Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 122122

Thread: Low horsepower planing boats?

Tolman skiff has my vote. Seaworthy in all conditions and a place for the wife and kid to get out of the spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Low horsepower planing boats?

Has anyone looked at building a planing hull, fairly flat bottom skiff and placing it atop a long narrow scull-like hull. The scull acts as a keel with lift and creates very little wave making resistance. It would have enough lift to make the flat planing skiff hull very lightly loaded. The skiff hull would provide roll stability to the scull. What is wrong with this idea? Think of the scull acting like half a swath hull.

Look up the works of designer, Philip C. Bolger. He designed--and many built-- many flatbottomed boats with a central sponson or box keel as you describe. Here's an image of one, stolen from the Internet.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nedfarinholt View Post
    Has anyone looked at building a planing hull, fairly flat bottom skiff and placing it atop a long narrow scull-like hull. The scull acts as a keel with lift and creates very little wave making resistance. It would have enough lift to make the flat planing skiff hull very lightly loaded. The skiff hull would provide roll stability to the scull. What is wrong with this idea? Think of the scull acting like half a swath hull.
    I built a 13' x 4' flat bottom boat with a 5" deep 12'' wide box keel. 15hp 4 stroke. The box keel lifted enough of the weight that "on plane" the hull would wobble from side to side as alternate chines became airborn. Very unstable. Still pounded and was extremely wet in a head sea.
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not end up there.-Yogi Berra

Having gone through almost all of the postings in this thread, with a mind hoping to learn about some or other fantastic achievement, my hope has so far not been rewarded.

Admittedly,with an idea of choppy Solent conditions, low power and planing didn't make sense to start with. Instead, a long and skinny displacement hull will at least answer the low horsepower requirement, but enough said I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Carter View Post
    I built a 13' x 4' flat bottom boat with a 5" deep 12'' wide box keel. 15hp 4 stroke. The box keel lifted enough of the weight that "on plane" the hull would wobble from side to side as alternate chines became airborn. Very unstable. Still pounded and was extremely wet in a head sea.
    Hi Ron
    Do you have any pictures to share?
    Any other comments about other aspects of handling etc?
    Thanks
    Wayne
    Fremantle
    West Australia