Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 106

Thread: Why do liberals lie so much?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,132

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddie View Post
    They get exhausted pulling the wagon while everyone else rides......

    regards,
    Waddie
    Conservatives do seem to pull something, but I don't think it's a wagon.

    Maybe if they all pull together they'll get the happy ending they seem to be looking for...and who knows, maybe Romney will pull it for them....

    Jeff C

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    12,288

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    I have seen Obama lie hundreds of times with my own ears......
    Now there's one for posterity.
    Study Peace

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    9,916

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    This certainly clears things up....


    They simply have a totally different worldview from conservatives so they are operating from a totally different set of assumptions about the world and people than conservatives are.

    Here is the key thing to understand about liberals: they do not believe in evil.
    http://wwwwakeupamericans-spree.blog...l#.UJSgp46hD8s
    A simple statement: liberals do not believe in evil. A lot of words follow, but no definition of "evil". Hard to be convinced when you can't be sure what he's talking about.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    9,916

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Love the title of that blog. The words "wake up America" have a long and storied history in paranoid right-wing letters to the editor.
    Deutschland Erwache ! (Wake up, Germany !)

    I'll give you one guess whether it was left or right wing.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    This refusal to accept that there are evil people even explains why liberals are not only so blind to jihadists but are so antisemitic as well. Liberals see that most Jews have an inborn talent for making money so most of them are "rich". On the other hand, the Palestinians are obviously poor and downtrodden. Hence it is a given that the members of Hamas, Hezbollah and the like cannot be evil merely because they have been brainwashed to accept the teachings of the Koran in the worst possible interpretation. No, they are merely poor and downtrodden because they are oppressed by the rich Jews. Indeed, they have even convinced most Jews that they should feel guilty about being rich and for not giving the Arabs whatever they want. That is why most American Jews are liberals.

    This even extends to a lot of Jews in Israel. There are a lot of leftist Jews in Israel even though most Israelis have found out the hard way that some of those Arabs are very evil, indeed. A lot of people understand that a suicide bomber is the very height of evil but not liberals. Suicide bombers are so determined to destroy their professed enemies that they are will to die if they can take a bunch of their enemies with them. Being willing to die in defense of one's ideals is heroic but being willing to die in an offense against women and children merely because of their religion or ethnicity is just plain evil because it is nothing more than genocide. Most liberals do understand that genocide is a bad thing so help them to make the connection between suicide bombers and genocide so they will understand that not all Palestinians are deserving of their sympathy.
    Take time to read the post... theres certainly some references to what evil is.


    I have seen Obama lie hundreds of times with my own ears......
    Well, both my eyes and ears were working at the same time...

    RodB

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    15,235

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    You forget, I have seen Obama lie hundreds of times with my own ears.... he has been beating the drum so long he doesn't even think about it any more. Lies flow out like Niagra Falls.

    RodB
    Ha! Priceless!!LMAO

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17,648

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Have liberals stopped beating their wives?
    let's hope not

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Remember liberals - affirmative action is NOT institutionalized racism.... Just ask any dem.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17,648

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    why does liberal math show that historically the vast majority of americans have done better under progressive policies than conservative ones.

    From child labor laws, public education, social security, work place regulation, and even economically.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    17,742

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by wardd View Post
    why does liberal math show that historically the vast majority of americans have done better under progressive policies than conservative ones.

    From child labor laws, public education, social security, work place regulation, and even economically.
    Perhaps they are the government of the people for all of the people, not just for the greedy ones.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    16,226

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    So now you resort to personal attacks. I have stated the main reason the emails sent during the Benghazi attack had value... ie., illustrating clearly that the Obama administration deliberately lied about the "video causing the attack"... and still you persist in multiple repeats that one of the emails was not true. Don't you get it...the truth of who was taking credit for the attack or not is not relevant to the deliberate lying by the Obama administration to mitigate political fallout. They knew the story they were spinning was not true but it would hopefully make them look better with such a terrible incident happening in spite of their "wonderful foreign policy efforts".









    RodB
    Read the title of your thread, Rod. If you want people to treat you with courtesy and respect, you might try treating them that way.

    As to the fact that I keep pointing out that the basis for your other thread was not true, have you forgotten the title of that thread?

    Over 300 government folks knew our consulate was being attacked and by whom

    And yet it turns out, the subject of that thread was based on inaccurate information. You now claim that the title of the thread, the subject of it, is irrelevant. Keep squirming, that's the subject of the thread, and it wasn't true, and now you even claim the factual basis for the thread wasn't true doesn't matter.

