Thread: Ways to use wine corks?

Default Ways to use wine corks?

I've been saving them for years, and have used them as edge and point guards, spacers and shims, refrigerator magnets, handles for rope pulls (champagne cork on my kick-up rudder foil), and for wine racks in the basement:

Cut in half and fixed with power screws: crude but it works.

Do you have a clever way to use wine corks? (I've seen holiday wreaths, trivets, etc. but if you have a sterling example please post it.) They seem so useful, potentially, that I hate to throw them out.

Default Re: Ways to use wine corks?

The natural cork in a wine bottle seems to be on the way out.More and more seem to have either synthetic cork or-horrors!-screw tops.Neither of which seem to have any negative effect on the contents of the bottle.I must admit to wondering whether ground cork might be good substitute for microballons,but don't know quite how to turn corks into powder.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I must admit to wondering whether ground cork might be good substitute for microballons,but don't know quite how to turn corks into powder.
    Hmmmm. Chop into coarse chunks. Load in Cuisinart and pulse, until pulverized (when non-boating partner is away).

Did you get caught doing that?More pertinently,did it work?Enquiring minds would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Did you get caught doing that?More pertinently, did it work?Enquiring minds would like to know.
    Sort of. There's a problem with the static charge. Take the bowl outside before you open it.

A friend of my wife's has a wine cellar and the entire ceiling is wine corks, painstakingly glued in place.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    A friend of my wife's has a wine cellar and the entire ceiling is wine corks, painstakingly glued in place.
    Wow! Easy to keep clean.

I'll bet they would make an interesting floor, all standing on end and bedded with cork powder.
    And quiet too.

My FIL cuts them in half and mounts them in a ply-backed frame for pinboards. One or two corks are removeable (held in by friction) to conceal screws for fixing to the wall. Looks great.

I'll watch this thread with great interest. I have about 5 gallons of champagne corks, and my wife thinks I'm nuts. I've used them for fishing tackle, net floats, small tool handles, door stops, and a variety of other uses. They carve easily with Foredom tools and sanders, so they can be shaped to suit.

About a hundred years ago when I was building my first Harley from army surplus parts, my next door neighbour (about eight miles down the road) had several old British bikes he'd restored on the cheap, and at least two of them had clutch plates made from corks he'd sliced up. And when we were little kids we used to cut slices off a wine cork and use mums sewing pins to make little cages with them. Shove in a beetle or some other unfortunate critter before installing the last pin and you had 'em in a little round jail cell. Prolly some law against such activities now Sorry but you did ask JayInOz

Donn someone I used to know had a use for the fine black soot from burnt cork- and for the life of me I can't remember what it was! JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Donn someone I used to know had a use for the fine black soot from burnt cork- and for the life of me I can't remember what it was! JayInOz
    Burnt cork is a common material used as a "carbon black" dye. One great use for natural cork that I'be seen is to put them into a frame for use as a trivet.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

Back in the day I used corks when waxing my skis. Melted the wax on and then burnished the bottoms with corks. Always had a few that had been used for different waxes in my jacket pocket, for when the condition of the snow changed.
    Norm Harris

The first thing I can recall doing with a cork is magnetizing a big needle, sticking it through a cork and floating the thing in a glass. Aha! My first compass. A couple of corks and needles on board may save your life someday. (Hey, it could happen. Lightning strikes. All electronics gone. No engine. Compass is toast. And you can take apart that dead engine to magnetize the needle.)

I use them to let the air into wine bottles.

How about a cork boat built by a presidental speech writer ?

JD

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/river-dre...ory?id=4103111
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Originally Posted by JayInOz

That and flour was our kit of Halloween makeup as kids.

Kevin

ETA: Expanding upon the pinboard idea, how about making some non-skid step pads for gunwales, ladders etc; perhaps a welcome mat for the dock or cockpit with the boat's name and hail in contrasting corks.
    K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Of course, if you've got 10,000 corks kicking around the shop around you could make a nifty little model of the colosseum:

"61-year-old Ciro Califano, from Italy’s Nocera Inferiore, is one of the world’s most incredible artists, with the power to turn corks into beautiful works of art."

Here's the link.

Jack

Video on the cork boat. Are people who do this sort of thing inspired or just looney? I can never decide.

Who else used burnt cork to make stripes under your eyes when playing football. (Man, am I dating myself!)
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Who else used burnt cork to make stripes under your eyes when playing football. (Man, am I dating myself!)
    Yup.... And that cork boat thing just reminded me of how nice it must be to be independently wealthy.....

A few more inklings.

A mesh bag filled with wine corks would make a decent fender, although perhaps untidy-looking. You could empty out the corks at the end of the season and wash the bag.

Cork corks (i.e. not plastic) would no doubt burn in a wee heating stove, mixed with wood, coal or charcoal.

You could build some sort of blowgun to shoot corks, and have mock battles.

Woxbox, thanks for digging up that video. I read the book and found it great fun and and good example of determination. Bravo !! I say, a guy fulfilling a dream.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

You could build some sort of blowgun to shoot corks, and have mock battles.
    Back down memory lane. My first "rifle" shot corks. I seem to recall that they came with the cork tied to a string, the main idea being to create a nice "pop" when the gun - a simple air gun - is fired. But what kid didn't cut that string and proceed to terrorize his sisters?

