Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

Default Re: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

That's a great feeling when all those little marks that you double and triple-checked earlier start to line up correctly in real-life.
    Looking really good!

Mike

Thanks for the positive feedback Mike. Hope my build looks as good as yours - when I get that far someday. Seems painfully slow.

Tom
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

It will for a while. Just wait until you get a plank hung. That will be a big milestone.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Good work Tom, I like your descriptions of battles with timber felling and drying etc. have a look at Peter Sibleys "JIM" thread for how he drilled holes in his moulds for clamping the planks onto the build, it will make your life a bit easier I hope.

Andrew, thanks for the suggestion. I have been watching Peter Sibleys "JIM" thread and you are right the holes would be helpful. Once I get to the point of planking I will drill them for my clamps.

Tom
    Steamboat

A little more progress has been made. The centerboard slot has been cut in the keelson and the keelson has been fixed to the building frame. A plumb-bob hung from the centerline of the keelson through the centerboard slot lines up nicely with the line stretched down the middle of the building frame. The fore and aft inner stems have been glued to the keelson and work on fairing the keelson into the fore stem is coming along. The major work on the fairing was done with a power plane but as I am getting closer to the final curve a small block plane across the grain works best. A pair of 1/2X1-1/2 SYP fairing battens have been glued-up that are long enough to be mounted along both sheer lines as a first step in final fairing of the molds.
    [IMG]45-StemstoKeelsonGlue-up_zps656f6a93 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]46-centerboardslot_zpsae2fab70 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]47-Fairingkeelsonintoforestem_zps1eeeb484 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have been watching/reading a number of current and past builds for hints and info on aspects of building different components of a boat. I want to acknowledge them for their helpful info. They are: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-20-Sooty-Tern, http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-18-Beach-Yawl, http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...lur-in-Vermont, http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ild-in-Prov-RI, http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...oot-canoe-yawl, http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Caledonia-Yawl, and http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ht=snooty+turn.

Yes, I am taking some advice from James McMullen even though I have completely ignored his ‘what could go wrong with that’ view of the wood I am using for the backbone, floors and centerboard case frames. I must admit Mr. McMullen has experience in boatbuilding I will never match. That being said, Iain Oughtred appears to have a more liberal idea of what is acceptable building material based on the potential building lumber listed in his Boatbuilding Manual. Let the firestorm begin!

Working with black locust is not as easy as other softer and more ‘friendly grained’ woods but it is not impossible by any means. The grain is a bit squirrely sometimes but there have been ways around the problem. It is often very easy to work a plane across the grain when it won’t work with the grain in either direction. It also takes nicely to a rasp in places where it fights a plane. When it comes to gluing with epoxy BL does appear to burnish even with a just sharpened plane. This makes scratching up the faying surfaces with 60-grit sandpaper to provide some toe hold for the epoxy advisable. I am sure I will find other issues with the BL as I continue the build.
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Steamboat

Any updates?

A little more progress has been made. Rough bevel of keelson to building frame is done. Some people appear to do this rolling bevel by eye but I just found that I need a batten to control the angle threw the length of the keel.
    [IMG]48-Beveling-FairingKeelson-1_zpsfc67472e by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Power planer had convenient imbeded threaded 'nuts' that allowed me to attach a guide to ride along the batten to control the angle and roll of the bevel.

Witness cuts were a great help with both the angle and depth of cut.
    [IMG]49-Beveling-FairingKeelson-2_zpsa85daf8a by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]50-Beveling-FairingKeelson-3_zps940faba0 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

On another front, I tried to source my plywood as locally as possible, I like to support local businesses. That did not work out too well. The vendors within reasonable driving range either only had fir 'marine ply' or okoume. I would have to order the okoume and wait for 30-days before I could pick it up from supplier. Ordered Meranti BS1088 Hydrotek from that ark of a company that straddles the NY-Canadian border. The ply will be delivered 4/1/14. Including the shipping to the house, the cost is about 50% of the price from 'local' vendor in NJ. This is not just the price difference between okoume and meranti! Had I ordered okoume from the non-local supplier the price would have still been 60% less than local.
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo/auto correct strangeness
    Steamboat

So I am a little slow at the work and slower still at updating my progress!

Made scarfer 1000 and tried to use it for pattern stock and planking only to discover the cross bars were to weak for the job making a curved scarf.
    [IMG]51-Scarfer1000_zps445c04dc by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]52-Scarffromscarfer1000_zpsdbb3db13 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Replaced the cross bars on scarfer 1000 and now have scarfer 2000! Started to cut scarfs but my 1977 Craftsman router dropped a brush and fried. Replaced that with a Dewalt and was off and running.
    [IMG]53-Scarffromscarfer2000_zps49e959ef by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Completed beveling the keelson and traced a full sized luan pattern off of the keelson and plank land locations on the building mold.

