Page 1 of 17 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding "Haabet"

Default Rebuilding "Haabet"

The summer of 2011, me and my wife bought an old motor sailer (have no idea what the English term for the boat type Skøyte is). The boat was built i Risør, Norway in 1917 as a coastal freighter. It served as freighter and fishing boat until 1976, when the current owner retired, and wanted to keep using her as a holiday vessel. He had her rebuilt between 1976-78 and not much had been done since then.

She is constructed with an oak hull on fir ribs. Deck is fir and wheelhouse is mahogany. Originally she had one mast and a 12hp engine.

Default Re: Rebuilding "Haabet"

A double bilge pump failure last winter killed the engine. We were planning on changing it anyway, as it was too small for the boat (20hp SAAB with a tiny screw), but not this soon.

After a year of waiting, we finally got her high and dry. We were really anxious to get a closer look at the hull below the waterline. Luckily it turned out to be pretty good. The caulking was mostly gone, causing the rather bad leaking, but only two planks needed to be changed due to shipworms.

The deck was in a really bad condition, and had been for decades. This in turn had caused serious damage to the hull above the waterline.

4000kg of ballast removed and washed.

Removed lots of stinking black goo from the keel with sawdust.

Some of the old construction details revealing themselves. This is where the original mast was sitting.

Hopefully we are sailing again before spring kicks in.

More to come. :-)

Fantastic boat and great project. I hope all goes well.

A bonny boat. We English would call her an MFV. Dunno about the rest of the English speaking world.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Very nice boat. Thanks for sharing. Keep the fotos coming, please.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

She's pretty, and I really like the interior. Good luck with her.

With that much worm damage in the bad ones, you are really lucky that only two planks were affected.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

That's great. Thanks for all the pics. Keep 'em coming. Oh, and welcome!

Are you saying you put those rocks back in as ballast?

We have not yet put the ballast back in, but we are planning on reusing the rocks. In fact they are not just rocks, but iron ore, and heavy as h***. We also have 10 iron bars of 100 kg each. If we come across something handier for ballast, we can easily change it later.

The interior was quite nice, but sadly in a very poor state. It was full of rot and had to go.

This is how she looks at the moment. Like a huge bathtub.

The hull i mostly finished now. The Christmas holiday will be spent with brushes and oil. We are installing a new 100hp Iveco engine that is going in as soon as the major woodwork is done.

And oh, i forgot to mention size in my first post.
    Her vitals are: 12m long, 4m wide 1,6m draft, masts 9 and 11m, weight is 17 metric tons.

The observant reader will notice that we are replacing oak for fir in the hull. This is due to both price and the fact that good quality fir is at least as good as oak.

What a beautiful boat !! Well done and yes , you were very lucky with those worms .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

She's a beauty. Interesting that the planking is oak and the framing is fir. Most boats you see have the softer wood for the planking.

Pray, what does " Haabet" mean?

Thanks for posting.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

That boat has serious bones for a vessel that size. Very cool thread, lovely boat. Keep it coming!!!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

whoa, that was a jump to see the decks off and the interior gone !
    massive sawn frames,awesome vessel, what a woman!
    thanks for posting
    bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Haabet View Post

The hull i mostly finished now. The Christmas holiday will be spent with brushes and oil. We are installing a new 100hp Iveco engine that is going in as soon as the major woodwork is done.

And oh, i forgot to mention size in my first post.
    Her vitals are: 12m long, 4m wide 1,6m draft, masts 9 and 11m, weight is 17 metric tons.

The observant reader will notice that we are replacing oak for fir in the hull. This is due to both price and the fact that good quality fir is at least as good as oak.

Goodness those are some hefty frames. Good for cargo hauling duty I suppose.

100hp? Seems way overkill.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Are you based in Norway or Sweden? The boats name is familiar. Interesting to see worm damage, where did she spend most of her life? Cheers

Certainly a boat built to last.

The meaning of the name Haabet is hope.

I live in Bergen, Norway.

As it turned out, the two planks infected with shipworms were actually fairly new. They were probably put in just a few years ago, and not properly treated. The worms probably found the 90+ years old, oil soaked oak a bit hard to digest.

The 100hp engine is at least not too small. I decided it was better to have a little more power than i need, than having too little. It´s better to have a powerful engine running on low revolutions, than a weak one pushed to the max.

I know very little about the early history of this vessel. I have the original registration papers from 1917, where she was registered for cargo freight in both Norway and Sweden. The original name was "Garm" (Garm is the wolf, with blood dripping fur,guarding the entrance to the underworld in norse mythology), and owners were the Andersen brothers from Fredrikstad, Norway.
    I have no record of the next decades, before she shows up as "Haabet af Hardanger" in the early -70s. Registered to a man in Bergen, Norway. When he died, his nephew inherited the boat, and had it until 1996. As it turned out, he lives not far from me and I have spoken to him. He was very happy to hear we were rebuilding Haabet, as the whole family had fond memories of her. At that time she had a 136hp Thornycroft engine. According to him, the new owners were not very experienced sailors, and ran her aground on the trip home. The guy I bought her from had only owned her for a little over a year. He started doing some work, but then inherited a farm and realized he would never manage to finnish the job.

If anyone should recognise her, I would love to know more. After all, she has sailed the seas since my great grandparents were young and WW1 was raging.

Maybe caretaker is a better term than owner?

Beautiful boat! Thanks for sharing your project with us, and please continue to show us your progress...

Tom

I'm on my first build of a little stitch and glue dinghy. It's amazing to watch your ambitious project unfold.

"Hopefully we are sailing again before spring kicks in..."
    That's a massively great sentence.

nice work and beautiful workshop! Thank you for posting
    "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared" - Homer

Haabet , have you seen this http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/ob...nkode=38371818 ?.
    What engine did Haabet have in her originally ?.
    A great job , she should be a very impressive boat !.
    Regards Rob J.

Thanks for sharing, great work !
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Haabet , have you seen this http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/ob...nkode=38371818 ?.
    What engine did Haabet have in her originally ?.
    A great job , she should be a very impressive boat !.
    Regards Rob J.
    No way that is going for 190,000 kr. Bet they have dropped a zero in the price.

100hp sounds about right for your boat. Up in the northern latitudes engines and anchors should both be big, strong and reliable... Good luck with her! Did you remove the interior intact so as to put it all back or are you going to re-build the interior?
    "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared" - Homer

I'm in love with your boat . . . . can't wait to see the work progress. Thank you for posting.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Marlin View Post
    Did you remove the interior intact so as to put it all back or are you going to re-build the interior?
    There was nothing worth keeping. Underneath the nice paint, it was all rotten. We are building everything new, and plan to make some changes. There were a lot of closed spaces with little or no ventilation in the previous design.

Quote Originally Posted by Haabet View Post
    There was nothing worth keeping. Underneath the nice paint, it was all rotten. We are building everything new, and plan to make some changes. There were a lot of closed spaces with little or no ventilation in the previous design.
    Varying the design for ventilation etc is of course smart, but it'd be neat if you could keep the same construction and general look/aesthetic etc; it just works so well with the sort of vessel it is. But that's only my view, and it's your fab boat. Allabest!

We are planning on rebuilding it pretty much as it was. The only big thing we want to change is the bunk arrangement you see on this picture. We ha a double bed on each side, and no backrest when we were sitting there. We want to build the bunks in two levels instead. This gives us more bunkspace, as the hull widens, and a backrest.

The raised roof on the deck (anyone have a nice word for that?) was mad of aluminum and clad with wood. This was done in 1976. The original structure was made of wood. When lifting it of, we discovered that the aluminum had become brittle, and decided not to put it back on. The other reason for replacing it, was the fact that it flexed and caused leaks in the deck. We are replacing it with wood instead. This means we also need a new mast. The old one was sitting on top of the aluminum. We now need it to rest on the keel, as in the original design.

The only things we saved, were the doors and the portholes.

I like the white painted interior, but we are probably not painting the new wood. Better to allow moisture to escape.

The boat has one 550 liter and one 200 liter diesel tank. We are planning to reuse only the 550 liter one. The tank was equipped with a huge old gage. It needed a bit of tlc.

Almost a pity to hide it in the engine room now.

Great job on saving that beautiful gauge! One thing that I hate to see is a well restored boat (or car/truck for that matter) with modern instruments fitted. To me, that just says "I'm lazy, and I just don't care about the history of this boat." Thanks for taking the time to do it right -- it will mean something to you every time you look at it.....

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by lagspiller View Post
    No way that is going for 190,000 kr. Bet they have dropped a zero in the price.
    Really? The wooden boat market in Scandinavia is really depressed right now and i would say that was a "market" price. Seems to be less and less people every year willing to take on wooden boats,unless in mint condition.Good time for buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Really? The wooden boat market in Scandinavia is really depressed right now and i would say that was a "market" price. Seems to be less and less people every year willing to take on wooden boats,unless in mint condition.Good time for buyers.
    The price is probably correct. The same boat was for sale this spring for 400000 kr. If the condition is as good as they say it is, it seems like a bargain. Anyway, one is enough for me.

I am astounded.

I see that you have marked the face of the gauge with some readings.
    That gauge will probably be able to be calibrated.
    How many litres is the "full" mark you have put on it?
    There will be a linkage from the bourdon tube to the rest of the mechanism that adjusts the span by changing the length of, and the zero is adjusted by moving the pointer on the shaft.
    In my toolbox somewhere I have the smallest set of pullers you will probably have ever seen that can pull the pointer off the shaft.
    You need a steady hand and to be able to see what you are doing.