Something like this:

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I remember using a blackened winecork with a drawing pin in the bottom through some wide pieces of rubber band to make a fearsome looking spider to scare my sister with.

Winemakers reckon that the amount of spoiled wine has decreased enormously since screw tops have become common on wine bottles.

Yea, even here in the Wine Country (Napa and Sonoma), the natural cork is going out of style. There's and expense factor and the screw tops are even better at keeping the air out than natural or plastic corks. Used to be fine wine wouldn't have anything but a natural cork, but times are starting to change. The next development will be to phase out glass entirely. Some are starting to experiment with boxes with bladders in them, similar to the cheapo bulk wines in boxes. Fact is, as the bladder empties, the bag collapses, keeping air out. Wine in an opened bladder keeps longer they say, although I've never had an open bottle of wine around long enough to test that assertion!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Winemakers reckon that the amount of spoiled wine has decreased enormously since screw tops have become common on wine bottles.
    It's still possible to get 'corked' wine though, even with the screw-tops. If, when you go to take off the top, the whole sealing system turns in your hand instead of the cap just breaking off, then you can expect the wine to be spoilt. I've had this occur about three times in I-don't know-how-many bottles of wines (hundreds?), but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Some are starting to experiment with boxes with bladders in them, similar to the cheapo bulk wines in boxes. Fact is, as the bladder empties, the bag collapses, keeping air out. Wine in an opened bladder keeps longer they say, although I've never had an open bottle of wine around long enough to test that assertion!
    The point about an opened bladder is that it isn't open. This is the silver bullet. This (Aussie ) technology has been around for about a quarter of a century, and although it still tends to be used more for the cheaper wines, some good wines have been packaged this way for quite some time.

The fake plastic 'cork' that started being produced about a decade or so ago hasn't really caught on here, and the bottlers have mostly gone straight from (real) corks to metal closures.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    A few interesting items, but most are cutesy decorative bits. In response to Donn's post, here's the champagne cork pull on my rudder kick-up line.

At the landfill, there was a heap of old shelf brackets and I loaded up. With wine corks and power screws, they make good brackets for lumber, etc.

They also make nice guards for sharp corners and edges:

I used a couple on my ice axe when hiking in to climbs.

The wine bottles are only used to hold the corks at the ready ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    The wine bottles are only used to hold the corks at the ready ?
    Apparently so, for some sparkling wines the CMV(cork muzzle velocity) is as high as 14m/s.

A large cork is also the traditional item to use for the hole in the top of the CB case, allowing a rod or thin boathook handle to be inserted to pull the CB up or down if jammed by gravel or weeds / seagrass. I use a small jar-top cork for this purpose in my dory skiff, works great!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

My son made a flotilla of carved cork boats with tooth pick masts and coin ballast and set them free on the lake. (He was 10 at the time). It was fun to find where they ended up.

A boatbuilder's lumber rack made from a cork bearing a noted designer's name: serendipitous!

Kevin

At the landfill, there was a heap of old shelf brackets and I loaded up. With wine corks and power screws, they make good brackets for lumber, etc.

Can't believe we haven't had an Oz with a hat with corks dangling round the rim as a fly deterrent...

Also 5mm discs glued to the backs of picture frames to keep a space between the picture and a damp wall

flies or general fishing hook keepers,

buoancy aids for boat keys... maybe we've had that one

anti vibe isolaters for an old rega planar record deck ..... works better than a hyper expensive urethane system I bought in a fit of madness.
    Last edited by jonboy; 11-30-2012 at 12:57 PM.

If it's decent cork it probably should be re-cycled into something. From a fishing rod building catalog: 1/2" thick 1 1/4 O.D., best grade $2.50 a pop, thats around $50 + for an average rod grip, no wonder the less expensive wines are using artificial corks.

Quite a few upmarket winemakers now bottle using screwcaps, especially New Zealand and Australian whites. If the trend continues, wine racks and bins might someday be anachronisms.

In any event, here are refrigerator magnets made from wine corks, with a hole drilled and a magnet epoxied in. The epoxy should cover the magnet, so it won't scratch the finish.

Go to corkmortar.com looks like lots of fun! One of those would make a great signal cannon on your boat too.

I remember my son had a kind of crossbow, that could dispose quite a few corks in no time. That was only a few years ago, but now he tends to empty the wine bottles himself - time fly by, but does progress...?

I was wondering if the denser, tougher corks could be drilled and used as parrel beads.

Twist drills tend to tear cork and make ragged holes, but a sharp Forstner bit might cut a clean hole. Not sure I want to spend ten bucks on one just to find out.

I use brad point bits at about 700RPM and a slow feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    I use brad point bits at about 700RPM and a slow feed.
    What do you do with the drilled corks?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    What do you do with the drilled corks?
    Handles for things. String several onto a dowel, glue them together and shape them with sanders.

Net floats for minnow traps and cages.

Door and drawer pulls, with a long screw inside.

Fridge and tool magnets with rod-shaped rare earth magnets inside.