    As for the cliched piece stereotyping liberals, it's just dumb. Liberals think there is evil, they just don't think you've solved the problem when you label something evil. You seem to think calling something evil is a deep understanding, but it doesn't tell you how to solve the problem. Liberals tend to be pragmatic. They think in terms of solving problems, not in terms of the lovely catharsis you get from calling someone evil and striking out at them, even if striking out only makes the problem worse.

    In my youth, I thought conservatives were hard-eyed realists, at least about foreign policy (on civil rights, some conservatives just came across as evil.) But after watching them embrace an unnecessary war and torture, I see that they are ruled by their emotions, and far too often willing to throw reason and fact-finding over the side, just as you have done by starting a thread claiming 300 government folks "knew" something that wasn't true.

    You want to believe that the other side lies so that you can keep embracing the lies your own side tells. Wouldn't it be better to pay closer attention and not believe lies at all? But to do that, you'd have to take off your blinders.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    19,809

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    The entire premise is stupid and profoundly simple-minded.

    There are indeed huge differences between liberals and conservatives. But they have absolutely nothing to do with the nature of evil.
    Older whiskey, younger wimmin and ice cream.


  13. #63

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    This thread scares me a little. I live in a country where even our conservatives are considerably more liberal than your liberals. So, that means I live in a country populated by liberals... over 30 million of them. The lying part is pretty obvious, I mean, our conservatives are liberals compared to your liberals, so they aren't conservatives at all, they're liberals lying about being conservative. Now I don't trust anyone. Nancy brought me sirloin tip roast for dinner, but it might be cat!! Wow, this place is a real eye opener. Thank god for the internet.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    47,633

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Malcolm Jardine View Post
    This thread scares me a little. I live in a country where even our conservatives are considerably more liberal than your liberals. So, that means I live in a country populated by liberals... over 30 million of them. The lying part is pretty obvious, I mean, our conservatives are liberals compared to your liberals, so they aren't conservatives at all, they're liberals lying about being conservative. Now I don't trust anyone. Nancy brought me sirloin tip roast for dinner, but it might be cat!! Wow, this place is a real eye opener. Thank god for the internet.
    Excellent Peter !
    Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,121

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    The Ultimate Romney Flip Flop Collection!!! Get it now!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x2W4...&feature=share
    "Don't listen to those eastern blockheads." famous Seattle small boat designer and builder.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17,648

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    The Ultimate Romney Flip Flop Collection!!! Get it now!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x2W4...&feature=share
    is mitt a liberal?

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,805

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Sometimes liberals tell the truth..........





    regards,
    Waddie

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,121

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by wardd View Post
    is mitt a liberal?
    No. Mitt is a severe conservative....No wait!! Mitt is a middle of the road...wants to work with everybody kind of guy. Yeh, that's the ticket!
    "Don't listen to those eastern blockheads." famous Seattle small boat designer and builder.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Read the title of your thread, Rod. If you want people to treat you with courtesy and respect, you might try treating them that way.

    As to the fact that I keep pointing out that the basis for your other thread was not true, have you forgotten the title of that thread?

    Over 300 government folks knew our consulate was being attacked and by whom

    And yet it turns out, the subject of that thread was based on inaccurate information. You now claim that the title of the thread, the subject of it, is irrelevant. Keep squirming, that's the subject of the thread, and it wasn't true, and now you even claim the factual basis for the thread wasn't true doesn't matter.

    As for the cliched piece stereotyping liberals, it's just dumb. Liberals think there is evil, they just don't think you've solved the problem when you label something evil. You seem to think calling something evil is a deep understanding, but it doesn't tell you how to solve the problem. Liberals tend to be pragmatic. They think in terms of solving problems, not in terms of the lovely catharsis you get from calling someone evil and striking out at them, even if striking out only makes the problem worse.

    In my youth, I thought conservatives were hard-eyed realists, at least about foreign policy (on civil rights, some conservatives just came across as evil.) But after watching them embrace an unnecessary war and torture, I see that they are ruled by their emotions, and far too often willing to throw reason and fact-finding over the side, just as you have done by starting a thread claiming 300 government folks "knew" something that wasn't true.

