Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Captain Eddie" 8 Bells

Default Re: "Captain Eddie" 8 Bells

Set ‘em up barkeep. I need one more before the unintelligible dreck can come spewing forth from my fingertips. Oooooooooooo! That Remy is smooth.

It wasn’t often that I spent time with Eddie, I was always out sailing his boats, and he wasn’t supposed to be on the boat while I was sailing her. When I did spend any time with him, it was often a long time. You get to know somebody better in a eight hour stretch than you do in eight one hour meetings.

For this year’s tale, We go back to an early season on Ranger. Back then, while we were booked every weekend, we only had occasional weekday charters.

This week had not been a good one for Eddie. Diosa del Mar’s skipper (on his first and last trip on the boat) decided to forego the usual trip to Avalon and go around to the windward side of Catalina Island. As one would expect, the windward side of the island is wide open to the wind and any waves that might get generated over several thousand miles of fetch. Everybody who goes to the backside goes to Cat Harbor, the only really decent anchorage on that side of the island. That is almost everybody.

Diosa’s skipper decided on the closer Little Harbor. Little Harbor, as the name suggests, is a little harbor. Diosa del Mar, as her name suggests (Goddess of the Sea), was a not so little boat. Little Harbor has a reef off a bit to one side, behind which a couple of small boats can seek some shelter from the weather.

Diosa found the reef on her way into the cove. She began taking on water through a couple of punched planks. Instead of trying to control the incoming tide, the skipper just drove the boat firmly onto the sandy beach and unloaded the peeps.

Bartender…another round.

: (
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

The poor old gal sat on the beach for a couple of days before Eddie could get her floated off. I don’t know if he called in a favor or if he exposed himself to having somebody call a future favor on him, but the next thing I heard, Diosa was hang’n on a hook in Avalon with a plywood and roofing tar patch on her nose. Her diesel was trashed and we were experiencing one of our rare summer days of high heat and low wind. Eddie needed a tow boat to get her home.

I was taking advantage of a day off to get some needed work done on Ranger. The rest of my crew was taking advantage of a day off to disappear. I didn’t know what to think when I saw Eddie walking down the gangway with a sea bag in tow. He climbed aboard and said “Crank her up, we’re going to Avalon.” I saw my future unfold before me - a whole day, alone with Eddie, serving as a tow boat driver.

He deposited his bag in the cockpit and unzipped it, removing a number of plastic containers of edible commodities. “Get her underway, I’ll go get lunch started.”

The mention of a gourmet Captain Eddie freshly cooked culinary delight turned my frown upside down and I leapt into action. I untied Ranger’s dock lines and gave her bow a shove out into the incoming tide. I usually had a pretty decent westerly blowing me against the dock making it necessary to back down on her spring line to get Ranger’s bow pointed out into the entrance channel. Today’s lack of wind let the current take care of that for me. I just put her in gear, headed out to sea, and took in the fenders and dock lines. With the lines faked and the fenders secured on deck, I settled in back at the helm and assumed my role as a human auto pilot. There was no sign of Eddie for at least a half hour.

Oh oh! My glass is empty!

Finally, after a while, Eddie’s head appeared in the companionway, followed by Eddie’s shoulders. Then, most importantly, I spied Eddies right hand holding a paper plate artistically covered with lumps of some sort of warm gooey cheese like substance, bits of some flavor of mystery meat du jour, and some pre-packaged brand of garlic flavored whole wheat cracker.

“Lunch is almost ready.”

He handed me the plate and returned to the galley. Weinberg’s Navy had its moments.

I’m a rag-hauler…through and through. I just don’t like running the diesel stays’l. I tolerate it when I need to, and I can recognize when there is a need; but I firmly believe that when it comes to sailing, getting there should be all of the fun. To add to the pleasure, it was about 90° and there was just enough fluky wind to occasionally blow a lung full of exhaust in my face.

