Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a trawler cabin

Default Re: Ideas for a trawler cabin

How about this one?
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

That's one stout looking critter,Ron! Any other info. about her? I see she has a maple leaf on her stern.A boat from your neck of the woods?

Out of napkins already? Better not spill a drop then!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Some good news today. We were told the hull was oregon (douglas fir) but when I looked at the water-blasted sections yesterday I had my doubts. A friend who restores wooden boats for a living in Sydney had a look at it today and declared that it's kauri. Great! He also reckons that the worm damage isn't too bad and that they're gone anyway. He's recommending a sheathing approach to the restoration, similar to the Vaitses method. He's been using it a lot lately and finds it very successful. I'll post the details when he sends them up. I was very surprised to hear his recommendation as he's a real traditionalist - largely responsible for resurrecting Sydney's wooden 18' skiff fleet. Anyway, he's quickly become a fan of the little trawler - he reckons it's a real find and well worth doing up.

Thanks Ron, I like those too!

Rick

That's encouraging news Rick. Though I'd have been less surprised about sheathing if it was oregon than kauri. Did he suggest NZ kauri or Qld kauri ? (but then how the hell do you tell???) and did he say why he thought sheathing the best option?

Personally I don't see a problem with doing it, other than the potential to put a future buyer off because of the mistrust of what may lie underneath it. That may be alleviated by documenting the process and keeping a builders report and photos with the boats records, essentially showing that all timber under the glass is sound prior to glassing and that the glass isn't just covering up a whole lot of rot as a last ditch attempt to prolong the life of a hull.

I've seen a couple done recently on oregon hulls at home and some that had been done many years ago by the original builder (Wrights in Bris), all to good effect. But I've also seen quite a few that have just continued to rot under the glass so I tend to be a bit distrusting as soon as I see one like that.

Either way, it sounds like your bloke in Sydley knows his stuff and wouldn't suggest it if it wasn't a good suggestion.
    Last edited by Larks; 11-04-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Here's my favourite Rick, she lives here on the Tweed River, a very neat little boat. I'm not sure how the cabin would translate to your hull though, that forecastle is unique!

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Some good news today. We were told the hull was oregon (douglas fir) but when I looked at the water-blasted sections yesterday I had my doubts. A friend who restores wooden boats for a living in Sydney had a look at it today and declared that it's kauri. Great! He also reckons that the worm damage isn't too bad and that they're gone anyway. He's recommending a sheathing approach to the restoration, similar to the Vaitses method. He's been using it a lot lately and finds it very successful. I'll post the details when he sends them up. I was very surprised to hear his recommendation as he's a real traditionalist - largely responsible for resurrecting Sydney's wooden 18' skiff fleet. Anyway, he's quickly become a fan of the little trawler - he reckons it's a real find and well worth doing up.

Thanks Ron, I like those too!

Rick
    Rick, I'll be very interested in hearing how this turns out, it will be a useful experiment at the very least. I bought the latest WB after our chat on the subject and my interest is piqued .
    Grateful Dead

+1 post 28.

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    That's one stout looking critter,Ron! Any other info. about her? I see she has a maple leaf on her stern.A boat from your neck of the woods?

Out of napkins already? Better not spill a drop then!

Cheers!

Peter
    Careful there,Lemonhands.That's SWMBO and she'd snap you like a twig.

Actually Herself's dad just sold that boat after 12 years of ownership,so I have had plenty of close contact with it.

I can get photos and measurements,but I figured that someone would be able to Photoshop graft that wheelhouse onto Rick's boat.
    It's 32',BTW.
    The wheelhouse floor is at the deckline/rubrail level and there is about 6'5" headroom at the midline.
    The tops of the doors are about 6'.
    The V berth and saloon have about the same headroom and are four and three ladder steps down from the wheelhouse,about 40" and 30"or so.
    The saloon floor is one big step down from the cockpit floor,12" maybe,but you've got to duck your head to get in the back door because it's only about 5' and there's no slide/hatch/companionway thingie.
    R

R
    Last edited by Ron Williamson; 11-04-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Careful there,Lemonhands.That's SWMBO and she'd snap you like a twig.R

Oh dear....I only have eyes for other boats Sir and would never,ever,did I say never, eye another mans' woman and certainly not with intent in my heart! I play only by the best rules Sir and never take the low road. I apologize toute suite for perhaps not being clear enough when describing what I honestly thought and still think of as a fine and stout looking vessel or critter. Our better halves merit kinder and fairer descriptors than that,surely!

Of course, had ya not given away and lost your LPBCs, you would have sensed this straight away........

Thanks for the important vitals,Ron.Headroom apparently is rather high on Rick's list of gottahaves. And more pictures you say? Why we are all bleedin' boat voyeurs here Sir and few if any would ever say,"No thank you.We had quite enough already.Stop it."

At your leisure, more would certainly be appreciated.

Once again, sorry for the misunderstanding regarding the boat and the wonderful lass, with excellent tastes in boats and apparently one fellow, poised ever so sweetly and delicately on the aft deck.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Awright,apology accepted,though without proper liquid atonement,in person,you're still on the hook.

