Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12526162
Results 2,136 to 2,170 of 2170

Thread: JIM, an 18 foot canoe yawl.

Default Re: JIM, an 18 foot canoe yawl.

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing that all put together. What's that going to do to your combined CE, have you done the calculations?

Thanks Hugh I have not done any calculations but from a purely arbitrary point of view it makes sense .

After over five hours of windward sailing in varying conditions Jim did exhibit considerable weather helm and a lack of quick tacking ability which I’m used to in other dinghy’s.
    A Gaff Rig with a self tacking jib would solve some of these issues and also make her more weatherly while racing single handed.
    As you would be aware a gaff rig is superior in spilling or dumping gusts of wind compared to a lug rig, keeping in mind the Tumbulgum Passage is a river race with substantial hills and Hinterland mountains affecting wind strength.

I could not have completed this course without crew, while the Pathfinder managed quite well sigle handing with his gaff rig.

Despite saying I wouldn’t the new mast drew me in , and I Spent a few hours trying to reshape and sand the funky mast while also reshaping the oversized bolsters.

Tomorrow will throw on some varnish and splice Dyneema shrouds fit it all with some dead eyes which are fortunately left over from Wee Barkie’s Rig

NICE! Sounds like a great plan. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    As you would be aware a gaff rig is superior in spilling or dumping gusts of wind compared to a lug rig
    I'd be interested in hearing more about this--I'm assuming you are talking specifically about a boomed lugsail? My boomless standing lug's ability to spill gusts through automatic sail twist seems very very good to me, but I have virtually zero experience with gaff rigs.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing more about this--I'm assuming you are talking specifically about a boomed lugsail? My boomless standing lug's ability to spill gusts through automatic sail twist seems very very good to me, but I have virtually zero experience with gaff rigs.

Tom
    Yes Jim has a balanced lug sail. Truthfully my experience in both lug and gaff is limited.

Also judging by past experiences aboard my Ness boat rigged with a BL I went swimming far to often.

It would be interesting in hearing from an expert in both rigs.

Below Turning this funky mast into something more fashionable
    FF89C4EC-51D8-441B-B04C-30D39EAA516C.jpg

Finally back aboard Jim again after a family crisis which subsequently led to a small building project taking up most of my time.

Just finished trialling a quickly build motor bracket running a 44 Mini Kota electric outboard aboard Jim. The trial went reasonably well although I found in order to achieve a reasonable speed of around 3.5 kn I had to run the motor in the high throttle setting.

Also managed to fit a second rowing station recently after finding the original fitted station was located to far aft for solo rowing. I was happily surprised with the rowing results despite Jim’s considerable weight .

6FF434D1-1BAC-44EF-8B80-1407D1BBA808.jpg

Nice to see her on the water Tom - and looks like a gorgeous day
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Nice to see her on the water Tom - and looks like a gorgeous day
    It sure is ,planning to head up to Manly tomorrow and poke her nose out into Moreton Bay.

Sure am glad I decided to check the trailer bearings ,I doubt if the one side would have made 10 k they where completely dry and in pieces.

2117E324-FD21-4ACB-93CB-61B85FFBD110.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley;3483640

JIM is a canoe yawl , a boat a little different from the Iain Oughtred double enders I read so much about here. How she will perform compared to them I really have very little idea but perhaps somewhere in the middle of the pack

[IMG
    http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282/9443996/24163537/403498170.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.selwayfisher.com/DoubleEs.htm#JIM
    Judging by our little foray into Moreton Bay today I can assure you she will be most likely be somewhere near the front of the pack. Wish you could have shared today’s sail with us Peter.

Departing Manly Boat Harbour that has the distinction of being the largest in Australia for Green Island .
    Winds where typically light at that time of the morning as we started well behind our little Wooden Boat Association fleet .Approaching Green Island we ventured int shallowing waters picking our course in order to try and close the 2 mile gap separating us from the fleet.
    After rounding the top of the Island with the sails slapping and the crew rapidly tiring rowing against the tide, we gratefully accepted a tow from the accompanying power yacht .

Our Dugong lookout with Green Island to port.

936E2622-996B-4062-B32D-0B0AED21E19E.jpg

Jim full tilt under tow.

2F4FE057-24F9-41D9-9980-8D25143DC03C.jpg

Our lunch stop anchored of the beach the little modern Gaffer would be the boat to beat .She took of like a pocket rocket with dinghy in tow.

1DE8896F-EE54-48F4-B3E2-DA1957C572B2.jpg
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-24-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Beautiful weather, I am sure Peter would have loved to be aboard with you !!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Beautiful weather, I am sure Peter would have loved to be aboard with you !!

Rick
    Your not wrong there however his spirit lives on in his accomplishment and I consider myself to be lucky to be part of that.

49C33E68-9CD5-4407-8A7F-7C2F6202C065.jpg

Our little fleet at anchor.

Attachment 84682

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Tom
    Reading back my Apologies for neglecting your response and questions all these month.

Yes Jim has a boomed Lugsail .

Spilling Wind on a Gaff Rig is normally accomplished by dropping the peak halyard which scandalises (de powers) the main sail.

My plans for converting Jim to a gaff rig are on the back burner for the time being.

Firstly there is the CB issue which does appear to not drop properly again once raised while underway, this was undoubtedly one of the problems leading to the lack of weather ability experienced previously , while racing the Pathfinder..

My other consideration is to add a removable bow sprite and running a furling jib for light weather.

Has this been done successfully on similar designed and rigged craft such as Jim???
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-25-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Just finished the Bribie Island Vintage Regatta where we encountered near perfect sailing conditions .This event has been running for 22 years and attracts a mixed fleet of around 70 vintage power and sailing craft.
    It was my first opportunity to fully assess Jim’s capabilities and I’m happy to report she excelled all around .

On our run down the Straights she easily passed a 6 m Jarcat and managed to catch the dispersed fleet .

Overnighting at the Bribie Marina I had a comfortable night sleeping aboard Jim.

The following morning I got a chance to single hand her in blustery conditions and found her easily manageable .

B1349C3F-A7B7-48E3-B5CB-690DEB60248C.jpg51B42E78-CB8C-4604-B82C-BCD461936010.jpg

Since Jim represents not just a pretty boat to be used at the odd raid ,but will also be raced occasionally I formulated a plan to increase her sail plan with the addition of a jib running on a removable pole .
    The plan includes adding two shrouds if required and the jib for a pinch more weather ability and additional power for those light days .

Below are her designers comments regarding my proposal.

C337B43D-68E9-4385-ADAC-C16F510775A7.jpg

Finally allocated some time to paint Jim. Spent most of the last week sanding and priming Jim. The inside of the boat received a long overdue coat using Norglass enamel. Then I waited and waited for another delivery of hull paint that eventually arrived today having traveled 12 days from Sydney .
    DA8079C6-D520-4308-831E-9D777332A38E.jpg
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-10-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Finished painting Jim using a roller and she is looking good.

2F2666AB-6EA8-4980-817D-FDB40D21EB78.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-17-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Looks terrific Tom, great colour
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I agree - super job.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Awesome! And the color combo is great!

Looks brilliant Tom!!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Lovely. It's great to see Jim being taken care of. And I agree. The colors look great!
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Finally allocated some time to paint Jim. Spent most of the last week sanding and priming Jim. The inside of the boat received a long overdue coat using Norglass enamel. Then I waited and waited for another delivery of hull paint that eventually arrived today having traveled 12 days from Sydney .
    DA8079C6-D520-4308-831E-9D777332A38E.jpg
    The final product turned out lovely but this shade of blue primer caught my eye. Might be just the color scheme if I ever get around to building the Vivier Minahouet that's been renting space in my head for some time...along with two or three others...

I only knew Peter through correspondence but it makes me happy to know JIM carries on.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Finished painting Jim using a roller and she is looking good.

2F2666AB-6EA8-4980-817D-FDB40D21EB78.jpg
    Oh my, that is special. Good work Tom.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Thanks guys .

There where several challenges along the way Peter’s original primer application in order to sail his masterpiece was not sanded prior to Carols decision to paint the boat using a handyman. The amount of sanding required to achieve a reasonable finish was ridiculous
    Then there was the ongoing wet weather ,and additional hic ups such as a a neighbours lawnmower activities during painting followed by a soot shower from a cane burn of in the Tweed valley.

Steve the primer may be misleading as its a light gray. Nellie choice was the Amiralty blue a Norglass Weatherfast Enamel applied with a micro fibre 4mm nap roller.

This seasons sailing Plans for Jim include the Queensland Cruising YC Vintage Regatta , a more extensive cruise into Moreton bay including camping out on Peel Island which housed a former leper’s colony with a possible stopovers at Dalpura Bay on Mcleay Island adjacent to my new house build ,and a short 20 mile ocean Passage crossing the Currumbin to Southport bars.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-17-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looking very nice Tom.
    Well done.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Thanks Gypsie can’t wait for the paint to harden and get her out on the water.

I also repainted changing the colour of the trailer , serviced and added rollers while replacing
    the V shaped bunks with some simple timber rails.

19F9948E-8D6E-4146-8523-04ABB9364334.jpg

Wow, beautiful. Congratulations with that piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik van der Vaart View Post
    Wow, beautiful. Congratulations with that piece of work.
    Thanks Rik now just to allocate some sailing time.

Getting ready to trial the addition of a jib on Jim for the upcoming Vintage Regatta .
    Sporting a removable carbon fibre pole, supported with a dolphin striker and possibly two additional shrouds if required.