Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a trawler cabin

Default Ideas for a trawler cabin

A couple of friends and I have recently picked up this old trawler in Sydney. We're just sealing up the hull and deck and installing an engine in her at present, but once we get her home to Port Stephens (about 130 km north of Sydney) we'll think about replacing this hideous cabin. We want something that suits the boat but that will also provide roomier accommodation. Any ideas, especially drawings or photos, will be welcome!

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-31-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Default Re: Ideas for a trawler cabin

Interesting hull shape!! How will you use her? Where is the engine located? Just curious.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

The current pilothouse certainly is bad......Is she aground at the stern in those pictures or has the lack of engine changed the trim?

Roomier accommodation for what or who?
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

nice looking boat. I like the pilot house to be square and the front should come up straight to the windows in which I like the windows raked forward at that point. the roof need to come off and new radius beams put in. you may not want the overhang at the sides but I do like about 2' of overhang in the front and 1' overhang in the back. maybe not so many windows and just a couple of round ones that won't interfer with looking out. just my 2 cents for whatever thats worth.lol. have fun with the boat.

Outlaw

Fun hull shape. Is that stern steering station it or what?

Obviously, intended use will dictate. Even if for pleasure use, you may or may not want lots of deck space.

If the engin goes perhaps just ahead of that aft scupper and if the hull is not especially deep, one nice option might be to get a true pilot house, just enough room for the helm with a bench seat behind. Maybe off-set the helm to starboard to allow for a centerline hatch to a trunk cabin that runs to the raised deck over the fo'c'stle, assuming the hull's deep enough.

Failing that, I'd still bring the house back over the engin but maybe long enough to have a galley and setee behing the helm, and then deck between the raised deck and the house.

In both, I'd go for a nice half round fore end, tug boat style. A proper scuttle to the forepeak would be quite dressy, as would a bit of mast with gin pole pointing forward from the deck right in front of the house.

But really, you need to take her lines and start drawing to see what options make sense.

G'luck

Here ya go Rick, a lunch time doodle at no particular scale.Perfect for trouble!

Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

I think a small aft weelhouse and steadying sail could visually balence the high bow.

Robert

Following robert666......another doodle for ya Rick.....imagine the awning spread wide over the forward boom while a bunch of gents seek shelter from the sun while keeping well hydrated. I would call it a boys weekend boat with just barely enough room for medicine and grub.Life could be worse,ya know?

J.Lennon

Fellow forumite Dale Genther might stop by to comment. I'm totally taken by the way the Chesapeake Bay buy boats make use of a hull of this general shape. A cosy wheelhouse aft and, if converted to pleasure, a cabin set as deep in the old fishhold as possible. Here's Dale's boat, borrowed from his thread. The advantage and reasoning here is to put the tall structure where there's little hull depth, and sink the cabin down where there's maximum draft. But mostly, it's a nice notion is settle into that wheelhouse aft where the motion is most comfortable and watch the bow plow it's way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Here ya go Rick, a lunch time doodle at no particular scale.Perfect for trouble!

I was going to say that I actually really like the look of the forward raking wheelhouse windows, but I really like this one of Pete's!!! Actually I wonder how it might look with the slightly fwd raked windows??
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

That's fantastic everyone! I'll show all ideas to the crew and see if we can start firming things up. I really appreciate the trouble you've taken already - 2 drawings Mr L? You have quite a talent there - I really like both! Some answers:
    Yes, it's sitting rather oddly in the water as there's no engine. The engine used to be about midships but more recently was under that rear deck. The steering post is a later addition - soon to be removed unless we go with the rear cabin ideas. It's a very shallow hull and the real owner of the boat is a very tall guy so the cabin will need considerable height. The boat's primary use will be for day and weekend trips around Port Stephens and through the Myall Lakes. It won't be a workboat, although we all have yachts so it'll be called on occasionally for towing and transport duties. So accommodation and protection from the sun will be the main role of the cabin. I'm keen for the mast to be replaced with a substantial mast and boom capable of lifting engines and dinghies but we haven't discussed that.

We're notionally calling the boat Miss Adventure currently but we haven't settled on a name yet really.

I'm heading to Sydney on Saturday to help scrape the bottom and start sealing seams so I'll take a few photos and post those.

Once again, I'm really grateful for your suggestions and interest - I like every one of them! And we will do as Ian suggested, take her lines and start drawing.

Rick

Hi Rick,

While lolling away the midnight hours I couldn't help but give more thought(You're a fornicating liar ,Tenner!) to your request for ideas for your retired fishing boat.

I take it this will be a pure pleasure boat not expected to earn her keep through hardship(You're also a brown-noser, Tenner!) and that the owners take their pleasure seriously.

Without knowing the actual dimensions of this particular boat(Take a guess,ya lazy jerk!) I suspect she is somewhat smaller than her present mighty pilot house would suggest.

Therefore, how about keeping it simple(No one can sink as low as you Tenner, when it comes to simple!)

With nothing more than serious leisure and pleasure envisioned for use scenarios, how about a wonderful picnic boat?

A cozy fore peak to store medicine,ice,more medicine,maybe a root berth or two and a bucket.The rest of the boat then would become one lovely sprawling platform for any number of adult activities. You know; fishing, diving,square-dancing,swimming, fornic....WOOOPS!.....I mean.... tender moments with ones' love.

The savings in top hamper weight would be reflected in excellent fuel economy and the beast,aka engine, could be kept under a lovely box/ dining table/sunbathing platform,centrally located for really easy maintenance or even the occasional male ego stoke, when we take the cover off the beast to expose its' chromed parts and whistle clean surfaces to other wannabe males.I can almost see the admiring glances and nods of approval from the gathered voyeurs.(Cheeses Tenner, you're such a BS artist!)

And of course, when the weather is less than what was ordered on the menu, the sun too darned hot for man or beast and for when the end of the day comes before heading back home, a nice bimini top like so:

P.S. The fore deck hatch will be very much appreciated after a particularly arduous but very productive session on the thunder box.

There ya go.More doodles for yer noodle ta play with.

Any notion as to what this boats' vitals are?

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

It's about 30'. I reckon we're leaning towards your first doodle .... I'll take some pictures and measurements tomorrow! Thanks again.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I reckon we're leaning towards your first doodle ....
    Rick
    Jeezzz......The amateurs get all the good jobs......

Nice job Peter....you can now add "Occasional Yacht Designer" to your extensive list of accomplishments......

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post

Nice job Peter....you can now add "Occasional Yacht Designer" to your extensive list of accomplishments......
    That's fair but it's also fair to point out that we're leaning towards the first one as opposed to the last one ... with the greatest respect, I suspect Mr L dropped acid before he drew the last one ...

Nevertheless, and seriously, Peter's first doodle really does have that `just right' look about it to me, and to SWMBO (the taste committee) and I do suspect that we will settle on something very similar to it. A talent indeed! I also like the second doodle a lot but that one didn't achieve SWMBO approval (yet).

I should point out too that I have no talent for drawing at all - the only things I can draw are frowns from onlookers. So my admiration for napkin-based designers right through to naval architects knows no bounds.

Rick

Here's DN Hylan's Deliverance:

The 29' lobster boat Diana:

the 30' D'anna:

29' March Hen:

More details and pics on the DN Hylan website.
    "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

The restored 65' sardine carrier Grayling:

"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Rick , try looking through Sam Devlins site , especially Josephine and Lean To http://www.devlinboat.com/gallery/ma...g2_itemId=4430 .
    Rob J.

Hi Rick,

Glad you enjoy my doodles! Now that you mention the boat is around 30 feet and that the "picnic boat" sorta put you off your lunch, I went back and reduced the size of the cabin in the doodle you like most. I keep thinking of keeping the cabin as light as possible and at 30 feet, it would be a shame for the cabin to visually over power the fine sleek hull, the way the present real pilot house appears to do.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Nah, I like your first one better...now could you just add a forward raking windscreen to see what she looks like that way...thanks mate, just send the invoice to Rick.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

How much are napkins in Canada?

Thanks again everyone - so many great ideas! I'll post some photos after tomorrow's scraping and filling exercise!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post

Hi Tad,

Thanks for the compliment but when I tried to enter "Occasional Yacht Designer" into my electronic C.V., I kept getting this message; "Sorry,you can not use this title unless you delete "Boat Doodling Fool Par Excellence " from the appropriate box first." Then, when I tried to delete it, I received another message;" You do not have administrative privileges to delete this entry.If you believe this is an error,please contact your administrator,Nat." I'm doomed!

All seriousness aside, I am pleased Rick has found some inspiration in my doodles and confident too that, despite his many short comings, he will proceed along the straight and narrow paved road, straight to a qualified that Navel Architect/Designer. Preferably too, he will choose one well versed in older vessels with a work boat heritage.Someone steeped in nautical history.Someone who was almost born on a boat or at least close to the water.Someone with a fine eye for balance and proportions.You know....someone in fact an awful lot like.......well...... your own good self!! Besides, with the the Aus. dollar almost at par with our own Looney, it will be money well spent!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Nah, I like your first one better...now could you just add a forward raking windscreen to see what she looks like that way...thanks mate, just send the invoice to Rick.

By special request from an outstanding LPBC beneficiary................

As you can see, I am either running low on coffee or need more medicine......decisions,decisions!

So, a forward raking pilothouse and one happy Rick, sitting in the aft cockpit, raising a vial of medicine to Poseidon! I gave him somewhat more hair to reflect his youthful vigor. I also showed him capless.....pity!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    How much are napkins in Canada?

Free, to bums like myself,if you know the secret password in the other official language.

But these are not napkins Sir. Nosirree! These are genuine scraps of paper lifted from mini note pads which litter the office at work.This doodling business is too serious a venture to waste on mere napkins.That's right...nothing but the best for the gent from Port Stephens!!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    By special request from an outstanding LPBC beneficiary................

As you can see, I am either running low on coffee or need more medicine......decisions,decisions!

So, a forward raking pilothouse and one happy Rick, sitting in the aft cockpit, raising a vial of medicine to Poseidon! I gave him somewhat more hair to reflect his youthful vigor. I also showed him capless.....pity!

Cheers!

Peter

Yeah, pity!!! (is that "smug smiley"?)

Thanks Peter, what a guy!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Peter,
    Well after the one in post #23 we're going to pull your "drawing guy" card.......

But, to be serious, the important idea here is to establish proportions. Which Peter has (IMO) sucessfully done with his first few sketches. Now remains the investigation as to whether they actually work. I would be concerned about finished headroom in the forward and aft cabins, if that's expected. Then access between levels, how does the engine impact the interior arrangement that's hoped for. And how do the various tanks, exhaust, and batteries all fit.

The easiest and most straightforward way for the owner/builder to do this is mock it up real life. Knock that existing house off and get some lath and cardboard and create the spaces you want. In a day with doorskin and a hot glue gun you can build the whole cabin and stand back to look at it. Then adjust to suit. If you're clever these doorskin panels can be used as templates to build the house parts........

The easiest and most straightforward way for the owner/builder to do this is mock it up real life. Knock that existing house off and get some lath and cardboard and create the spaces you want. In a day with doorskin and a hot glue gun you can build the whole cabin and stand back to look at it. Then adjust to suit. If you're clever these doorskin panels can be used as templates to build the house parts........
    Excellent proposal. And I'd cut out all the windows to, so the real lines of sight can be verified -- something that's not nearly so obvious looking at 2 dimensional drawings, and something that drives me nuts in boats where it's not quite right. I was also wondering about the volume needed for the engine and tankage. I suppose you could find a cardboard box to replicate the size of the engine compartment, and make sure that fits in the mock-up, too.

Hi Rick,

Hope you had a fun and busy day scraping,cleaning and measuring your vessel.

Not sure how many partners are involved, but if it is three blokes, I've got a name suggestion for y'all.

"TRINITY BAY"

one last doodle for ya too..........

"Trinity Bay", just before the crew wake up..............

and "Trinity Bay" just as the fog sets in

Looking forward to what you manage to extract in terms of actual dimensions after this weekends' efforts along with some pictures, if you took your camera with you.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Stone the bloody crows Laughinghands, but you have a talent there!! That's just poifict!!! A nice forward little rake to the wheelhouse, all beutifully proportioned!!!

Rick, if the blessed trinity don't fall all over themselves agreeing with this "Ten T'umbs Trawler" concept, then, well.....what's the world coming to.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Sam Devlin always seems to get it right. Take a look at his cabin designs.

Neil

I agree Greg - that LH has excelled indeed! I like it a whole lot! And we'll check the Sam Devlin designs along with all others offered too!

We did scrape but we didn't measure - yet. The little boat has fairly substantial worm damage in a patch about a metre square and there's some hull distortion in the forward port quarter that I'm a bit concerned about - probably a couple of broken frames but I can't get in without removing some interior structure. Anyway, we're going to lift the boat onto a truck and bring her home for some planking repairs over the next couple of weeks. Then we'll do all the measuring we need.

But I did take a camera so I'll post some pictures - albeit ugly ones included! soon.

Rick

Mr L pretty much has it nailed in post 28 I think. Although a version without the aft part of the cabin and just a big flat party deck with the chromed engine underneath might be nice. Alternatively just an old phone box placed well aft.

Splendido!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Spendildo ? What a curious yet perhaps appropriate name for the boat to be. I hope Rick and Co. like it as much as I do, Kevin! Excellent choice of name!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I didn't have a napkin handy.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.