Thread: What's it worth? Rockwell bandsaw

Default What's it worth? Rockwell bandsaw

I've been limping along with one of the "legendary" Delta 16" (28-560) three-wheel bandsaws (28-560) for the past few years. Its not too awful as long as the stock is rather thin, and the blades break before they can dull . Resawing is an adventure with feed rates approaching 2"/minute for 4" stock, and likely to waste a lot of wood between the saw and the planing needed to clean up the saw marks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've found a Rockwell 14" with enclosed base, and 6" riser pictured above. The owner is asking US$500. I've seen postings on woodworking sites that state that I should be able to find a good saw for US$300-400, but most of what I have found is junk. For those of you who have such a saw, would you consider this a fair price if you needed to replace your saw?
    dave boling

I teleported home one night
    With Ron and Sid and Meg.
    Ron stole Meggie's heart away
    And I got Sidney's leg.
    -- Douglas Adams

Default Re: What's it worth? Rockwell bandsaw

$500 is fair, assuming that it's not beat to hell. That's a very good, versatile saw.
    You'll probably need to tune it up a bit, and I'd replace the blade guides with Carter roller bearings. I wish that I'd not sold mine when I got my 20" Rockwell..... But that's another story....
    You might find one for less $, but then again......
    I have done a couple of threads on bandsaw tune up here...... I think the most recent was the one I did for Plessner last year sometime.....
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

Unless it's in really nice condition I'd probably offer $400 but it might be one of those cases where the extra is worth it for the quality and getting it now over waiting and waiting and hoping something comes up that might save you $200. I have a 14" delta knockoff that I bought new for $400 a few years ago and I'm quite happy with it, but I'm sure the rockwell is much better made.

$500, depending on where you are, is top of the line assuming it is good condition and no issues. But, what is it worth to you? I have paid a little above market to get a machine I wanted because it was worth it me. Where I am the quality old cast iron machines are hard to find and it's often a buy it quick, pay full price or loose it. Sounds like you may be in the same boat. I rarely think about what I paid for a machine I use a lot and like.

Not to high jack the thread, but I can't wait to get rid of the screaming roller bearing guides on mine. I hate them! Any kind of block, be it cool blocks, steel, wood, ect provides 10 time of more area and they don't scream at you. And if you look at the Carter site and the bigger guides, they even say the blocks are better.

PS Just realized we live on the same river and shop the same market are. Thats about as good a price as you will find around here. As you know they are rather rare here. I do know where one is in the Cullman area. Might be the same saw come to think of it. I think that is what he was asking. If it is the same fellow I just bought something from him last week and he takes excellent care of his machines.
    Jeff
    Kudzu Craft Skin boats
    SoF boat kits, supplies and plans

Nothing wrong with that model of saw. If it's in as good shape as the foto makes it appear, I'd pay $500 for it. We currently have a MiniMax 16" saw that we do resaw and straight cuts with. For many years, though, a saw like this was the only bandsaw in the shop. It's not heavy-duty, but it is capable. And it's THE most common bandsaw in the U.S. Lots of parts and upgrade availability. I like it so much that I kept it and outfitted it with a narrow blade for curvy/swurvy cuts. You'll find it a huge improvement over the 3-wheel toy.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I got a Rockwell that size for $50 but it was an estate sale.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    Not to high jack the thread, but I can't wait to get rid of the screaming roller bearing guides on mine. I hate them! Any kind of block, be it cool blocks, steel, wood, ect provides 10 time of more area and they don't scream at you. And if you look at the Carter site and the bigger guides, they even say the blocks are better.
    Not to highjack the thread, but....
    If your bearings are screaming, you need to tune up your saw, and set the guides correctly.
    10 times the area is 10 times (More actually) the friction, and 10 times the heat associated with friction, and the corresponding loss of performance, and life of the blade (Not to mention the stress that it introduces to the whole rest of the machine).

$500 is a fair price and about as high as I would go on it. That riser alone would set you back about $150 for a new one.
    Try for $400 - $450 unless the price has already been predickered for your shopping convenience.
    Enclosed stand is nice.

If in 5 or 10 years if you sell it you'll probably get your money back unless the world has run out of wood, which means you'll get nothing for it.

I'd grab it.
    basil

Many thanks for the information. Recommended blades for general use or resawing with this machine?
    dave boling

I teleported home one night
    With Ron and Sid and Meg.
    Ron stole Meggie's heart away
    And I got Sidney's leg.
    -- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by daveboling View Post
    Many thanks for the information. Recommended blades for general use or resawing with this machine?
    1/2" 4Tpi hook for general stuff. 6Tpi for stock 2" thick and under, if you want a finer cut. 1/2" 4Tpi skip for resawing, or one of the VP blades from Timberwolf or the like. Any wider a blade and you're pretty much just asking the saw to work harder. That said...... If you're going to be straight line ripping a whole lot of stock, and you are properly tuned up, a 3/4" VP blade is nice..... But that's about maxing that machine out, especially with the riser block.

3/32"X10"+X 5' Mahogany resawn using a 1/2" 4Tpi hook tooth blade. [IMG][/IMG]

The same board next to one of it's mates, sawn side next to planed side. (Better lighting on this one)

That's a good saw, but I wouldn't pay that much for it. I bought a used Delta, which I believe to be a better saw, for $200. However, if it's in top condition, with no issues and is tuned up nicely with a 1.5 HP motor, then it would probably be worth it for the lack of hassle factor. It'd have to be a good one.

John

I'm with John above. I think it's a bit high. $500 is definitely the top of the price range for 1960's tool. You are getting the riser, which is useful if you need one, and not if you don't. The riser will have you buying longer blades which will cost a bit more. If it is really in pristine condition, with a top of the line motor (watch out for a crappy motor... they came with a variety of motors) and it has good aftermarket guides (e.g. Carters) you could pay that much and feel like you got a fair deal, if not a steal. Don't be surprised to see the same item (Rockwell, Delta or Rockwell/Delta) come up fairly often on Craigslist in the $300-$400 range.

I find a lot of 14 inch saws come up around here, but very few 18 inch and up. I have the Rockwell 14 inch with the gearbox in it, so the saw can be run down to 30 FPM. I paid 300 bucks for it about 8 years ago. If you find there is a scarcity of used bandsaws in your area... buy it. If you have been searching for a while and nothing comes up, well... go for it. You will, of course, come across the buy of the century immediately after you buy that one.... but you can always sell that Rockwell.

I've owned that same saw for about 35 years. It is very reliable. Easy to rebuild when it needs it. I did put a 1 hp motor in it about twenty years ago. I like it and most likely will never sell it. I have bought,sold and in some cases still own eight other band saws but this one stays.

Here is the US Lee Vally link for costs of Carter stuff & 105" blades.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/ind...?cat=1%2c41036
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Malcolm Jardine View Post
    ..... If you find there is a scarcity of used bandsaws in your area... buy it. If you have been searching for a while and nothing comes up, well... go for it.....
    Turns out Dave and I are in the same general area and yes there is a real shortage of good machinery around here. 14" saws are not something that pops up on Craigslist very often. When they do they are newer imports mostly.

Turns out I saw this saw a couple of weeks ago when I was buying a sander from him. I told him his price was top dollar but the fellow is a pattern maker and took excellent care of the two machines I looked at.
    Jeff
    Kudzu Craft Skin boats
    SoF boat kits, supplies and plans

i've gotta agree with Kudzu. it does seem a little high for a used saw, but i've been looking for a good used bandsaw on our local CL and they're not very common. if it's in good shape, it's worth it.