Thread: Sacramento River trip

We (wife & I) are planning a vacation to Sacramento, CA in September and would like to
    take a trip down the Sacramento River to San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf with a
    return to Sacramento the same day....namely September 7. Such trip would have to
    include sufficient time at the Wharf to pig out on those delicious sour dough bowls full
    of chowder. We are not interested in the "touristy" paddle boat stuff with their candle-
    light dinner cruises, etc. etc. but would be more interested in a "work boat" type of trip
    if such an arrangement is possible. Anyone in the Sacramento - San Francisco area
    know of anything like this? Phone numbers or e-mail addresses?

Hi John,

Unless you travel on a hydrofoil, round-trip Sacramento/San Francisco is not a one day excursion. Typically it would take a day one way.

Interstate 80 which runs from Sacramento to San Francisco takes around two to three hours at 65 mph. The road is multi-laned and fairly straight.

The water route is meandering. The Sacramento River empties into the Delta region. From there you eventually pass into the Carquinez Straits, then San Pablo Bay before you get to San Francisco Bay.

Back in the 1930s, when there was regular service, people would take an overnight boat to get from one end to the other. Today people use trains, planes, or cars. Commercial watercraft are not apt to go to Fisherman's Wharf in SF. There is still a fishing fleet moored at the Wharf, but otherwise the Wharf and Pier 39 are pure "tourist."

Hope this helps.
    [Al\'s daughter]

Thanks for the reply. I've spent some time on the Sacramento River way back in 1958
    when I worked in Courtland, CA for Stromberg-Carlson, installing telephone switching equipment. I found it to be a really nice body of water and really didn't realize it was that far downstream to San Francisco. I promised myself that I would one day like to make the trip. Do you know if boat trips such as this are available on this river on a "one day down - one day back" basis? Thanks a million!

John
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation......Thoreau

Hi John,

I did a little Internet surfing but couldn't find any information for you. To the best of my knowledge there is no longer regular Sacramento/San Francisco water service. After WWII, the auto took over so strongly that river service died. I'll keep looking but I think you might be better off looking into chartering a boat, though I'm not sure that is possible either.

Take care,
    Anita
    [Al\'s daughter]

Hey john! I will be in that area in a few days. I will look for some information for you! No promises though!
    jake

Unhappy

Hi John. I am here in sunny (hot) Sacramento right now. I inquired about the river trip and my relatives tell me that there used to be a paddle wheeler here years ago (loooong ago), that now only runs about 20 minutes down river and turns arond to return to Sacramento.
    I haven't been able to find anything else, sorry!
    Bring your sunscreen ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Sacramento river is a very very long river.... it extends all the way up to the north end of the "Big Valley" (incidentally, the Sacramento River valley is the valley referred to in the old TV show). Why not just tour the river itself and end up in downtown Sacramento.

Alternately, you can rent a couple of kayaks or canoes and take a very rewarding trip down the Main Branch of the American River. You can do this in one afternoon, it is very pretty and the skill level is strickly Class 1 (i.e. anybody with basic canoe paddling skills can handle it). The Main Branch of the American goes right thru downtown Sacramento and is bordered by a very nice park...... bring sun screen!!!!

If you want to take a boat to San Francisco, I think that there is a catamaran ferry which leaves Vallejo for S.F. Vallejo is at the junction of the Napa River and the Sacramento River (Carquinez Straits). Also, there is the Napa Valley Wine Train which is a nice tour in itself.

One alternative is to take the train (providing Amtrak is still running in September)from Sacramento to Oakland and then the ferry over to San Francisco.

The tracks are laid right along the margin of the bay, so you will get a feel for the expanse of the waterway system. You'll also get a glimpse of the "Mothball" fleet in Suisun Bay and some of the big ship traffic that transists all the way to Stockton.

That's the best way I can think of. Enjoy the trip.
    When you loose control, aim for the cheapest boat