Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12212223 LastLast

Thread: Oughtred - Grey Seal

Default Re: Oughtred - Grey Seal

Thanks Ian. I’m at the boat now but its slow. Ill give me a slappin” and get back into it soon

Good to see you back into it Andrew. Keep the pics and the nice progress happening. Fast is over-rated (in terms of building 'em).
    PeterW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWidders View Post
    Good to see you back into it Andrew. Keep the pics and the nice progress happening. Fast is over-rated (in terms of building 'em).
    Thank God for that !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes, even a little bit each day keeps it moving.
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Hi everyone, thought I’d stick a few more pictures up to show the progress ( or more accurately where I’m up to )
    A shot here of the MDF dummy floor panels which I’m going to replace with ply clad in Dynel and will be fastened down with some pretty clever litttle do-dads in the second picture. The fasteners are the four things on the left and you get a kit of drill bits and a special bit to drill through floor into beam underneath for fitment. I’m going to do that after I’ve painted the panels so I don’t gum up the fittings with paint etc.

FFA70F5E-B30D-4B77-AC95-02769D5FF943.jpg
    04A4F191-1694-4B27-A7D4-54CC82793997.jpg

When I get sick of playing with fiddly bits i start another big job so consequently I’ve got about half a dozen things on the go, but its all progress! One of those bigger jobs is fitting out the cockpit with seats and lockers. As the boat has two quarter berths extending back under cockpit ( next pic) I wanted to have curved over edges of seats as it’ll probably be the most used part of the boat. At the left of photo is the lazarette and between that and quarter berths (to the right) I have a space that’ll be cockpit lockers. They will be angled inwards as the cockpit is narrower aft...

756BD769-2A0C-43A8-8EC2-C1B2CE10FF90.jpg

I put that router table I made to use here and machined up some timbers to use on the seat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meantime Ive still got the shelving task simmering away and when I feel like a change I play with that. On the shelves that are level with waterline its pretty easy to come up with a fiddle design but those angled shelves are using up some 3am zzz’s. You can also see another jobs headway here and that’s the hinged doors on the lockers, this one doesn’t have varnish on yet which is why it looks a little odd. They will have a finger hole for one of those inside catches.

3AC7A2FC-2276-4FD9-A2C1-AF9F361FDA17.jpg

Here’s the port side which is part way through with fiddles and yet to have doors

0422A571-6567-4D89-8546-CAE11E5342D5.jpg

And lastly I’ve put a shot here of the side deck framing only because I don’t think I’ve put one before

94D54776-32EE-4AA5-BDC2-6C99C708B587.jpg

Cant believe I’m saying this but, I’m looking forward to start painting inside cabin and varnishing a few hardwood bits of trim. Cant wait for the contrast of ‘popping’ trim against cream paint.

See you’se next time

Glad to see the progress. Hope all is well. Looking forward to seeing some paint too.
    Travis.

Yes alls as well as expected for a plus 50. Thanks for asking Travis.

You certainly have not been idle, Andrew. She's all looking very neat. Pleased to see you've got that bit of concavity in the foredeck kingplank, to be compatible with the sheer.
    Yes, a bit of paint will do wonders for your enthusiasm.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

Thanks Ian, yes its easy enough getting the king plank to shape but the telling bit will be laying the ply on to it, given the athwartships curvature as well. Fingers crossed.

Hi Andrew, great progress! You can suspend shelves on little knees on frames and leave a gap off the hull. This makes them easier to clean and paint and they won't trap moisture. Leave a gap under the rail/s at the front too.

Rick

Thanks Rick, to be honest I hadn’t paid much attention to future housekeeping maintenance of the shelves except perhaps to put gaps at end of fiddles to sponge out rubbish. I’m trying to picture what you mean by “leave a gap under rail at the front too”. Can you explain further please, do you mean fiddles/?
    I’m picturing biro’s/small bits, rolling off shelves into bilges and that’s why I’ve enclosed them.

Hi Andrew,
    To put the foredeck on, you have to do it in two halves. Cut one half a little bit oversize all around, and screw it down temporarily along the inwale. Then kneel on it to force it down against the kingplank. With a wide flexible batten held horizontally cross-wise, and looking straight down on it, mark the centreline. Take the deck-piece off the boat and cut the centreline. It will come out slightly concave. Then you can use it as a pattern for the other side, and do a trial fit of both halves together. The plywood will take a bit of "torturing". You can always glue a trim-piece over the joint, but I'm sure you won't have to.
    Cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian, what purpose does the wide batten serve? Do i mark the centre line on it before holding over ply, using the opposite gunwhale as a datum? Do you mean hold it across the boat or for/aft?
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Thanks Rick, to be honest I hadn’t paid much attention to future housekeeping maintenance of the shelves except perhaps to put gaps at end of fiddles to sponge out rubbish. I’m trying to picture what you mean by “leave a gap under rail at the front too”. Can you explain further please, do you mean fiddles/?
    I’m picturing biro’s/small bits, rolling off shelves into bilges and that’s why I’ve enclosed them.
    I wouldn't have fiddles, as such. Just have a rail or two along the front to stop things from sliding off. Put all small objects in trays or baskets. Attach the rails only with screws so they're easily removed. In the long run, you'll be very pleased when it comes to cleaning, painting and sanding, and your boat will be better ventilated.

Rick

Bugger, don’t you wish I had of asked for alternatives first. Double bugger. What you say makes a lot of sense Rick.

I didn't know whether you'd already fitted the shelves. It's not a big deal. You might be able to do something like that with the ones that aren't fitted yet? And it might be possible to adapt what you have. Or just go with what you have and maybe adapt them in the distant future when it's time for some renewal of paint etc.

Rick

By a wide batten, I mean one with a straight edge, and wide enough that it won't edge-set, say 80 or 100 mm.
    Draw the centreline down the middle of the kingplank first. Screw the half foredeck panel around the gunwale and along the kingplank, with the inner (straight) edge of the deck piece at the centreline of the kingplank at each end. (You will have to kneel on it to screw it along the kingplank. The straight edge of the deck piece will appear slightly convex when seen from above, and will be overlapping the c/l in the middle.) Then fasten (hot-melt glue?) the end corners of the batten on the centreline, keeping it level athwartships to keep the inner edge directly above the centreline of the boat, and kneel on the middle of it. Draw the centreline along the deck piece. The line will be concave when you take the piece off the boat and trim the edge. After that you can use the piece as a pattern for the other side. When you force the inner edges down onto the kingplank, they should meet in the middle. I did my Eun Mara foredeck that way with 9mm ply, and it worked OK. Is the GS deck 9 or 12 mm?
    Cheers, Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 04-18-2018 at 03:40 PM. Reason: The line will be concave (not convex).

Building boats is so much more fun than repairing them...from my experience anyway.
    Lovely job.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I agree.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanMilne View Post
    By a wide batten, I mean one with a straight edge, and wide enough that it won't edge-set, say 80 or 100 mm.
    Draw the centreline down the middle of the kingplank first. Screw the half foredeck panel around the gunwale and along the kingplank, with the inner (straight) edge of the deck piece at the centreline of the kingplank at each end. (You will have to kneel on it to screw it along the kingplank. The straight edge of the deck piece will appear slightly convex when seen from above, and will be overlapping the c/l in the middle.) Then fasten (hot-melt glue?) the end corners of the batten on the centreline, keeping it level athwartships to keep the inner edge directly above the centreline of the boat, and kneel on the middle of it. Draw the centreline along the deck piece. The line will be concave when you take the piece off the boat and trim the edge. After that you can use the piece as a pattern for the other side. When you force the inner edges down onto the kingplank, they should meet in the middle. I did my Eun Mara foredeck that way with 9mm ply, and it worked OK. Is the GS deck 9 or 12 mm?
    Cheers, Ian
    Thanks for clearing that up Ian. BTW its 12mm

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Building boats is so much more fun than repairing them...from my experience anyway.
    Lovely job.
    Yes I can imagine Gary. When you built did you epoxy coat the ply? Just trying to learn why you’re having so much trouble

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Yes I can imagine Gary. When you built did you epoxy coat the ply? Just trying to learn why you’re having so much trouble
    3-4 coats of Everdure inside and out. My trouble was and is still the result of 15 years of neglect under a tarp. I'm going to do one more big haul out in a few months that should see an end to it all and with luck a far better boat in which to coastal cruise.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Hi Andrew,

the boat is looking fantastic. The moment when color goes on really is a special one: Formerly separated building elements are integrated and out comes - a boat. Looking forward to this.
    Thomas
    -----------------------------------
    panta rei

Good luck Gary, I know a little how you feel, my projects take about 10 times longer than originally planned too.

Thanks Thomas, glad to have you on board. I am a huge fan of Paul Gartside so much so I recently almost engaged him to draw me a plan set for a 28’ cutter but due to my current build and too many other things on my ‘bucket list’ I pulled out. Hence my interest in your build.

Nice progress Andrew. The large radius finish on your cockpit seat edge is worthwhile i reckon, nice looking bit of timber too, what is that? . Cockpit locker-lid-drainage always seems to be a lot of work, look forward to seeing how you do yours.

Hi Ian, That’s Douglas Fir about 30rings/inch. I’m looking forward to figuring out the drainage too. I’m putting it on the back burner for a bit while I get it straight in my head. Painting in cabin before hand.

Smile Re: Oughtred - Grey Seal

You might have to clamp down the 12mm foredeck pieces harder than just kneeling on them, but I'm sure you'll do it alright.
    Ian

Hello all, Not much for show & tell today, most of the stuff I’m doing is fiddly bits and pieces thats not really photgenical.
    I finally got around to making up a wooden “mould” Not sure what you call them, but thanks to Peter Sibley I made it anyway. It’s the blank for a bow fitting that will take the trailer winch hook when the time comes.
    I found a foundry ( not a typo ) that quoted me $50 to cast it in bronze for me and then all i had to do was finesse it with a sander and Dremel polishing.
    674B4570-C877-489C-8D54-FD09EE03FEC8.jpgA49DDE39-5B8B-448F-B92D-F1FCD63A707E.jpg
    Afterwards came the nerve wracking part of drilling hulls through the hull all the while missing things inside but having the fitting in near enough the right position to exert the pull at about the water line ish.
    Given that the pull is at an angle to the bolts I have cast some epoxy plugs to spread the load over more of the stem.
    A00439CB-7217-4331-BC49-E1A605B5BF9D.jpg
    Inside hull will have some 4mm thick home-made washers etc. Drilling the bronze was a tedious affair sneaking up on the final size of 13mm then using the Dremel with a carbide cutter to cut the square hole for the Coach bolts. This hole doesn’t go right through the fitting so it was lucky this worked otherwise I don’t know what I’d have done.
    2E59690A-146C-4E3F-9F1F-00F83C22525E.jpgCE089EC6-2BAF-49AE-8D0B-5051D20DB42F.jpg

When the epoxy slugs have set properly after a few days I’ll bed the fitting with butyl tape ( thanks John ) in slightly countersunk holes both in the boat and back side of fitting so that a strip/bead of Butyl will hopefully stop any water ingress. Ha.

Here’s a pic of what this is all about. Not finally fitted yet but you get the idea.
    56515F86-B696-4176-BC3C-7C9CA9216BF6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 07-19-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Andrew, I worked out an easier way of broaching square holes. I used it for my rudder gudgeons and the towing eye on the stem on JIM.

I found a bit of tool steel amongst my gear and roughly cut "teeth" into it with an angle grinder with a thin disc then forced it though the drilled hole with my vice.

P4110451.jpg

P4110453.jpg

P4110454.jpg

P4110455.jpg

P4120458.jpg
    Grateful Dead

Yes i Had that in mind all the while i was cutting these squares out Peter. Dunno if you can see but my fitting is about 20 mm thick where the bolts go through so I didnt want the squares all the way though creating a corner/weak spot for crack to start. This boat will weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 2 1/2 tons.
    Thanks Anyhoo.

Nicely done Andrew!
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Another little adventure I’m on is bolting the chainplates to the hull. The forward ones are right over where some Twit built inside some knees that are exactly where the bolts come through. Hmmmm, Sack him

26AD5EDA-9E42-4FD4-9C06-2F8BEE633D6F.jpg53EDB980-9564-40B8-8B8F-52B14D6A1760.jpg

Here’s a closeup shot of the problem

BA39426A-7255-4D54-80D1-6E092D0CAB76.jpg

So it means cutting a slot in knee and a space for nut with a 4 x 40 square washer to go inside on frame.

164FF557-DBA3-4E34-B8CF-C9349772783C.jpg

..... Onwards.

Nicely solved !
    Grateful Dead