Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a 14ft Paul Johnson Dinghy

Default Building a 14ft Paul Johnson Dinghy

HI all,

I've just started one of Johnson's dinghy's and would like to fire a couple of questions re glass or dynel.

I have built a wharram 31 and a pram dinghy before so I'm still quite the amateur. I do know from dragging the pram up on the beach for a couple of years the glass was well worn away on the bottom. Would dynel fix this problem?

Bruce, you know Johnson's dinghy's as well as anyone any advise? I'll give him one thing his plans are quite sparse and leave a lot to the imagination if you don't have the experience. I reckon I could give it a good go without guidance but may as well make it as good as can be.

This is where I'm up to.

[IMG] [IMG] I know I need to flatten it out a bit. Johnson said you need to pour stout on the stem and stern to get it to move the way you want it. Stuff that though, Too expensive in this country. So I'm just doing a bit each day.
    [IMG]

Cheers

Spadge

Default Re: Building a 14ft Paul Johnson Dinghy

Not familiar with this one, can you post a link to the design?

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Stuff that though, Too expensive in this country. So I'm just doing a bit each day.
    I take it you're here in Gods-own?
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary
    We're the only species on earth that claims to have a god...and the only species on earth that lives as if we don't have a god.
    (US Journalist Paul Kelly on advice from the crayfish)

Yeah man, just updated my profile.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I am not up to speed on his 14'er, never seen plans. But I have seen a few of them and I have built many S n G 's.
    Is your boat a double chine?
    The two by four with all thread going through it is crucial for prams and small boats I have built. It prevents the middle from going too round, thus , robbing initial stability. As one tightens the vice grip. the center flattens, the rocker increases, and the bottom tightens up, strain on ties and compounding /torturing the ply.
    A fast build is possible, but do go slow if you have time and have never done it before.
    Even build a model ( or 4) with matt board (art store) nat 2inches to the foot. A large scale model will tell you where trouble is coming.
    It looks like your boat is way too round on the bottom, don't do any gluing yet.
    I will hunt my friends Facebook for recent build pics.
    bruce

here is one he built this past spring, 2012, the blue pram is the one I built last year in the previous post.

Thanks Bruce, I see my self as a long way from gluing yet, I was going to get the middle plank and sheer strake stitched on first??? I know the bottoms way to round, I started to pop the copper wire when I went much further than this, hence the cable ties, then I thought it best to let it sit for a day or so.

Yes, it's double chine,
    the plan says: "Middle plank top is a straight line, as is the sheer straik Middle plank is 41/2 inches at stem and 5 inches at stern." Murder point boat works N.S.

Yea mon no problem. The only other measurements are what you can see in the first photo.

Cheers

Man, I was writing that reply as you posted the pics, thanks again. How is the old salt? He still in Carriacou? What a wonderful old man he is.

That's the same place you fixed up his bounced dinghy last year, I saw that in another post and got to know Johnson around that time.

The middle plank sure looks bigger than 5 inches at the stern. It may be the photo?

This was our farewell, much rum and herboligy.

here is a lil diagram of the bottom thingie, one might even use two on a long boat
    i recon Paul is 75 now, he is good friends with the chap in Windward Carriacou , as am I , where this boat building goes on. The exact numbers of these boats? I dunno. I can hardly tell that there is a second /middle plank in them sometimes.

Hey, thanks for going to the trouble to draw and post that, Much appreciated. Off to get some all thread in the morn.

Glue the bottom first, lock up the darts. But no hurry. Once you start gluing, reversing will be much more work.

Worked like a charm. Cheers!!!

How wide is the fillet on the bottom? bow and stern are fine as there is plenty to fillet to. But the bottom is just so flat. I guess that's what the fiberglass is for.

Oh that looks better.
    Now, you gotta be carefull cuz she is going to want to go caddy whompas , or as Johnson might say, caddy f##k pig.
    I like to make an X of strings that cross in , and touch, in the center, a third string fore n aft , stem to stem , and a vertical bobbed string at each end.
    The boat needs chocking, ballasting, tacking, clamping, cussing , or as Johnson would say, stout on her stems.
    This boat was built in a weekend in a dirty dusty parking lot with a generator. Anyway, You can see the string buisness. If your bolts get in the way, just nip them off low, no prob.
    I do not even use tape on S n G boats anymore. I make oversize filets with 403 cotton fibers. But you can stick her together as you go and re filet or glass later.
    back to the original question, I prefer to keep em light, and drag them so that only one or two spots chafe the beach, then put something on the spot, usually a nog of thickened resin. for strength, glass or dynel on the INSIDE is better.But you may not need that strength.

Dunno if you ever saw this , Wizbang hit the beach about a year ago going fast, rppred into a rock in shallow water and went up and over into the railroad rip rap. She had holes torn into her but the no glass filets did not let go anywhere. quarter inch meranti and 403 filets.

I drove her home 12 miles , slowly.

This looks like a Caddy F**k Pig.

I came back in from making the previous post and she had blown out. The place where I live, the guy works with electrickery so found some heavy copper in his scrap pile and ditched the cable ties. Its holding now.

She seems to have to much rocker in her, like the bow needs to be pulled down, just from my eye. I am guessing thats what the "chocking, ballasting, tacking, clamping, cussing , or as Johnson would say, stout on her stems." is for?

I had trouble with my old dinghy getting water logged from dragging up the beach all the time, two young (10 n12) boys gave that dinghy a flogging. She had no glass on the outside, except the seems. I wouldn't tape the seems again in something like this though, as that thing was strong as an ox.
    I should have stiffened the transom before doing this.
    You had to gain speed "gradually". The old engines tiller was seized as well from being on a yacht for so long, so you had to lean to steer. Lots of fun.

I would be happy not to glass her as I hate sanding the stuff, and have top quality ply. Aussie standard hoop. Compared to the English standard, they call it pink here, (which I think Is meranti) the hoop is a lot stiffer and a lot better quality.

Again, thanks for your help.

To my eye, too much wood was taken away from the dart. the dart is too big.
    Stitch the bows up, ignore the gaps, just look at the shape of the hull.
    You can fill the dart later, with other overlapping/ tapered quarter inch darts , and it will be better than if you had made a perfect fit .

um, is that a 25 yammy on a 10 foot pram ?

Sorry, whats the dart?

"um, is that a 25 yammy on a 10 foot pram ?"
    Yep, full speed was way out of the questin though.

the dart is the cutaway the long VEE's cut from the bottom
    stitch her into a nice shape, ignore the gaps

Yeah dunno, followed the plan?
    Gaps are good, more glue. Gluing this avo once string lines are in place and I'm happy all is well

Where did you get the plans (such as they are), from PJ himself? Did you become an agent Bruce, you were talking about it.

I only know about the offsets to the 28 and 34 Venus. Nothing of the Sn G boats.

Hi Gareth, I lived in Carriacou for 8 months a year or so back, helped Johnson out a whole bunch on board Cherub and as I was leaving he gave me the plan to the 14 footer.

We also sat down together and pulled out his old log book from when big Venus went down in the Torres Strait all those years ago. We sat and plotted and drank and cried and we think we have found her location. That's why I'm building this dink now. I'm planning to go and have a good look around for her early next year with the idea of restoring her. There is a few items on board which Johnson would like to see again as well.

It's a big mission, but it would be fun.

Is Johnson still in Carriacou Bruce?

huh, I have been there for a while for a few years.
    have we met? whats yer name/ You know Dave who lives in Windward? You know my brother, John Smith, of Mermaid?
    I think PEJ just left coocoo, but he may just be up in Nevis or something, I do not think he's gone to the Azores .
    Is Big V up on the beach? I assumed she was smashed to itchy bits of foam.
    20 questions again.

I think we met one time. I was havin a drink with some germans at Troys restaurant, can't remember the name of it now. You had just arrived< I remember seeing Windwood and asking you if it was of the same design as Cherub. I hadn't met johnson at this stage, he had just had his accident which you fixed up his dinghy. I remember you seeming rude so didn't bother talking to you again (grin).
    Never did meet john although I may have and not realized it? I know the boat though. I did meet Dave but wouldn't say I know him.

I had two teenage boys and a dark haired girl traveling with me, if that jogs your memory? We lived up the back of Lambi Queen on the hill, Old man Cudjoe's place.

Apparently Big V hit the reef, PJ had time to anchor her and close all the hatches, she may have gone over the edge in which case she is gone, but she may not have??? The old darned if you do and darned if you don't. So I have to at least try and find her, would love to get her floating again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Spadgett View Post
    Hi Gareth, I lived in Carriacou for 8 months a year or so back, helped Johnson out a whole bunch on board Cherub and as I was leaving he gave me the plan to the 14 footer.

We also sat down together and pulled out his old log book from when big Venus went down in the Torres Strait all those years ago. We sat and plotted and drank and cried and we think we have found her location. That's why I'm building this dink now. I'm planning to go and have a good look around for her early next year with the idea of restoring her. There is a few items on board which Johnson would like to see again as well.

It's a big mission, but it would be fun.

Is Johnson still in Carriacou Bruce?
    Wow, great adventure. I met a former girlfriend of his a few years (or decades) ago, she was pretty funny and we laughed about the subordinate role she had to play, I think he even used to address her as "Woman", our conversation was curtailed by her Pommy boyfriend getting stroppy

Forgot the name Question, Steve, Steve Padgett. Say g'day to Andy for me when you see him will you, and mumble something about the cricket.

And if your speaking to Johnson at all let him know I haven't given up on the idea. I have tried to call him several times but for the life of me cant get the number right.
    Last edited by Cap'n Spadgett; 11-01-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: remove swearing :-)

rude? me? wha?

Big grin

I finally got to spend an afternoon on the dinghy. Darts were glued a few days ago and sides went on today.

Following these instructions: "Middle plank top is a straight line, as is the sheer straik Middle plank is 41/2 inches at stem and 5 inches at stern." I managed to come up with the above.

Here is a shot of the plan. Sorry, I had to remove the measurements as it is Johnson's design, I would have to run it by him before putting it up online.

Top plank could have been a little higher I think, but that is all the ply would allow me. I had one piece of ply ripped in half, then scarf jointed for the sides. Anyway, should be fine.
    I am out of Cabosil, more coming in the next couple of days. I am going to stitch glue the outsides then remove the cable ties once dry.
    This way I can assure all holes are filled as I am not going to glass it.

Johnson was laughing when he said every one of these boats turns out a little bit different. This one will be no exception :-)

that is what happens with these, all a bit different, but , "an afternoon spent on the boat" , and you have just about got a boat!
    bruce

Bruce or any one got an idea on a sail plan? I was thinking a second hand windsurfer rig. I should be able to find one of them cheaply.

Is there a cheap make yourself creations?

Steve

Finally found some time to spend on the dinghy this weekend just gone. Top planks filleted and a rough sand, bulk heads and seats cut to shape.
    Its all about the Love.

Not sure how it ended up a heart shape, as it is meant to be something a little more like this, looks like not as much flare at the stern, its tricky trying to guess this.
    But we need more love in this world, so all good.

I am aware of the extra weight bought about by the flotation, but I would like to do some coastal sailing in this on a good day, and for kids to be able to use it, so I see flotation as being more important.

How do I get rid of this underline???

I posed a question about setting up a sail rig on this boat and have had no replies. Am I better to start a new thread in the design section, or keep it all in one place???

Cheers all
    Last edited by Cap'n Spadgett; 11-18-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

i think the rig for these boats is a mish mash of whatever a cruiser can find.
    i am not fond of windsurfer rigs in dingys.
    having used lug and sprit , i have come around to a single marconi sail ,sleeved, on a bendy tapered solid wood spar as my fave. infinite reefing and fast striking , yet super simple, and good windward performance. the ability to store the rig inside is overemphasized for me, it gets in the way either way.
    johnson used a crab claw kind of thing , lateen with a VERY highly peaked boom . i dunno what he has now. of course this is not a johnson dingy, it's my modified bequia 2 bow boat, Resinante!
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 12-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Toe vang boom
    dry butt

I was thinking Crab Claw for a while. Just 'cause I have never sailed with one and I thought it would be good to learn.

It's hard to go against the simplicity of your little rig there. Is it easy enough to make marconi sail?

easy enough, just 2 or 3 seams, simple broad seams. it has a wrinkle or two, I am not a "confectionist" that way.
    The mast is married to the sail , of course.
    I build the spar first, and bend it a bit , using the mast curve itself to draw the luff curve.
    Your boat will be a stand alone vessel , but the beauty of this rig , when I come alongside, i just step out with the bow painter , pop it on a pin (pre tied loop) , then pull the mast out and twist up the sail , the sheet becomes the stern line. with the board down and a spring clamp on the tiller to hold it still, the boat stays put in wakes and such.
    The sail has not been off the mast since new, 3 years .

I'll give that a go for sure.
    If I can just bounce a couple more questions.

Mast position? I have the bulkhead position on the plans and the daggerboard trunk sits north of that, no mast position though. I have the forward seat glued in, so position is set as far as going forward any more. I was thinking of making a "slide" type arrangement so as I can play with it and find the right balance.
    If I could move the mast back and forward say 4 inches, would it be a noticeable difference or do I need to allow more. I read a bit about CE and CLR, then proceeded to have a brain freeze, so think trial and error is probably the best for me.

So you saying the sail is cut flat and the bend in the mast provides the shape? Excuse my lack of terminology.

