Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Tot stove

Default Re: Tiny Tot stove

Quote Originally Posted by Three Cedars View Post
    Try doug fir bark at the tide line , doesn't take very long to dry out . Blacksmiths used it as a substitute for coal , burns hot.
    Ahhhhh, this is the kind of nugget of knowledge that keeps me coming back to the Forum.

I have over a chord of fir bark in my woodshed. Burns great.

What parts of the Tiny Tot need replacing soonest?

Fatsco has a part list, but they claim that over the 20 years they've been selling the Tiny Tot, they've never sold a spare part.

If you've burned out a particular part after many seasons of use on-board, please let me know what parts go first. It'd be great if they were immortal little stoves, but I doubt it.

Maybe owners just buy a whole new stove when a couple of key components get questionable in their old one.

Jack

I have not replaced any parts.....but then again I have only been using it for about a year and a half..... There is no sign as yet that any particular part is not going to last for years.

To quote Ian's counsel from post #25. It is the best advice & caution on the subject.

INSTALL A CARBON MONOXIDE METER in the boat. Do that this afternoon

CO fatalities can & do occur.

Since I was looking for info on Tiny Tot stoves I'll add this little tidbit. If using wood pellets or charcoal or some combination of the two that works well in your stove, here's a trick. Buy brown paper bags of a size that will easily fit in your stove. Fill them up (and mark them) as two different types--starter bags that include kindling and sustainer bags that are just fuel. Keep them in a bucket, basket or box near the stove. No muss, no fuss! Cheers, Matthew

Does anyone have any more info on CO poisoning and how to prevent it? It says all over the charcoal bags "do not use indoors". Is charcoal worse for CO than the equivalent amount of wood? Would a cracked window be enough to allow O2 to diffuse in? I do have a CO detector on the boat but I would rather not trust it. I remember in a Lynn and Larry Pardey book they have a story about them both waking up with really bad headaches and realizing that they almost both died from CO poisoning.

Also I'm finding my Tiny Tot not easy to light with Kingsford Match Light Charcoal. I've been using paper towels as starter, which burn like ****. The New Yorker is not much better. I will buy a newspaper today and try that, assuming better results. I don't have any solid wood onboard right now. Any other suggestions?

I've always heard on woodstoves in houses that you are supposed to keep a gap of some amount of distance surrounding the stove. Not really possible on a boat. My Tiny tot has the stainless curtain surrounding it. That doesn't seem to get very hot. Is there any kind of standard distance to keep things away from the stove? I can't really imagine anything bursting in flames nearby but what do I know?

Thanks!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Does anyone have any more info on CO poisoning and how to prevent it? It says all over the charcoal bags "do not use indoors". Is charcoal worse for CO than the equivalent amount of wood? Would a cracked window be enough to allow O2 to diffuse in? I do have a CO detector on the boat but I would rather not trust it. I remember in a Lynn and Larry Pardey book they have a story about them both waking up with really bad headaches and realizing that they almost both died from CO poisoning.

Also I'm finding my Tiny Tot not easy to light with Kingsford Match Light Charcoal. I've been using paper towels as starter, which burn like ****. The New Yorker is not much better. I will buy a newspaper today and try that, assuming better results. I don't have any solid wood onboard right now. Any other suggestions?

I've always heard on woodstoves in houses that you are supposed to keep a gap of some amount of distance surrounding the stove. Not really possible on a boat. My Tiny tot has the stainless curtain surrounding it. That doesn't seem to get very hot. Is there any kind of standard distance to keep things away from the stove? I can't really imagine anything bursting in flames nearby but what do I know?

