Thread: what a proper signal cannon looks like

Default what a proper signal cannon looks like

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: what a proper signal cannon looks like

I bet the three-stacker has a better one
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quick firing three incher?
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

may not be even 3"... compare it to the lifelines
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Down the bay at Williamstown in Victoria they use one of these to start races.

What you need is a thunder mug.

You can buy a modern one for about $80. http://www.pyrocreations.com/inc/sdetail/499/28974 or http://www.blackpowder-cannons.com/

24 pounder ML coastal defence gun circa 1860s. I did conservation works on a few around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Down the bay at Williamstown in Victoria they use one of these to start races.

Xanthorrea

I remember being on board Constitution and being surprised by just how big a 24 lbr. is on its carriage. When I was building Revell's model of her in the early 60s they didn't seem so huge. ;-)
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Quick firing three incher?
    That's what she said.
    She being some random ~30 year old woman in my school who apparently encountered quite a number of them when she wasted her trip to japan in host clubs and once accidentally typed "over 17 not admitted".

Back to the topic at hand I would prefer a small long barrel narrow bore swivel gun over a thunder mug.
    If a hostile don't listen to the blank the next bang can be 4 ounces of 000 buck if needs be while a thunder mug can only make noise.

On the topic of thunder mugs...
    There are some power lines over a local sidewalk with enough crapping pigeons to f++king coat the sidewalk from lawn to street.
    Are there any off the shelf thunder mugs you can trust to safely take the pressure of over 12 drams of blackpowder and a sizable amount of shot in a modern sabot for under $300
    Does shot exist that will kill pigeons but not harm low hanging insulated cables?

the shot, however small, is likely to damage the power lines... if ya gotta, shoot em with detergent just before a rain/freeze

not sure 'shooting' is the best way to apply the detergent though... it may very well be explosive under those conditions

Quote Originally Posted by DanSkorupka View Post
    That's what she said.
    She being some random ~30 year old woman in my school who apparently encountered quite a number of them when she wasted her trip to japan in host clubs and once accidentally typed "over 17 not admitted".

Back to the topic at hand I would prefer a small long barrel narrow bore swivel gun over a thunder mug.
    If a hostile don't listen to the blank the next bang can be 4 ounces of 000 buck if needs be while a thunder mug can only make noise.

On the topic of thunder mugs...
    There are some power lines over a local sidewalk with enough crapping pigeons to f++king coat the sidewalk from lawn to street.
    Are there any off the shelf thunder mugs you can trust to safely take the pressure of over 12 drams of blackpowder and a sizable amount of shot in a modern sabot for under $300
    Does shot exist that will kill pigeons but not harm low hanging insulated cables?
    Taking them out one by one with a quality air rifle is far more sporting and doesn't spoil the meat.

I suggest this.

The beach beckons.

Shiny.