Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concordia + Divorce =

Default Concordia + Divorce =

Change . . .

I have been quiet with my restoration project of #9 Concordia Yawl this past year that was taking place in Clinton, AR. I had been legally locked out from my property and haven't seen the boat, tools ... for just shy of a year. I was suppose to be divorced June 5th and would of had a better idea of the boats fate but things are rescheduled for August 22. It doesn't look like I will have the time, money and mostly the heart to complete what I had started. I also decided that I don't want to move the boat to a non-permanent location only to have to move it again. It is hard to make this decision but hopefully it will give the right person(s) the dream I once had.

I contacted IYRS in Newport to see if they would like the boat as a donation, which they respectfully declined. If any of you folks have an interest, any idea's, interest in purchase, coming to an auction, starting a syndicate to save a classic or coming to the bon fire, feel free to share your thoughts.

The boat is stripped out and I had started making frames (14 pairs to date). I had also a new keel timber out of Iroko made along with deadwoood and all other midline parts. It is complete with most of the hardware and needs a new main mast.

Feel free to share here or privately. Happy summer solstice.

Default Re: Concordia + Divorce =

Sorry to hear of this.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Ooof!...... Sorry to hear this.....

I seem to be slightly confused (Nothing new there.....), Is this the boat that I looked at in Connecticut, and took pictures of, or was that the Concordia Yawl "RAKA"?

It is the boat you looked at in Connecticut. The history of Raka. I liked the name on the yawl and named my dog Raka. My dog died about the time I was finishing my Swift Solo so I named that boat "Raka". The sail number was 025, thus RAKA025. My concordia was #9, formerly Whisper, Moana and I was tentatively calling it Amphora. It is not the Raka Concordia that is still floating nor any relation to Raka Epoxy.

Thank you..... I thought that was the case....... I'm still sorry for the turn of events..... Best of luck to you, and the boat.

Likewise Raka, it's a very hard process to go through and I hope you manage to salvage something from the wreck - not least yourself.

Ouch. Good luck
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quell drag.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Indeed a sad story ... but take heart, good things are in your future.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

“If you find yourself going through hell — keep going.”

- Winston Churchill

I am sorry for your troubles, but keep your head down, and punch your way out of the corner. Brighter days are ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by orbb View Post
    “If you find yourself going through hell — keep going.”

- Winston Churchill

I am sorry for your troubles, but keep your head down, and punch your way out of the corner. Brighter days are ahead.

It is hell or rebirth to go through a divorce on many levels. I have experienced the " dark night of the soul" and will be better because of it. To have a judge decide what is fair is humbling and not right. I am on my third lawyer in a year... One would think that taking care of your wife, giving her her dream, is a good thing? But in the eyes of the court, her not working, is a negative. I created a dependent that she is entitled to a lifestyle she has been accustomed too? I could understand it if we had kids etc., but when we have been upside down for the first 13 years of marriage?

I appreciate all of your wishes.

I wouldn't pretend to know what you are going through. I'm no boat expert, but, I am an expert at divorce -- been there 3 times. I know things look overwhelming right now, but time will change that. If this boat is truly your dream, the dream will return. I would try to hold on to it. If not, let it go and go on. Consider yourself lucky there are no kids, that is when it's truly a tragedy.

Good luck and best wishes.

John

Thanks John for the advice. It is time for that dream to be over and a better one to come along and take its place.

Chin up Rob, it gets better. I have been divorced twice, but the first one was damn painful. I understand irreconcilable differences, but what I don't get is someone who just has to keep banging away at you after you've left. I've experienced that, and I'm just glad I'm not like that. Sorry about the boat too.

I was out for a year before she filed, things were amiable. She visits her boyfriend in Spain, comes home, files, gets a restraining order for abuse and sexual assault, takes all savings... not so amiable! . It will be over soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Raka025 View Post
    Thanks John for the advice. It is time for that dream to be over and a better one to come along and take its place.
    I hear you Rob, you never know what the future will bring. I owned a dock and a boat during one of my divorces. I let the dock go, but, at great expense, was able to keep the boat. Then, as luck would have it, I ended up spending the next 5 summers in Greece and ended up selling the boat anyway. Not too many reasons in Michigan to keep a sailboat if you're not going to be here in the summer.

Make the best decision you can.

John

Unfortunately, the decision will not be made by me, it will be made by the judge and I will make the best of it.

Good luck to you on many levels, Rob. Sounds like a really tough situation.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Yes---Good luck. Hoping some other crazy person is out there to take Amphora on.
    Chuck Thompson

Just read this. Please know that I am so sorry on so many levels.

For lack of a better idea, everyone reading this go buy a lottery ticket. Today or whenever you read this. If you win, take some off the top and the rest goes to the increasing number of Concordias in a bad way.

I think the dust has settled for Rob, and he has resumed the restoration in Arkansas

Good news.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
    I'm no boat expert, but, I am an expert at divorce -- been there 3 times.
    That sounds like a triumph of optimism over common sense! Once is enough for me!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I think the dust has settled for Rob, and he has resumed the restoration in Arkansas
    I really, really hope that's true - mostly for him but also to see a Concordia saved.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I would love see some pictures as Rob proceeds with the restoration.

When he completes it, it will be a beautiful monument to his trials and tribulations which he surmounted.

Live the dream, many of us do not.

Kate Javotte and words.jpg
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Seems to me those Concordia s are a higher maintainance item than any woman.
    That you have kept the boat is a mystery .

True enough. You gotta really want a Concordia to go through all hes doing.
    Ive always liked the way they look but they seem to all be a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    That you have kept the boat is a mystery .
    It has been said that a wooden boat is referred to as a "She", because, if she is neglected and allowed to suffer the folly that is brought on by neglect; "She", will, most likely, seek to find some one else who will cherish and care for her! In this manner we sometimes learn the lesson that allows us to find our life's true partner! I finally, married a woman who can hand, reef, steer and cook! She also can swing a varnish brush with great finess! But,I never make the mistake of taking her for granted! That is a lesson learned, long ago, from someone else! The one that gets away is often one who feels that she is being upstaged by a boat!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 05-16-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Uncle Ike Sprague used to say that boats were reffered to as "She" because a well built boat will keep you as safe as being in your mothers arms.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Exactly! Boatyards around here charge as much as $15-20K per year in maintenance (launch, storage, painting, varnishing, engine winterizing, etc.)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

They are fragile floating jewelry boxes.
    I have two friends (in real life) that own them , and one virtual ( Chuck from right here).

Boats get you through times of no wives a lot better than wives get you through times of no boats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Boats get you through times of no wives a lot better than wives get you through times of no boats!
    I believe you are channeling R Crumb! Did we read the same comics in the 60s?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.