Here's a link to the sale listing
    http://www.tobermorymarine.com/brokerage/maleo

We have others,but they are strewn, at random, through zillions of files.

Regarding The LPBCs,my loss is someone else's gain.
    I hate to say it,but I couldn't really manage them that well and was turning into Golom.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Maleo is a very good model drawn by a gentleman with a great eye, headroom in the foc'sl may be lacking and the head looks tight........

http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Yes,the head's very tight,but there's plenty of headroom under the raised trunk and wheelhouse dashboard(? terminology ?).
    The floor is a bit lower than aft.
    IMHO Rick's boat would have lots more space forward due to the raised deck.
    The head could be luxurious in comparison.
    R

PS. The finish work inside bears a striking resemblance to John Boone's Whampoa (sp?)
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

In the first and second posts I noticed what seems to me to be an unusual helm for a trawler, one that I would associate with sail. Is that common? The trim seems to be off as well, perhaps the pilot house is too far forward?

Oldad just wonderin'

Yes, that rear steering post is certainly odd and will be removed very soon! The trim is well out as there's no motor in the after area and a pile of stuff in the cabin.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Was thinking about your trawler,again,last night at work and doodled another quicky. It got folded away in my pocket and only retrieved once back home.

How about a nice bright and airy pilot house(360 degree visibility) with a comfy cockpit aft.Boom to haul treasures aboard or simply hang an awning.A nice long fore stay for flags and laundry.Cabin sides and cockpit coaming all done with some vertical staving,finsihed either bright or painted in your favorite colour!

Sorry about the quality of the picture.......

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Thanks Peter! I just got back from Samoa and the boat's coming up by truck from Sydney on Tuesday so today our little crew is putting together a cradle for it in a shed we've rented. I'll show them your latest design! I certainly like it!

Rick

Hi Rick,

By now you must think me a nuisance but I can't help myself.....I'm a compulsive doodler!

Anyway, here is another doodle,based on the previous one but with some notion of scale.That is, each little square equal one foot or 12 inches,whichever comes first.

I've also peeled away the years and given you the body of Adonis, the hair of Samson and the thirst of a sailor.

Cheers!

Peter

J.Lennon

and one heck of a tan...
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Both look very realistic to me! Another great drawing Peter! Thanks!

Rick

Miss Adventure arrived today:

This is the main restoration crew - Larry, Mo and Curly. Mo's the real owner, in the middle.

Rick

Brilliant!! Do ya' want my sabre saw for that cabin??
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I reckon the chainsaw'll be quicker when we're ready to take it off, but thanks!

Rick

More than likely, but they're not quite so accommodating of nails and bolts.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That's a point .... Curly's got one, anyway. We're not sure when the cabin'll come off. Mo's having a debate with Maritime about leaving his mooring unoccupied so we might just get the hull fixed up and put it back in the water and then start on the cabin etc. It won't be coming off soon anyway. We're currently working out the best approach to fixing the hull.

Rick

An opportunity to try your glass and resin technique Rick?
    Grateful Dead

Maybe or not. We're still debating that one! David, like me, is not keen on the idea of non-structural sheathing, and structural sheathing for this boat will be a big job and expensive. Another friend who's keen to join this project, and who's a very experienced and highly regarded boat restorer andbuilder, reckons that a single layer of double bias would work well. So, we'll confabulate and see where that gets us ... There's a very wormy patch in the bottom so we have to do something about that anyway.

Rick

Bump.......bumpity bump.....???????
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Progress to date .....

We now have two engines for the boat. A 70hp Nissan which a friend helpfully tidied up by removing all the wiring so now e have no clue where anything goes - grrrr!

We've removed some wormy planking to convince Larry (as in Larry, Curly and Moe - our crew) that lying upside down under the boat and routing off the wormy planking will not work and no one (i.e., Moe - moi) would be prepared to do that anyway. So we're going to remove about 5 sections of planking and then see whether that's enough. The cabin is coming off soon so pictures will be taken and released in this very thread.

Thanks for the bump Greg!

Rick

Did you get any ideas while you were down in Tassie Rick ?.
    Rob J.

Now if you could get that cabin off in one piece it would make a nice garden shed or hot dog stand. Looking at the design Peter drew I think the cabin or at least pilot house portion will have to be as tall as the one you remove in order to see over that very proud prow. Watching with great interest, what fun you will have and what a challenge too. Will you keep the sailboat helm?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Now if you could get that cabin off in one piece it would make a nice garden shed or hot dog stand. Looking at the design Peter drew I think the cabin or at least pilot house portion will have to be as tall as the one you remove in order to see over that very proud prow. Watching with great interest, what fun you will have and what a challenge too. Will you keep the sailboat helm?
    Or....... some kids would get the most FANTASTIC cubby house!!!! Oh to be a kid again......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'm bumping this as there is good news and lots of progress. Pictures soon!

Rick

Can't wait.

Party boat it. No cabin. Windscreen and shade...
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm bumping this as there is good news and lots of progress. Pictures soon!

Rick
    Tease