Cut the pattern and re-offered it to the building mold for fine tuning.
    [IMG]52-GarboardPattern_zps7730a717 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Traced the pattern onto planking stocks for my pair of garboards, rough cut and then planed to the line.

[IMG]55-Paninggardoardpair_zps34ab613c by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Offered up the garboards for a final fitting and glued them to the keelson, stem and stern post. Once the glue had cured a couple of days I removed the clamps and the planks lay nicely on the molds.
    [IMG]56-Garboardmounted_zps97005128 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

After a few not so subtle hints my wife ran out and got a little Talisker to celebrate the occasion!

Skål to Iain Oughtred, the beautiful boats he designs and to my Garboards! Hopefully I'll do this design justice.
    [IMG]57-Talisker_zps9fb8e50e by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now on to the next pair of planks. Since this is my first time spiling I will continue to make full sized patterns to reduce the odds of a big mistake. I will continue this process until I get more comfortable with spiling and scarf placement.
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Steamboat

Time to get caught up on my build - there has been some down time because of life’s little commitments but some of it was a vacation here.
    [IMG]IMG_0827_zps25ebfa09 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

For the second strake I decided to try glueing up the scarfs on the building frame. Still made a full length pattern from my spiling using a mix of the compass arc method and divider/grid method. Made a full size pattern and fine tuned it to building frame, cut plank segments to pattern and dry fit/fine tuned plank segments to the boat.

Decided to do the glue-up in two steps, did the ‘hood ends’ fore ad aft first and after cure added the midship plank segments.
    [IMG]58-1057_zps97c3c665 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

The one thing wrong with my approach was to have the scarf joints too close to the station molds. Clamping the glue-up and getting the planks to lay correctly on the molds becomes difficult when scarfs are too close to the molds.
    [IMG]60-1068_zps78755ad1 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]59-1067_zpsa2b2f6c6 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: delete word
    Steamboat

For the third strake I went back to assembling full length planks (in pairs). I beveled and cut the gains in the second strakes, made short patterns of the ‘hood ends’ and tied the for and aft ‘hood ends' with spiling battens [IMG]61-1114_zpsa942300f by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG], spiled and assembled a full length luan pattern.
    [IMG]62-1122_zpsce51240b by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Selected my scarf locations and cut out three pairs blanks to form a pair strakes for position 3 . Scarfs were cut into the blanks and then the blanks were laid out under the luan pattern.

The pattern was traced onto the blanks, with a heavy pencil line, and the blanks were cut just to the line.
    [IMG]63-1123_zps7e1c21da by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-01-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Steamboat

The plank segments were reassemble and checked with the full length pattern and the scarfs were glued up.

Once cured, the plank pairs were offered up to the building form for final fitting and planed to fit as a pair.
    [IMG]64-1131_zps059c6e1e by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Port plank was glued into place and then the starboard side plank was set up for a final dry fit before gluing.
    [IMG]65-1132_zps3a2cff2f by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]66-1138_zps7784b82f by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

What I liked best about the fit of these strakes is how well they wrapped around the station molds nested into place.

For my hands and mind-set I find the full length plank method more workable than scarfing on the building form. Even though I am mostly working alone the full length planks are not that hard to manipulate.
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-01-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    Steamboat

great progress Steamboat. If I can offer some advice dealing with full length planks on your own. When I did the dry run with the planks in place I then screwed some register sticks to the moulds, about three frames apart near the centre of boat. Remove plank, apply epoxy to plank on flat surface, carry to boat, locate against register sticks, then lay down on previous plank. Put some tape on new plank at position of register sticks to locate plank for/aft.
    Envious of you able to turn fallen timber into something other than firewood.

carry on

Great work. Have you found the process of invention to achieve a result rewarding? It is this aspect of boat building that I find the most rewarding. It is always a pleasure to come up with a solution to a problem yourself than rely on others. As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat". There is no right or wrong only the satisfaction that it worked.
    I look forward to a pic of you on the ogin with your boat.
    Trev

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    great progress Steamboat. If I can offer some advice dealing with full length planks on your own. When I did the dry run with the planks in place I then screwed some register sticks to the moulds, about three frames apart near the centre of boat. Remove plank, apply epoxy to plank on flat surface, carry to boat, locate against register sticks, then lay down on previous plank. Put some tape on new plank at position of register sticks to locate plank for/aft.
    Envious of you able to turn fallen timber into something other than firewood.

carry on
    Andrew, thanks for the suggestions. I actually am doing something similar. Boat has seven station molds so on molds three and five I drive a 6d finishing nails into the mold just on the outside edge of the plank lands and index the planks to the nails. During the dry fit I make a series of tick marks on the outer ends for confirmation of the position my glued-up planks. This has worked well for the bottom of the boat but as I proceed around the turn of the bilge I will probable need something more substantial to keep the planks in place.
    Steamboat

Quote Originally Posted by sheerline View Post
    Great work. Have you found the process of invention to achieve a result rewarding? It is this aspect of boat building that I find the most rewarding. It is always a pleasure to come up with a solution to a problem yourself than rely on others. As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat". There is no right or wrong only the satisfaction that it worked.
    I look forward to a pic of you on the ogin with your boat.
    Trev
    Thanks for the positive comments Trev! Yes, re-inventing/adjusting the methods to my needs and getting a good result is rewarding. It is so hard to be patient for the day when the boat is launched sailed on the ogin!
    Steamboat

So, for the fourth strake I wanted to bypass the full sized luan pattern process to try and reduce the number of steps/amount of work done to cut and hang a plank. Did my usual spiling batten with ‘hood’ end patterns on each end of the batten and made a full length pattern on red rosin paper left over from laying a hard wood floor.
    [IMG]67-1148_zps0797b3ae by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Marked off the planned scarf joints and cut the pattern at each scarf. This makes it very easy to plan the layout for cutting plank segments out of plywood stock and reduces the loss of plywood. I cut very close to the lines traced from the pattern which reduced the amount of plaining done to fit the plank to the boat.
    [IMG]68-1157_zps339b242f by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

The only problem there is no way I would use the paper pattern to layout the final glue-up of a full length plank. The luan pattern is stiff enough to guide the glue-up but I could not trust the paper pattern. This meant that I had to go back to gluing up the scarfs on the building frames. Though in my last post I said I like the full length plank approach best I now have to eat my words. I am finding, in the long run, laying the planks on in well laid out segments and gluing scarfs in place is easier when working alone.
    [IMG]69-1195_zps96690822 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]70-1197_zps3c52d398 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-01-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    Steamboat

In my last post I was using paper patterns to cut out the plank segments and gluing the scarf joints together on the building mold at the same time the planks were being glued in place. There were aspects of this I found cumbersome so I improved the way I prepared the paper patterns. This improvement leaves a pattern in place on my workbench that allows me to correctly assemble the planks and glue scarf joints off the boat. I am lucky to have a bench long enough to do this.

I will use this approach to make the last three strakes of the the boat. It is likely that no pro would go through this process since it is slow, but for a person like me who is developing faith in their spiling abilities it provides some certainty in making up full length planks and having them fit in place well.

As before I lay my full length spiling batten from the building frame on top of the paper pattern stock.
    [IMG]71_1259_zps3a55d527 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

The station positions are marked on the pattern and then the locations of the scarf joints are marked on the pattern

The points from the spiling batten are transferred to the pattern paper and 4d finishing nails are driven through these points into the bench top. A batten is lined up against the nails, faired, and the line is traced.
    [IMG]72_1262_zpsb22cbc5c by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

The plank pattern is sliced out and the gluing pattern is taped to the bench as the pattern is cut.
    [IMG]73_1265_zpsf8e66ae2 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Before cutting plank segments the plank pattern is spot checked against the building mold between each station and between the first and last station and the stems.
    [IMG]75_1274_zpsdc090d4a by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-01-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Steamboat

This gluing pattern provides easy alignment of the plank sections so full length planks can be assemble off of the building mold.
    [IMG]74_1277_zpse9eb10fb by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

With the 5th and 6th planks in place I’ve done enough planking to have built 1-1/2 4-strake Caledonia yawls. For those who are not that strongly committed to the aesthetics of a seven strake CY I would recommend a four strake. I still strongly prefer the seven strake but am paying for it in my elevated patients quotient. That does not mean that this has not be a very satisfying and rewarding process!
    [IMG]76_1279_zps42877533 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]79_1286_zps79f794d8 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a little trick for those of us with not so steady hand. When I make witness cuts to help define the bevel in the receiving plank but have a tendency to mess up the plank land edge on my molds. To prevent this, a bindery clip is place on the mold at the plank land so the saw does not chew up the mold edge. I wonder who was the first person to try this.
    [IMG]81_1236_zps35532760 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-01-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Add missing word
    Steamboat

Looking great, Tom. I love that side-view in the post above! One more pair and you can finally have that wee dram again.

