Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

Default "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

Skål is the old Danish spelling of skoal!

So I have plans and a name “Skål”, and was looking to source some local Black Locust when a nice big locust decided to make its presence felt. Thank you Hurricane Sandy. Now the name is "Skål Sandy!”.

The tree is leaning on the back side of my home. Was not a hard fall so not structural damage to the house or ring separation likely in the trunk. I think I can get a 14 foot long 14” to 17” diameter straight piece from the trunk. The tree comes down tomorrow and the trunk , I hope to get it to a sawmill the same day. I believe I should be able to get stems, keelson, keel and maybe the centerboard trunk frame out of it the log. This will be initially a slow burn build for I have too much work around the house to do but maybe that is a good thing - gives the lumber time to air dry. I will probably do rough cuts for the parts and rack it in my garage for a while for it to air dry. Not sure how much excess size I need for shrinkage. Also, I am planning on laminated stems and thought I should cut the strips right away and bend them over the molds and allow them to dry like that before I glue them up. Is that a bad idea?

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated for this is my first real build. The first two 'boats' were kits, a Chesapeake 17 kayak and a Prospector Ranger canoe where I purchased molds and cove and bead strips. So this means I am as green as the wood.
    Tree picts:
    [IMG]1-A_PICT0565 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]1-B_PICT0567 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: insert pictures
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Default Re: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

So.. kind of lucky then? At least you can benefit from it. Kind of a cool backstory... "I grew this boat in my backyard, I just didn't know it until Sandy reminded me."

Have the lumber rough milled into usable sizes, then stack and sticker it outside under a cover.

Proceed to learn how to Loft, and loft the boat. Then build the backbone and molds.

At the rate of "slow burn", Im going to venture out and guess that by this time its been 2 years, and the wood is probably in usable condition. Actual drying times will, of course, vary.

Bring as much tree to the sawyer as possible. A couple short sections might be perfect for your stem laminations. Carve up a couple knees, crooks, and crotches, and you'll be the envy of most of us.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Steamboat if you cut out a couple of stem pieces oversize they'd be pretty easy to steam bend while the wood is green- just something to think about anyway I had a beautiful small tree in my back yard called a Robinia (Hillerii to be precise), which split in a windstorm a few months ago. I cut it off near the ground and now suckers are coming up everywhere from the rootstock which is- Black Locust! Prolly won't live long enough to make a boat from it though. JayInOz

BBSebens & JayInOz, Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try to harvest more of the tree than I initially suggested. Might be some pretty breast hooks in there and more potential further up the tree! Not sure I am up to the steam bent stems but I have time to think about that issue.
    Steamboat

Fallen black locust harvested, three logs: 1 - 16 feet by 13” to 17” dia, 2 - 16 feet by 13” to 10” dia, 3 - 12 feet by 10” dia. Four crooks of various sizes. Can’t get logs cut at sawmill for a month but may play with crooks on bandsaw at home. Need to make a jig for the bandsaw to cut them.
    [IMG]1-C_PI
    CT0576

[IMG]1-D_PICT05
    [IMG]1-E_PICT0583
    Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]1-F_PIC

Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    Steamboat

Wow! Thats a score! You could nearly build the whole boat from the one tree.

I bet you could sell off one of those large logs to a boatbuilder to offset the cost of some of your hardware.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I wish I had a tree like that fall NEAR my house. On it would be too nerve wracking but somewhere out back... If only I had BL here on my property.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

So I have been impatiently waiting to get to work on Skål Sandy!, but life and other obligations kept getting in the way. Finally, today my son and I picked up the Black Locust that we had rough cut at a local sawmill. There is some good stuff in the lot and some slabs that will not yield large pieces but will be useful none the less. There are a couple of good pieces that will be fine for the keelson and stems. If I plan well I am sure centerboard case frames and floors will come out of this too. While I was at the mill I also picked up to near perfect doug fir 1X12X12's as well.

[IMG]1-g-L
    [IMG]2-Lumber by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    Steamboat

Took this large slab and cut into the straightest segments of about 6'9' to 7' each for making strips for stem laminates.
    [IMG]3-Slab for stems by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then ripped down the pith in two passes because timber was too thick for my circular saw which now needs to be resharpened.
    [IMG]4-Slab cut in
    [IMG]5-Rip Slab by

The segment between the lines was cut out as stock for cutting quarter sawn stem laminates.
    [IMG]6-Stem Stoc

The stem stock was ripped into 1/4"X2-1/2X6'9" strips. Need 15 more!
    [IMG]7-Stem Strips b

The three remaining slab segments will be ripped into strips as as the above.
    [IMG]8-Strips and slabs by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Steamboat

Way cool.

