Page 1 of 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sjogin news

Default Sjogin news

As some of you might know from the Bilge thread or Facebook Russ's Sjogin was sunk by Hurricane Sandy. Hopefully she went down early, that would have spared her some thrashing about. She is at Beaton's Boatyard shown in this pic just the other side of the Mantoloking Bridge on the left:

I was afraid she was involved in something like this, also in Mantoloking:

Here's another view of the bridge:

There have been offers to help but I think it might be a little too soon. I'm not sure if the marina is even letting boat owners into the yard. It just isn't safe yet. Who knows when power will be restored.

Here's a shot of her from happier times:

And a link to some other Forum threads:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?109273

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?115952

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?122495

Hopefully I'll have another chance to sit down in her cabin sipping tea (with rum) admiring this view:

Fortunately Russ and Julia are safe and their house is intact, though waterlogged.

Steven

Default Re: Sjogin news

Thank you, Steven. I was really hoping she was tucked away safe and sound somewhere. Gosh. Well, thank God Russ and Julia are safe, and we can all hope for the best for the perfect little boat. If she can be landed again she can be fixed. I pray that's the case.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Very sad news, Sjogin is one of the WBF's icons.

Very sorry . . .
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Very sad news indeed. Hopefully she's just wet and not damaged significantly. Would be nice if there was some way for us to help out those who have need.

Then again, don't forget the Red Cross and others who are looking out for our friends and neighbors.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Best wishes for her safe recovery, hopefully with nought more than a few battle scars she can wear with pride
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Thank you, Steven. I was really hoping she was tucked away safe and sound somewhere. Gosh. Well, thank God Russ and Julia are safe, and we can all hope for the best for the perfect little boat. If she can be landed again she can be fixed. I pray that's the case.

Mickey Lake
    They seem to be fine. Last report I saw was that they were a bit cold, a bit damp, and a bit tired. Hopefully, it will be more a matter of lifting and cleaning, though I doubt she escaped entirely unscathed. Such a lovely boat. It'd be a crying shame if she was totaled.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Sad news indeed.......hoping to hear a good outcome eventually.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Very sad news. We'll hope for the best.

Boy, that is such a drag. Hope fully they can recover her and restore her to glory.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Thanks for the update and the photos. My heart goes to Russ & Julia and all of our Forum friends impacted by Sandy.

-M

Very sad news. Unfortunately that area took a bad hit as you can see the ocean breach. I am from Pt. Pleasant, all my family is there, safe and sound thank God.

If she can be raised, she may have fared better than if she had been on the hard. Hundreds, if not more, boats that were on blocks simply floated off them with the surge, usually leaving them in a pile, on the street, or in some other unbelievable place.

I hope she can be saved. Getting equipment to do so may be a long wait..... so sad.

Wayne

OMFG horible news. I'm heartbroken. What horrendous photos of the devastation, I can't imagine the heartbreak. I'll text Russ and see if he needs a hand I'm off today and can drive down. Never was a finer, perfect little boat loved and cared for more than Sjogin
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I would imagine that sinking alone would not cause Sjogin serious damage. There's no motor or electrics aboard to suffer from salt water. Hopefully she avoided a pile-up or collision with floating debris.

I'm hoping for the best here, she's a lovely boat. I'm so glad Russ and Julia came through alright. The devastation of the Jersey shore, Staten Island and the south shore of Long Island was terrific.

Harm or loss of one's boat is like it occuring to a flesh and blood family or friend. I truly hope she can be raised, repaired and enjoy a new life.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Brooke and I are also ready to be there as soon as we get word that we can be useful.

Russ and Julie, having faced storm loss myself, I know what you're facing. While holding out hope that Sjogin simply went down in place but was not pulverized, I also know that if she's lost you will let another wonderful boat into your hearts.

I hope she's easily recoverable and in in reasonable shape.

But it would seem that the WBF may have gotten off quite lightly, so to speak, from such a devastating and wide spread storm....???

Only two boats sunk, (that I've heard of anyway...any more that I've missed) and everyone safe??

I'd say that's a pretty good outcome considering the number of members here.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Glad that Russ & Julie are OK, also glad that whatever happens to Sjogin, they have her lines and can rebuild if they have too.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I read WBF daily and comment infrequently. But I've followed her threads with great interest and this breaks my heart. Best wishes Russ, family and the beautiful SJOGIN.

Wishing the best for Sjogin and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Yikes! Heartbreaking!

I'm very much hoping she wasn't damaged beyond repair.

I am hoping for speedy recovery for Sjogin, Russ and his spouse, Tom Beaton and all those impacted in and about Bayhead and the Metedeconk.
    I expect next week to pitch in for some friends a bit further south....
    We are from New Jersey...we bounce back!!!!!

Best, David
    Live and let live

If anyone is planning to make a drive there to assist, make sure you plenty of gas, since you will not be able to get gas anywhere near there. No power = no gas pumps.

I've got a full tank and fully offered. Russ has told me not even he can get down to Beatons yet to asses the damage yet.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Such horrifying pictures to contemplate the power that did all of that. With luck and hope that pretty boat will sail again along with countless others foundered by this horrible storm. The main thing at this point is that her owners survive.

It is still hard to register that a new inlet has been cut at the base of the bridge.........

Damn.... just got a pm from Steve about this... wow. So sad... Such a gem of a sailboat. Thanks Steve for the notice. I await some good news... Glad Russ and his wife are ok...

RodB

Thanks for passing on the news Steven. Just heartbreaking about Sjogin; however, glad to hear Russ and family came through OK. I'll keep my finger crossed for Sjogin.

I always enjoyed reading about Russ and his enjoyment of a beautiful boat.I hope the boat can be put back to the condition that allows Russ and Julia to relay more tales to us.More importantly,I am glad that Russ and Julia came through the storm safely.

Heck of a way to get a sticky, but thanks Scot.

lets hope the we will see a return to posts that start "sailing as slowly as I can" soon.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Best Wishes and awaiting good news too. Good Luck.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sorry to hear about Russ and Julia's losses, both their house and Sjogin will take a lot of effort to be put together back again...

Kaa

How'd you make out Kaa? I know you are in NJ, too. I didn't get the idea you were down by the shore but I guess I really don't know where you are.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    How'd you make out Kaa?
    I'm fine. A tree went down in the backyard, but it hung on another tree and the whole contraption is reasonable stable at the moment. I have no power (and it's not expected to be fixed for the next week or so), but that's about the extent of my troubles. Sandy wasn't nasty to me.

Kaa