Mike

So now that I am almost done with planking I am thinking of how to finish/paint the boat. I hope to seal/prime the exterior before I tun the boat over. For the exterior Gougeon Brothers recommends at least two barrier coats of epoxy as does Geoff Kerr. Iain Oughtred is a big fan of Deks Olje I & II but I think it is pointless to put it over epoxy and I don’t think the exterior is pristine enough for a bright finish. Deks Olje may look good on the inside and be easy to maintain, but is it unwise to not barrier coat the inside if you do barrier coat the outside? Please advise?

One other issue. Though the boat will generally be trailer sailed it may occasionally be put in the water for a week at a time. Does this mean it needs ‘real’ bottom paint and if so what type/brand? Please make your suggestions?
    Steamboat

For what it's worth, I found CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) to be a good, easy to use sealer. I coated the outside of my boat with epoxy, and if I had it to do over, I'd use CPES. It really penetrates, rather than sitting on top.
    I used TotalBoat from JD on the two bottom strakes of the interior. It doesn't blush, and with a light sanding, it's ready for primer, paint or varnish.

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks Mike, CPES is worth serious consideration!
    Steamboat

Skål Sandy! So break out that bottle of Talisker Dark Storm that I was given for Christmas! Many thanks to my wife’s cousin and his lovely wife who brought it home from a business trip in the British Isles for this express purpose: The whiskey plank is on!
    [IMG]91_1520_zps703baeab by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

In putting the sixth and seventh plank pairs on I used full plank patterns. I am sure that I’ve reinvented the wheel again by putting the plank pattern under the roughed-out plank pair, resting the side of the plane on the work bench and planing until the sole of the plane, next to the plane’s mouth, hits the plank pattern and won’t cut any further. Nice square plank edges right to size!
    [IMG]83_1471_zps9f9c545a by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

More reinventing of the wheel:
    With working alone I needed to make the final hanging of the plank easier. To do this I get the final dry fit into place, drill a 1/4” hole through the plank lap and insert a 1/4” dowel. This is done at the middle station mold and the two flanking station molds. Once you’ve buttered up the plank lands with epoxy you hang the planks on the dowels and clamp or screw the planks in place. In my case I’ve used #8 cabinet screws with washer heads. The screws are at 4” intervals and once removed mahogany dowels will be used to plug the holes. If all looks right the shear strakes will be finished bright (I hope).
    [IMG]87_1502_zps7dd75f61 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

For a full length view, the other side:
    [IMG]82_1491_zps45855a30 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-02-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    Steamboat

Right side up make a big difference in perception - to me:
    [IMG]82v2_1491_zps93da8330 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-02-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Steamboat

Looking good. I like the dowel idea - got to remember that one.

Fine, fine choice of Single malt. Next, you need a bottle of Caol Ila for launch day...

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Looking good. I like the dowel idea - got to remember that one.
    Thanks for the positive comment. Timo, every time I see your "That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir" I think I need to see a picture of your "oars".
    Steamboat

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Burke View Post
    Fine, fine choice of Single malt. Next, you need a bottle of Caol Ila for launch day...
    Caol Ila, unfortunately I am not familiar - but that will change. I've been to Oban - we know Oban and I've been to Mull and had some Tobermory. I need to get to Islay some day.
    Steamboat

I also work alone, mostly. So i have tried many different ideas to do the planks. I settled on to system which I have outlined here.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11163...CNbfqcG-4tqDdw
    The trellis system made life much easier for me. I'm suprised that it is not used that much. Roger :-)

OK, a little more slow progress. Felt a little like Slim Pickens in "Dr Strangelove" (for those old enough to remember the movie) while planing the flat for the keel:
    [IMG]90_1538_zpsv3negj18 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Took a long time to fit the outer stems to the boat. The laminated black locust stems took a lot of elbow grease and frequent tool sharpening to get a good fit. Finally got the stems and the one piece keel glued in place. The temporary screw holes in the stems will be closed with BL plugs. Now on to scraping, sanding, fairing, sanding etc.
    [IMG]92_1631_zpsg88bsl8t by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]91keel_1626_zps2gfwvgyn by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 08-02-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    Steamboat

Cracking job you're doing there - keep up the good work!

How I learned to stop worrying and love my Yawl.

Looking great. Are you planning bilge runners? Or is it getting close to flippin' time?

Biglad, Thanks for the encouragement! Are you still sailing your CY in the Firth of Forth? It has been years since we visited Edinburgh and then Mull. How are things in Scotland?

Falcon1, Thanks for the positive comment! I am on the fence for the bilge runners but, either way I'll finish the outside before flipping. Going with a bright finished sheer strake, good old Interlux Yacht Enamel Hatteras Off White on the sides and a copper black bottom.
    Steamboat

How I learned to stop worrying and love my Yawl.
    Ha! Took me a minute but thanks for the laugh.