Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pedal power

Default Re: pedal power

I hope to fit a Mirage drive to a Sail & Oar™ boat. Not that I will lose the Oar part of the equation, but my legs are stronger, have greater endurance, and I like facing forward. With the longer fins, I think it ought to drive 500lbs of boat, gear, and sailor just fine.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

It should push you near hull speed anyway. BTW, you can reverse the drives in the well for reverse.
    My legs are certainly in better shape than my dodgy shoulders.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    I hope to fit a Mirage drive to a Sail & Oar™ boat. Not that I will lose the Oar part of the equation, but my legs are stronger, have greater endurance, and I like facing forward. With the longer fins, I think it ought to drive 500lbs of boat, gear, and sailor just fine.
    Have you decided on what kinda drive well be build?
    Hobie has a nice one they sell separately but it's only 5.5" tall. 'Wonder if it could be lengthened somehow.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

I have had the chance to use several different boats that were peddle driven. One for about 10 minutes with a Mirage drive and another for a couple of hours with a Spin Fin mentioned by Gib. With the latter in a kayak with side ama-sponsons....I could easily cruise at a little better than 4 knots and spurts up close to 7. This was very much more efficient than moving the same boat with a paddle. My experience with the Mirage was similar though only for a short spin. The boat did not have the same speed potential, and was not as fast, but was still faster than paddling.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    I have had the chance to use several different boats that were peddle driven. One for about 10 minutes with a Mirage drive and another for a couple of hours with a Spin Fin mentioned by Gib. With the latter in a kayak with side ama-sponsons....I could easily cruise at a little better than 4 knots and spurts up close to 7. This was very much more efficient than moving the same boat with a paddle. My experience with the Mirage was similar though only for a short spin. The boat did not have the same speed potential, and was not as fast, but was still faster than paddling.
    Did you happen to notice what size fins the Hobie was fitted with? There are 3 sizes.

The larger two have adjustable tension so you can change the pitch.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by leaotis View Post
    Hobie has a nice one they sell separately but it's only 5.5" tall. 'Wonder if it could be lengthened somehow.
    where do you see that well? I don't find it in the catalog. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    where do you see that well? I don't find it in the catalog. Thanks
    I found it on their forum. It's suggested for boat building projects, they finally recognized us.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...0cd1b378fcf935

Your well needs to be the depth of the boat's draft plus a 3" or so.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

Thanks. I guess stacked plywood ovals would be tne way to go. Up to a point. I've got a 6 inch draft. Adding 3 inches might not intefere with the pedals if it was flaired.

Still thinking of ways to hang it off the back or side.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Thanks. I guess stacked plywood ovals would be tne way to go. Up to a point. I've got a 6 inch draft. Adding 3 inches might not intefere with the pedals if it was flaired.

Still thinking of ways to hang it off the back or side.
    I had a CNC cut stacked ply well made, it was nice but way too heavy. I ended up using 2 of the ply slices as guides for making hot wire cut foam wells. They were glassed. There are foam well pics interspersed in the build pics if you're interested. I've posted these before, don't know if you've seen them.
    http://s455.photobucket.com/user/til...?sort=4&page=1
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

I didn't get it earlier but I see now. That plywood does look stout. Although, with the plastic base, it would be much smaller and I would not need the structural detail.

I'll have to look into the hot wire foam. My skills are pretty basic though.

I found it on their forum. It's suggested for boat building projects, they finally recognized us.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...0cd1b378fcf935

Your well needs to be the depth of the boat's draft plus a 3" or so.

It's all theory for now, but it looks like someone figured it out for me! Gonna have to do a little shopping.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

The SpinFin, originally made by Bob Stuart, is resuming production. It is now available in two versions: the original length model for kayaks and small monohulls and a 14" longer version for cats and deeper draft boats.
    More info can be found be emailing spinfin1@outlook.com
    Last edited by Mark Coulter; 04-10-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I've seen a number of Dispro boats aver the years. Have you seen Paul Gartside's pedal boat. I like his take on the retractable prop with built in skeg for protection. This boat has traveled the length of the Mississippi, then around Florida and up the Intracoastal then all the way to Nova Scotia.
    I'd like to get the plans for this. Do you know if they are available?

it's on the gartside website...

Quote Originally Posted by telenorth View Post
    it's on the gartside website...

He was willing to sell the drive plans separately, to me, though I didn't go ahead with it. Mirage was getting big at the time.

If a person really wants to go slow in shallow water, I think that Harry Bryan's fin might be a way to go.

Also, for ideas, look up treddlecat on youtube, and related fin propulsion systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post

If a person really wants to go slow in shallow water, I think that Harry Bryan's fin might be a way to go.

Also, for ideas, look up treddlecat on youtube, and related fin propulsion systems.
    this might be good video for this.