We were about half way across the channel. It looked like you could reach out and grab the island. If this were a charter, this would be the point where incessant questions about the boat became incessant questions about our arrival time. I haven’t seen much of Eddie since the paper plate of goodies. He played prairie dog a few times, popping his head up through the hatch, looking around, then popping back down. I was almost wishing for a boat full of peeps — ALMOST!!

Eddie rescued me from my boredom by appearing on deck with a couple steaming plates of lunch. I don’t remember what was on the menu, but I do remember that it tasted even better than the delicious paper plate of goodies. Unable to speak with my mouth full when he offered seconds, I just vigorously nodded my head in assent.

What wine goes good with Remy?

I was gone for a while, now I'm back, here's more.

With the mid-day meal out of the way, Eddie disappeared below, presumably to clean up the galley. I think he was just enjoying his boat. He didn’t get much chance to do that, she was usually filled with his Lost Boys. He was down there for a very long time!

It’s now getting to be about 2 o’clock in the afternoon - the hottest part of a very hot day. I’m baking in the Sun’s relentless presence overhead and frying from his reflection in the mirror smooth Pacific. Ranger knew the way herself, but she was blind to anything that stood in her way. Somebody had to keep watch for her. I was covered with sweat, bored as Hell, and actually beginning to wish I was someplace else.

Just when I had almost decided to stop the boat and go for a swim, Eddie finally appeared topside. He’d been talking to Diosa on their hand-held VHF. They just spotted Ranger’s sticks.

Eddie started looking for her with a really cheesy little pair of binoculars. After a few fruitless minutes, I handed him my spectaculars and he found her almost immediately. It seem pretty counterproductive to stop and swim now, so I just kept going.

Half an hour later, we had a towline rigged and Diosa was weighing anchor. She was in about 250’ of water, so I figured it was gonna take a while. I climbed over the life lines and dove into the cool Pacific. I swam the length of Ranger’s hull, climbed up the bobstay to the widow’s net (Ranger had a beauty) and hoisted myself onto the bowsprit.

I was refreshed. I felt rejuvenated.

My first mistake was thinking that my heat and boredom induced impairment of judgment had been completely reversed.

It hadn’t.

Oooops, that was my last ten. Somebody buy the next round?

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerRat View Post
    Oooops, that was my last ten. Somebody buy the next round?
    What time is it? O.K. one more round for everyone!!! Keep the stories flowing. There's at least one of us still paying attention

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Another 25minutes before last orders over here....

Keep em coming

I was almost ready to hit the water again when the powerless Diosa del Mar got her anchor on deck. Eddie minded the tow line as I took out the slack. Ranger was soon headed for home with her 30 ton dingy in tow.

Mistake number 2 - I didn’t notice when the heat and the exhaust fumes began to further impair my already impaired judgment. It started off innocently enough. I asked Eddie a couple of questions about the boat. They were legit questions, and I got legit answers.

I don’t know what came over me. I flashed on a whole season of passengers pestering me with questions. How long is the boat? When was it built? Are we almost there yet? What’s the answer to life the universe and everything.

I looked at Eddie. I saw in him the source of it all. I began asking him all of the usual charter questions. He answered them with all the grace and poise befitting a schooner captain on his best behavior. When I ran out of the usual questions, I started making some up.

I went on, and on, and on, until I was ready to strangle myself. Eddie didn’t bat an eyelash, he just calmly responded to every query. At some point I realized that I was out matched. It didn’t even slow me down. “Damn the torpedoes.”

One more round and we can all go home for another year.

One of the most fascinating things about the internet is when you’re surfing along and stumble across someone telling a story about an event you have an intimate involvement in that is so warped and tortured, you don’t know whether to laugh or get angry…this is such a story.

So ah Rat, just wondering how the Diosa’s windless could pull anchor in 250’ of water when the engine, generator and batteries are kaput? But then again, why would you need to pull the anchor up when the boat was on a mooring in Avalon? You see Rat; we were the first people Eddie called when the Diosa hit the rocks, so we beat it out to the island to help out. Here’s another little pearl, I was standing on Diosa’s deck manning a pump when the Ranger showed up. In fact, the reason the Ranger was there, was to haul the passengers back to the dock, I know that because Eddie sent me back on the Ranger to make damn sure nothing else went wrong with their trip, interesting you never mentioned the passengers.Truth is, they used the buoy barge to tow Diosa back to the Boat Works.

