Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 175

Thread: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    13,491

    Default Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    For a party that ostentatiously ( and supposedly ) champions the military, more utter hypocrisy:

    http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...-jobs-bill/?hp


    Note the last couple of paragraphs- the bill was paid for. Even McCain voted against it!?
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

    Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    So following the rules is not ok?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15,279

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    they wouldn't be getting real jobs

    and were now exploiting a technicality to deny thousands of veterans a shot at getting hired as police officers, firefighters and parks workers, among other things.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    13,491

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    he said the bill violated a cap on spending agreed to by Congress last year. The bill’s sponsor, Patty Murray of Washington, said that shouldn’t matter, since the bill’s cost was fully offset by new revenues.

    The rules were not broken. There is no new spending. Meanwhile, it is a billion dollars, barely a rounding error in today's budget. The hypocrisy charge stands.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

    Next election, vote against every Republican, for every office, at every level. Be patriotic.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    16,194

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    It’s unbelievable that even after more than a decade of war, many Republicans still will not acknowledge that the treatment of our veterans is a cost of war.
    It's a cryin' shame that Mitt's mouth is stealing all the headlines and air time because this is the kind of thing that could REALLY put it to the whole red machine if it got enough coverage.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    17,824

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm
    For a party that ostentatiously ( and supposedly ) champions the military, more utter hypocrisy....

    Note the last couple of paragraphs- the bill was paid for. Even McCain voted against it!?
    Talk is cheap.
    A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the topic.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    17,824

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm
    The rules were not broken. There is no new spending.
    Correct. Maybe BrianW will attempt to explain the GOP position to the soldiers he is serving in Afghanistan.
    A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the topic.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    here
    Posts
    15,730

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    So following the rules is not ok?
    What rules?

    You mean the rules they made up so that they can do this sort of thing and pretend they're just following the rules?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    17,824

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    A vote of 58 to 40 is not sufficient to pass legislation in the Senate. Neither is a vote of 59 to 41.

    Madness.
    A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the topic.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,703

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    They have no problem sending them off to die in a foreign country but god forbid we help these folks when they return. They should be ashamed of themselves. It's utter bullsh!!t. They know if they had passed this bill it would be seen as a win for Obama and we just can't have that. Especially in an election year.
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com


    'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins, Co
    Posts
    5,462

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    I just read some backstory on this issue because usually there is a lot spin when something gets posted in the bilge, esp from the NYT.

    And every single source I looked at (about 5 others) including WP and Stars and Stripes (usually very unpartisan) all came to the same conclusion.

    What a bunch of (_!_)holes, and I agree.
    In fact, if you can saw a penciled line, apply glue, drive nails, and bring a modest measure of patience to the task, you can build and launch a smart and able craft in as few as 40 work hours. You need not be driven by lack of tools, materials, skills, or time to abandon in frustration a project you conceived in a spirit of pleasurable anticipation.

    -Dynamite Payson

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    17,824

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals
    They know if they had passed this bill it would be seen as a win for Obama and we just can't have that. Especially in an election year.
    Never forget their stated #1 priority.
    A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the topic.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    The rules were not broken. There is no new spending. Meanwhile, it is a billion dollars, barely a rounding error in today's budget. The hypocrisy charge stands.
    eterans won’t be getting a new, billion-dollar jobs program, not from this Senate. Republicans on Wednesday afternoon blocked a vote on the Veterans Job Corps Bill after Jeff Sessions of Alabama raised a point of order — he said the bill violated a cap on spending agreed to by Congress last year. The bill’s sponsor, Patty Murray of Washington, said that shouldn’t matter, since the bill’s cost was fully offset by new revenues. She said Mr. Sessions and his party colleagues had been furiously generating excuses to oppose the bill, and were now exploiting a technicality to deny thousands of veterans a shot at getting hired as police officers, firefighters and parks workers, among other things.
    The wording suggests that even the bill sponsor admits it violates the rule, just that it shouldn't matter.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    17,824

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Tell it to the troops.
    A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the topic.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Correct. Maybe BrianW will attempt to explain the GOP position to the soldiers he is serving in Afghanistan.
    They're used to following rules. So while perhaps disappointed, they would understand.

    You can stand beside me, and give your point of view too.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Finger Lakes,NY
    Posts
    5,876

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    “Instead of meeting us halfway, we have been met with resistance. Instead of saying yes to the nearly 1 million unemployed veterans, it seems some on the other side have spent the last week and a half seeking any way to say no,” Murray said.
    Even McCain voted against it!?
    Yet, being as the US Gov. has paid for him since the day of his birth, and he is a gazzilionair-he still gets HIS pension from the military.
    Disclosed sepLt. Cmdr. John McCain as a POW in Hanoi after being shot down and injured, now an Arizona Senator and Republican presidential nominee-has a lifetime pension income of(2007) $58,358 per year that went untaxed.