You were lucky the tree didn't take out that second story window.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Coincidentally I am sitting in front of a small locust fire right now, from remnants left over after a particularly fruitful trip to the river last fall. The planks are valuable, but those knees and elbows are gold.

It is so cool to see nice usable boards emerge from the fallen tree. Good on ya!
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

This entry is for the benefit of those who, like me, have little to no experience with having logs rough cut and then want to complete the processing of the slabs into finish lumber for their boat build.

So, the truth is out, I am guilty of being criminally naive! I had made some assumptions about this idea of using my Black Locust logs that just did not hold up. The assumptions were (1) I believed the mill when they said that they could saw good slabs from the logs of my tree. (2) The slabs could be kiln dried properly and be kept straight without internal stresses and tension (Gougeon brothers stated that for laminate building kiln dried wood was fine...) Those of you who are experienced builders will say, “what were you thinking?”, or “we warned you”. The mill said that that they knew how to dry the wood. (3) The good solid looking logs would not have that many surprised hidden inside. (4) With careful cutting and planing I would be able to salvage straight pieces of lumber from any warped slabs.

OK, so for assumption number one: Expecting the mill to cut straight I asked for an 8/4 slab out of my largest log, it was on average 8/8 but it ranged from 3/4 to 11/4. The 5/4 slab the mill cut was 3/4 to 7/4. In both cases the skinny part was not at the end but about 1/3 third the way in so much value was lost. I had hoped to get a single piece of finish cut lumber of 1”X4-1/4”X14’ from the 5/4 slab for my keelson - not a chance. OK scarf some pieces together.

This photo shows a 4’ rule on the wood an the 3/4” gap from the mil’s saw wandering.
    [IMG]12-5:4 saw

For assumption number two: Kiln drying is OK. The kiln dried BL likes to split up the pith. I sliced the slabs down their centers with my circular saw and a good straight saw guide. By the time the cut was done the stress/tension from the shrinkage in the outer surface of the wood caused it generate a good curve in the straight cut that I made. Cord depth over 14 to 17 feet was about one inch.

This photo is the set up for a straight down the pith cut.
    [IMG]10-Cutting do
    This photo shows the curve that develops as the wood is ripped.
    [IMG]11-Warp after

Assumption number three: No surprises inside... I carefully cut out a straight sided, square and sound looking piece of lumber appropriate for cutting 1/4”X2-1/4”X7’ strips for fore stem laminates. After ripping a few strips I found a significant hole inside the lumber. As a result a number of strips were rejected and more lumber went into cutting the stem laminates than planned. There were also knots inside that were not apparent from the external surfaces of the lumber.

This photo shows an example of the surprises that are hidden in the wood. There are a good number of surprises.
    [IMG]13-surprise ins

Assumption number four: With careful work with a power plane, thickness plane and table or band saw I was able to salvage straight pieces of lumber from the warped slabs. It was time and labor intensive but I did get a straight, square piece with minimal imperfections for the keel. In this boat the keel is a bit shorter and narrower than the keelson.

I changed my tack and made the goal to mill my slabs into the best pieces of lumber I could produce and not focus on producing lumber of specific sizes for major parts of the boat. I did get useful pieces of lumber from the process. I will not get my keelson but I will get both fore and aft stems, the centerboard trunk/case frames, the keel and some floors. I have set aside one piece of vertical grain wood that will be the cap for the centerboard trunk. This piece has an attractive color and pleasing grain pattern so it will be bright finished.

For the keelson I have found a mill with some good 5/4 BL that has been stacked and stickered in his drying shed for 2-years. It is in 8’ lengths but I’ll scarf it together. It will not be cheap, but I do think it is fair to pay the man for his knowledge, ability and time to work through enough BL logs to find and cut good quarter-sawn lumber.

Would I do this again, yes but I would process the wood green and AIR DRY IT.

Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    Steamboat

I don't know much about milling logs, but to me sounds like the mill royally screwed up your lumber. I'd be pissed if I asked for an 8/4 slab and that's what I got (unless I missed it and it was someone doing you a favor)
    -Justin

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I appreciate craft as much as the next guy, but someone has had too much granola.

I have a cherry and an ash also weakened by Sandy and later felled by spring storm, waiting to be milled. Was told to only have sawn from Nov-Mar to prevent checking. I did slab cut a 3' section with a chainsaw and stickered in shade under cover-started checking so maybe advice given was correct, Anyone else heard of this?
    Remain In Neutral And Move On To The Next Target

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I promise, no more whining about my wood as a little boat building begins. Copied all the patterns from Ian O’s plans to mylar for use in the shop and am now working up the fore stem. Cleaned up the rough cut laminate strips, have a preliminary setup of the laminating jig and I am playing with a dry fit before the final glue-up. I have compensated for the theoretical spring by 3/16” on both ends.

Right now the biggest issue is the amount of force required to fully pull the keel end of the stem laminates up to the last stop on the jig. I feel like I am making a large wooden truck spring and my Bessey bar clamps are stressed to the max. There are two possible paths to make the job easier. The first is to simply bend the apron first and then bend the outer stem around the apron. My concern is making the correct compensation of the spring back of the outer stem. The second option is to dry bend the laminate strips onto the jig prior to the glue up with epoxy thickened with West 403 microfibers.
    [IMG]14-Layout
    [IMG]15-Fine tuning Jig and Dry

Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    Steamboat

Nice so far.

Did a quick ‘dry bend’ test with a rejected Black Locust lam strip and a heat gun. Yes, as expected you can get a bend but I do not like the process for several reasons. Temperature control is difficult and even heating is unlikely. The grain on the heated face does develop a color change that suggests that bad things are happening to the wood. Process is way to slow to be practical for the up to 5” thick laminate of the combined apron and outer stem. At this point I think a stepwise lamination process is likely to give better results.[IMG]16-Dry Bend Experiment by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add missing phrase.
    Steamboat

OK, after contemplating two complicated solutions to the high force required to pull the stem laminate plies up to the bending stops I finally moved on to the obvious simple solution. I used the solution everyone uses, add more bending/clamping stops and get better clamps. Added two more stops to each end bring the total to 13 clamping points. Great excuse to buy four new quick grip type clamps. I am surprised by how much more powerful the quick grip clamps are over my screw clamps. The picture below is my last dry fit before glue-up. No problem getting the plies to conform to the mold.
    [IMG]17-Improve
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    Steamboat

Made a lumber run today. Found a small sawmill in Glen Gardener, NJ that had a good supply of air dried black locust. Bought five boards of 5/4” X 5 -6” X10’ and one 8/4” X 6-1/2” X 10’. The boards are straight , flat and essentially defect free. The 8/4” was in the shed for 5-years and the 5/4 was in the shed for 2-years. I will use two of the 5/4” boards for the keelson. The sawyer had quite a good stock of white oak and cedar as well. All limber was in long narrow drying sheds - neatly stacked and stickered If anyone is interested in the name and number of the mill please private email me and I will provide the info.
    [IMG]18-Air Dried Black Locust by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    Steamboat

Final glue-up of fore stem was made last Thursday. Had covered the table with PE sheet, taped the points on the jig stops, and separately wrapped the apron and outer stem in PE sheets. Sorta a ‘suspenders & belt’ approach to avoid accidental glueing of stem to jig. Broke down the glue-up yesterday. The spring-back calculated was dead on at 3/16.
    [IMG]19-Fore Stem Gl
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    Steamboat

I've been away from boat building for a while with home and other distractions. Home projects are coming to an end:
    Just one example: New shower pan & marble and ceramic wall, and ceiling below the bathroom...
    [IMG]20-distraction by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Been spending a lot of time with the all volunteer food pantry - feeds about 800 people per month but back to boat building!
    Cleaned-up the apron and stem laminated earlier, trimmed & Rough beveled:
    [IMG]21-Fore apron trim by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]22-fore apron beveled and trimmed by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cut lams for sternpost apron and did dry mock-up:
    [IMG]23-Stern Post Apron Dry Fit by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Will let sit in mold until after TG and then glue up.
    Keelson is laid out from single plank from BL that fell on house.
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    Steamboat

Would I do this again, yes but I would process the wood green and AIR DRY IT.
    I don't think you did anything wrong. It's just that locust is a really hard wood to work with. I air dried a couple of trees years ago and had exactly the same problems - there are so many internal stresses in the trunk, it's always going to bend after you cut it. And the fibres are so strong it's hard to use regular edge tools. In the end I used only a power planer and a belt sander. I had it milled by a guy with a huge wood mizer powered by a truck engine. He was cursing me because the locust kept bending and dulling his blades and as the daylight faded there were sparks flying out with the sawdust. Having said that I got some great structural members out of it - stem, backbone, transom, floors, and some fine cleats. I also made a bannister rail which is indestructible, but to this day has a pronounced curve. In many ways it's a remarkable species. When it's freshly cut it is literally green, and will easily bend beyond what you might think what was possible in any wood.

"If life gives you lemons... make lemonade" That saying is pretty lame.

This is what I like better now: "If a Black Locust falls on your house... build a boat" Way cooler.

Good work sir - especially that you have a name for it before even starting the boat.

Cut the laminates for the outer stern post today and set aside for glue-up once stern post apron is laminated.
    Will scarf pieces for keelson next - scarfs will be under centerboard trunk logs. Have keel, which is shorted than the keelson laid out as a single piece.[IMG]24-outer stern post lams by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add photo
    Steamboat

Misspoke in last entry (if you can do that in text). Have full length keel out of a single piece of LB from tree not keelson. Keelson is longer and I must scarf two boards to get the keelson. Glued up the sternpost apron and cleaned it up with my new $10 low end Victory jack plane. Put a Hock blade and chip breaker in the plane and its great. My bench plane is an old Fulton (low end Sears circa 1950) and the Hock blade & chip breaker is moving between them. Put the apron back in the jig warped in plastic and dry-fitted the outer aft stem laminates to the apron & jig. Jig table will be converted to a panel scarfer once I finish the bent glue-ups.
    [IMG]25-sternpostaprongluded_zps506f901c by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]26-10-JackPlane_zps4ad9190b by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]27-SternPostAproncleanedup_zpscb155565 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]28-AftStemOutlamsDryFit_zpse2443477 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    Steamboat

Completed glue up of outer aft stem:
    [IMG]29-Glue-upofoutersternpost_zpsa30ad8a1 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    In the middle of laying out and cutting molds. Had traced full sized patterns to mylar to save on wear and tear of paper plans from IO.
    [IMG]31-LayingoutMolds_zpsbbe6d460 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Steamboat

Finally have the molds cut and trimmed to size. Laying out the patterns on the cut molds things look good but we'll see how good when I start fairing the molds on the frame. Now starts the hard part - organizing the garage so I can set up the building frame. Where am I going to put all that stuff? I will be very happy when the building frame is completed.
    [IMG]32-MoldsPreped_zps87520a13 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Steamboat

Looking good. That's a nice tree, looking forward to seeing those lovely grown knees and breast hooks!

Cool build! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm a complete novice building one of Iain O's early double-enders, the Whilly Boat.
    Have you been following Off Center Harbor's C.Y. build by Geoff Kerr? I love his pastry bag dispenser for thickened epoxy. Got 100 of 'em from a restaurant supply place in town.

Good luck, and Skal!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Cool build! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm a complete novice building one of Iain O's early double-enders, the Whilly Boat.
    Have you been following Off Center Harbor's C.Y. build by Geoff Kerr? I love his pastry bag dispenser for thickened epoxy. Got 100 of 'em from a restaurant supply place in town.

Good luck, and Skal!

Mike
    Thanks for the positive comments. I too am a novice, one stitch and glue kayak and a 15' cedar strip canoe (http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g439/keelhauled1/) so far. The CY is a bit more to take on.
    I have not looked at Geoff Kerr's Off Center Harbor CY build yet, thanks for drawing it to my attention, I will review the videos.
    Good luck with your Whilly Boat - I will look for your posts here.
    Steamboat

Ok - so I have some minor progress, scarfed the keelson and glued it together. Scarf is 12:1 and will be backed up by the centerboard case logs.
    [IMG]33-ScarfingKeelson-1_zpsbfe7e6ea by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]34-ScarfingKeelson-2_zps5b1fa814 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]35-KeelsonGlue-up_zpsbdcf796a by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    When I was rounding over the inside face of the keelson the depth guide spun off the 1/4 round router bit and I cut into the face of the keelson. Strange, I usually over tighten things!
    [IMG]36-RouterMess_zpscba412e9 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Not having any material to spare a small Dutchman was the solution.
    [IMG]37-RouterMessFixed_zpsb024379b by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    Steamboat

Made a little more progress, ladder frame is completed and leveled. Molds are mounted, true to centerline, centerlines of molds are plumb and molds are square to frame. Still need to brace the molds fore and aft. Some of the ply is bowed so I need to straighten the molds with the braces.
    [IMG]38-LadderFrame_zpsad432abe by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]39-MoldsonFrame1_zps0c35cb6e by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]40-MoldsonFrame-2_zpsdc5398c0 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    The 2X6 between the bearers will need to be removed or cut to accommodate the sheer strake.
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    Steamboat

Started to try and plumb the molds fore and aft but it was impossible due to the bowing of the plywood. Had used cheap Big Box 1/2 ply the had the rigidity of a well boiled lasagna noodle. Had to install some form of strong back on all the molds before they could be made plumb. Proves the "If you go cheap you'll pay more in time and money in the end!"
    [IMG]41-Mold-strongbacks_zpsa7af224a by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once all the molds were as flat as I could make them it made the miss-install of Mold #4 very apparent. Got that squared away and finally plumbed all the molds. They all line up nicely to the midline down the building frame and at the centerline down the keelson and are all parallel/square to the midline.
    [IMG]42-BuildingFramecompleted_zpsf3f47937 by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]

So finally, something that feels like I am starting to build a boat: Stem is mounted to the frame and is plumb. What helps me feel a little more confident is how well the location marks on the stem just lay in the right place on the building frame and molds. I hope things continue this way.
    [IMG]43-StemMounted_zps4194acae by Tom Fulton, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Steamboat; 07-29-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    Steamboat