Thread: heating a boat with candles and flowerpots for 8p a day - and the home office too

Default heating a boat with candles and flowerpots for 8p a day - and the home office too

Introducing the forkandlepothead TM

For the past few years I have been sailing through the winter

I use tealight candles from Ikea at 1p each and put them on a metal plate

I have heard about people using flower pots to make the heat from candles more effective

I was deeply cyncial

how can that work?

however, having been through the coldest October for a decade I thought I would experiment a little

It does seem to keep the room warmer than four candles just burning in the dish

maybe the two pots with the air gap help to move the air around more efficiently

if you notice I have filled the hole on the inner pot

Of course you kill all the light

I will try to do some comparative tests on the boat

in the meantime it allows me to avoid putting the central heating on in the house

the running costs is 8 pence a day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHqBcZqNzE

you can buy a porper job for $30

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/...dle-heater.htm

and during ww2 the Uk govt was promoting the idea as well

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib...6335/large.jpg

and talking of four candles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ

Default Re: heating a boat with candles and flowerpots for 8p a day - and the home office too

Very cool -- I mean warm!

You're breathing the by-products of the burning wax of course, but I wonder if the heat of the inner chamber makes that better in some way...

Dave

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: heating a boat with candles and flowerpots for 8p a day - and the home office too

are they vented? smokestack?CO?

pretty cool, I'll have to give that a try.

whizzbang and Dave,

I am a bit concerned about co2 - but I am not sleeping in there, I come and go all day opening and closing the door, it is an old house and drafty

it is a thatch so I am obviously concerned about fire

I have to say that two flower pots on a boat would be a nightmare

flower pots have a high thermal inertia - but it is not really working that way - I think that two concentric metal cones - cut down metal funnels could would work just as well

then you could have it on the boat -

I think that using one with the bigger air flow than you get from four naked tealights

might stop your feet from freezing

I think that the hot surfaces are moving more air than the hot flame better heat circulation - not so many cold spots

not so many hot ones either

Dylan
    Last edited by dylan winter; 11-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.

you can always get a co2 monitor

It's not CO2, carbon dioxide, it's CO, carbon monoxide that's the worry.

Are we really to worry about the CO produced by a just quartet of tree lights? If so, than every Catholic Church, New Age store, and Witches Coven would have patrons passing out in droves.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I live an old drafty house

I come and go all day from the room

so my guess is that the air change in the room is fairly high

I do not sleep in there

my main concern is setting light to the house

although four tealights in a bread tin shuld be fairly safe I reckon

D

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Are we really to worry about the CO produced by a just quartet of tree lights? If so, than every Catholic Church, New Age store, and Witches Coven would have patrons passing out in droves.

Kevin
    In the small cabin of a boat where air volume is more of a concern, it's not bad to be prudent regarding anything that burns fuel.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

now Dylan

I love an eccentric

but the diction

are you lazy

or are you

a poet

A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble. -- E.B. White

It's not just the CO2, there is a lot of soot emitted by candles. Unless IKEA has come up with a soot-free version you are breathing a lot of soot from a single candle in a small space.

I used to use one of those large-sized ionic air purifiers and over a period of a year or so I learned how much stuff it caught and how often it had to be cleaned. Then one day we had some sort of event here and had a couple candles burning for the atmosphere. They were only burning for a few hours in a very large space--great room, dining room and kitchen, with a 24 foot ceiling over the great room. The next day I pulled the guts of the ionic "filter" and found it 99 percent coated with black soot.

I have never lit another candle in the house except in the rare event of a power failure.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

@ Dylan,

that "Four Candles"(fork handles) gag from the 2 Ronnies is great! but does anyone from outside the UK understand it?

Hoping you will keep on "turning left."

Alan

In the small cabin of a boat where air volume is more of a concern, it's not bad to be prudent regarding anything that burns fuel.
    True that. But he's heating a room in his house.
    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleAgesMan View Post
    It's not just the CO2, there is a lot of soot emitted by candles. Unless IKEA has come up with a soot-free version you are breathing a lot of soot from a single candle in a small space.

I used to use one of those large-sized ionic air purifiers and over a period of a year or so I learned how much stuff it caught and how often it had to be cleaned. Then one day we had some sort of event here and had a couple candles burning for the atmosphere. They were only burning for a few hours in a very large space--great room, dining room and kitchen, with a 24 foot ceiling over the great room. The next day I pulled the guts of the ionic "filter" and found it 99 percent coated with black soot.

I have never lit another candle in the house except in the rare event of a power failure.
    Beeswax tealights. "Pure beeswax candles give off little, if any, smoke as they burn. They don't emit any soot whatsoever." Not sure I fully believe that, but, whatever.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

I use ikea tea lamps with a ikea hurricane leaded glass lamp in my 28' boat. I light it up and hang it. it changes ambient temperature by 15 degrees or more making it toasty in 10 mins, removes the dampness from the air, cushions and sleeping bag. I blow it out before I go to sleep. Relight it in the morning to heat it up and once again remove moisture and dampness of sleeping in a closed boat. In fact I do have another one I use as a cockpit light which serves almost ldoubles as at anchor light.

hard to imagine a cheaper, better, simpler solution for multi purpose light/heater. quaint too. 5 dollars for the lamp and 3 dollars for a carton of 20 tea candles.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man.

Quote Originally Posted by sailoar View Post
    now Dylan

I love an eccentric

but the diction

are you lazy

or are you

a poet

I was a BBC hack for a couple of decades

so it must be the latter

as for the beeswax tea lights

bit too pricey for KTL

D
    Last edited by dylan winter; 11-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.

The inverted plantpot radiates the heat. A red brick will do the same job. You could switch on your stove (cooker), set a
    red brick or two and it is the same effect as a cast iron hot water radiator in a home.
    Make some sort of a "cage" which you can put over the candles and place a brick or two on top, so you'll still have the light.
    The inverted plant pot trick is quite common round these parts.
    basil

Could get yourself one of these: http://www.go2marine.com/product/831...at-heater.html for an arm & a leg. Available in Kerosene, Diesel or Propane.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    The inverted plantpot radiates the heat. A red brick will do the same job. You could switch on your stove (cooker), set a
    red brick or two and it is the same effect as a cast iron hot water radiator in a home.
    Make some sort of a "cage" which you can put over the candles and place a brick or two on top, so you'll still have the light.
    The inverted plant pot trick is quite common round these parts.
    I think that there is something more subtle and sophisticated than just a brick going on here

there is a lot of air flow - more than just from the candles

the two flower pots are acting like a chimney for warmed air

so I think the heat radiation is much less important than convection

Dylan

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Thanks Dylan!!
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Cheap scented candles give off lots of soot. I had one in college, and thought it was cool to study by. It turned the inside of my computer black.

I wonder how a paraffin lantern would compare. That stuff burns clean.

Quote Originally Posted by zertgold View Post
    Cheap scented candles give off lots of soot. I had one in college, and thought it was cool to study by. It turned the inside of my computer black.

I wonder how a paraffin lantern would compare. That stuff burns clean.
    paraffin smells bad to me

I really do not like the smell of the stuff

nor the meths I burn on the stove on the boat

I am worried about filling my lungs with crud

however, the inner pot has been on for about seven sets of candles

no sign of soot in there yet

so maybe it is not that bad

Dylan
    Last edited by dylan winter; 11-08-2012 at 03:37 AM.

I once met a bloke in France who heated his house with rabbits kept in the basement.................... Any space in your bilges?

No rabbits

but lots of hares

from a distance they look like rabbits

did you hear abiout the blad man who pout rabbits on his head

the reason

from a distance they looked like hares

Dylan

When I speak of cheap scented candles, I am referring to the big ones which smell like something you thought you wanted your house to smell like. Stinky candles are a big industry, and the "Chinese drywall" versions soon hit the market with fun flavors like toluene, xylene, and yes even lead. Most of the tea lights I come across burn very clean, and I have had no problems. Although I have heard talk of paraffin being bad because it is petroleum based, but beeswax and soy candles are okay. I guess everything will kill you, that's why no on has lived forever.

Ah, the old flower pot trick. Been around for ages. Guys used to put an upturned flower pot on their kerosene or alcohol galley stove to serve as a heater. It does radiate the heat, but the laws of physics apply. A candle only puts out so many BTU's. The flower pot won't increase the heat output any.

Old houses can easily have 4-5 air changes per hour. But it's prudent to be prudent about CO.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Il colore del cielo, la forza del mare.