Thanks!
    Paul
    ..CO is a very real problem for combustion of any sort in an enclosed space, I am not sure if charcoal is worse than other fuels. Good ventilation is necessary. I have ventilation from the fo'c'sle hatch, sky-light, opening port, companion way, and the lazarette hatch. All are open enough to provide some passage of air. Some are forward, and others are aft of the stove.........The Tiny Tot can be hard to light. I use newspaper, small chunks of wood and fire starter blocks. The difficulty is getting the free circulation started. Once the air is moving through, it is fine. It can be complicated by back-winding down the flue, which has happened a few times when the wind outside was gusting. Once the air flow is established, through the vent, through the fire and up the flue, little CO will make it into the cabin.........The shield on your Tiny Tot probably gives about enough space, I do not have the shield. I have put metal sheeting around the stove against the wood backing, the closest being about 4" right behind the stove. Actually there is an air gap between the sheeting and the wood of about 3/16". I have checked the temperature on the surrounding metal when there is a good fire going, and have found it no more than warm to the touch, seems to be enough....

CO detectors are cheap and can be -- literally-- a lifesaver
    Elect a clown expect a circus

So True....CO detectors are easy to get and install........................ Part of the solution is learning to have a fire with as little CO producing poor combustion as you can, and making sure you are properly ventilated. I would not just use a CO detector. I would use good fire management as the main way of reducing risk........ and a CO detector as the backup.

The key is proper ventilation, make sure the stove is vented properly. Among other considerations the stack needs to be long enough to maintain a good draft, something that might be tough on a small boat. Follow the directions carefully.

Bags of charcoal have those warnings on them because people tend to bring their unvented grills inside and the resulting CO just builds up in the space.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I am bringing to life an old thread because I need some heat in the aft cabin of my boat. I am thinking of a Fatsco stove. (Ironically, I bought one in '79 at Doc Freeman's in Seattle and then never installed it and gave it away.)

Some questions: better to install the stove on the sole or on a shelf on the bulkhead? If the latter, it will out of the way. Is an barometric damper needed? How much shielding is required behind a stove that has the bent metal heat shield on it? How big an inlet for ventilation?

The space I am heating is small about 6x6x6 feet. I am thinking a Tiny Tot makes more sense than the larger Pet.

We will be using the stove to take the chill off in the early and late season

You might want to check out the Cubic Mini, too. I like that you can see the fire through the glass door. And the ss bulkhead mount is very nicely made. The newer version even has a pullout ash shelf for less mess tending the stove.

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

When starting the Tiny Tot I have, I put in a half sheet of newspaper that is waded up and lay on a couple of split up pieces of Fat Wood. Fat Wood is pitch pine and is available at Home Depot and most other chain hardware stores. Before lighting, I place a small bag of charcoal or fire wood on top of the Fat Wood. It always starts like a champ! Better to not load the stove too much, in the beginning, as an over hot fire can cause the casting of any iron stove to heat too fast and crack. CO is produced by any kind of fire and is not confined to just charcoal or bricketts. Never burn a woodstove in a space that is not ventilated enough to meet fire code rules. Another fire starter is to fill a paper egg carton with sawdust in the compartments and pour melted wax on them. They are easy to break off and make great stove starters. Depending on the size of the stove, you may prefer to not fill the compartments all the way with saw dust and wax as they can produce quite a flame.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-19-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Self-lighting charcoal works pretty well... and a little goes a long way. One or two of those briquettes will get the stove going.
    I don't cook with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I am bringing to life an old thread because I need some heat in the aft cabin of my boat. I am thinking of a Fatsco stove. (Ironically, I bought one in '79 at Doc Freeman's in Seattle and then never installed it and gave it away.)

Some questions: better to install the stove on the sole or on a shelf on the bulkhead? If the latter, it will out of the way. Is an barometric damper needed? How much shielding is required behind a stove that has the bent metal heat shield on it? How big an inlet for ventilation?

The space I am heating is small about 6x6x6 feet. I am thinking a Tiny Tot makes more sense than the larger Pet.

We will be using the stove to take the chill off in the early and late season
    I spent two winters onboard a small boat in Baltinore (not insanely cold but definitely not warm). Im very glad I pulled the tiny tot out of my boat. It was dirty, put out minimal heat and took up anlot of space.

I used an electric space heater for maintanence heating but used a propane powered little buddy heater for when it got real cold. That thing is awesome. It runs on those camping bottles. I ended up grtting a litlte doohicky so I could refill the bottles from a propane tank (at your own risk of course).

