Thread: How to install drain at bilge?

Default How to install drain at bilge?

I'm close to being ready to install the drain tube at the transom. I bought both a brass tube and a plastic tube but I'm not sure how to install either one. Do they get mounted from the inside, the outside, or what?

Sorry, meant to add that the transom is 1 inch thick solid mahogany. Varnished on both sides.

Default Re: How to install drain at bilge?

They make thru hull fittings for that, typically with a barbed end that you can clamp the tube/hose to. Typically a flange that goes on the outside, and a threaded nut on the backside to make it tight. Install with a bit of bedding compound. They can be had in a variety of materials.

heres a bronze one.
    Ben Sebens, LPN

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    I'm close to being ready to install the drain tube at the transom. I bought both a brass tube and a plastic tube but I'm not sure how to install either one. Do they get mounted from the inside, the outside, or what?
    If the pic below is the type of tube and plug you're talking about, the hole is drilled at the very base of the transom and the tube is installed from the inside. You'll need to cut the tube so about 1/8" sticks out past the transom and flare the end so it won't pull back through the transom. There is a spiffy tool to do this called a flanging tool, but you can do a credible job with a small ball-peen hammer and a little patience. You will also need to bed the tube with some waterproof goop or thickened epoxy.

The plug goes on the inside, mainly to allow you to bail the boat while underway. Put a lanyard on the plug and carry a spare. Don't forget to install the plug before you launch the boat.

Hamilton Marine, and everyone else, I suppose, sells drain tubes of varying lengths for a couple of bucks a piece. Buy a few and do a couple through a piece of scrap for practice. You can roll a piece of smooth 1/2" steel rod about 8-10" or so around the inside of the tube to help start the flare, then the ball pien hammer, like Terry suggests. After that, back both ends of the flange with a hardwood scrap, and finish by flattening it against the transom with a small sledge, backed up by a bigger one. This goes a lot easier as a two person operation. Make sure you goop it up well, here is a perfect application for 5200.

Edit to add: I made a jig to make sure I got good alignment of the drill hole.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 06-05-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I bore a one and one eighth hole, smoosh some thickened epoxy around with my finger, sand it round with a dowel and sandpaper, then use a T handle plug, (not the cheapo pictured above). No tube. The tube makes a more perfect hole, but how do you know water is not getting behind it ? ( you don't)
    That said, a transom drain tube is different from a bilge drain.

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Can you post some photos of what you are trying to install? A bit hard to guess otherwise.

Meanwhile though, I wouldn't be using brass.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Make sure you goop it up well, here is a perfect application for 5200.
    [/QUOTE]

I hate 5200, and never ever recommend it. But that's the right stuff for this job.

Edit to add:

The pic shows an aluminum plug and a brass tube. Bad idea, especially in salt water. Go with a brass plug and brass tube. If you'll be boating on the salt, then go for bronze, if you can find it.
    Last edited by TerryLL; 06-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.