Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Baby Boat - the one sheet boat madness continues

Default Re: Baby Boat - the one sheet boat madness continues

Beautiful. That's got some form to it for such a small boat. I've been playing with 1 sheet dory designs and haven't gotten anything with flat sides to come out looking acceptable without sacrificing too much freeboard.

As a wag, I'd guess 180kg with a quite tippy behavior.

Such a long time on dry land.
    Looking forward to seeing how many people you got in at the same time. I had 2 adults in her no worries so I'm guessing at least 3 small adults. Love this boat its size shape and load capacity are just perfect for a fun experience.

This mini-video series is intended to show how the boat behaves under different loads under ideal conditions. Let's start with a person (85 kg), which together with the weight of the boat (16 kg) and the oars (4 kg) gives a displacement of 105 kg (fresh water).

As I explained in the description of Part 1 of this series, the plywood sheet I used to build this One Sheet Boat is a little larger than the usual size (250 x 125 cm instead of the usual 244 x 122 cm). This means that if I used the more common format, the boat would be 2.4% smaller. I did hydrostatic calculations to determine the freeboard for both sizes of this design at the same displacement, so you can imagine how the smaller version would perform.

Displacement 105 kg:
    Freeboard of the boat I built: 26.8 cm
    Freeboard using a 244 x122cm sheet: 25.5 cm

This is pretty rough unedited footage, but still shows very well what I wanted to demonstrate.

The shots of boarding the boat from the dock look like something out of a slapstick movie, but we managed to get seated without any major problems. Surprisingly, the seating arrangement also worked well for two adults without the need to remove the middle seat. To place the feet comfortably takes some arrangement, but is quite doable.

The second half of the shots with swapped positions clearly show who is the better rower. My friend Markus (who I would like to thank again for inviting me to this charming place to make this footage -- also shout-out to his son an daughter for the camera work) has always enjoyed rowing and was surprised how quickly we progressed even with two people on board. He rowed two-thirds of the length of this small lake briskly back and forth (about 800 m) without making much effort.

As a conclusion, I can say that the boat with two people on board on a beautiful summer day like this one on this small lake proved itself quite well under these particular circumstances.
    Still, it should be remembered that this is more of a water toy and therefore the range of use is very limited.

Now for the bare facts: Displacement is 170 kg (crew 85 + 65 kg, boat weight 16 kg + 4 kg oars) with 21.7 cm freeboard, which would result in 20.2 cm freeboard for the 244 x122 cm sheet variant.

Finally, we tried to test the limits of the load-bearing capacity by putting a third person on board.

Now it becomes uncomfortable both in terms of space and stability and especially getting in and out of the boat turns into a real challenge.
    It is possible to row a short distance with three people on board, but for safety reasons I would definitely advise against it.

It was fun to try it out, but only on the condition that everyone who participated was willing to take the risk of possibly ending up in the water. If that had happened, on a beautiful and warm summer day like this, we would have just laughed it off and considered the incident a welcome refreshment. Fortunately, everything went well and we were able to successfully complete the test series.

Here are the final data about it:

Displacement 215 kg (with the young woman):
    Freeboard of the boat I built: 18.4 cm
    Freeboard using a 244 x122cm sheet: 16.9 cm

Displacement 240 kg (with the young man):
    Freeboard of the boat I built: 16.7 cm
    Freeboard using a 244 x122cm sheet: 15.1 cm

She looks as much fine furniture as boat, A beautiful and intriguing build.

Beautyfull little boat!
    I also looked at your other designs, which I like very much.
    Do you have a file with offsets for the Little Sailor?

Cheers,
    Bart

Hola Flo-mo me encanta tu trabajo, esta barquita tiene mucho encanto. Cerca de mi casa hay un distribuidor de madera que tiene a buen precio paneles de okume de 310x150.
    Si tuviera el archivo ampliado me gustaría construirlo. O al menos tener en DXF el frontal para recortar unos marcos de apoyo y utilizar alambre para coserlo todo.
    Te prometo publicar todo el proceso. No tengo prisa ya que tengo a medias un kayak. Perdón por el abuso de confianza.
    Te dejo mi mail para cualquier cosa. itorrastrenchs@gmail.com Gracias y feliz navidad.

Hello,

"Finally, we tried to test the limits of the load-bearing capacity by putting a third person on board."

BUT!!!! Now you can say "Rub a Dub Dub Three Men in a Tub" !!!!!

Some great fun in store for a couple of little kids and a little bit of water!

Regards,
    Alan

Regards,
    Alan