Thread: Mutiny on the Bounty

Default Mutiny on the Bounty

The original version with Charles Lawton and Clark Gable came on TCM last night. The host said it cost over 4 million dollars in 1934 to make this film. The ship used in the movie was a complete reproduction of the original "Bounty", built purposely for the film.

This is pretty impressive. Everything about the ship was impressive. So, what ever happened to this ship?

What about the newer version of this movie with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins? What was that "Bounty"? What did it cost?

Hopkins' Capt. Bly was a real SOB, but Lawton's Capt. Bly had such an air of superiority...that look of (I don't know the word)...You just hate him the minute you see him, like a college prof I once had.

Comments, info?

Default Re: Mutiny on the Bounty

I think I remember pairing up with Bounty II when I was crewing aboard the barque Monte Cristo. But that would have been in Seattle in 1969 and I'm not sure that adds up with the facts. That would have been too early for a Mel Gibson movie wouldn't it? Maybe a false memory or something left over from a dream.

Yup. Just checked, the Mel Gibson movie was 1984. So what Bounty replica am I remembering from 1969?

That'd be that bloke who rode Harleys and did Godfather movies. Fell in lust with and married a Tahitian actress on the movie.... um. what's his name... not Orson Welles... um... Marlon Brandflakes... I think
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I believe there was a '60's Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlin Brando. Maybe it was that one.

And, What about Bly's 3500 mile journey in the open boat? Incredible. Then he turns around and sinks his next ship in pursuit of the mutineers. he still makes it back to England to see the men court marshalled.

But whatever happened to him? Was he given command of another ship?

From a wooden boat lover and sailer's point of view, this was a much better movie than the Mel Gibson one. (I haven't seen Brando's) The merciless press gang gathering up the men, telling a young man's wife and newborn baby, "Don't worry, He'll be back in two years. The king needs him." Bly telling the crew how they'll be getting to Tahiti, rounding Cape Horn if fair winds prevail. If not, We'll sail around Africa. As they plotted the voyage on the chart, they get to Cape Horn and the nice straight line becomes a jagged zig-zag, then off to Africa.
    I got a kick out of one of the crew when a Tahitian man brought him a fresh coconut and motioned to him to drink. The crewman said, "It's milk, It's milk! They got cows that lays eggs!

I see after googling it's actually spelled "Bligh", heh heh
    Last edited by Eddiebou; 07-24-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiebou View Post
    They made him governor of New South Wales where there was another mutiny..

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiebou View Post
    He most certainly was; he was made post and given command of several ships - notably HMS Director at the Battle of Camperdown and HMS Glatton at the Battle of Copenhagen - where he was mentioned in despatches by Nelson. He retired as Vice Admiral of the Blue.

What seldom gets a mention is that he was Cook's Navigating Officer.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Cook's Navigating Officer?! I read some of Cook's Journals over the spring and saw no reference to him. Knowing that would have increased my pleasure in reading them. Did he navigate on all the journeys?

Yeah, connected to Cook. Probably one of the greatest navigators of all time Cook was. Bligh was a seaman, very few men, even in his day could have made that small boat voyage successfully. Incredible. Bligh has gone down in history as a maniacal power hungry violent SOB, however looking through his logs (apparently) he had very few floggings in any of his commands, much less the outward trip in HMS Bounty.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Correct. Apparently the sticking point with Fletcher Christian was that Bligh had quite a sarcastic sense of humour.
    Last edited by purri; 07-25-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: grammar
    Xanthorrea

From what I've read I've concluded that while Bligh may have been a bit of a Martinette, he was not the ogre depicted in film and in culture. Christian and his mutineers were more or less whiners, and quite selfish.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

He was hard done by history. Even the mutiny in NSW was unfair, the corrupt Sydney establishment mutinied against every governor from Britain..

Bligh was with Cook on his last voyage. He, Bligh was on watch on the ship when Cook went ashore with some men to confront the natives over some problems. Bligh apparently fired a cannon to add emphasis to the shore party which may have precipitated Cooks murder.

Then "Cook Sandwiches" all round...
    Xanthorrea

And here is his tomb, in a Lambeth Churchyard hard by Lambeth Palace along with the Tradescants, plant collectors.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBBe-Xw1Xtw

I paid a visit last time in London, with a breadfruit bought in the Covent Garden fruit market!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Traddles View Post
    Cook's Navigating Officer?! I read some of Cook's Journals over the spring and saw no reference to him. Knowing that would have increased my pleasure in reading them. Did he navigate on all the journeys?
    Final voyage only, I'm pretty sure.

He really got around.......
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bligh_Reef
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Just had some breadfruit given to me by a local (Kanchanaburi)... and some Mangosteens. Now, those Mangosteens. Yum.
    Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Hi Guys- Yes, indeed, Bligh was quite the accomplished mariner. He had been chosen to be Sailing MAster of Resolution for Cook's 3rd Voyage. The position was more like a modern "Chief Mate" but complicated by social and naval distinctions. But like Cook and Worsley, he has a consumate navigator. But beyond all that Hollywood has mostly created the ogre version. Anthony Hopkins/Mel Gibson did, I think , the most sympathetic version, largely based on a book called Captain Bligh and Mr. Christian. I think the most accurate and scholarly version (very readable) of the Bounty/Bligh story was done by Caroline Alexander called "The Bounty:........." She is a scholar and used many sources but most importantly the actual Admiralty Court transcripts of the investigation into the loss of HM Armed Vessel Bounty. (Note worthy: Caroline Alexander was largely responsible for the whole "Shackleton Mania' of the late 90's+, reintroducing us to the Endurance story-she did great, exhaustive and accurate work. We can only hope that Hollywood will leave Shackleton alone)

Two sailing ships were used in the 1935 "Mutiny", both were lumber schooners rebuilt to specs by putting another hull over the original and rerigging. They were put aside afterward and fell apart. Other "ships" were made from barges for the destruction of Bounty and Pandora. For the 1962 Brando version, a ship was built and still exists and sails. Homeported on Long Island, she is currently in Nova Scotia. The 1984 Gibson Bounty is steel with wood over, currently in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Christian and his mutineers were more or less whiners, and quite selfish.
    Ya......Rum, the Lash, and buggery sounds good to me..........
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

^ I believe Noel Coward recommended rum, buggery and gramophone records for wardrooms. ("you bitch, it's my turn to lead for the Pasa Doble"!)
    Xanthorrea

Bligh was a fighting captain. You have to respect a man that gets mentioned by Nelson in despatches. Not to mention a superb navigator.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Il colore del cielo, la forza del mare.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Two sailing ships were used in the 1935 "Mutiny", both were lumber schooners rebuilt to specs by putting another hull over the original and rerigging. They were put aside afterward and fell apart. Other "ships" were made from barges for the destruction of Bounty and Pandora. For the 1962 Brando version, a ship was built and still exists and sails. Homeported on Long Island, she is currently in Nova Scotia. The 1984 Gibson Bounty is steel with wood over, currently in Asia.
    Because she was clad steel she would not creak. We recorded the creaking sound-track on the Marques in 1983 off Plymouth England. The first day's recording in force 5 had to be discarded, as for some reason there was detected in the background the tunes of "Talking Heads". The next days recording in force 7 was good. They returned the crew boombox when we arrived at the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by varadero View Post
    Because she was clad steel she would not creak. We recorded the creaking sound-track on the Marques in 1983 off Plymouth England. The first day's recording in force 5 had to be discarded, as for some reason there was detected in the background the tunes of "Talking Heads". The next days recording in force 7 was good. They returned the crew boombox when we arrived at the dock.
    Lovely story!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

As I said in a prior post.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A Good overview of the events surrounding the mutiny, but more importantly a concise expose of the mythology(and how it came to be) of Bligh. A post-modern, deconstructionist approach, so it can be a bit of a slog in places, but offers some compelling insight into cultural, social and historical interpretations of an event. Bligh comes out better than Fletcher and the crew.

http://www.complete-review.com/revie...gg/mrbligh.htm
    As I said in a prior post
    Xanthorrea

A good description of Bligh's voyage in "Bounty's Launch" along with a set of lines can be found in Uffa Fox's Second book. Indeed it was an incredible voyage even if stores were not limited to sustain the crew. I have seen all three of the films of the Mutiny and believe that I prefer the first version with Gable and Lawton. There were still enough crewmen who sailed in commercial square at the time of the first filming which, gives a good look at correct rigging and ship's operation.

A friend of mine Don Rypinski was a technical aid during the filming of the Brando Version. As Don describes with a slide show to authenticate his remarks. All of the Tahitian women were required to wear pasties to satisfy tbe censors. So all of the beautifully and bountiful busted brown skin girls, who couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, jumped into the wate,r from their canoes for a swim, while the scene of "Bounty's" arrival in Tahiti was being shot. The result was that all of the cosmetic pasties went floating off with the tide looking, for all the world, like a flotilla of tiny jellyfish. As a result, the scene ended up being bare breasted anyway. The director would bark out his orders in English and a Tahition translator would tell the natives, "That fat SOB on the ship wants you all to smile wave hello to the crew on the Bounty. This, of course resulted in peals of laughter and that memorable swim! It is a short and delightful scene!
    Jay

The 1935 movie was not the first made about this mutiny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mutiny_of_the_Bounty

The original ship was only 90' long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    From what I've read I've concluded that while Bligh may have been a bit of a Martinette, he was not the ogre depicted in film and in culture. Christian and his mutineers were more or less whiners, and quite selfish.

Kevin
    There was a great deal of politics played out in the subsequent events following the mutiny. Bligh was blamed unfairly, because the alternative was to hang the perpetrators, some of whom had society connections.

For those interested, here is the Log entries made By Captain Bligh during his epic sail to Timor.

JD

Senior Ole Salt # 650

Woops! missed the rest of the log, sorry.

Senior Ole Salt # 650

Bligh was blamed unfairly, because the alternative was to hang the perpetrators, some of whom had society connections.
    That's an enlightening bit of info.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

IIRC Bligh had come up "from under" whereas Christian and perhap others had "connections".
    Xanthorrea

Pretty impressive daily runs for an undercanvased, overloaded 23 foot boat.