I would recomend one highly as long as the owner is mildly intelligent and not going to do very stupid things. They donít put out co, they have an oxygen sensor and put out a really nice amoubt of heat. Best part is you can out wherever you want and then put it into storage.

My $.02

California does not get all that cold so my H28 is getting the old Tiny Tot that I once had in my Wolkswagen Camper Bus. I was a traveling singer and ski bum, in those days, and I slept in the bus to be first in line in the morning at the lift. At Mt Hood in a blizzard, the snow piled up over the bus and the temps went down to -12 Deg Centigrade outside. But the bus stayed toasty! I always made sure a vent was open.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-19-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    I spent two winters onboard a small boat in Baltinore (not insanely cold but definitely not warm). Im very glad I pulled the tiny tot out of my boat. It was dirty, put out minimal heat and took up anlot of space.

I used an electric space heater for maintanence heating but used a propane powered little buddy heater for when it got real cold. That thing is awesome. It runs on those camping bottles. I ended up grtting a litlte doohicky so I could refill the bottles from a propane tank (at your own risk of course).

I would recomend one highly as long as the owner is mildly intelligent and not going to do very stupid things. They don’t put out co, they have an oxygen sensor and put out a really nice amoubt of heat. Best part is you can out wherever you want and then put it into storage.

My $.02
    Glad it worked for you. My complaint about unvented propane heat is that it puts moisture in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Glad it worked for you. My complaint about unvented propane heat is that it puts moisture in the air.
    Not sure why but I never had a problem with that. I had temps down to the low teens and never had much if any moisture. I did usually have a small electric soace heater going. But no big issues with moisture.

Unvented heat in a boat can turn the cabin into a gym locker after a few days of use! I am dead against using a heater that has no direct outside venting as the other side effect is suffocation!
    Jay

Using my oven and kerosene lamp for heat does not result in noticeable humidity. Probably because they don't burn continuously and the boat is definitely not airtight. I do have a carbon monoxide alarm. When in doubt I leave a vent open forward. This allows air flow without chilling the cabin too much.

A single bigger coal chunk added to a wood fire and then dampened down will last all night and give more heat than wood alone. I have a boat with a parlor stove, not airtight, and it easily goes 8-10 hours and easy to build up in the morning.

I love my Tiny Tot. It's perfect for our New England autumn days.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    ..CO is a very real problem for combustion of any sort in an enclosed space, I am not sure if charcoal is worse than other fuels. Good ventilation is necessary. I have ventilation from the fo'c'sle hatch, sky-light, opening port, companion way, and the lazarette hatch. All are open enough to provide some passage of air. Some are forward, and others are aft of the stove.........The Tiny Tot can be hard to light. I use newspaper, small chunks of wood and fire starter blocks. The difficulty is getting the free circulation started. Once the air is moving through, it is fine. It can be complicated by back-winding down the flue, which has happened a few times when the wind outside was gusting. Once the air flow is established, through the vent, through the fire and up the flue, little CO will make it into the cabin.........The shield on your Tiny Tot probably gives about enough space, I do not have the shield. I have put metal sheeting around the stove against the wood backing, the closest being about 4" right behind the stove. Actually there is an air gap between the sheeting and the wood of about 3/16". I have checked the temperature on the surrounding metal when there is a good fire going, and have found it no more than warm to the touch, seems to be enough....
    an ancient post with a few interesting points...

Charcoal is worse than other fuels like wood or coal because it is very good at burning in a low oxygen environment... which means long after a log fire has died for lack of oxygen or a coal fire for lack of heat and draft a charcoal fire will continue burning oxygen and producing Co.

I've noticed if the hatches you have open are higher in elevation than the stove door any warm air in the cabin will tend to rise through the hatches and cool air will be drawn down the chimney and enter the cabin through the stove door, once the air in the stove is warm the stove will typically have plenty of power to overcome this reverse draft.

Here is the stove that the Pardys had in the cabin of "Talisen". This is the one that Larry put a wick burner into. According to him, it never has given a problem in over 50 years of use!
    Incidentally, the reason I use Fat Wood to start my Tiny Tot is that starter soaked briquets emit fumes that make my eyes and nose burn and the fat wood does not.
    Jay

My Brother had a diesel wick stove, that performed flawlessly, and was reliable in wind as well.

I wish I knew where to find one of those old wick burners! I would put it in our Tiny Tot. Alas, those burners are no longer to be found!
    Jay

Are they similar to home kerosene wick heaters? I'd be looking at junk/antique stores if they are. The ones I'm thinking of have a tank underneath, a circular wick of maybe 5 inches diameter, and a dome of heavy wire mesh on top of the wick. The dome glows bright red.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I wish I knew where to find one of those old wick burners! I would put it in our Tiny Tot. Alas, those burners are no longer to be found!
    Jay

wick oil burners are all over Amish Country a dollar a dozen... I wonder if you might get one through a catalog?

I got the sudden urge to build my own stove, it came out ok, a couple lengths o cast iron pipe and a bracket to mount it on. It was 22% about the time I was able to snap this photo... and a comfortable 60% in the cabin of the dory, later in the evening we were treated to the sounds of ice rustling along the hull and the winter sticks cutting through the window pane ice that was actively forming on the salt water... the lights of Ipswich looked like glowing embers in the cold night air and the chill could nearly take your breath away.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-27-2018 at 08:38 PM.

For wicks take a look at this site, http://www.milesstair.com/kero_heaters.html
    This is a bit of a rabbit hole...
    He has wicks for the Rippingille stoves which is the stove that gained notoriety in The Riddle of the Sands!
    (He has the old heavy asbestos round wicks)

Long ago I had an experience with a little boat stove conversion that burned diesel through a sight glass drip valve onto a small bowl of sand in the stove. You lit it with a bit of paper.
    I hate the smell of diesel myself and used to go to extremes to obtain paraffin oil. (which smells like a candle burning)

Ah, your toes look toasty for sure Daniel!
    Jay

I did a search, several years ago, for a wick font ,such as the one the Pardys used in the stove on "Taliesen", without success. I think that the tide may have changed so I am prompted to do another search.
    Thanks guys
    Jay

I did some checking and found several kerosine stoves offered such as the Dyna Glo at $109.00 at Target. This is a convection heater and requires a battery to operate it. In addition, the font appears to be so large as to not be applicable to the Tiny Tot.

However, this may be the answer. Winner Eco offers a kero wick stove that sells for only $17.00 ! At that price I am willing to order one and see if it will work. The base is 16.5 cm in diameter and the Tot is 17cm at the grate. Larger in the base area. The entire stove is 18 cm in height which is too high for the Tiny Tot but that does not mean that it can't be modified. So, I am ordering one just to see if it will work. It does have a weird wick but it it works, I think I can live with it. Otherwise it is back to burning wood.
    https://www.amazon.com/WinnerEco-Por...erosene+burner

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Are they similar to home kerosene wick heaters? I'd be looking at junk/antique stores if they are. The ones I'm thinking of have a tank underneath, a circular wick of maybe 5 inches diameter, and a dome of heavy wire mesh on top of the wick. The dome glows bright red.
    We had one of those when I was a kid, Zip brand, it had a big reflector so was largely a radiant heater. We also had a Valor that had a cabinet with a tank in the bottom and a wick and chimney inside. That was a convection heater. Neither were vented to outside, so while giving good heat they also introduced moisture into the house as a byproduct of combustion. We had very few kerosene fumes because my folks, when turning them off, used to blow the flame out rather than turning the wick down and waiting for it to extinguish itself.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    We had one of those when I was a kid, Zip brand, it had a big reflector so was largely a radiant heater. We also had a Valor that had a cabinet with a tank in the bottom and a wick and chimney inside. That was a convection heater. Neither were vented to outside, so while giving good heat they also introduced moisture into the house as a byproduct of combustion. We had very few kerosene fumes because my folks, when turning them off, used to blow the flame out rather than turning the wick down and waiting for it to extinguish itself.
    Exactly what I was referring to, put the guts of one of those into a flued heater.