Thread: Caledonia Yawl - All done

Default Caledonia Yawl - All done

Evening,

Thanks to everyone who contributed to my questions on here during the build of my CY.

A year or so ago many will remember the conundrum I faced on deciding to build a CY or Welsfords Pathfinder. My head said Pathfinder and I my heart said CY. I'm a logical chap and normally my head wins but not this time.

I'm really pleased with my boat choice (though I'm sure if I built the Pathfinder I'd feel the same) and the Pathfinder is clearly a capable boat. I live in Scotland and there's currently a Scottish Coastal Rowing project for which Iain O designed the St.Ayles skiff. Indeed the club I'm a member of have completed one and are building a second. The CY is a great boat for our waters.

If anyones interested (in anycase I've seen these questions asked before) here's the vital statistics...

It took me (estimated) 500 hours work. I did it in a little over a year at 3 evenings most weeks plus the odd few hours at the weekend.

My boat is workboat finish - I can live with that as I don't get upset with every scratch and scrape (as has already happened!!)

What did it cost...I reckon about 3000.... I got a cracking deal on 5ply Okoume plywood from Robbins in Bristol. You won't find many exotic hardwoods on my boat. Gunwales, thwarts etc are all Douglas Fir. I saved a huge amount of time by sending John Moody a timber list and getting him to cut/plane to size. This cost doesnt include the outboard - I already had a 2.5hp Yamaha which shoves her along nicely. I did take James McMullens advice and kit her out for rowing and while I would want to row any huge distance, it's a pleasant row to get out from the slip and I'm glad I fitted it out this way. The outboard does have it's place for me though - rowing her against the tide and wind for any distance is not my idea of fun. I built the trailer myself too. If anyones interested I'm happy to post photo's and a material list. I know some places the laws make it a bit tricky to use home built trailers on the road but in the UK it's not too bad. Patrick Selman (www.gaffsails.co.uk) did a fab job of my lug sail. I did contemplate doing it myself but I'm glad I let a pro do it. He made me a huge sailbag so I can be super lazy and just put the yard/boom/sail straight into the bag without having to set it up each time. I can be on the water in just a few minutes from arrival at the slipway.

I've been out a couple of times in the boat, once with just the outboard as there was zero wind...v.noisy!! But good practice for launch & recovery. Today I was out with a colleague for 3 hrs (who has much more sailing experience than me) and his wife andwe all had a great time. Winds were v.light and the boat made a reasonably consistent 3.5-4 knots on the gps. We saw over 5knots at one stage.

I don't have the mizzen (though I can still put it in with only minor surgery needed). I'm going to see how I get on without it first. I'm aware of the disadvantages but I was a happy chap today.

So, I'm delighted with my boat. I'll post photo's of her on the water when I get them.

I'll still be on here - I love wooden boats (the CY was my second build) and will answer questions where I can.

Thanks again

Ben

Default Re: Caledonia Yawl - All done

Congratulations, getting a boat you have built actually, finally on the water as an achievement to be proud of. Those last few weeks seem to drag forever.

I definitely agree. I could have planked another hull in the time it took me to do all the fiddly bits and pieces that had to be done after the painting/varnishing was complete. Makes my question of should I build the 4 or 7 strake Cy daft. Thinking I could save a significant amount of time building the 4 strake-crazy!!! I chose the looks of the seven strake..and the fact Iain O tweaked it slightly for sailing as few people seemed to row the 4 strake CY

Thanks for the report, Ben. Now we just need to see some photos.
    It's always amazing to me that a big boat like the Caledonia Yawl (sloop?) is so capacious and seaworthy in heavy air yet can still ghost along with almost no wind at all.

Steven

Congratulations on finishing the boat. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Thanks for the report, Ben. Now we just need to see some photos.
    It's always amazing to me that a big boat like the Caledonia Yawl (sloop?) is so capacious and seaworthy in heavy air yet can still ghost along with almost no wind at all.

Steven
    In an early voyage in my CY, Xena, we were ghosting along in a canal with big houses on either side in the coastal community of Shell Point, Florida. There was almost no apparent wind and yet we were ghosting along at a slow walking speed. We came to an intersection of the two major canals of the community and the wind in the other canal was a straight shot for the sea breeze coming off the Gulf of Mexico. Just a few yards into the intersection Xena lunged forward like a racehorse out of the gate. We couldn't believe the acceleration she displayed. After the intersection of the two canals Xena again shut down to the slow walk as before until we got to the more open area of the boat landing. We then dropped the main and sailed under mizzen alone to the ramp. That mizzen comes in mighty handy sometimes. It can also balance the helm nicely and add a bit of power sailing wind and wing downwind. And Ben, you don't get to call it a Caledonia Yawl until you slap on that mizzen. Like you, I sailed Xena for a little while as a sloop (2007 WoodenBoat Show, Mystic Seaport, CT) but the mizzen really was a great addition.

Welcome on the water mate. Youll love it.
    Id go for the mizzen.
    Max

Cheers to you, biglad! What's her name? I need to know so I can toast you both properly!
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Here's a photo of Rosie...

This one is of Chris and I, Chris at the helm with the Forth Rail and Road bridges in the background.