Well ; anyone else inspired by the WB article on metal cutting circular saw blades ? I was vaguely aware of them , but this prompted me to take action . No need for a 10 inch I decided , depth of cut is not an issue .So I went with a 7 ¼ inch Lenox blade that can also cut steel .
I’ve been wanting a 2 lb. sounding weight for use inshore .Davey & Co. used to have them but no more . I’ve got a stash of Naval Brass , originally meant for an architectural detail that never got built . A blade that can cleanly rip and crosscut the material seemed to be the missing link between the two .
I made up a simple 2 piece bed so I could do the crosscuts with my 10 in. slide miter box . This produced incredibly smooth and easy cuts in my 3/8ths by 1 in. Brass stock . I tightly locked the slide feature so if the blade did bind the material wouldn’t be thrown up into my hand .The ripping was done on my table saw with finger boards holding the piece in and down . I tried a full thickness cut at 45 deg. which the saw handled perfectly .
I’ve been impressed by the metal working posts here ,the most recent a video from Eye In Hand showing his construction of rudder hardware for his two Mellonseeds . http://www.eyeinhand.com/Marginalia/...brazing-brass/ After watching this a number of times I was ready to move up to Mapp Gas and try my luck .
My sounding weight consists of 3 pre-shaped pieces stacked and soldered together . Because of the low stress on and large surface area of these joints I could use hardware store plumbing solder . I tried heating with propane as an experiment and might have gotten this pile up to temp with it eventually but I ran out of patience and gladly switched to the Mapp gas . The same torch works for both. Everything was bought at Lowe’s but the brass.
My stock dimensions didn’t lend themselves to producing a regular polygon ,nor did I care about that : just every edge chamfered or eased a little . The ripping had left a few small marks so I ground the sawn surfaces with my belt sander clamped to the bench : first using 80 grit ,then 120.
Now I’m thinking of trying a pair of candlesticks . If they don’t work out they can always be repurposed as presentational sounding weights.