Look. here’s my beef. While your little tale cruising over to the island to rescue the Diosa would seem all warm and fuzzy. The truth is a lot of guys were busting their keesters to get the boat patched up and pulled off the beach at the next tide. Not to mention the logistics of dealing with the passengers and their gear that had to step off the boat in the surf. It was not fun, it was not romantic, people got hurt and it was not an event to be remembered fondly, a few personal relationships died as a result as well. So pardon me if I seem a little angry.

Look, if you going to spin yourself into a happening, you may want to make sure the guys that were actually there don’t see it. Too bad really, I’m sure the folks on this forum would get a bang out of all the wild stuff that actually happened on those boats that you seem to be unaware of. I suppose stories like this help a slow leaking ego, as long as the folks reading know it’s fiction. Good luck with the babes…
    Hmmm, come to think of it, you weren’t even around when we buried him.
    Last edited by wudzgud; 07-18-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wudzgud View Post
    One of the most fascinating things about the internet is when you’re surfing along and stumble across someone telling a story about an event you have an intimate involvement in that is so warped and tortured, you don’t know whether to laugh or get angry…this is such a story.

So ah Rat, just wondering how the Diosa’swindlesscould pull anchor in 250’ of water when the engine, generator and batteries are kaput? But then again, why would you need to pull the anchor up when the boat was on a mooring in Avalon? You see Rat; we were the first people Eddie called when the Diosa hit the rocks, so we beat it out to the island to help out. Here’s another little pearl, I was standing on Diosa’s deck manning a pump when the Ranger showed up. In fact, the reason the Ranger was there, was to haul the passengers back to the dock, I know that because Eddie sent me back on the Ranger to make damn sure nothing else went wrong with their trip, interesting you never mentioned the passengers.Truth is, they used the buoy barge to tow Diosa back to the Boat Works.
    Look, if you going to spin yourself into a happening, you may want to make sure the guys that were actually there don’t see it. Too bad really I’m sure the folks on this forum would get a bang out of all the wildstuff that actually happened on those boatsthat you seem to be unaware of. I suppose stories like this help a slow leaking ego as long as the folks reading know it’s fiction. Good luck with the babes…
    I don't really care if these stories are 100 percent facts or if parts were changed due to faded memories or for whatever other reasons there might be. They are good reading regardless.

SchoonerRat does a good job of story telling and sharing those stories with this group. Instead of criticizing these stories, how about adding your own version from your point of view? It sounds like you are aware of "wildstuff" that SchoonerRat hasn't told us. Start spinning your own yarns. What did the passengers think of the "adventure" and HOW did YOU insure their trip was good? I notice this was your first post on this forum. Your turn to buy the next round while we wait for the next part of the story.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

EDIT to add

What happened? How many people there? Buried at sea????? Come on, there's got to be some more you could share.
    Last edited by Sea Dreams; 07-18-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Ranger was my boat in the mid '80s. She didn't leave the dock without me. I was on charter in Avalon when Diosa hit the reef. Her skipper immediately ran her up on the beach and offloaded the pepes. I assumed that they were brought back to Avalon by an overland route and then home by cattle boat. Ranger had nothing to do with getting passengers off Diosa, which happened at Little Harbor while Ranger was in Avalon. I don't know for sure, but it may have been Lady Ada who showed up while you were manning the pump. She was the least active of Eddie's boats and was likely sitting at her dock and available. It wasn't Ranger who picked up Diosa's pepes.

I towed Diosa from Avalon back to her dock at Seaport Village, several days after she grounded. My 30 year old memory remembers being back out on charter when she was later towed to San Pedro Boat Works to get hauled, but she may have been gone before I went back to Catalina.

I distinctly remember Diosa hangin on a lunch hook off of St. Catherine's where we always anchored our girls. I distinctly remember Diosa's crew manhandling 400' of nylon anchor rode. I watched while remembering a week or 2 before when I joined Diosa's crew and passengers along with a number of my passengers to muscle Diosa's 300' of chain without the use of a malfunctioning windlass.

There was nobody on Diosa del Mar that day that I didn't recognize as one of her regular crew, and there was nobody from Diosa with me and Eddie on the voyage home, and there were no passengers on Diosa either before or after we got there.

While I admit to having a Jean Shepherd like memory, I stand by the facts as I wrote them. 9 hours alone with Captain Eddie on a boat is not something that one easily forgets --- or makes up.

Please be careful when you call somebody a liar!!!!
    Not everybody is as good natured as I am - and I'm kinda pissed!
    Last edited by SchoonerRat; 07-18-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Wow, just wow...you are one sick puppy, I'll leave you to you delusions .Oh and I think I can tell the diff between the Lady and the Ranger..I built the interior in both of them.

Last year’s posting didn’t end so well!

So ah Rat, just wondering how the Diosa’s windless could pull anchor in 250’ of water when the engine, generator and batteries are kaput? But then again, why would you need to pull the anchor up when the boat was on a mooring in Avalon? You see Rat; we were the first people Eddie called when the Diosa hit the rocks, so we beat it out to the island to help out. Here’s another little pearl, I was standing on Diosa’s deck manning a pump when the Ranger showed up. In fact, the reason the Ranger was there, was to haul the passengers back to the dock, I know that because Eddie sent me back on the Ranger to make damn sure nothing else went wrong with their trip, interesting you never mentioned the passengers.Truth is, they used the buoy barge to tow Diosa back to the Boat Works.

Look. here’s my beef. While your little tale cruising over to the island to rescue the Diosa would seem all warm and fuzzy. The truth is a lot of guys were busting their keesters to get the boat patched up and pulled off the beach at the next tide. Not to mention the logistics of dealing with the passengers and their gear that had to step off the boat in the surf. It was not fun, it was not romantic, people got hurt and it was not an event to be remembered fondly, a few personal relationships died as a result as well. So pardon me if I seem a little angry.

Look, if you going to spin yourself into a happening, you may want to make sure the guys that were actually there don’t see it. Too bad really, I’m sure the folks on this forum would get a bang out of all the wild stuff that actually happened on those boats that you seem to be unaware of. I suppose stories like this help a slow leaking ego, as long as the folks reading know it’s fiction. Good luck with the babes…
    Wow, just wow...you are one sick puppy, I'll leave you to you delusions .Oh and I think I can tell the diff between the Lady and the Ranger..I built the interior in both of them.

OK, so my 30 year old memory goofed. On the day in question, Eddie and I took Ranger to rescue Diosa del Mar with an electrical problem, not from her grounding. I think there might have been a better way to point out my mistake. Instead, the schmuck decided to lay waste to a thread paying homage to a man he claims as a friend by calling me a liar, telling me I’m crazy, and informing me that my years on Ranger were nothing but a figment of my imagination. All over a point that had absolutely no bearing on the story being told. I hope it made him feel superior!

One more Captain Eddie story needs to be told. I’ll make this one brief.

I woke late one Monday morning after a weekend charter. My crew was all gone. In fact, all of Weinberg’s Navy were gone. I was alone on the dock. Ranger’s golly took a bit of a salt water swim when we doused it the day before. It seemed to take me forever to haul it up on deck and give it a fresh water rinse. By the time I got it spread out to dry, it was time for an early lunch.

I walked up the gangway to the Jolly Roger and took a seat in my favorite booth at the picture window overlooking Eddie’s dock. While I was snorking down my coffee, waiting for my burger and fries, Eddie walked in with a friend. Eddie made the introductions and they joined me. My food arrived just after they finished ordering. I half listened to their conversation while gobbling down my first sustenance of the day.

