Thread: who is the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

Default who is the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

is it non government?
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Default Re: who is the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

I know that you have internet access, Phillip. I know that you know how to use Justask.com..... I know that you know how to search using Google......
    What kind of crap are you trying to stir up this time?
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrleft8 View Post
    I know that you have internet access, Phillip. I know that you know how to use Justask.com..... I know that you know how to search using Google......
    What kind of crap are you trying to stir up this time?
    if I go off and ask google quietly, then no one will get the benifit of an open question... simple

do you know what the port authority is?

BTW... I'm not stiring anything
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Since I live in neither New York nor New Jersey I don't care.

As an Arkansan, what prompts your interest?
    Older whiskey, younger wimmin and ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Since I live in neither New York nor New Jersey I don't care.

As an Arkansan, what prompts your interest?
    just curious

They are the people who run the Port of New York.

There is nothing unusual in a Port Authority being autonomous; the Harwich Haven Authority, round the corner from me, is a Trust Port and reports to nobody except itself.

Politicians and the sort of "businessmen" who make money out of "public private partnerships" hate them, but they work just fine.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    They are the people who run the Port of New York.

There is nothing unusual in a Port Authority being autonomous; the Harwich Haven Authority, round the corner from me, is a Trust Port and reports to nobody except itself.

Politicians and the sort of "businessmen" who make money out of "public private partnerships" hate them, but they work just fine.
    it sounds like a government organization... it's not then?

Phillip, it took all of 5 seconds for me to get to this place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Au...and_New_Jersey

The Port Authority is jointly headed by the governors of New York and New Jersey. Each governor, with the approval of his or her state senate, appoints six members to the Board of Commissioners, who serve overlapping six-year terms without pay.[1] As of March 2012, the appointed commissioners are as follows:[22]
    • David Samson (NJ, Chairman)
    • Scott H. Rechler (NY, Vice-Chairman)
    • Virginia S. Bauer (NJ)
    • H. Sidney Holmes III (NY)
    • Jeffrey H. Lynford (NY)
    • Jeffrey A. Moerdler (NY)
    • Raymond M. Pocino (NJ)
    • Anthony J. Sartor, Ph.D., P.E., P.P. (NJ)
    • William "Pat" Schuber, Esq., BA, JD (NJ)
    • Henry R. Silverman (NY)
    • David S. Steiner (NJ)

Meetings of the Board of Commissioners are public. Members of the public may address the Board at these meetings, subject to a prior registration process via email.[23] Public records of the Port Authority may be requested via the Office of the Secretary according to an internal Freedom of Information policy which is intended to be consistent with and similar to the state Freedom of Information policies of both New York and New Jersey.[24]
    A governor can veto actions by the commissioners from the same state.[25] Members of the Board of Commissioners are typically business titans and political power brokers who maintain close relationships with their respective Governors. On February 3, 2011, Former New Jersey Attorney General David Samson was named new chairman of the Port Authority.[26]
    Financially, the Port Authority has no power to tax and does not receive tax money from any local or state governments. Instead, it operates on the revenues it makes from its rents, tolls, fees, and facilities.[27]
    An Executive Director is appointed by the Board of Commissioners to deal with day-to-day operations and to execute the Port Authority's policies. Patrick J. Foye became Executive Director on November 1, 2011. Prior to joining the Port Authority, he served as Deputy Secretary for Economic Development for Governor Andrew M. Cuomo.[28]
    "Opinions you like, presented to you and others who share your opinions, from someone whose opinion you already know"
    Steven Colbert, commenting on the launch of the Sarah Palin channel

It's owned by the State of New York and the State of New Jersey with the permission of the Federal Government.

Does not need to make a profit, does not need to rely on taxes, because it raises money from rents and from port dues and landing fees - remember it also runs the airports.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

He's too lazy, Keith. You can lead a mule to water but you can't make him drink.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 09-11-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Keith beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    if I go off and ask google quietly, then no one will get the benifit of an open question... simple

do you know what the port authority is?

BTW... I'm not stiring anything
    "I'm not stiring(sic)anything"

Wheeeeeeeeeeee !!! I call BS!!!!!!!!

It's owned by the State of New York and the State of New Jersey with the permission of the Federal Government.

Does not need to make a profit, does not need to rely on taxes, because it raises money from rents and from port dues and landing fees - remember it also runs the airports.
    thank you for an honest answer

I see now that I asked the question poorly... I should have asked WHAT is the port authority and not who

I see now that I asked the question poorly... I should have asked WHAT is the port authority and not who
    No, you should have looked it up to "educate yourself"!
    We don't need you to educate us, thank you very much!

Iq.... 41
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

You guys who didn't want to answer, didn't have to. You could have just moved on to another thread, rather than attack Phillip.

Asking questions is not against the rules. Harassing members is...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    You guys who didn't want to answer, didn't have to. You could have just moved on to another thread, rather than attack Phillip.

Asking questions is not against the rules. Harassing members is...
    they started doing it last night and I started hitting back... one of them then complained (I'm sure I hit a nerve) and I got a warning from scot...rather childish of course but I feel obligated to hit back and so it goes

Philip did not ask a silly question; port authorities are very odd creatures, and anyone who has not wondered about who owns them and whom they report to lacks a proper level of curiosity about the nations that we live in.

US port authorities do generally have owners (towns and state governments) but British ones often own themselves - Trust Ports - a state of affairs that bugs some politicians no end. New York is unusual because it extends into two states - NY and NJ - who have agreed to co-operate. At the opposite extreme we have Los Angeles and Long Beach who fight like cat and dog though they are both in California!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    No, you should have looked it up to "educate yourself"!
    We don't need you to educate us, thank you very much!
    do you ban questions above decks or do you just ban questions from non lefties

Philip did not ask a silly question; port authorities are very odd creatures, and anyone who has not wondered about who owns them and whom they report to lacks a proper level of curiosity about the nations that we live in.

US port authorities do generally have owners (towns and state governments) but British ones often own themselves - Trust Ports - a state of affairs that bugs some politicians no end. New York is unusual because it extends into two states - NY and NJ - who have agreed to co-operate. At the opposite extreme we have Los Angeles and Long Beach who fight like cat and dog though they are both in California!
    I actually did not know that the term 'port authority' went anywhere else... I never have encountered a port authority before and I think it sounds odd for a very expensive bit of property should belong to a separate government entity... I wanted clarification from the general populace here. I could have looked it up but am sure that I would get a lot of un helpful information in the form of minutia and peoples’ names... not what I wanted to know

adding, profit is ALWAYS invisioned by all larger forms of governments... they have given themselves permission to call their revenue streams "non profit" but don't you believe it

So, if I understand correctly, the Port Authority is:

A group of wealthy businessmen who serve autonomously excepting the Governor's veto right, for free. Because Charity. These individuals hold complete control over all usage of the state's most valuable waterside real estate, including points of commercial access, and all other valuable private on-water real estate in their jurisdiction. They also run the till when it's time to decide what to charge all those renters. The public has no say in who they are or what they do.

Sounds legit to me.

^ more like bespoke suits.
    Xanthorrea

...BTW... I'm not stiring anything
    Yer always good for a laugh! Thanks, I needed that.
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )