Page 1 of 21 1211 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 707

Thread: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Recently started, 19 ft Sailboat

    Everyone's welcome for comments

    On April 18th 2012, I've started building my own wooden boat. Plans are from DN Goodchild, the boat is a 19 ft Cruising Sailboat. I'm retired, so I can put more hours working on the project. I know many hours and much effort are required, but I'm ready for that. Over 25 years ago, I have built 4 model ships, 3 plastic (but highly detailed, more than Revel plans, and a wooden model of the famous Schooner ''The Bluenose''.

    I have built 4 years ago, full rigging to sail my cedar canoe, this canoe sails very well and many good sailing days were done.

    Now I think it's time for ''real'' sailing, that's why I have purchassed plans and started builing this nice boat.

    It was First necessary to trace frames pattern on tracing paper.

    There are 11 frames, including transom. Stem was a good challenge and is an excellent ''piece of art''.

    So far, on May 25 th 2012, Keelform is done.

    Time now to build workbench and start construction of the boat.

    During boat construction, I will take pictures and show them on my Photobucket site.

    Here are a few pics showing first steps:

    Note: I want to say here special thanks to M. Donald Branscom, builder of a similar boat done few years ago, He help me in the beginning of construction. Good tips and picture sharing where realy a good help, Thank you Donald.

    http://s1045.photobucket.com/albums/b458/Sailcanoefan/19%20ft%20cruising%20sailboat/

    Boat Being built
    Mon Voilier 3.jpg

    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-20-2017 at 08:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: Recently started, 19 ft Sailboat

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    On April 18th 2012, I've started building my own wooden boat. Plans are from DN Goodchild, the boat is a 19 ft Cruising Sailboat. I'm retired, so I can put more hours working on the project. I know many hours and much effort are required, but I'm ready for that. Over 25 years ago, I have built 4 model ships, 3 plastic (but highly detailed, more than Revel plans, and a wooden model of the famous Schooner ''The Bluenose''.

    I have built 4 years ago, full rigging to sail my cedar canoe, this canoe sails very well and many good sailing days were done.

    Now I think it's time for ''real'' sailing, that's why I have purchassed plans and started builing this nice boat.

    It was First necessary to trace frames pattern on tracing paper.

    There are 11 frames, including transom. Stem was a good challenge and is an excellent ''piece of art''.

    So far, on May 25 th 2012, Keelform is done.

    Time now to build workbench and start construction of the boat.

    During boat construction, I will take pictures and show them on my Photobucket site.

    Here are a few pics showing first steps:

    Note: I want to say here special thanks to M. Donald Branscom, builder of a similar boat done few years ago, He help me in the beginning of construction. Good tips and picture sharing where realy a good help, Thank you Donald.

    http://s1045.photobucket.com/albums/...ng%20sailboat/
    You are welcome.
    The boat is a "seaworthy boat" with a good captain.

    If you have any problems or questions please feel free to ask.

    The chine is easier with two pieces.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Recently started, 19 ft Sailboat

    About Frame No:1, pics show a ''full opening'' to frame to leave room to stem.

    That's why you added one more board.

    Is that right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: Recently started, 19 ft Sailboat

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    About Frame No:1, pics show a ''full opening'' to frame to leave room to stem.

    That's why you added one more board.

    Is that right?
    YES. You are right.

    Just bolt the board in so you can remove it later.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 05-28-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    And another DN Goodchild is born .

    I really like to see that revival of the '40, '50 and early '60s spirit when boats were a joy and challenge to build.
    And the pride of the owner.

    The whole frozen s$$t fleet is getting so boring, and this show off behaviour of all those snobs in their deigner outfits. . ., oh stop that rant beernd

    I am a first time buider to and I am building "Compact", an outboard cruiser.

    Cheers and keep us posted

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: Recently started, 19 ft Sailboat

    ah!! temporary, I got it, thank you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Thanks BeerND

    I don't know from what year this 19 ft boat I'm building is, but surely around the '60.

    But that doesn't matter, the year means nothing.

    Better!!!! these boat can now be constructed with modern materials such as epoxy and fiberglass.

    The pleasure to ''see'' step by step my boat being a reality every time I put few hours on it is great. Imagine, from a simple plan and some raw materials, ending with a nice boat is an immense joy.

    Are you also building a DN Goodchild boat?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Yes I am building the "Compact" a 25 ft outboard cruiser.

    Thread is titled "First build from a DNGoodchild plan"

    Great expierience puzzling out things from tiny plans with sometimes unreadable figures, it's all in the game

    Nobody could pay me enough money to stop me doing this building adventure.

    BTW I am no carpenter at all, build some birds houses and a chicken coop, which makes this whole thing even more exiting.

    Cheerio and please keep us posted

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    This is a photo of the boat being built.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Thanks ''Beer''. I'm no carpenter either, I've built model boats in the past, 3 plastics, one wooden ''Bluenose'', nice boat.

    I made a jump to see your thread concerning the Compact, that's bigger than mine!!!

    Time and plans study are very important. There comes a time when you ''see'' 3D in your mind exactly what you should do at this specific moment. I don't understand immediatly either, but I look plans, study...if I don't understand, my good friend Donald gives me the right information....I am very lucky to have someone who has built the same boat as I'm building.

    Yes pic above shows the boat I'm constructing.

    BTW, today I've started to build the framework on which my boat will be constructed. Tomorrow, I will finish this job and start to align the keelform, frames, keelson and keel (this for the next 2 or 3 days to come).

    2 pics included.
    Stem
    IMGP2449.jpg

    Frame Making
    IMGP2430.jpg

    Few Frames
    IMGP2431.jpg

    Notch for keelson
    IMGP2442.jpg

    Keelform installation (not permanent)
    IMGP2468.jpg
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    [QUOTE=sailcanoefan;3429056]Thanks ''Beer''. I'm no carpenter either, I've built model boats in the past, 3 plastics, one wooden ''Bluenose'', nice boat.





    Shortened to save space.

    Nice photos of you with the stem.
    Must be great to be in the middle of this project.

    You will now come to the place where you need to decide which way the frames will face.
    I looked at the photos and it seemed like in the center of the boat they either faced aft or they faced forward.

    Oh by the way the limber holes need to be cut NOW on the bottoms of the frames.
    I think the instructions talk about that. Not sure.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 05-30-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Donald, I start making the frames with PL Premium glue witch seemed to be ok. But I ended with doubt...then I used epoxy with new jointers...that's why frames have double jointers.... PL Premium maker write on the tube this glue is not recommended for immersion. Finally I will use exclusively epoxy where needed. I thicken epoxy with cabosil, more or less depending of the job to be done.

    Yes I'm proud to show the stem. It was a challenge to trace it on paper from such a small image on plans. I use a lot of a magnifying glass, double and triple checks often. Then I was lucky last week to purchase a used 10 inch
    bandsaw. I will need this saw very often; like making wooden blocks next winter and more stuff.

    Yeah, limber holes, I thought to drill them out when mounted on framework.... but you're right, it's easier now. I think I will drill holes and glue short plastic tubing with epoxy thickened to paste, this will protect wood.

    When time will come, when boat will be turned to it's normal position, I will ''paint'' interior with epoxy resin using a brush, then spary 2 coats of 2 parts varnish (dyed in white) to protect wood.

    I would like very much to see your boat ''live''. Distance is so great.

    BTW, are you buying sails of make them? Dacron? Or you make cheap sails temporary from polytarp?
    Don't lose your enthousiasm, you're almost there.

    Thank you for help

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Donald, I start making the frames with PL Premium glue witch seemed to be ok. But I ended with doubt...then I used epoxy with new jointers...that's why frames have double jointers.... PL Premium maker write on the tube this glue is not recommended for immersion. Finally I will use exclusively epoxy where needed. I thicken epoxy with cabosil, more or less depending of the job to be done.

    Yes I'm proud to show the stem. It was a challenge to trace it on paper from such a small image on plans. I use a lot of a magnifying glass, double and triple checks often. Then I was lucky last week to purchase a used 10 inch
    bandsaw. I will need this saw very often; like making wooden blocks next winter and more stuff.

    Yeah, limber holes, I thought to drill them out when mounted on framework.... but you're right, it's easier now. I think I will drill holes and glue short plastic tubing with epoxy thickened to paste, this will protect wood.

    When time will come, when boat will be turned to it's normal position, I will ''paint'' interior with epoxy resin using a brush, then spary 2 coats of 2 parts varnish (dyed in white) to protect wood.

    I would like very much to see your boat ''live''. Distance is so great.

    BTW, are you buying sails of make them? Dacron? Or you make cheap sails temporary from polytarp?
    Don't lose your enthousiasm, you're almost there.

    Thank you for help
    I would not use poly tarp for sails. It looks like poly tarp.
    I will probably buy used sails and have them cut down, or just order new sails.

    BTW Get the inside of the boat painted before you put the deck on.
    Also paint the underside of the deck panels before you put them in place.

    I made patterns for the plywood panels with small sticks and a hot glue gun.
    I will see if I can find a photo.
    Only one photo.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 05-31-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Yes, poly tarp is poly tarp...probably good for those who can't wait!!!!!

    Can you or your wife make stiches with a sewing machine? If so, you can save a lot of $$$.
    Dacron is not cheap. See link below for sails from Stevenson project, model VACATIONER, (CLICK) they have good price for sails. Jib is ok but main sail has four (4) sides, a simple modificafion to your mast is required (shorter)...unless you make a new one. (NOTE: Once on the site, scroll down page to see sails).

    I drilled limber holes today. In each one there is a plastic tubing protecting wood, glued with PL Premium....

    I didn't have choice to stop 3 days because I had a sore leg (left), getting better now.

    Thanks for that pic

    See ya
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-19-2017 at 04:19 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Yes, poly tarp is poly tarp...probably good for those who can't wait!!!!!

    Can you or your wife make stiches with a sewing machine? If so, you can save a lot of $$$.
    Dacron is not cheap. See link below for sails from Stevenson project, model VACATIONER, (CLICK) they have good price for sails. Jib is ok but main sail has four (4) sides, a simple modificafion to your mast is required (shorter)...unless you make a new one. (NOTE: Once on the site, scroll down page to see sails).

    I drilled limber holes today. In each one there is a plastic tubing protecting wood, glued with PL Premium....
    Pics included here: Limber holes on few frames, and beginning of framework.
    I didn't have choice to stop 3 days because I had a sore leg (left), getting better now.

    Thanks for that pic

    See ya
    Sorry to hear about your leg.
    Take care of yourself or that boat will never get finished.
    You are the most important tool in the boat building box.

    The plastic tubes for the limber holes is very nice.
    IT is not traditional though. It will leave some water in the bilges.
    I guess you already know that.
    Usually it is a semi circle cut out of the bottom edge like a mouse hole.
    so that all of the water will drain.

    You could add two more limber holes to each frame on the bottom edge.
    They also allow air to flow through the space too. A good thing.
    You still have a chance to do that.



    The tent and frame that you have set up to build your boat looks very nice.
    Of course the frame you have built should be level in both directions too.
    That is very important.

    Everything looks great.

    BTW one of the forum members did some actual tests with PL Premium glue
    and he made joints glued together and then soaked them in water and tested them.
    You can look those up online. It will give you great faith in that glue.

    I used a cheaper form of that glue many years ago called PL400 sub floor adhesive
    and on the package it said it could be applied to FROZEN lumber.
    The PL Premium is better.
    I used it to glue wood blocks to a steel boat to attach wood bulkheads.
    When the glue was dry I tried hitting the wood block with a hammer to knock them
    off of the steel. All it did was finally split the wood block but the wood stayed
    attached to the steel.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 06-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Your last reply was a good one. The ''tent'' is not a tent!!!. It's a car shelter for winter (here in Quebec, we have a real long and cold winter) sometime I wish I was living in California.

    You're right about limber holes. I think I didn't get the real idea about how they work (run water to a point where bilge pump is located, then pump it out). I will consider making a change to what you say. There is a reason I should consider also; the boat is not intended for being wet over a long period of time. Sometime one day, or few days, a week or a weekend. So if bilge get wet sometime, I will wipe it out from there with a cloth and let dry. I won't leave it docked in a marina...

    Yep, I know strongback should be at level, thank you for reminding me.

    Concerning PL Premium....hum I still have doubt....sorry (talking below waterline). But I will consider when builing the cabin, later. It's a wonderful glue to use, direct from the tube, no mixing 2 parts, like epoxy.

    Did you have a look to Stevenson project link (click the blue writing)?

    Today I made notches on keelform for sitting frames.

    IMGP2472.jpg


    Bye.
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-19-2017 at 09:52 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Your last reply was a good one. The ''tent'' is not a tent!!!. It's a car shelter for winter (here in Quebec, we have a real long and cold winter) sometime I wish I was living in California.

    You're right about limber holes. I think I didn't get the real idea about how they work (run water to a point where bilge pump is located, then pump it out). I will consider making a change to what you say. There is a reason I should consider also; the boat is not intended for being wet over a long period of time. Sometime one day, or few days, a week or a weekend. So if bilge get wet sometime, I will wipe it out from there with a cloth and let dry. I won't leave it docked in a marina...

    Yep, I know framework should be at level, thank you for reminding me.

    Concerning PL Premium....hum I still have doubt....sorry (talking below waterline). But I will consider when builing the cabin, later. It's a wonderful glue to use, direct from the tube, no mixing 2 parts, like epoxy.

    Did you have a look to Stevenson project link (click the blue writing)?

    Today I made notches on keelform for frames.
    By.
    As far as my comments just take what you like. I am never condescending, I just want to cover all the bases just in case,since I do not know you.

    I like your limber hole plastic tubes. I would just ADD some regular ones on each frame, somewhere.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    You are right.... I will do it.

    You have the skill that I don't have!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-19-2017 at 04:26 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Donald, I consider myself very lucky to be able to ''talk'' to you and see your boat pictures. You share your expertise generously. Among all wooden boats pictures and discussions available on this forum and everywhere else on the web, it looks like that your boat is the only one visible. Surely there are plenty of boat of the same type were built and exist elsewhere, but that I do not know.

    Again I'm very lucky. I think I could have built this boat without somebody's help, but it's much more easy to do while looking at your pictures, and reading your tips and hints.

    Thanks again, for your support so far, and hopefully for futur.

    Photo: Me tracing full size frame layout.
    IMGP3395.jpg
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-26-2017 at 06:52 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Donald it's done!!! I've change limber holes with plastic tubing to ''regular'' or conventional type. Inside walls are covered with thickened epoxy to protect wood againts rot.

    What do think of the job?

    IMGP2453.jpg
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-17-2017 at 11:45 AM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Donald it's done!!! I've change limber holes with plastic tubing to ''regular'' or conventional type. Inside walls are covered with thickened epoxy to protect wood againts rot.

    What do thik of the job?
    I thought you might do that.
    That is why i suggested adding two more limber holes instead
    of changing the ones you already made.
    The holes with the tubes were strong,but when you cut down to
    the bottom it left a small piece to take all of the strain. Not good.

    The small pieces between the keel are so weak there could be movement there.
    Really worries me!

    Here is what i would do if it was my boat.
    I would cut that thin piece out and just glue a square block in that spot and redo the limber holes all over.
    You will be glad you did. I will post a photo.

    Just back up one step, and get this part right.
    Fill that old limber hole back in - all of it.

    I am sorry I did not comment more completely.
    You are still good because it can still be fixed. No problem.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 06-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    I drill holes close to keelson because I read somewhere limber holes should be close to keelson. I never thought they could be where you show position on the picture.

    Ok that tiny part of wood may be weak at first sight.

    But.... will this still be a problem later when keelson, keel, and plywood will be fix with screews and glue with epoxy?
    This can be consider...

    Waiting answer before making change.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    I drill holes close to keelson because I read somewhere limber holes should be close to keelson. I never thought they could be where you show position on the picture.

    Ok that tiny part of wood may be weak at first sight.

    But.... will this still be a problem later when keelson, keel, and plywood will be fix with screews and glue with epoxy?
    This can be consider...

    Waiting answer before making change.
    The reason some books may say to put the holes close to the keelson is because
    it is the deepest part of the bilge.
    But this boat bottom is only about 12 angle. It is completely different situation.
    Make the semi circular hole mouse size. Small mouse.

    Just the boat rocking side to side will drain the water.
    The holes are in each frame so that the water will find the lowest point.

    I will post a drawing or photo.

    I should have made my mouse holes a little larger but you get the idea.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 06-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Ok. Now I understand. Almost flat bottom...yep. As I said previously, I've never built a boat before, except for model boats.

    More job to be done, I'm learning the hard way for these limber holes.

    Tomorrow, Sunday, maybe I'll find an hour to do the job (drilling new holes)
    And fill up all ''first'' holes with a good filler.

    Thanks again.

    NOTE: If you find sometime my english poor, please forgive me for my first language is french.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Ok. Now I understand. Almost flat bottom...yep. As I said previously, I've never built a boat before, except for model boats.

    More job to be done, I'm learning the hard way for these limber holes.

    Tomorrow, Sunday, maybe I'll find an hour to do the job (drilling new holes)
    And fill up all ''first'' holes with a good filler.

    Thanks again.

    NOTE: If you find sometime my english poor, please forgive me for my first language is french.
    After it is all painted you will forget all about it.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    He must be working on those frames.
    Probably pissed off too.
    Not his fault really.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Yes, pissed off partly, but not to make me abandon job!!!!!!

    I post now the definitive ''Limber Holes''

    Old ones have been filled up and I've drill new holes. Great job. Was a rainy and dull day anyhow.
    I was almost to leave holes like they were, but I finally got that peak of courage to start over.

    I'm sure this time they're ok.

    Job done !!! finally.

    Time to start next job, framework levelling and alignment -
    Then start set up positionning frames, stem etc.etc.

    My goal is to finish exterior hull and put the boat to it's normal position before september...then If time permits
    work a little more inside, like protecting inside walls with epoxy and paint them white Polyurethane.

    For ending fall and over winter, make sails, mast, rigging, wooden strop blocks (bigger) for boom, because i already have
    a plenty made previously for my sailing canoe.

    Next spring, 2013 around mid-april, after winter, will be time to work making seats, cut slot for centerboard, etc, etc.

    I want to sail the boat next year, even if cabin is not built, cabin may be terminated later in season.


    IMGP2460.jpg
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-17-2017 at 10:14 AM.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Yes, pissed off partly, but not to make me abandon job!!!!!!

    I post now the definitive ''Limber Holes''

    Old ones have been filled up and I've drill new holes. Great job. Was a rainy and dull day anyhow.
    I was almost to leave holes like they were, but I finally got that peak of courage to start over.

    I'm sure this time they're ok.

    Job done !!! finally.

    Time to start next job, framework levelling and alignment -
    Then start set up positionning frames, stem etc.etc.

    My goal is to finish exterior hull and put the boat to it's normal position before september...then If time permits
    work a little more inside, like protecting inside walls with epoxy and paint them white Polyurethane.

    For ending fall and over winter, make sails, mast, rigging, wooden strop blocks (bigger) for boom, because i already have
    a plenty made previously for my sailing canoe.

    Next spring, 2013 around mid-april, after winter, will be time to work making seats, cut slot for centerboard, etc, etc.

    I want to sail the boat next year, even if cabin is not built, cabin may be terminated later in season.


    Great comeback excellent!!!
    It must have been hard to start.

    Right on with your bad self!!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Yes indeed it was hard to take decision. Now I'm happy I can go next step.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Monday, June 5 2012, was day off (gest why).

    Tuesday, June 6 th, put strongback at level, start to set-up keelform. I leveled strongback with different blocks, then cut 2 x 4 to make legs. Then start to install keelform, will finish that tomorrow. Keelform has now a ''banana'' shape, but will corrected.
    So far so good.

    1 pic of that

    IMGP2463.jpg

    This my workshop
    IMGP2432.jpg

    IMGP2433.jpg
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-19-2017 at 04:34 PM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Monday, June 5 2012, was day off (gest why).

    Tuesday, June 6 th, put framework at level, start to set-up keelform. I leveled framework with different blocks, then cut 2 x 4 to make legs. Then start to install keelform, will finish that tomorrow. Keelform has now a ''banana'' shape, but will corrected.
    So far so good.

    2 pics of that



    Looks good. I would glue some flat plywood scraps under those legs.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    That's a good point. For summer it's alright because season is dryer usually.
    But next spring, when snow melts, ground will be smooth.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    June 6 2012. Today I've finally straightened keelform.

    I couldn't wait to see stations (or frames) on keelform. So here they are.
    No alignment yet, only put in order from stem to transom, ''just to see'' what the boat looks like.

    My 2 friends came to see the first view and they were happy to see first results.

    Tomorrow I will start alignment. Then it will time for keelson installation.

    BTW Donald, I think these photos remind you good old time when you were working on your boat!!!

    IMGP2477.jpg

    IMGP2468.jpg
    Last edited by sailcanoefan; 11-19-2017 at 10:01 AM.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    964

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Donald, Time to install keelson is close. 10 inches wide in my opinion is much too big, 6 inches would be ok. Keel then would be 4 1/2'', to me it's ok. How wide did you make them?

    You made chine 3/4'' or 7/8'' x 1 1/4'' in two pieces because it was easier to install; are these 2 pieces equal 3/8'' x 1 1/4''? Or they are different size each. Of course, they are glued together.

    The way things are going, plywood and epoxy-fiberglassing and paint job as well will be done by end of June.

    I enjoy working on the boat!!!!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tuscon AZ
    Posts
    5,231

    Default Re: 19 Ft Cruising Sailboat from DN Goodchild Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcanoefan View Post
    Donald, Time to install keelson is close. 10 inches wide in my opinion is much too big, 6 inches would be ok. Keel then would be 4 1/2'', to me it's ok. How wide did you make them?

    You made chine 3/4'' or 7/8'' x 1 1/4'' in two pieces because it was easier to install; are these 2 pieces equal 3/8'' x 1 1/4''? Or they are different size each. Of course, they are glued together.

    The way things are going, plywood and epoxy-fiberglassing and paint job as well will be done by end of June.

    I enjoy working on the boat!!!!
    I built the keelson exactly as the drawing said. Remember the reason is because of the swing down keel.
    That keelson needs to be wide to support the swing down keel.

    What ever the chine measurement is on the drawing make it two pieces.

    I even tried steaming that chine piece but it still broke. I would use two pieces .
    Put in the first piece on both sides of the hull, then put in the second piece so the hull stays straight.

    IMPORTANT! Before you put the chines on.
    Get some scrap sticks and clamp or nail them to the frames at the CHINE and at the DECK side to keep them aligned.
    One of mine got out of alignment. You can remove them later.

    If you put that stick on the INSIDE of the frame then you can put the plywood on with out the sticks getting in the way.
    The frames will stay in alignment. Very important.

    You are also going to have to notch all of the frames at the chine for the chine strips.
    Just use a jig saw.
    I will post a photo. You can do them all in a couple hours.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 06-12-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •