Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herreshoff H-28

Default Herreshoff H-28

Thanks to all who helped me make some decisions in the "No Bridge Deck" thread. The boat is out of storage and in the sun for the first time in 3 years.

I'm starting this thread to get advice as I do some repair work to get it ready for the June 29th splash date.

So, here's what she looks like in good light.

I'd like to rig up some way of getting water on it between now and June 29. I tried sprinklers, but that didn't work out too well because of the closeness to other boats and the wind. Any ideas would be appreciated. I live 4 hours away and can only be there a day or two a week, but the broker said he would turn the water on during the day if I were to rig something up.

John

Default Re: Herreshoff H-28

Lovely H28! Who built it?
    I have had success with wetting a hull by rigging burlap pads and a soaker hose around the waterline and as much of the bottom as possible. The hose can be suspended by rigging lines that are attached to the rail caps with padded hooks. The burlap pads can be propped against the hull with stands made of cheap wood.
    Jay

That looks like the Spanish built one pictured in L.F.H.'s Sensible Cruising Designs. Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Lovely H28! Who built it?
    I have had success with wetting a hull by rigging burlap pads and a soaker hose around the waterline and as much of the bottom as possible. The hose can be suspended by rigging lines that are attached to the rail caps with padded hooks. The burlap pads can be propped against the hull with stands made of cheap wood.
    Jay
    I've not been able to find any identification on the boat. I've been told that it was built in Coopersville, MI. That's all I know right now.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 06-06-2012 at 01:32 AM.

It's not the spanish one. I looked in the book and there are differences, the paneling on the after face of the house, the depth of the seats either side, the shape of the coaming at the aft end and the aft end of the cockpit has no coaming for starters. I'm sure there are others. Well done though. Can't wait to learn more about her.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

"Bright Star" has the distinction of being the Spainish built boat that is pictured in Sensible Cruising Designs.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-05-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Is there anything H28 that isn't covered by either Jay or Bright Star? LOL
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Your boat is strip planked and she has been out for 3 years? (sticker from 04)
    You have a rare chance to KEEP her dry, dynel sheathing or even just painting with coats of epoxy!

It doesn't look like any seams have opened up at all - have they? If not, why worry about keeping it wet now? Or are there some open seams below the water line?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It doesn't look like any seams have opened up at all - have they? If not, why worry about keeping it wet now? Or are there some open seams below the water line?

Rick
    There are some small separations (about 1/16") below the water line.

John

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Your boat is strip planked and she has been out for 3 years? (sticker from 04)
    You have a rare chance to KEEP her dry, dynel sheathing or even just painting with coats of epoxy!
    We know it's been out of the water for 3 years because that's how long it's been stored at the marina. Before that we don't know. It's an abandoned boat and I don't have any history on it.

John

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

She looks wonderful John, congratulations.

I hear great things about using Slickseam to fill your open seams while they close up. Are you able to get the yard to leave her in the slings overnight (assuming they use a travelift) rather than just drop you in and leave you to worry about how quickly she takes up? Though leaving her in the slings will also depend on the tidal range where you are. If they won't, or if the tidal range is too big to be able to leave it ion the slings overnight, perhaps you can schedule the last lift for the day, bring a few beers along and see if they'll dip you a couple of times so that you can run around with Slickseam where you find the leaks that weren't obvious to you before hand.

The stern-gland is likely to be one area that you may not otherwise consider but I'd imagine it will need some attention before going in.

+1 for Jays suggestion re a drip line and some hessian/burlap sacking.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    She looks wonderful John, congratulations.

I hear great things about using Slickseam to fill your open seams while they close up. Are you able to get the yard to leave her in the slings overnight (assuming they use a travelift) rather than just drop you in and leave you to worry about how quickly she takes up? Though leaving her in the slings will also depend on the tidal range where you are. If they won't, or if the tidal range is too big to be able to leave it ion the slings overnight, perhaps you can schedule the last lift for the day, bring a few beers along and see if they'll dip you a couple of times so that you can run around with Slickseam where you find the leaks that weren't obvious to you before hand.

The stern-gland is likely to be one area that you may not otherwise consider but I'd imagine it will need some attention before going in.

+1 for Jays suggestion re a drip line and some hessian/burlap sacking.
    First of all, the marina, Torreson's Marine has been great to work with. They are putting it in the sling on a Friday and leaving it there till Monday. After that, they're giving me a dock for a week free to make sure it has enough time to swell. They've been great.

I thought about Slickseam, but I thought ,since the boats been out of the water for so long, I wanted to make sure it's the wood swelling that stops the seepage, not the Slickseam. I want to make sure it's the wood doing the job, not the Slickseam. Next year, when I know the wood is good, I might use Slickseam to get sailing sooner.

No tides in the Great Lakes(:-)

The packing gland is being replaced along with the prop shaft. It was damaged a bit and I decided it was a good time to replace it.

You are very lucky to have such a good marina crew, there are plenty that'd not give a dam about you and wouldn't give you more than an hours scheduling to lift and drop her in and leave you to your own devices, but then gladly charge you full whack for another lift if you have any problems.

Do you have a bung in the hull down below the engine area somewhere? I have one on the starboard side at the lowest point of the bilge. I wonder if it'd be worth lifting your cabin sole and anything else that you can get up, give your engine a good spray with lanolin, put some plastic over it to protect it a bit anyway and then run a sprinkler hose along the inside of the hull up above the openings on low pressure? Either with the bung in to fill her up a few inches above the garboard seam and let her sit, or with the bung out so that it is being flushed through.

I built a bath around mine which was very effective and have left her in there now while I'm working away for six months, but I think that'd be too much work for you for this exercise.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I know that Larks was very successful with his introducing of moisture back into the planking of his boat. I trust in his experience on the subject. No one else I know of has gone to the extremes that he has in restoring an H28.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Is there anything H28 that isn't covered by either Jay or Bright Star? LOL
    I can understand your comment. But I can not accept your criticisim as I and others like me are nothing more than stewards for the preservation of living works of maritime art. We do the best we can and hope to share the knowledge we have accumulated over years of dedication to woodenboats.
    Jay

I can understand your comment. But I can not accept your criticisim as I and others like me are nothing more than stewards for the preservation of living works of maritime art. We do the best we can and hope to share the knowledge we have accumulated over years of dedication to woodenboats.
    Jay
    Hi Jay,

I don't think it was meant as criticism. I took it as a comment out of respect. I know I am in awe of the work you two have done. I've read all the posts, seen the videos and hope mine comes out half as good as what you two have accomplished and are accomplishing.

John

YIKES thats a great looking boat!

I'd definitely leave her as she is in terms of the bridge deck thing.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    YIKES thats a great looking boat!

I'd definitely leave her as she is in terms of the bridge deck thing.
    Thanks Redeye,

Yea, I'm leaving everything as is except the interior and the color. I plan on stripping the hull down and painting it white with the nice Herreshoff green for bottom paint. The interior is very spartan as it is now. Most of the panels in the furniture are made of press board. I'm going to tear it all out and build as close to the original plans as possible, although I think I'll skip the cedar bucket.

John

That's a real gem of a find you have there. Classic to the point of requiring all crew to wear white cotton clothing.

How about that engine? I wouldn't be surprised if that presents more issues bringing it back into service than the hull or rig.

I built a bath around mine which was very effective and have left her in there now while I'm working away for six months, but I think that'd be too much work for you for this exercise.
    Don't take too much notice of Greg (Larks) there - he goes a bit overboard. Normal people just have a rubber ducky in their bath.

I agree with the post above - she's a beauty John!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    That's a real gem of a find you have there. Classic to the point of requiring all crew to wear white cotton clothing.

How about that engine? I wouldn't be surprised if that presents more issues bringing it back into service than the hull or rig.
    Hi WoxBox,

I thought the same of the engine. I've had the marina mechanic, who by the way, is a wooden boat guy with a 28' William Fife, take a look at it. His instructions were to do what it takes to make it reliable, or tell me I need to repower. My goal is to keep the boat as original as possible. With that in mind, I want to keep the Kermath, if possible. Of course, repowering with diesel would probably make the most sense, but as many of you on this forum know, "sense" doesn't always enter into the decision. As luck would have it, the Kermath started right up and all the cylinders were up to specs as far as compression. So, with the exception of the aforementioned propeller shaft, all we need to do is change out the spark plugs, wiring, points and rotor and we're good to go.

I'm more worried about the rigging. I don't know a whole lot about rigs in general, and I certainly don't know anything about a ketch. The only sailboat I owned before this was an Alberg 30 -- a sloop. I haven't started organizing all the stays and halyards yet. I'm sure when the masts are stepped I'm going to have some surprises.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 06-06-2012 at 09:07 AM.

John Bailey,

You might want to 'lock' your other thread. No point having 2 threads running at once.

And that's a fantastic-looking boat!

Tom

No criticism here Jay. BRIGHT STAR has "the bucket", she's featured in sensible cruising, as the spanish boat, written by the man who designed the boat and she's kept in Immaculate condition. You seem to know just about everything about the class pretty much off the top of your head and as you so correctly pointed out, are a steward for her (and a mighty fine one too). Not a criticism at all. Just commenting that if anybody wants to know anything at all about the H 28 or see anything quintessentially H 28, you're the man to talk to and it's your boat they need to see.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I don't think being out of the water for three years is much different than launching in the late spring following a fall haulout, which means you will have been drying out for three months or so anyway, in this climate. If you want a jump on swelling, eight inches or so of water in the bilge would get the garboards soaking, which reduces the time in the slings considerably. We usually put seam compound in any opening-looking seam before bottom paint. For quite a while, we have been using a liquid-neoprene roofing compound, which sets up quickly and stays elastic. The stuff can be thumbed in quickly, and a soft plastic scraper gets it quite smooth and flush, reducing any need for touch-up sanding or whatever, to a bare minimum. I would guess maybe 48 hours soaking before it starts swelling. A boat that size can float while swelling with a lot of leaks with two basement-type sump pumps running. One should suffice with medium leakage.

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

The nice thing about having the boat in a lake is that if you can get a spot alongside the dock where the water is only a few inches deeper than your draft, you have an automatic insurance policy.
    My H28 was planked with cypress, which was pretty stable wood. Prior to launching, I'd use a hose or a garden sprayer to spray the inside of the hull, from the deck edge down, and leave a couple of inches in the bilge in between times. Sometimes she'd leak like crazy for a few hours, but usually overnight she'd have taken back up, and the leaks stopped.
    To cut down on the excitement, you might want to get a few bars of Ivory soap, and squish and mash them with a little water until you have something about the consistency of crisco. Slather that into any seams that show any gap at all. In cold water, no current, the "soft soap" will take a couple of days to disappear. The reason that I like this better than slick seam is that when the slick seam squeezes out as the planks swell, it forms little ridges. The soap just washes away, adding (perhaps) to the "foaming wake" stretching out behind as you set off on your first sail.
    Or something like that...

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

I used to have a 19' Atkins sloop that was powered with a Kermath "Sea Pup" engine, and it was a sweet little thing. Problem was that Kermath was long gone, and their inventory of parts was handled by Universal, and they didn't have much left by the time I called them in 1975. Then they announced that the Sea Pup would be manufactured again, named the Universal "Atomic One." Alas, it never was produced, and Universal did not make any parts.
    When I first bought my H28, it had a Universal "Blue Jacket Twin" engine, which I eventually replaced with a Volvo MD1 diesel, which the next owner replaced with an Atomic 4, and then with a two cylinder Kubota diesel. Of all of them, the Blue Jacket was the best size and power, and would drive the boat at 6 knots with so little nose and vibration that you could stand up in the bow and not hear anything over the bow wave.
    Universal had orphaned the Blue Jacket, and no parts were available.
    Of all the engines, the Atomic Four was probably the best combination of light weight, quiet, simple, cheap. Luckily, parts are still available, and it's not hard to find a good engine sitting around some boatyard shed after a rebuild. Particularly on a lake. The Atomic Fours were normally raw water cooled, and didn't live forever in salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    No criticism here Jay. BRIGHT STAR has "the bucket", she's featured in sensible cruising, as the spanish boat, written by the man who designed the boat and she's kept in Immaculate condition. You seem to know just about everything about the class pretty much off the top of your head and as you so correctly pointed out, are a steward for her (and a mighty fine one too). Not a criticism at all. Just commenting that if anybody wants to know anything at all about the H 28 or see anything quintessentially H 28, you're the man to talk to and it's your boat they need to see.
    Thank you for your comments. I had just come in from a thirteen hundred mile commute from Port Townsend to Newport Beach CA and was suffering from road fatigue and misconsrued the intent of the comment. While I am the first one to admit that I don't know everything about wooden boats, I am happy to share what I do know, if it will solve a problem or save some one from needless extra extra work or expense.
    Jay

John,

I suspect my boat has much thicker planking and I have had good success with a soaker hose in burlap stapled to the hull with monel staples. Do it from just below the boot and start by running a row of staples about 3" below the bottom of the boot. Then put the soaker hose under the burlap just above the first row of staples facing toward the hull. Use the remaining burlap above that initial row of staples to trap the hose by stapling it in place.

Once this is done you can put a few more staples in to hold the burlap against the hull down to the garboards. It should swell up quite a bit in 3-5 days. When it hits the water it will still leak a bit but the vast majority will be avoided this way.

Let us know how it goes.

--
    http://bonne-amie.blogspot.com
    S&S Design No. 1068, Nevins Yacht Yard, 1955

I learned how to operate a Travelift when my tight-seamed sloop went overboard, thanks to a sympathetic yard owner in Greenport, NY. many years ago. I would spend the night operating the levers to raise and lower the boat in the slings following the tide. By morning she would be swelled up enough to proceed to the mooring. Slick Seam helped, too. Today, thanks to progress and capitalism, the yard is a Brewers yard and one is allowed only to watch as they launch your boat and you better not say anything as they do it. It better not leak much, either. The preferred customer in these full-service yards seems to be someone with a big glass power or sail boat who uses it as a summer home and ventures out of the yard once or twice during the season. The boat spends most of its life on dry land accumulating charges and being winterized and commissioned each year. Eventually the boat owners give up and become house owners and find that house hardware costs less than half of marine hardware. Sorry for the drift. H28s are lovely boats.

Quote Originally Posted by willsailforfood View Post
    John,

I suspect my boat has much thicker planking and I have had good success with a soaker hose in burlap stapled to the hull with monel staples. Do it from just below the boot and start by running a row of staples about 3" below the bottom of the boot. Then put the soaker hose under the burlap just above the first row of staples facing toward the hull. Use the remaining burlap above that initial row of staples to trap the hose by stapling it in place.

Once this is done you can put a few more staples in to hold the burlap against the hull down to the garboards. It should swell up quite a bit in 3-5 days. When it hits the water it will still leak a bit but the vast majority will be avoided this way.

Let us know how it goes.

--
    http://bonne-amie.blogspot.com
    S&S Design No. 1068, Nevins Yacht Yard, 1955
    Ah, a sail boat diaper!!

Any particular reason I need to use Monel staples? Where would a guy get them.

John

John, I am sure that however you decide to attatch the soaker system, the burlap and soaker hose will work fine for you. I too have used monel staples in the past, with other boats, but I have come to prefer using lines to support the hose and pads that are propped up against the skin with stands made of scrap lumber. This does eleminate holes in the planking from the staples.

So far as the rig is concerned, in its original form it is a symphony of simplicity. I find that the working jib is usually enough to make the H28 handy in tight quarters. Also when under those conditions I often choose not to fly the mizzen. I have reciently set up a jiffy reef configuration that remains in place and allows for reefing her down in about three to four minutes. I did opt for something that is shown on the rigging gang list but not described in the plans which is a set of home shop made halyard snatch blocks that allow a three to one purchase for the final snugging up of the hoists. These work very well and make using a mast mounted halyard winch unecessary. I would be happy to share the drawings with you at no cost if you wish. One further thing to note is that the original rig does not give full support to the upper portion of the main mast if one is attempting to work to weather in moderate to heavy airs with a large masthead sail. The former owner of "Bright Star" proved this point by breaking the stick at the junction of the uppers doing just that. As a result, I was forced to redo the splicing job he did as it failed again just from the load of the main halyard shortly after we aquired the boat.

LF Herreshoff did design a taller rig for the H28, allowing it to be rigged as a sloop. This mast is four feet taller than the one used for the ketch rig and has an upper jumper set up that allows running all maner of head sails as well as a large chute whether it be double luffed or asemetrical. Due to the fact that the area we use the boat in is not famous for heavy airs, it is my intention to build a new taller mast for the main and retain the mizzen as well. The boat tells me that it would be happier with this set up in S. CA. Again, an effiecient jiffy reef set up using two sets of reef points will, essentially, allow us to have much more versitility with the rig.

If I can be of any assistance to you in respect to what I have just mentioned don't hesitate to ask.
    Fair Winds, Jay
    PS I like your idea of changing the color scheme to white topsides with a green bottom. We did it and I think she looks a lot better that way. I did post pictures when we did it but, if you wish I can post them again just to give you an idea of what to expect.
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-11-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your input. I'd certainly like seeing what you did with your paint job. Also, it appears I have a large genoa that will run to the top of the mast. The working jib looks like it is fractional. Is the large genoa the sail that you referred to as the "large masthead sail?". To my eyes, the top part of the mast seems thin, so, it doesn't surprise me that it could be overloaded easily. Sounds like you had a little excitement!!

John

Hi John,
    LF Herreshoff lists the big mast head headsail as a "Balloon Jib" on the drawings This sail is fine for close and broad reaching in light to moderate airs as the two main standing back stays support the main mast laterally when the wind is on or aft of the beam. However, there is no support for the stick above the junction of the upper shrouds that is several feet below the mast head when working to weather. For this reason, the mast does have a tendancy to bow and buck above that point and, when heavily loaded, can result in breaking the upper portion of the mast. The former owner of "Bright Star" believed that cranking down on the standing back stays would improve the efficincy of the rig when going to weather by bowing the mast. He did this to the point of fracturing the stick at the main halyard sheive as well. I well remember hoisting my son up the mast, one morning for rigging work that resulted in a cry for "Dad, let me down slowly the mast is broken!!" Ideed it was, it took us over a month of work to repair that stick in order to correct the mistakes made by a person that was, unfortunatly, not qualified to run the boat.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.

In case you might like to see how the color change you are thinking about might look, here is what we did.
    Jay
    B
    T

Boat Diaper on and seems to work pretty well. The broker has agreed to turn the water on and off on the days I'm not there.

Starting the count down to the June 29th splash date. Still have a lot of things to take care of.

John

In case you might like to see how the color change you are thinking about might look, here is what we did.
    Jay
    BT
    Thanks Jay. What bottom paint did you get?

John

I believe it was Interlux. I would have to search my records for that. I do remember that it was over 200 bucks a gallon!
    Jay

In the slings and closer to sailing. She'll stay in the slings all weekend, and maybe more. Then she'll be at a dock pumping away. Boat guys at the marina think it will be about a week before I can think about sailing. They say after the leaking gets down to normal we'll put the rig on. Then, she'll start leaking again. So, it'll be awhile before I get to sail her.

John

John she looks great. I take it by the shape of that hose that she's taking in and pumping out quite a bit of water, I'll be interested to hear what sort of timeframe it does eventually end up taking to ease up.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

John she looks great. I take it by the shape of that hose that she's taking in and pumping out quite a bit of water, I'll be interested to hear what sort of timeframe it does eventually end up taking to ease up.
    They've told me it's probably going to stay in the slings at least four days. After that, it'll be tied qt the dock for awhile. The combination of being put of ther water for a number of years and that is has mohagony planking will make the progress slow.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post

John, I'm wondering what sort of motor you have beneath that cockpit sole; seems to me it must be small or very compact to fit into the available space. I like the absence of a bridge deck but my 2QM15 simply requires it; it just doesn't fit otherwise. And all the more so because it seems from the pic that your cockpit seats are set lower than the deck. Maybe you could post a pic of the engine compartment? - I'd like to see how you do it :-) cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    John, I'm wondering what sort of motor you have beneath that cockpit sole; seems to me it must be small or very compact to fit into the available space. I like the absence of a bridge deck but my 2QM15 simply requires it; it just doesn't fit otherwise. And all the more so because it seems from the pic that your cockpit seats are set lower than the deck. Maybe you could post a pic of the engine compartment? - I'd like to see how you do it :-) cheers
    Actually, there's more room than appears. There's the hatch in the cockpit sole and the step inside the cabin is removable to give total access to the engine and drive shaft. It'll be very easy to work on and clean. The engine is the original Kermath Sea Cub gas engine. It's very similar to an Atomic 4. I had a mechanic go through the engine. It started right up and had good compression in all the cylinders.

I think my cockpit sole may be a bit higher than the original design. The original design shows a small step in the sole where the alternator is. My sole is flat. I suspect my sole and seats are aw bit higher to accommodate the flat sole. It's one of the few design modifications that were, apparently, made on this boat.

I'll post a picture of the engine tonight.

John

Looks to me like she's ready for the South Arm Classic Boat Show on the 14th !
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

Quote Originally Posted by michigangeorge View Post
    Looks to me like she's ready for the South Arm Classic Boat Show on the 14th !
    Hi George,

I'll be cutting it close, but I'll be there if I can!!

Best guess right now is leaving Muskegon on the 9th or 10th. Maybe we'll do an all-nighter to get there on time.

John

John nice to see the progress. I have had good luck on stubborn seams that are slow to swell up by useing the old sawdust trick. Just find an old wood box like an old drawer and secure a long batten on the back and fill it with fine sawdust from the wood shop. You just slide it along the hull past the suspected leak down to the keel and the offending seam will suck up the sawdust and swell up in a matter of minutes. I have use a coffee can in a pinch and it worked fine. The seam will continue to swell so the sawdust will not fall out but do note the spot and address it with cotton next spring. See you in the South Arm soon. John from the Patina

The boat swelled up nicely over the weekend and was taken out of the slings on Monday. The marina called yesterday and said it's at the dock with very little seepage. That's all good news and swelled up sooner then they expected. I'm biting at the bit, but can't get down there till Thursday morning.

The plan is to motor around Lake Muskegon Thursday and Friday morning. It will probably take on a bit more water. The mast will be stepped Friday afternoon. Hope to do a little sailing Saturday morning. Then it will be back up north to spend Sunday packing everything I'll need to make the sailing trip to Lake Charleviox. I'll go back down Monday, spend Monday sailing and doing final prep. Tuesday is the planned departure.

John

John,
    Just wishing you good luck and much happiness with your great little ship!
    Jay

John,
    Just wishing you good luck and much happiness with your great little ship!
    Jay
    Thanks Jay,

I'm looking forward to it. Hope to meet up some day.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    John nice to see the progress. I have had good luck on stubborn seams that are slow to swell up by useing the old sawdust trick. Just find an old wood box like an old drawer and secure a long batten on the back and fill it with fine sawdust from the wood shop. You just slide it along the hull past the suspected leak down to the keel and the offending seam will suck up the sawdust and swell up in a matter of minutes. I have use a coffee can in a pinch and it worked fine. The seam will continue to swell so the sawdust will not fall out but do note the spot and address it with cotton next spring. See you in the South Arm soon. John from the Patina
    Thanks CJM,

Looks like I'll be getting to Lake Charlevoix on July 14 or 15. Still looking for a mooring if you know of any in the area.

John