How many laminates in your spar? I am guessing 2?

And I want to say again, thanks for all your help on this. It's a much better boat as a result.
    Maybe your not as rude as I first thought and I apologise for that. Ha Ha
    Cheers

Troy (Twilight Bar) pisses me off and I am uptight around him , so our location might have had something to do with my attitude at our only meeting.
    You can see in my dink that the mast is WAY forward. On paper , too far, but it works. My other dingys have been the same. Having no boom, being far , far forward, makes the sheeting angle better. Not perfect, but better. And it gives the illusion of much more room in the boat.
    I do not know a thing about clr or ce.Yet I have rigged a dozen or more dingys to sail. go figure.

I can't make that call for you Steve . On one hand, I'd say combine the partner /step with the bulkhead and cb case for strength, but that is not what I do.
    I think the position of the CB is more important than the position of the mast. but,,, I am not really up to second guessing Johnson. knowing him , he might just put an umbrella in there .I don't think Johnson has a mast or sail rigged yet here, that wee pipe wont hold a rig without partners . But there is the board, unless it is going to be a sloop , the mast needs to be well forward of the board.
    here are my 2 dingys in one shot.

No , the sail is not cut flat, it has broadseams. I'll make a sketch later if you like .
    don;t worry about asking me questions , talking about boats is what i like to do . these last few days my tools are put away and my stuff is shut down , to fly back tomorrow .I have even gone down into the bilge these last 2 days. bruce

A sketch would be great thanks Bruce. I've never made sails before but have done a bit of upholstery.

I don't see myself getting the sail made this year. She should be rowing by then though.

I decided to put a layer of glass through the inside.
    I glued a block of jarrah where the trunk meets the hull and the box will glue to this. The position of this is to plan but I just made up the length of the trunk. 350mm or 14 inches.
    I looked at that photo of Johnsons dink a LOT trying to determine the position of the forward seat and bulkhead. should be pretty close I reckon, but it's a good 6-8 inches further back than what yours appears. See how we go hey.

Not much curve in the mast?
    Last edited by Cap'n Spadgett; 12-06-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Actually, I have another questin. How do you furl your sail, do you have lines, or just twist it by hand? How do you lock it where you want it?

I was thinking lines running back to a jam cleat?

The bottom of the mast is square , and it sets into a wood box.The square box mast step/ partner locks it . I lube it a bit so as not to get jammed in there.
    I can reef it by picking the mast out and twisting the mast , a quarter turn or 5 full turns or anywhere in between , and popping it back in . I carry a sandbag usually so the sandbag gets thrown aft when i go forward.
    Or, I un tie the figure 8 in the end of the sheet and pull the sheet out of the clew and wrap the sail around the mast.
    The latter is when the waves are big, it is slower but safer.
    The only line is the sheet . ...and the tack line , but that is not really adjustable. a rolling hitch on the spar.
    A rope bridle near the stern,that the tiller can clear. sheet is tied to that with a bowline , the other end of the sheet goes through a grommet in the clew with a figure 8. I grab the figure 8 and bring it once through the bridle so I have a 2 to 1 purchase. bobs yer uncle. no cleats or jams. never make fast the sheet of a small boat. dead simple . when I come up to a dock or alongside the boat , I let the sheet fly out to the figure 8.
    Mast is built straight but tapered. the sail is cut to a curve. In light wind, the curved sail on a straight mast gives belly. As the wind comes up the mast bends, which flattens the sail . basic bendy mast stuff.
    I'll get better pics when I get there , no hurry.

'eres me ol' one, doin retirement duty, working to draw folks into the beach bar. you can see the sheeting better .

I've often thought Topper rigs might work well for other small boats. The mast is a two section, unstayed arrangement, so it'll fit in a boat easy. The sail has a luff pocket and rolls around the mast to reef it easy. Its 5 sqm (standard) or there are now 4.2 sqm sails also available. There are many old Topper's kicking about...use the daggerboard and rudder too.

Ed
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 12-06-2012 at 05:33 AM.

(Must be read in Race Horse commentator mode

Bruces idea is in the lead at the moment on "simplicity",

closely followed by Ed on "Toppers kicking about".

spadges idea of a "windsurfer rig" has gone out the window,

crab claw is still hanging there although falling of the pace,

As we come around to the straight at the end of the final bend

Who's idea will have the breeze at their back.

Aloha

Solway Dory make excellent rigs for sailing canoes. Bermudan, lug and lug + mizzen. Good prices all in with masts and fittings etc. Would need postage though!

http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/products...-sailing-rigs/

Ed