    Monday, McCain’s staff identified the retirement benefit to The Times' Ralph Vartabedian as a “disability pension” and said the candidate “was retired as disabled because of his limited body movements due to injuries as a POW.”
    100% service connected of course.
    The 71-year-old pointed out he had recently hiked the Grand Canyon with a son.
    Can our returning Veterans with 100% do that? Now THAT'S a true hypocrite. Donate that to our Veterans..Grrr

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    17,824

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    My point of view is that Patty Murray was saying the bill did not violate the agreement on the spending cap because the bill's cost was offset by new revenues.

    So BrianW-- put aside the Senate's BS arbitrary rules for a moment. Do you think the bill is good on its merits or not?

    How does one explain to the troops that "Rules are rules, sorry for your luck?"
    A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the topic.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    It seems Congress did pass some legislation last year...

    Last year, Congress passed sweeping veterans jobs legislation that created new vocational rehabilitation services, a new mid-career retraining program for veterans and tax credits for businesses that employ former servicemembers.
    It was one of the few pieces of legislation make it through Congress, which has been mired in partisan gridlock for the last two years.
    http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans...-vote-1.189978

    ...which negates the theory that they won't pass such bills just to spite Obama.

    Also, 5 Republicans did vote for this Bill. Which negates the theory it was a straight party line vote.

    Hmm... read a different news source, and ge a different perspective. Who'd a thunk it?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    14,750

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Veterans already get a hiring preference with Fed jobs. 5 points out of 100. I have had that for 45 years. Most state jobs also have Vet points. What's this bill gonna do?




  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Great South Bay, Long Island, NY
    Posts
    35,876

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    What's this bill gonna do?
    Nothing, for now. It's been shelved.

    The plan was to hire vets to plant trees.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    here
    Posts
    15,730

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    It seems Congress did pass some legislation last year...



    http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans...-vote-1.189978

    ...which negates the theory that they won't pass such bills just to spite Obama.

    Also, 5 Republicans did vote for this Bill. Which negates the theory it was a straight party line vote.

    Hmm... read a different news source, and ge a different perspective. Who'd a thunk it?
    Still trying to pick pepper out of the fly poop, aren't you?

    The Republicans killed a paid-for bill for increasing employment among veterans.

    Spin that. Or don't.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15,279

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    as brian said the vets won't mind being unemployed

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Great South Bay, Long Island, NY
    Posts
    35,876

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Still trying to pick pepper out of the fly poop, aren't you?
    Rofl!

    Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    The Republicans killed a paid-for bill for increasing employment among veterans.
    "Paid-for" has nothing to do with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Spin that. Or don't.
    You spin it enough for everyone.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    14,750

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Still trying to pick pepper out of the fly poop, aren't you?

    The Republicans killed a paid-for bill for increasing employment among veterans.

    Spin that. Or don't.
    At least there are 40 of them that honor their commitment to cut spending while 58 ignore their own promise. The TP will take care of those 58. LJ, it is not paid for unless you consider spending money you predict you will have providing everything goes as planned. Since when has that been a paid for bill? OH... never mind we know which party does that, don't we?




  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    Still trying to pick pepper out of the fly poop, aren't you?
    That response usually means I was right.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by wardd View Post
    as brian said the vets won't mind being unemployed
    You do yourself no honor when you misquote people.

    But for the record, I was an unemployed Army vet in 1990, and an unemployed Coast Guard vet in 2004. There's a good chance I know how they feel.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Great South Bay, Long Island, NY
    Posts
    35,876

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    That response usually means I was right.
    Really? I've never read it before. It's usually the other way around.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15,279

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    You do yourself no honor when you misquote people.

    But for the record, I was an unemployed Army vet in 1990, and an unemployed Coast Guard vet in 2004. There's a good chance I know how they feel.
    i was an unemplyed vet too for a few months

    somebody out of work that wants to work will gladly take a job planting trees if it pays a living wage

    being out of work suks, that's how it feels

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,703

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Nobody seemed real concerned about deficits when they started sending troops over there in 2003.
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com


    'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    14,750

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by wardd View Post

    being out of work suks, that's how it feels
    Obama should have thought of that when he was elected to Change, got the Nobel, and before he and the free spending Congress wasted all that trillion on a pile of rocks and the "good War" in Afghanistan. How many trees can you plant for a trillion? In fact he can cut the DOD budget anytime now that he wants this Vet bill, but he will not.... why? , might lose some MIC votes, that's why.




