'm still trying to recover from the whole pb fiasco. Lol
    With Scot recently enabling picture hosting you can load pics to the forum right from your computer without needing to host them online first. Just sayin’...

IMG_3597.jpgIMG_3600.jpgIMG_3599.jpgFilled sanded and ready for epoxy except someone used all his brushes! Guess I know where I'm stopping tomorrow. Onto planing the rest of the cherry next week for seats and such
    todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any updates, like this peapod a lot

IMG_3968.jpgIMG_3967.jpgIMG_3953.jpgSo this Happened! Two day camping trip turned into 6 hours of clean up in my basement. Hot water line compression fitting separated at the kitchen sink and ran for those two days. The sink base cabinet contained the water but it ran out and under almost all(700sf) of our maple floors and most(600sf) of our porcelain tile floor. Water rained into my basement and filled my peapod about a foot deep. Most of the boat was saturated. I had clamps sitting on the seats that left black marks but other than that the boat dried out fine as far as I can tell. The Centerboard was wet one side and warped slightly. I may need to surface it again. I had 2/3 of the seats cut and fit when this happened. Since then we have been on demo, clean-up and put back together mode in lieu of any boat building. Such is life. On a side note, the dehumidifiers, fans, heat and then ac running in the last week and a half of may cost about $400 lol.

not sure why I cant get the pictures to be turned right. gotta keep working on it

Tough break, hope all gets sorted soon. The Peapod looks good though, thanks for posting

Oh s***t! Hope you get it under control. Insurance??

Yes lots of insurance. Fortunately for me i'm a licensed builder and mechanical contractor. Unfortunateley for me it means i'm fixing everything so it meets my standards. Getting paid by insurance though. Late April I tore off 90lf of my deck handrail to replace. So mixed in all of this I had to get that completed since we are having my daughters open house this friday in our backyard. Yikes! Life throws some curve balls sometimes. Flooring is going back in next week finally. My countertop guys finally got here today so now we have kitchen sink and cooktop again. Been washing dishes in our travel trailer in the driveway and grilling out a lot. We've been through remodels before in other homes so its not so bad.

What a disaster! Glad you're getting it sorted out.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.