When I finished, I glanced out the window and noticed that the afternoon breeze was starting to fill in. I excused myself by saying that I’d better pack up my drying sail before it blew off the deck. I stood to leave and reached into my pocket to pay for my meal. Eddie waved me off and said that he’d take care of it.

When Eddie’s friend looked up and asked which boat was mine, I just pointed out the window. His face assumed a curious look. “Eddie, isn’t Ranger your boat?”

“It’s his damned boat till the end of the season!”

I smiled and chuckled as I turned to walk out. “So long Pop, and thanks for lunch.” I left Eddie to explain to his even more bewildered friend that I wasn’t his long lost son.

So…

So long Pop…

and thanks for everything!

You know, you really were a son of a bitch, but as SOBs go, you were one of the best. I’d be proud to call you a friend, but I don’t think I can really make that claim. The only times we had any contact it had something to do with one of your boats. However, I knew you well enough to know that if you had caught me in the “bold faced lie” that ended last years post, it would not have mattered one flying fart to you. You would have kept listening while I finished the story, and when I got to the punchline, you would have scowled and given me a look that said “I’ll get you for that.” while vainly attempting to hide the belly laugh that was growing in your gut.

If some putz wants to stomp through here and crap all over my Christmas tree again, he can damn well start his own thread. This one already reeks of his stank!

I’m outa here.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Another year has passed. This thread has taken a hard turn from where I originally pointed it. Besides...I'm running out of "Captain Eddie" stories that can be told on a family oriented forum. I think I'll just bump this old thread one more time, then let it die a slow death...just like The Captain.

A sincere thanks to all who listened patiently and offered their support!

Well, Capt. Irv it's obvious that wudzgud has dampened your ardor and I think completely missed the point of your stories ie. an homage and 'thanks' to an admired and influential friend;
    Myself and, it seems others, enjoy(ed) your stories. The Thanks are mine to give. And if you can find a way to clean-up or "bleep" appropriate words, please continue.
    A toast to your "Captain Eddie" Cheers.

We now have to toast him in our minds since Slockum's is no longer there for us BNA and Schooner Rats to assemble in! Here's look'n at you Eddie! It was a great sail through life with you!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    Well, Capt. Irv it's obvious that wudzgud has dampened your ardor and I think completely missed the point of your stories ie. an homage and 'thanks' to an admired and influential friend;
    Myself and, it seems others, enjoy(ed) your stories. The Thanks are mine to give. And if you can find a way to clean-up or "bleep" appropriate words, please continue.
    A toast to your "Captain Eddie" Cheers.

Wot he said

Just took the trouble to look at a few of wudzguds other 'contributions' to the forum. Does not come across as a happy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    We now have to toast him in our minds since Slockum's is no longer there for us BNA and Schooner Rats to assemble in! Here's look'n at you Eddie! It was a great sail through life with you!
    Jay
    Yeah, Josh Slockum's is gone...but then, so are all of the schooners...so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I'll raise my glass to the days when SoCal was still wooden boat friendly!

Thanks for sharing with us all.
    Sail on Capt Eddie
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Another year, another bump.

I was gonna let let this thread slip off into the archives, but if there's anyplace that a guy like Captain Eddie should be remembered, it's here. In spite of the way it's been trashed by a know it all SOB, I think these posts have painted a decent picture of the man I remember.

So, once more, I will hoist a cold one to Fast Eddie, Ranger, Diosa del Mar, and Lady Ada.

The Captain is dead, long live The Captain!

Yep, when Eddie put "Diosa del Mar" on the rocks, we called him, The Artful Dodger!
    Jay

"The Captain is dead, long live The Captain!"
    Cheers to Capt' Eddie.. and Schooner Rat for keeping the memory alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Yep, when Eddie put "Diosa del Mar" on the rocks, we called him, The Artful Dodger!
    Jay
    For a long time, a piece of Diosa's stern, complete with gallows, sat outside the public heads at the Isthmus. I hear it's not there anymore. I always lingered just a bit more than necessary any time I walked by her. I hope whoever has her now, appreciates the yachting history that she represents.