  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,703

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    I know it doesn't fit your narrative but he has already cut dod spending. Considerably.
    Tom
    http://www.ccmanuals.com


    'Don't fart, and then point at the dog'

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Beautiful Finger Lakes,NY
    Posts
    5,876

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    "1 Million unemployed."I think it is the discrimination to our returning Veterans. This Bill give's it the "We don't want them either ' look from our own government. Not so much from the Federal contractors and such, but also in the privet sector. This Bill would have given more access to privet sector jobs training. It is documented that they don't want PTSD Veterans.There are many suffering from it. Here is a good article.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1635048.html
    Do Employers Discriminate Against Veterans? Veterans are respected, but deeply misunderstood, according to a recent survey conducted by The Mission Continues, a national veterans service nonprofit, and J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions.

    One of the reasons for the disconnect lies in the fact that many people maintain the perception that veterans return home with problems such as post traumatic stress disorder. The reality is that when it comes to mental health issues, about 20 percent of veterans experience some level of PTSD. Yet the stereotype persists, and consequently, returning veterans struggle to find jobs and are often times forced to deal with employers who view them as potential liabilities.
    Here is one of the comments. I agree completely.
    Battlefield PTSD, financial meltdown PTSD; what a combination!
    I developed PTSD right after the preventable 2008 financial meltdown. I suspect that many Americans who have been foreclosed upon and who are also unemployed and lost 50% of their savings and have to pee into the little cup of humbleness before collecting a pay check; are close to PTSD classified.

    Where are the jobs congress; there is a pent-up demand and a bunch of willing and able workers/taxpayers ready to go.

















    [/QUOTE]

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks USA
    Posts
    7,397

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Just think, someday those cynical, mean-spirited, ungrateful bastards will have a grandchild on their knee, who will ask, “And what did you do to help your country, Granpaw?”
    And they can proudly answer, “I screwed thousands of returning veterans to help with our Number One Priority--messing up the President.”


  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    14,492

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Thank you, Shang!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    14,750

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    I know it doesn't fit your narrative but he has already cut dod spending. Considerably.
    He didn't cut shinola. The TP forced Congress to agree to it to prevent the BBA being passed. Next time around it will be passed. I know you do not take that seriously now, but you will.




  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    16,194

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    The TP forced Congress to agree to it to prevent the BBA being passed. Next time around it will be passed. I know you do not take that seriously now, but you will.
    It just dawned on me why you sound so stupid - you're tea party through and through.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Just think, someday those cynical, mean-spirited, ungrateful bastards will have a grandchild on their knee, who will ask, “And what did you do to help your country, Granpaw?”
    And they can proudly answer, “I screwed thousands of returning veterans to help with our Number One Priority--messing up the President.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    Thank you, Shang!
    Really?

    You both glossed over the fact they passed a similar bill last year? So in fact, it's not true Republicans will screw vets just to get at Obama.

    I guess if you say it enough, it becomes true in your mind, no matter the facts.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks USA
    Posts
    7,397

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by pefjr View Post
    He didn't cut shinola. The TP forced Congress to agree to it to prevent the BBA being passed. Next time around it will be passed. I know you do not take that seriously now, but you will.
    Junior, you are not making sense.

    "...The TP forced Congress to agree to it to prevent the BBA being passed..."

    Bedtime for Bonzo.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    16,194

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Junior, you are not making sense.

    "...The TP forced Congress to agree to it to prevent the BBA being passed..."

    Bedtime for Bonzo.
    Yesterday he was ranting that Ron Paul was "the only true LIBERAL!"

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks USA
    Posts
    7,397

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Really?

    You both glossed over the fact they passed a similar bill last year? So in fact, it's not true Republicans will screw vets just to get at Obama.

    I guess if you say it enough, it becomes true in your mind, no matter the facts.
    Post a source for this, or shut up.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Post a source for this, or shut up.
    Ah, a perfect example of the liberal mind. He missed the link (in post #18) and needs a conservative to show him the way, but is rude and condescending.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Let me make it easy for you Shang...

    http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans...-vote-1.189978

    ...it's in the last two paragraphs.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    14,750

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Junior, you are not making sense.

    "...The TP forced Congress to agree to it to prevent the BBA being passed..."

    Bedtime for Bonzo.
    Balanced Budget Amendment, but you knew this, so had to get ya hominey in the pot somehow.




  44. #44

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    This message is hidden because BrianW is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because pefjr is on your ignore list

    Yawn

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    662

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Tell it to the troops.
    I will. I spend a lot of time at the local Navy base.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Silence from the angry crowd. Turns out the Republicans aren't all evil, and that just didn't fit the stereotype they were trying to project.

    Now, nothing.

    Okay.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    21,513

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    It's a cryin' shame that Mitt's mouth is stealing all the headlines and air time because this is the kind of thing that could REALLY put it to the whole red machine if it got enough coverage.
    Blame the media: the choose what to report. I think they could take some time out of the secret tape that most of us have probably memorized by now.

    This election vote for the party that believes in Evolution, Climate Change, a woman's right to maker her health decisions, raising the minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, more people having health insurance is a good thing, and thinks voting should be made easier to do.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    21,513

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    A vote of 58 to 40 is not sufficient to pass legislation in the Senate. Neither is a vote of 59 to 41.

    Madness.

    It is my hope that some serious effort will be made by the dems before this campaign is over to point this out. Maybe Clinton can do a commercial putting some facts on the table, such as Senator Byrd had to be medically transported on to the senate floor to make 60 votes to break a filibuster and crack that widely accept myth that the dems had the votes to do anyting.

    It also needs to be explained in simple ways that the Bush policies that got us into this mess are still in place because congress refused to let them be changed. First by the filibuster in the senate, then by a Republican majority in the house.

    I'd like to see someone ask on national tv exactly what policies Obama has initiated and gotten into law that have added to our debt, and how much they've added. What Obama has added to the debt/deficit is dwarfed by what keeping the Bush tax rates in place have added.

    I'd also like to see any such ads "certified as factually correct with nothing taken out of context."

    The media did this nation a huge disservice when it screamed out that Obama had a filibuster proof majority when it did not really exist. Yes, he got 60 votes very rarely, and that required Byrd's presence.

    This election vote for the party that believes in Evolution, Climate Change, a woman's right to maker her health decisions, raising the minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, more people having health insurance is a good thing, and thinks voting should be made easier to do.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,489

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Really?

    You both glossed over the fact they passed a similar bill last year? So in fact, it's not true Republicans will screw vets just to get at Obama.

    I guess if you say it enough, it becomes true in your mind, no matter the facts.
    First off, I'm not part of some "angry crowd" or however it was you termed it in post 46, everyday I wake up I'm actually happier than the day before, but maybe that's just me, eternal optimist that I am.

    However, please tell me how you see justification in blocking the furtherance of benefits for returning Vets, to simply indicate that they got some legislation passed for them last year should suffice, doesn't seem to take into account the increase in Vets, injuries and needs that would naturally occur with an additional calendar year. Your thoughts.


  50. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    21,513

    Default Re: Republicans block veteran jobs bill

    Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    They have no problem sending them off to die in a foreign country but god forbid we help these folks when they return. They should be ashamed of themselves. It's utter bullsh!!t. They know if they had passed this bill it would be seen as a win for Obama and we just can't have that. Especially in an election year.
    IN today's world, "supporting the troops" means flying an American flag (made in China) on the antenna of a car made in Japan.


    We really need to reflect on how supportive of our troops we have not been. This is not unique: how long did it take us to give medical assistance to the first responders at ground zero? My ex governor was the head of the EPA. The Bush administration got caught changing EPA reports as to air quality at ground zero. She resigned to "spend more time with her family"

    Powell, who everyone holds in such esteem, should have resigned as soon as he claimed to have been lied to about what he told the UN.

    This is where party loyalty drives people to remain silent when the country needs them to speak out.

    My view of "supporting the troops" is that we only send them when there is a good reason. We send them in sufficient number to protect each other's back while they do the job they've been sent to do. We provide them with proper equipment (Remember that $87 million dollar bill for body armor? Did they ever get the armor?). This is designed to keep them as safe as possible. Then, when the fighting is over, we should meet all their medical, including mental, needs. We should also make sure their families aren't losing their homes back in the states: that's something that's received very little attention.

    The reason the Republicans seem so callous to our troops is that most troops are "poor" folk trying to find a way to improve their opportunities. With a few rare exceptions, these are all someone else's kids. And they're probably part of the 47% Romney talks about.

    This election vote for the party that believes in Evolution, Climate Change, a woman's right to maker her health decisions, raising the minimum wage, equal pay for equal work, more people having health insurance is a good thing, and thinks voting should be made easier to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •