Thread: Infinite Modular Sharpie

Default Infinite Modular Sharpie

I happen on this boat and thought it was interesting. not for how many modulars they could put on it but just the concept. I don't know how to post a picture of it from another sourse but thought alot of you have seen it.
    I know if you took just the stern, 1 middle section and the front that yes it would be great for some rivers and lakes. it's too narrow for me but what would happen if you made it to be 24ft long and not modular with a 6ft wide but with a modified v-hull and used it in the Pacific NW. I am thinking with straight sides then mod v hull on bottom. powered by a 10 or 15 hp outboard with inside well. of course it would have a pointed bow.
    anyone seen this boat and your thoughts.

Outlaw

Default Re: Infinite Modular Sharpie

got a link or pic?

Quote Originally Posted by wdbeyer View Post
    got a link or pic?
    Read all about it on Duckworks: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/projects/tims/

thanks jimd. I don't know how to do that. so whats all your thoughts?

Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    so whats all your thoughts?
    Boy that thing is ugly.

Not that its not cool and interesting and kinda fun, mind you. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

what would happen if you made it to be 24ft long and not modular with a 6ft wide but with a modified v-hull and used it in the Pacific NW
    You'd have a 24x6 foot power sharpie that might be a nice boat if you designed it from scratch. I'd be looking at some of the Bolger power sharpies. He drew up a few, named some of the longer ones for US states iirc - Wyoming, Idaho, Tennesee, etc. Don't know how useful they'd be in the PNW, though. I think this pic is a modified Champlain:

a flat bottom would pound like you know what in our waters but with a modified v bottom I think it would be alot better. the thing is how deep of a mod v. would it be better if the transom was at 6ft then going out to 8ft then bringing it back to a point say 6ft from the bow and 4ft from the transom. I'll have to draw it out and still keep the straight sides so the chine and sheer would be the same.

Outlaw

Outlaw, it really sounds like you want to design a new boat. I've always liked the aft cabin look so I wish you luck. Looking forward to your drawings. Glen-Ls Noyo Trawler is 24 feet and takes very low power and probably has the hull form you'd need for our water:

Last edited by JimD; 07-19-2012 at 10:31 AM.

noyo is a very nice lookin trawler

Outlaw

The Infinite Modular Sharpie was originally my brainstorm back about 10 or 11 years ago. It was really intended as a stunt for a messabout or a boat show where a bunch of people would build 8x4 modules to bring to the event. Once there, we'd all assemble them on site to make a boat of at least 100' length in a day.

My friend Bruce Hector took the idea and ran with it and built the boat above. He and a group of volunteers managed to get a 96'er put together up in Kingston, ON during a messabout he organized and hosted.

See http://www.brucesboats.com/page6.html for the results.

John Bell, yes I know that you were involved. what a great idea. Bruce and his follower's did a great job at the messabout. thank you for doing the design. I really like the style of this and want to persue it further for a nw build.

Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    You'd have a 24x6 foot power sharpie that might be a nice boat if you designed it from scratch. I'd be looking at some of the Bolger power sharpies. He drew up a few, named some of the longer ones for US states iirc - Wyoming, Idaho, Tennesee, etc. Don't know how useful they'd be in the PNW, though. I think this pic is a modified Champlain:

That's a Tennessee.

I have nothing to do with Bruce's design shown in the 2nd or 3rd post. I drew a bow section that was a little more aesthetically pleasing, but not by a lot.

It's too bad this has been done already, because I don't think I get people as enthusiastic about the project any more. It would be cool to get one over 100', that's for sure. What a great stunt for the Wooden Boat show. Carl Cramer are you listening?

John, I had read somewhere and your name was mention. I thought you did the whole design. thats ok. at least this was done. anyways I like the look but would not do a modular. I want to do a look a like but would have to change some things and have a modified v-hull for running in the Pacific NW.
    so anybody else have any thoughts on this boat as a modular build or anything else. thanks all for your input.

Outlaw

I can only see a couple of good arguments for a modular boat:

1) You want to be able to more easily be able to transport and store a large boat by trailer. It's heck of a lot easier to trailer three 15-18' sections than would be to trailer one 50' boat. Bolger drew his 47' breakdown schooner for this reason, but I'm not so sure the extra work and structure ($$$) needed to allow it to break into three pieces was worth it in the end.

2) You want a boat that can be converted from a dayboat to long term cruiser by swapping in and out special purpose modules. Again I doubt it's worth the effort and expense.

The big problem that I never really tackled was the structure needed to keep the boat together in any kind of seaway. The IMS was concieved to only exist for a few hours or days at a show or messabout. While I'm sure everyone would have fun larking about on 'their' 100' boat for a few hours on calm water, but I never labored under the illusion the long girder shape would not tear itself to bits in any kind significant wave action.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bell View Post
    It would be cool to get one over 100', that's for sure. What a great stunt for the Wooden Boat show. Carl Cramer are you listening?
    A hundred foot long stunt? Not sure that meets my idea of cool. What would you do with it after the stunt was over?

hundred foot long stunt? Not sure that meets my idea of cool. What would you do with it after the stunt was over?
    Why, hold the PDR World Championships, of course!

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A hundred foot long stunt? Not sure that meets my idea of cool. What would you do with it after the stunt was over?
    You sir have no sense of the ridiculous!

To quote from that cinematic masterpeice "Animal House":

Otter: ....I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
    Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
    The point is to do something completely pointless that pokes fun at pretentious yachties with their 100' gin and sin palaces. When you're done pile up the boxes and have a heck of a bonfire.

Au contraire, I think I excel at ridiculous. I think its the wastefulness part that bothers me. Killing trees needlessly and that sort of thing. I'd be all for it if it resulted in a useful boat. But not a bonfire. Can't relate. Peace and love, John.

I don't see it as any more or less wasteful than the Q&D building contests like this one: http://www.maritimefest.org/activiti...boat-building/

It's rare that one of the boats from those contests goes on to a long and productive life.

Instead of an individual competition the IMS is more of a community performance art project. The teams start with three pieces of 1/2" CDX plywood and a couple of sticks of stud lumber, a couple of pints of paint, and a lot of imagination. Make it an art contest with recognition for the most creatively decorated segments. Everyone who participates gets to ride around in their little piece of the boat, hopefully wearing a big smile.

what a better way of doing something, having a blast creating something, look at their faces, smiling, having fun. so much better doing that then being glum in this world of ours. I liked the idea.
    no, I wouldn't build in modular but a a regular boat with enough stiffness to make it sea worthy. I think it is very cool looking no matter how it was built.

Outlaw

Join each module to another with a flexible spacer, so the 100 footer would flex in a seaway, they could be made of old tires. You'd have to have a bow rudder so the whole shebang could slither round corners.

I read someplace that Aristotle Onassis was contemplating a million-ton articulated tanker just before his death. IIRC, part of the concept was to have modular sections which could fit into ports where the whole ship wouldn't fit.

Tom

Peabody, this is what I was kind of thinking for a chugger type.

Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Peabody, this is what I was kind of thinking for a chugger type.

Outlaw
    wow....ok i see where your going with this...
    i think it is doable...
    i also liked your ideal of the air chambers on a standard chugger...
    be wonderfull for my lake.
    peabody
    I started this life with nothing.
    Kept most of it .......

Outlaw, it really sounds like you want to design a new boat. I've always liked the aft cabin look so I wish you luck. Looking forward to your drawings. Glen-Ls Noyo Trawler is 24 feet and takes very low power and probably has the hull form you'd need for our water:

this is good.
    i like the rear pilot house.
    I started this life with nothing.
    Kept most of it .......

So, why couldn't there be an 8' enclosed section that my dual sport bike could be loaded into, then attache the bow section?

That's pretty much what I've been trying toget in other thread here.....not trying to hyjack your thread, but why not a bow section, a container section, a cabin and aft?

As to the sections, I wonder if you could use about 24 to 30 inches of a 4X6 or 6X8 bolted to one section and have say four of them that plug into a steel female channel that would be bolted to the other section and then drop a pin, peg, pipe in to keep the male connection in place. Seems that would support the sections over a wave.... I'd be concerned about the strength holding together over a cresting wave.....

BTW, I can also see the cabin section sliding on a trailer as a camper....a boxy teardrop type! Load the bow on the top and off ya go......
    Last edited by Wavewacker; 08-28-2012 at 11:27 AM.

it would all work but I would put it altogether as one unit not modular. I like the concept of modular but in my case in the PNW where the wave action is sometimes not so desirable I would need it to be all one solid section either 18' or 20' depending if I wanted an outboard transon or an inboard transom. I think the double chine would work better. 4' wide on the bottom then 6" up for another chine at 6' wide then straight up for 6' wide at the shear with a pointy bow. any other ideas on this? thanks all

Outlaw

Outlaw, I agree that one piece would eliminate alot of worries. I'd like to follow such a build as you propose.

If there were some way to connect the bones, stringers, gunnels and keel to carry its own weight I wouldn't worry about leaks as it seems to be a gasket system would keep you dry. This seems to me as doable with the 4' beam, 6' with higher freeboard would be ideal but wouldn't that also require a heavier build? Can this modular idea be made seaworthy for the ICWs?

What if everyone makes an 8' section with a rowing station? see if you can get your 100 footer to hull speed by manpower.

That'd be a sight to see.
    If at first you fail, you need to expand your sample size.

wavewacker, I don't see why this would not work on the ICW. never been there but a solid built one should be ok. I am just not sure about here in the PNW. I would not be concern about our tidal movement as I kayak out there alot but the bigger waves here may be a problem if caught in it.
    Bram, that would be fun. 8' long by 4' wide all open. 13 sections = 104 ft. need a rudder front and rear tho. lol. have a messabout in the North West.

Outlaw

ok, I have settled on doing this. I am in the process of building a model at 1 1/2" = 1'. the build is coming along fine. it will be 18' long. the bottom is 4' wide raising up 6" for the double chine, out to 6' wide, straight sides to the stern with the pointy bow. it will have a pilot house of 6' wide x 4' long to get me out of the rain. I think a 20 hp engine will be ok. it will be a little heavy. not sure how much till I get the model done. will let ya know how it turns out in the water with weight in it. the model not the real boat.

Outlaw