    You want to believe that the other side lies so that you can keep embracing the lies your own side tells. Wouldn't it be better to pay closer attention and not believe lies at all? But to do that, you'd have to take off your blinders.
    Your mind is like a steel trap... unable to get the jaws loose. Obama lied about the cause of the attacks to hopefully minimize any negative political fallout... and you can't stand it that he was busted .... Your man directed his "team" to lie to the world and both he and Hillary lied to the familys of those who died. This is despicable behavior no matter how much you dig in the weeds for parts of emails that were true or not... The emails simply illustrated Obama and his team knew plenty early on... and were lying and that is a fact. No matter how many times you try to totally negate the Benghazi incident as a problem for the President... it will continue to cause a negative effect until he comes clean and shows a little transparency. Do you think he will ever admit they lied and it was a stupid lie and that there was no real reason to even lie... except for poor judgment by Obama and his administration ... and their panic with the upcoming electon????

    Good night.

    RodB

  20. #70
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North West Arkansas
    Posts
    56,403

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    KNOCK OFF THE FUNKEY COLORS, please... they're hard on my eyes
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    13,582

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    RodB sure has a point of view, doesn't he? Migod...


    LOL.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

    Il colore del cielo, la forza del mare.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    19,319

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    RodB sure has a point of view, doesn't he? Migod...


    LOL.
    There's a reason I have him on ignore.

    He often has accurate and germane things to say abovedecks, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    I keep finding these great sources of information on understanding liberals... which I am trying to do as Obama may be President for another 4 years. The following sheds a little light... I'm really beginning to catch on to how liberals think... its a real education because I'd have never figured out how their minds work.

    Hey Glen... are you there?


    http://townhall.com/columnists/johnh...ding_the_world

    To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil. — Charles Krauthammer

    Even liberals who've accomplished a lot in their lives and have high IQs often say things on a regular basis that are stunningly, profoundly stupid and at odds with the way the world works. Modern liberalism has become so bereft of common sense and instinctually suicidal that America can only survive over the long haul by thwarting the liberal agenda. In fact, liberalism has become such a toxic and poisonous philosophy that most liberals wouldn't behave differently if their goal were to deliberately destroy the country. So, how does liberalism cause well-meaning, intelligent liberals to get this way? Well, it starts with...
    1) Liberalism creates a feedback loop. It is usually impossible for a non-liberal to change a liberal's mind about political issues because liberalism works like so: only liberals are credible sources of information. How do you know someone's liberal? He espouses liberal doctrine. So, no matter how plausible what you say may be, it will be ignored if you're not a liberal and if you are a liberal, of course, you probably agree with liberal views. This sort of close-mindedness makes liberals nearly impervious to any information that might undermine their beliefs.
    2) Liberals sources of information are ever present. Conservatives are regularly exposed to the liberal viewpoint whether they want to be or not. That's not necessarily so for liberals. Imagine the average day for liberals. They get up and read their local newspaper. It has a liberal viewpoint. They take their kids to school, where the teachers are liberal. Then they go to work, listen to NPR which has a liberal viewpoint on the way home, and then turn on the nightly news which also skews leftward. From there, they turn on TV and watch shows created by liberals that lean to the left, if they have any political viewpoint at all. Unless liberals actively seek out conservative viewpoints, which is unlikely, the only conservative arguments they're probably going to hear are going to be through the heavily distorted, poorly translated, deeply skeptical lens of other liberals.

    3) Liberals emphasize feeling superior, not superior results. Liberalism is all about appearances, not outcomes. What matters to liberals is how a program makes them FEEL about themselves, not whether it works or not. Thus a program like Headstart, which sounds good because it's designed to help children read, makes liberals feel good about themselves, even though the program doesn't work and wastes billions. A ban on DDT makes liberals feel good about themselves because they're "protecting the environment" even though millions of people have died as a result. For liberals, it's not what a program does in the real world; it's about whether they feel better about themselves for supporting it.
    4) Liberals are big believers in moral relativism. This spins them round and round because if the only thing that's wrong is saying that there's an absolute moral code, then you lose your ability to tell cause from effect, good from bad, and right from wrong. Taking being non-judgmental to the level that liberals do leaves them paralyzed, pondering "why they hate us" because they feel incapable of saying, “That's wrong," and doing something about it. If you're against firm standards and condemning immoral behavior, then your moral compass won’t work and you’ll also be for immorality, as well as societal and cultural decay by default.
    5) Liberals tend to view people as parts of groups, not individuals. One of the prejudices of liberalism is that they see everyone as part of a group, not as an individual. This can lead to rather bizarre disparities when say, a man from a group that they consider to be powerless, impoverished victims becomes the leader of the free world -- and he's challenged by a group of lower middle class white people who've banded together because individually they're powerless. If you listen to the liberal rhetoric, you might think Barack Obama was a black Republican being surrounded by a KKK lynching party 100 years ago -- as opposed to the single most powerful man in America abusing the authority of his office to attack ordinary Tea Partiers who have the audacity to speak the truth to power for the good of their country.
    6) Liberals take a dim view of personal responsibility. Who's at fault if a criminal commits a crime? The criminal or society? If someone creates a business and becomes a millionaire, is that the result of hard work and talent or luck? If you're dirt poor, starving, and haven't worked in 5 years, is that a personal failing or a failure of the state? Conservatives would tend to say the former in each case, while liberals would tend to say the latter. But when you disconnect what an individual does from the results that happen in his life, it's very difficult to understand cause and effect in people's lives.
    7) Liberals give themselves far too much credit just for being liberal. To many liberals, all one needs to do to be wise, intelligent, compassionate, open minded, and sensitive is to BE LIBERAL. In other words, many of the good things about a person spring not from his actions, but from the ideology he holds. This has an obvious appeal. You can be a diehard misogynist, but plausibly call yourself a feminist, hate blacks, but accuse others of racism, have a subpar IQ and be an intellectual, give nothing to charity and be compassionate, etc., etc., and all you have to do is call yourself a liberal. It's a shortcut to virtue much like the corrupt old idea of religious indulgences. Why live a life of virtue when you could live a sinful life and buy your way into heaven? If you're a liberal, why actually live a life of virtue when you can merely call yourself a liberal and get credit for being virtuous, even when you've done nothing to earn it?


    Well, I've learned all I want to know about this subject... hopefully the election will turn out well for the country and I won't have to even think about understanding a liberal after next tuesday... just focus on an improving economy and a better future for all.

    RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 11-04-2012 at 01:46 AM.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    17,742

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Rod,
    The wonder of the internet is that it allows any body to post anything.

    The real danger of the internet is that it allows anybody to post anything.

    News papers, and I am sad to observe, American news channels make their livings by publishing what they know their readers want to read.

    Conclusion, there is a shed load of misinformation, disinformation and down right lies out there for you to wade through in search of a nugget of truth.

    Is your mind truly open to having your dogmas challenged?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    39,337

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post




    Well, I've learned all I want to know about this subject... hopefully the election will turn out well for the country and I won't have to even think about understanding a liberal

    RodB
    This is precious

  26. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    15,235

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    "Hey Glen... are you out there?"

    You know I am, Rod!
    I wouldn't miss your display of blatant Troglodyterie for anything!

  27. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    6,798

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    The truth is out there Rob but it's certainly not the crap you're reading. Liberals lie, fact. I personally don't have blinders on about the side I tend to stand on, how's about you? Catch any conservatives lin a lie? Do tell, you certainly have a flare for ferreting out those darn fibers, or are you just digging a hole like a fine little rodent? I think so.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

    ~seanz

  28. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bright's Grove, ON, Canada
    Posts
    8,138

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Why do the Liberals lie so much?

    Because they are trying to keep up with the conservatives (and failing miserably). How can you compete with: the Jeep lie, the 'birther' lie
    Allan of the Grove - S/V Laura Ellen, 1937 Gaff Schooner
    http://aylard.ca http://bluenosejr.com
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

  29. #79

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    Well, I've learned all I want to know about this subject... hopefully the election will turn out well for the country and I won't have to even think about understanding a liberal after next tuesday... just focus on an improving economy and a better future for all.

    RodB
    This is one of the most accurate things you have ever posted. You don't want to look at liberalism, so you don't. That's your privilege. Just don't pretend you're informed or educated on the subject, when clearly, you don't 'want' to be educated.

    For what's it's worth, most countries you associate with democracy are far more 'liberal' than the United States. They have better education systems, better health care, and a host of other benefits based on their 'liberal' policies.

  30. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    19,809

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Malcolm Jardine
    For what's it's worth, most countries you associate with democracy are far more 'liberal' than the United States. They have better education systems, better health care, and a host of other benefits based on their 'liberal' policies.
    And spend FAR LESS on the military and the prosecution war and nation building.

    No coincidence, IMHO.
    Older whiskey, younger wimmin and ice cream.


  31. #81

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Oh stop it Tom, you're filling Rod's mind with lying liberal propaganda again.

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    16,226

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    Your mind is like a steel trap... unable to get the jaws loose. Obama lied about the cause of the attacks to hopefully minimize any negative political fallout... and you can't stand it that he was busted .... Your man directed his "team" to lie to the world and both he and Hillary lied to the familys of those who died. This is despicable behavior no matter how much you dig in the weeds for parts of emails that were true or not... The emails simply illustrated Obama and his team knew plenty early on... and were lying and that is a fact. No matter how many times you try to totally negate the Benghazi incident as a problem for the President... it will continue to cause a negative effect until he comes clean and shows a little transparency. Do you think he will ever admit they lied and it was a stupid lie and that there was no real reason to even lie... except for poor judgment by Obama and his administration ... and their panic with the upcoming electon????

    Good night.

    RodB
    A series of assertions with no actual facts, just opinions you assert are facts. Pitiful. You're making no progress at all.

  33. #83
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    16,226

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil. — Charles Krauthammer
    Hey, you said the problem with liberals is that they don't believe in evil. Get your story straight.

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    19,809

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw
    Get your story straight.
    You are kidding... right?
    Older whiskey, younger wimmin and ice cream.


  35. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meerlo, Holland
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Rod, I thought I had seen the worst dredges of the internet, but you keep finding new lows. I would say that a personal attack on your ideas could be warranted, since you attack personally, and poorly, you quote out of context, or from people who are very biased (look at the domain name of your OP), only believe that there is truth in quotes you choose, and none in quotes others choose. You refuse evidence that refutes your points, and only when you can't dodge it anymore drop original "evidence" without even thinking to mellow your views. You have a very bad case of conformation bias.

    You first state (by proxy) that liberals wish to inflict the tyrrany of liberalism (which is odd) onto you, and then that they don't know what that is.

    There are a lot of things wrong with the democrat party, but it is mainly because they have shifted far too much to the right.
    If at first you fail, you need to expand your sample size.

  36. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lock 7 Erie Canal
    Posts
    2,061

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    why we lie...


  37. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    I try to get information on most issues from varying sources... its just most of the mainstream press all sound alike and to me the bias is extreme... . The internet offers much more but its difficult to know when apparent facts are facts???

    BTW, I made the remark about ... if Romney won , after Tuesday I would not have to bother trying to understand liberals any more... as a smart ass comment... but its not the truth. This country needs to learn to meet somewhere in the middle if we expect to solve any of our problems. The following links and quotes partially explain this chasm of poor communication....


    Interesting reasons we have a difficult time understanding each other... but the problem is ... you guys just don't understand me!


    http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Conser...-Conservatives
    Conservatives Understand Liberals. Liberals Don't Understand Conservatives.
    Diane Ellis, Ed. March 22, 2012 at 12:18pm
    As a conservative living in San Francisco, I often struggle with a sense of alienation because while I know and understand the liberal mindset of my neighbors, acquaintances and friends, I don't perceive them to understand how I think or to care why I hold the beliefs I do. I often encounter gross stereotypes of conservatives — we're xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic, judgmental racist bigots who want the rich to get richer and the sick and poor to go ahead and die already to reduce the surplus population. And that's not even taking our foreign policy positions into consideration! That one could actually believe all those ugly things about a fellow American who votes for someone like John McCain instead of Barack Obama is mind boggling.

    It turns out my perception of how liberals view conservatives isn't too far off the mark. In his NYT op-ed today, Nicholas Kristof writes that conservatives seem to understand liberals far better than liberals understand conservatives.

    One academic study asked 2,000 Americans to fill out questionnaires about moral questions. In some cases, they were asked to fill them out as they thought a “typical liberal” or a “typical conservative” would respond.

    Moderates and conservatives were adept at guessing how liberals would answer questions. Liberals, especially those who described themselves as “very liberal,” were least able to put themselves in the minds of their adversaries and guess how conservatives would answer.

    The 2009 UVA study linked above explains its findings by positing that liberals form their basis of morality by considering three values: caring for the weak, fairness, and liberty. Conservatives, on the other hand, have a much more complex system of morality. In addition to caring about all of the things liberals do—while of course understanding fairness and liberty in very different ways—conservatives factor in loyalty, respect for authority, and sanctity into their conception of morality. It's these added dimensions that seem to baffle the Left. From the study:

    Liberals see conservatives as being motivated by an opposition to liberals’ core values of compassion and fairness, as well as being motivated by their own (non-moral) values of ingroup loyalty, respect for authorities and traditions, and spiritual purity. For instance,
    when conservatives express binding-foundation moral concerns about gay marriage—e.g., that it subverts traditional gender roles and family structures—liberals may have difficulty perceiving any moral value in such traditional arrangements and therefore conclude that conservatives are motivated by simple homophobia, untempered by concerns about fairness, equality, and rights.

    This misperception is asymmetrical: conservatives did underestimate liberal moral concerns with the binding foundations, but they were no more likely to underestimate than liberals themselves.

    Fascinating findings. But what are we to do with this information?


    You know I am, Rod!
    I wouldn't miss your display of blatant Troglodyterie for anything
    Glen, Its good if I can entertain you while at the same time educating you.../



    Rod, I thought I had seen the worst dredges of the internet, but you keep finding new lows. I would say that a personal attack on your ideas could be warranted, since you attack personally, and poorly, you quote out of context, or from people who are very biased (look at the domain name of your OP), only believe that there is truth in quotes you choose, and none in quotes others choose. You refuse evidence that refutes your points, and only when you can't dodge it anymore drop original "evidence" without even thinking to mellow your views. You have a very bad case of conformation bias.

    You first state (by proxy) that liberals wish to inflict the tyrrany of liberalism (which is odd) onto you, and then that they don't know what that is.

    There are a lot of things wrong with the democrat party, but it is mainly because they have shifted far too much to the right.

    The sad thing here is that you double down on the extreme views of the liberals... and say they are not progressive enough??? My posts above are at least as credible as the sources posted by liberals here. Why do you guys get to pick and choose the sites that pass the "fair and balanced" scale? Inflicting the tyrrany of liberalism is not the same thing and the comments that the author says "liberals do not recognize evil" or something like that. Why don't you work on your reading comprehension.


    R
    Last edited by RodB; 11-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    http://hotair.com/archives/2012/04/1...ive-positions/

    Confirmed: Conservatives understand liberal positions better than liberals understand conservative positions
    posted at 1:21 pm on April 13, 2012 by Tina Korbe

    At The American, AEI resident scholar Andrew Biggs highlights an interesting study that confirms what most conservatives probably already know to be true of themselves: We understand why our liberal friends think what they think more than they understand why we think what we think.

    [University of Virginia professor Jonathan] Haidt’s research asks individuals to answer questionnaires regarding their core moral beliefs—what sorts of values they consider sacred, which they would compromise on, and how much it would take to get them to make those compromises. By themselves, these exercises are interesting. (Try them online and see where you come out.)

    But Haidt’s research went one step further, asking self-indentified conservatives to answer those questionnaires as if they were liberals and for liberals to do the opposite. What Haidt found is that conservatives understand liberals’ moral values better than liberals understand where conservatives are coming from. Worse yet, liberals don’t know what they don’t know; they don’t understand how limited their knowledge of conservative values is. If anyone is close-minded here it’s not conservatives.
    Haidt has one theory to explain his results, while Biggs has another. Haidt says conservatives speak a broader and more encompassing language of six moral values, while liberals focus on a narrow subset of those values. Biggs says conservatives understand liberal positions because they’re inundated with them — by the media, by academia, even to a certain extent by the culture.

    Haidt and Biggs both have a point. It takes just about a year of actively debating politics or witnessing the debate of politics to realize that (a) the two parties to the debate don’t speak the same language and (b) the liberal party will have few opportunities to learn the conservative’s language. It’s not only that we don’t use the same words, it’s that we also assign completely different meanings to the same words.

    The president’s prattling about the Buffett Rule is a perfect example. He repeatedly uses the word “fair” when he discusses this rule that would require anyone who earns more than $1 million a year to pay at least 30 percent in taxes. The Buffett Rule is actually officially named “The Paying a Fair Share Act.”

    Conservatives have been quick to cede the word “fair” to the president. Instead of debating whether The Buffett Rule actually is fair, we’ve focused on the idea that economic growth and entitlement reform are the keys to deficit reduction. We know that our definition of “fair” is different than liberals’ definition of “fair,” so we’re never going to be able to convince liberals that the Buffett Rule actually is unfair. In a world dominated by liberal influences in the media, academy and culture, we have no choice but focus on the fact that The Buffett Rule would do very little to reduce the deficit.

    If liberals understood the conservative definition of “fair,” they might better understand how it’s possible to oppose the Buffett Rule. As the debate stands at this moment, it’s conceivable that the average liberal thinks conservatives actually oppose a rule we think is fair just because we don’t think it will adequately reduce the deficit. But why would anybody oppose a fair rule? In fact, we oppose the Buffett Rule because, by our definition, it is unfair — not to mention that it does very little to reduce the deficit. (As an aside, I’ve been searching for an article in which a conservative argues explicitly that the Buffett Rule is unfair and am finding it surprisingly hard to find. Has anybody read a good one?)

    The word “just” is defined as “based on right.” Our concept of what is fair starts with our concept of what is a right. Whereas progressives think that rights are given by the government, conservatives think that “we are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights.” Among our God-given rights is the right to keep the fruits of our labor. So far, I have never heard a good argument that we have a right or a claim to the fruits of others’ labor unless they have promised them to us for some reason. We certainly never have an intrinsic a priori claim on the fruits of someone else’s labor.

    As long as he is allowed to keep what he has earned, the conservative thinks he has been treated fairly — even if others have more than he has. The liberal has a completely different definition of fairness. Liberals seem to think we have a right to the same fruits no matter what our labor.

    It is true that different kinds and quantities of work yield different kinds and quantities of fruits. That is sometimes hard to take — but if, in the end, we receive the fruits we agreed to when we selected our labor, then the fruits we receive are fair. (For example, if we agree to a particular day’s wages and we receive that day’s wages, then we have been treated fairly. Nobody changed the deal to which we agreed.) In making the choice to be a secretary and not a hedge fund manager, for example, the secretary forgoes some of the fruits of the hedge fund manager — but obtains some fruits the hedge fund manager never tastes, say the fruit of more time to spend with family or the fruit of less stress. If we are not content with the fruits of our labor, perhaps we ought first to consider changing our labor, rather than demand we be given different fruits.

    One last thought: Conservatives clearly have a more expansive view of what constitutes “fruits.” We do not measure success and fairness solely by money. In the example above, I recognize the worth of time off and less pressure — two intangibles. For all that liberals like to talk about conservative greed, it’s interesting that conservatives can content themselves with less money in exchange for other benefits whereas liberals seem blind to those benefits and just want the money.

    Another similar link: http://www.american.com/archive/2012...y-close-minded

    Seems like a few folks have genuinely considered the "lack of communication" between Liberals s and Conservatives


    RodB
    Last edited by RodB; 11-05-2012 at 04:31 PM.

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil. — Charles Krauthammer
    Hey, you said the problem with liberals is that they don't believe in evil. Get your story straight.
    The author of the essay above said Liberals did not believe in evil in a general sense... but it seems the very wise Charles Krautheimer points out... that what they do see as "evil" is conservatives... as they must demonize those who point out reality and facts that totally discombobulate their world view.

    RodB

  40. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17,648

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    The author of the essay above said Liberals did not believe in evil in a general sense... but it seems the very wise Charles Krautheimer points out... that what they do see as "evil" is conservatives... as they must demonize those who point out reality and facts that totally discombobulate their world view.

    RodB
    you're not so wise if you think he is wise

    no wonder you think the koolaid is good for you

  41. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'tween maine & arizona.. usually
    Posts
    4,298

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    >AEI resident scholar Andrew Biggs

    That says it all..

    RodB, I am sorry to have to inform you that you are less than clueless. Were I to 'play' Freud, I'd say (in my best fake Austrian physician voice) "Most exemplary case of confirmation bias I have ever seen" - picture Groucho tapping a cigar. Sorry, but it's true.. Most of the 'facts' you post are so false that the mere act of refuting them would improve their stature.

    Either that, or you are far and away the best 'devils advocate' there has ever been.. Not likely, eh?

    enjoy
    bobby

  42. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    16,226

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    the problem is ... you guys just don't understand me!
    No, the problem is that we do.

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    16,226

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    The author of the essay above said Liberals did not believe in evil in a general sense... but it seems the very wise Charles Krautheimer points out... that what they do see as "evil" is conservatives... as they must demonize those who point out reality and facts that totally discombobulate their world view.

    RodB
    Well, you just disproved the study you quoted in post #88. You have no idea what (many) things liberals consider evil. And you think someone who says things you want to hear is very wise.

    That's not very wise.

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    19,319

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    No, the problem is that we do.
    Just so.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  45. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Just a buch of personal attacks... Whats important is that I understand how misguided you guys are... BTW... posting essays that try to explain the vast chasm of disconnect between liberals and conservatives is not necessarily a bad thing. . . is it?

    You all have a nice election day...

    RodB

  46. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17,648

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Quote Originally Posted by RodB View Post
    Just a buch of personal attacks... Whats important is that I understand how misguided you guys are... BTW... posting essays that try to explain the vast chasm of disconnect between liberals and conservatives is not necessarily a bad thing. . . is it?

    You all have a nice election day...

    RodB
    it will be after obama wins

  47. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Dallas and points north
    Posts
    6,914

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    We will see....

    R

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'tween maine & arizona.. usually
    Posts
    4,298

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    >posting essays that try to explain the vast chasm of disconnect between liberals and conservatives is not necessarily a bad thing. . . is it?

    you are claiming your posts are attempts to 'explain'.. while what your posts actually are is projections of conservative faults.

    To explain the vast chasm, one would have to acknowledge the complete irrationality of the conservative view - & I don't see any of that in your ramblings.

    enjoy
    bobby

  49. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    3,199

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    To understand the workings of American politics, you have to understand this fundamental law: Conservatives think liberals are stupid. Liberals think conservatives are evil. — Charles Krauthammer

    I wouldn't entirely disagree with that statement although like all such statements it is an oversimplification of a very complex issue. I would add that conservatives think liberals are also lazy, anti-American, anti-Christian, tree-huggers incapable of thinking for themselves and want the government to take care of them while liberals think that conservatives are fanatically religious, racist, fascist, earth-raping war-mongers who don't care about anyone or anything except for their own social class and their personal wealth. When attacking their opponents or things with which they don't agree, Conservatives are less creative but more direct than liberals who employ sarcasm and humor instead of direct insult.

    I'm sure other can add to the list and all of it is true to varying degrees. But i think what matters the most is the way liberasl and conservatives view the world and not so much how they view each other. To me, conservatives view the world in black and white absolutes while liberals see things in shades of gray relative terms.

    The words "right" and "wrong" often have different meanings to Conservatives and Liberals.

    Ideally, instead of going on and on about what's wrong with the other side, each side would be spending time and effort to understand the other side's POV and how they approach problems in order to find ways to work productively and cooperatively together. But "cooperation" is a dirty word these days and it's MUCGH easier to sit back in your own personal bunkers and throw Sh....t at your oppnents that to actually do the hard work of trying to work with the opposition
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

  50. #100
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Missouri
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: Why do liberals lie so much?

    Why can't we identify the agendas of the two parties more clearly as to what they have become?

    If I wear a pink oxford shirt does that make me a liberal? If I wear a black suit am I conservative?

    What are you if you wear a pink oxford with a black suit?

    I see socialists and facists, in political terms moreover, not liberals and conservatives.


    When I wear a dark blue suit and white shirt, I don't believe just because I might be able to hire someone under a minimum wage pay level that it is the moral thing to do. A conservative should have the belief to pay an honest wage for an honest days work if we consider a religious conservative point of view. So, I can't see abolishing the minimum wage allowing for the opportunity for some to profit more from the work of others, as conservative religious thinking. Forcing workers to bid at the lowest dollar for work is facist thinking. Then, if I wear a yellow oxford and rainbow suit and I'm required to pay my worker more than I can make, I wouldn't call myself liberal, I'd say it was a socialist view. They are not the same thing. I have seen liberals make money and conservatives be generous to the poor. You may be a liberal facist or conservative socialist. Any assessment of good and evil is misplaced association between a facist and a socialist.

    My issue is when anyone clouds their civic duty in this country with their personal religious beliefs. That was the main reason for the revolution, the division of church and state. Religion, organized religion, has pretty much the same foundation for religious leaders and goals as political leaders and government, power and money. So, what you do in your bedroom may result in your social conservative or liberal views, there is an underlying sacrament of free people in a democratic government not to be ruled by religious beliefs in this country.

    The way most everyone speaks of politics, saying that the liberals or conservatives are evil is totally misplaced implying a religious mind set as to what evil is. Good vs, evil, Hitler was defined as evil, he was not a true socilist but facist, for an elite rule not a society where people were seen as being equal or provided for. Hitler was nuts as well, were his evil deeds were rooted, but he was a facist as a goverment leader.

    So,if you must break Americans down to political views I'd suggest speaking of Obama as being more socialist in terms of allowing for the minimum care of all citizens and Romney as the facist who supports a ruling class. You can determine what might be best for you given your perosnal socio-economic standing and the reality of it being changed by your single efforts. I suggest buying lottery tickets and then acting wisely if you think you're in for a real change in your financial well being. If you don't have it now, your chances are getting slim if you accept a facist approach.


    And, be well aware the facist agenda includes playing the race card, just as Hitler did with the Jews!
    Last edited by Wavewacker; 11-06-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: thought

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •