Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

Default Re: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

Well, yesterday was a launch to see if she floats, test the trolling motor setup and get comfortable with the Norwegian tiller. All went very well for my first ever trailer launching. In the past I've always launched with a hoist.
    I did not disconnect the trailer wench until I was sure that I did not need to quickly retrieve the boat. Another goal was to get my wife comfortable with the boat, that was a big success. We tooled around the lake at a whopping 3mph, had the centerboard down so the boat would turn on a dime with the rudder. The simple set up for raising and lower the centerboard worked just fine. When we were done the bilge was dry. Now I need to call my sailing buddy for a real sea trial with full sails.IMG_5684.jpegIMG_5689.jpegIMG_5331.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Lovely looking build. I have the study plans for the Caledonia Yawl, and have plans in the post for a Somes Sound 12 1/2. Both are beautiful boats, which do I build is the question? I like the idea of trailing/launching/retrieving a 200kg boat rather than a 630kg one, but then the CY is rather long for my build space (it would squeeze in) so I shall continue to procrastinate..................................... ...
    Regards Neil

Excellent! Congratulations on your launch.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Congratulations on your launching!
    Anxiously awaiting your sailing report coming up.

Congratulations! She looks great. Hope to see more soon.

Mike

Congratulations on pulling a dry hull boat out of the water 1st time around :-) She will sail like a dream :-)

One question - have you used an electric outboard?

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    Congratulations on pulling a dry hull boat out of the water 1st time around :-) She will sail like a dream :-)

One question - have you used an electric outboard?
    using a 55 lb thrust trolling motor. I made a faux transom on the port side just behind the aft bulkhead. The is are photos in my building thread. Works fine.
    Steamboat

Lovely looking build. I have the study plans for the Caledonia Yawl, and have plans in the post for a Somes Sound 12 1/2. Both are beautiful boats, which do I build is the question? I like the idea of trailing/launching/retrieving a 200kg boat rather than a 630kg one, but then the CY is rather long for my build space (it would squeeze in) so I shall continue to procrastinate..................................... ...
    Regards Neil

i Han about 6 inches on each end I could open the garage door for more space on one end.
    Steamboat

Looks great! Congratulations!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "
    The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything."
    Roosevelt, Theodore

Great to see your boat afloat! Skal Sandy!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I can do about 1 foot at either end..............................now you've got me thinking................

One question if I may. How do you feel about raising the mast (I'm guessing you have the free standing mast with no stays/shrouds). I can raise the mast on my Gannet fairly easily but it is only 15' long. Can you raise the mast by yourself?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I can do about 1 foot at either end..............................now you've got me thinking................
    I built my 18' boat in a narrow 19' long garage. The stem was just at the door, and there was a hanging shelf over the transom that I had to duck under.

The ability to open the garage door and work that way (which I did almost all the time) made it all work out just fine. So...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

One question if I may. How do you feel about raising the mast (I'm guessing you have the free standing mast with no stays/shrouds). I can raise the mast on my Gannet fairly easily but it is only 15' long. Can you raise the mast by yourself?
    The mast is hollow and not that heavy. With the boat on the trailer it is fairly easy to place the bottom end into the mast box and raise it buy just walking forwards while feeding it down into the mast box. Not hard but would be more shaky on the water.
    Steamboat

We had a great day out on Great Bay in New Jersey. Put in at Great Bay Marina and trolling motored out and raised the sails. Started out fully reefed and that was a good thing. New boat and though I am not a novice I ain't no expert. New unfamiliar boat and rust sailor thought the conservative approach would be best. I learned a lot starting from preping for towing, how to get down a skinny laugh ramp and raise the sail with a good wind. The fun part was how quickly the boat moved fully reefed. Good wind out of the south an my guess a stead 15 knots, small white caps and some spray. Just a guess. The boat is just as I hoped but there are some more bugs to work out. Part of the fun.
    IMG_5727.jpgIMG_5725.jpeg
    Steamboat

Amazing! Looks really great. Congratulations!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    The last item today is finding a home for the anchor. I made up a mounting bracket that could be glued to the foredeck. It is basically a meranti pad with black locust blocks for securing the anchor.

A clevis pin can hold the anchor in place but I will add a place to hook a bungee to secure the flukes.

The big question is where to place it on the deck?

Here?

Or here?

Attachment 40383

Oh yeah, I made a home for the belaying pins and the mast chock for the mast partner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    See this simple anchor storage solution? Don't do it on the port side where it can snag the sail or down haul lines. After a few sailing trips I've learned the hard way that it almost always interferes with raising and stowing the sail. Starboard side would be very different. Should have seen this coming. . .
    Steamboat

It has been a while since I have posted anything about my experiences with my CY. This is a minor post to cover two topics, retrieving the boat onto the trailer and putting the name on the boat.

When I first received the trailer there were two main bunks who’s positions and use were obvious and two small bunks who’s positions/use were not obvious to me.

Trailer-Bunks-Wrong.jpg

In the first few outings loading the boat onto the trailer was difficult. It always wanted to go on at an angle and required too much effort. After laying on my back and adjusting the bunks and correcting one roller that was out of line there was some improvement but things were still not as easy as they should be. So I added a pair of guide ons that yielded minor improvement. Then I had an epiphany (well I probably saw the obvious). I set up the two small bunks to form a “saddle” on both sides of the aft roller and voila the who process was reasonable.
    Trailer Bunks Corrected.jpeg

I had this fantasy that I could carve a nice name board got the boat. After much practice and wood butchery I started on the real name boards, this was a mistake and I really insulted a nice piece of mahogany. I should have realized considering my penmanship that this was a lost cause. I came to my senses and had name decals made by 1060 graphics that are quite alright. The had a reasonable font selection and I found one I liked. The decals are well made and are easy to apply.
    Boat Name.jpeg
    Steamboat

Nice to see that you are working with the boat to manage her more easily - having a trailer that help nudge the hull into near centreline is very, very useful I agree. I use some of the blue plastic sliders mounted at an angle similar to your to nudge the hull and winding up Bella (a 600kg motor launch) is really quite easy.
    I have started the build of my CY and bundle of timber arrived yesterday so I can start slicing and steaming more timber for the stems. Plus we have come out of lockdown in NSW (still with some restrictions) so the woodies (mogo woodcraft guild) can open up again & I can use some of their equipment to smooth out the laminations for the stems. We were in lockdown for some 107 days!
    Anyway, must rush off and create some more sawdust.................................

Love your boat btw. Regards Neil

Read this posting with large grains of salt for my perspective on things may be very different from how you see things. I do not believe in the “one true right way” when it comes to making your setup fit for purpose. My desire for this boat is to have a very seaworthy dingy for day sailing with friends and family that is a pleasure to sail. I can happily say she exceeds expectations and I feel great satisfaction when sitting in her and feeling her glide through the water. I sail in both Barnegat Bay and Great Bay NJ where there is no need to strike the mast and row under a bridge.

My original set up of the lug sail followed Iain Oughtred’s plan except for the mast traveler. I used the parrel beads tied through the eye of a hook on the yard end of halyard. I simply used the typical strop at the specified location on the yard. Since this fixed the position of the yard relative to the mast I only had a short segment of the yard leathered. This was just fine for raising the sail and sailing but I found the lowering of the sail with people in the boat cumbersome and I found the way the boom was forced forward as the yard was lowered inconvenient for reefing and unreefing. Additionally, with people in the boat not having a topping lift or lazyjacks leaves people sharing space with the yard and sail. For a pleasure sail this is not always pleasurable.

Parrel Setup
    Parrels & Leather.jpeg

My first attempt to improve creature comfort was to experiment with a pair of 1/8’ Vectran classic (because I had some) ‘toping lifts’. These were made from lines that ran from the top of the mast through two pad eyes on the bottom of the boom back up to the top of the mast. To make these ‘toping lifts’ emulate some features of lazyjacks padeyes where positioned on the boom with one padeye near the aft end of the boom and the other padeye located just aft of the mast. This allowed these two ‘topping lifts’ to form a place for the yard and sail to nest. Each of these lines were parted where I made eye splices on both ends. Little lobster claw clips were attached to one end of each pair of lines. When setting up for launching the loop end of a ‘topping lift’ was passed through a padeye on the boom and captured by the lobster claw on the other side. All very simple, maybe, worked great in the driveway! At the boat ramp the lines were a pain in the posterior to keep from fouling. Once un-fouled and setup they did as I had hoped. They made controlling the sail on both raising and lowering very manageable and out of the laps of the ‘crew’. While the boom and yard are resting in the lifts flaking and bundling the sail for transport is a breeze. Sadly the setup is not practical. Yeah, I hear the “I could have told you that!” ringing in my ears. On the next outing I eliminated the forward ‘topping lift’ but this was not really satisfactory.

'Topping Lifts'

topping lifts1.jpg
    Topping Lifts.jpeg

The next steps were to deal with a better ‘topping lift’ or lazyjack design and try the Dickson Kemp method for managing the yard and boom. This will be the topic of my next post.
    Steamboat

Hybrid Lazyjacks

The topping lifts/lazyjacks do not have the usual boom slings running through pulleys but are spliced to where the pulleys should reside. I guess these could be called hybrid lazyjacks.
    The lobster claw clamps of the previous version were replaced by a soft shackle like system. The sliding loop part of the soft shackle passes through the padeye under the boom up to the button knot on the other end of the sling. Again there is a sling around the boom just aft of the mast and a a sling near the aft end of the boom. The general design setup can be see in the simple drawing.
    Hybrid Lazyjacks2.jpeg.001.jpeg
    Sail with Jacks.jpeg

The next picture shows the Lazyjack Ends with the slip part of the shackle on one end and the button knot that it mates with. To have the two bitter ends for tying the button not a short piece of line was spliced into the port sides of the sling and once the button was tied the tag ends were splice into the main line. I like this setup because it does not have any heavy hardware and does not interfere with the sail. The lobster claw clasps would lay against the sail on a port tack.
    Lazyjack Ends.jpeg
    Last edited by Steamboat; 10-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.
    Steamboat

My Version of the Dickson Kemp Yard Control Method

To make attaching and disconnecting the yard from the thimble on halyard I incorporated the thimble in a soft shackle. I still use a strop around the yard in the hope that the strop will cinch the yard tightly enough to keep it from slipping. After raising and lowering the sail in the driveway a number of times the ‘best’ position for the strop was approximated. To accommodate the movement of the yard relative to the mast on reefing three leathers were added to the yard between the marlin lacings. Finally, one of the most ancient and traditional rigging devices, the dog collar, was attached to the boom at the down haul. The dog collar keeps the boom close to the mast and keeps the boom from pushing forwards when the sail is lowered. So far this setup is working very well and makes yard and sail management very easy. Bundling the sail, boom and yard for trailering while in the lazyjacks is very convenient. Hopefully it will stand the test of time.
    Sliding Thimble.jpeg
    Thimble on Yard.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    Last edited by Steamboat; 10-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    Steamboat

Thanks Steamboat for an excellent thread and photographs - I am inspired - I have just planed the keelson and aprons on my CY that I am building. Am making a template for the garboard plank - lovely to see the shape starting to emerge................

Regards Neil

p.s. I am thinking of calling her Uisge Beath

Thanks Steamboat for an excellent thread and photographs - I am inspired - I have just planed the keelson and aprons on my CY that I am building. Am making a template for the garboard plank - lovely to see the shape starting to emerge................

Regards Neil

p.s. I am thinking of calling her Uisge Beath

Thank you for your kind comments. Uisge Beath ​is an excellent name!
    Steamboat