Thread: Zulus

Any interest in these British boats in this country? QM

Gary Maynard rebuilt one in Martha's Vineyard, I think he sailed RTW. There was an article in WB, it was a girl's name, cannot remember.

I searched the index, she's called Violet.

[ 07-05-2005, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Hwyl ]

Ok, I'll bite. Why the interest in zulus?

Hello QM

Are you only interested in Zulus that happen to be in North America or North Americans interested in them ?

I'm in Scotland - where they came from. My father owned and fished one (built 1906, but we sold her in 1970 and lost track of her).

None of the large ones (c. 70ft) are left afloat. There is one (RESEARCH) ashore in the Scottish Fisheries Museum at Anstruther. There may be a few of the smaller ones left - but they are very thin on the ground.

That tremendously raked sternpost of the true Zulu did not lend itself to motorisation at all. The competing "fifie" type of lugger survived the transition to motor much better.

A lot of the Zulus were laid up in the Cromarty Firth during the 1914-18 war. Many of their crews never came back for them, and furthermore the steam drifter and the motor were taking over. That was where a lot of them ended their days.

I remember a Zulu on the ways in Lowestoft harbor about 1986. They had just taken the cobblestone or somekind of round stones ,probably inside ballest, out of her hull and piled it on the ways. I was fascinated and impressed by the shear height of the boat off the ways. I have never really understood them. Can they make a good pleasure sailing/ocean going yacht? I assume the raked stern was for the unique waves of the fierce North Sea ---which Brits sail every month of the year. I have this picture of one becoming a great yacht--like a pinky carry away boat would. QMBob

The link posted by JimD gives a very good background to the origins of the Zulu.

For modern use, most people would discard the dipping lug rig. It is actually rather efficient (lack of a mast at the luff makes it like a big modern genoa), but in big sizes its handling would be a nightmare for a small crew.

To my mind there is no doubt that the Zulu makes an excellent and safe seagoing hull. Of course, compared to modern yachts, the sail area to weight ratio is going to be less, but if you want a displacement type hull its a good bet.

Some of the doubled ended Cornish luggers were similar (but never had such a steep stern rake or reached the size of the largest Zulus). Several of them have survived.

If you like the raked sternpost, and its advantages as used by some of the yacht designers of the day, you have some other choices.
    a) Manx nobby
    b) Loch Fyne skiff

These boats have a very steeply raked sternpost and also a raked keel. The shallow draught forward made them more handy than the Zulu or fifie. They tended not to be longer than 40ft on deck.

In the case of the Loch Fyne skiff their underwater form is the most yachtlike of any British sailing fishing boat that I am aware of. In the late 1800s and early 1900s several yachts were built on the lines of Loch Fyne skiffs.

You can find the lines plans for several Zulus, fifies, Cornish luggers, Manx nobbies and Loch Fyne skiffs in the book SAILING DRIFTERS by EDGAR MARCH.

If you go to this website you should see some Loch Fyne skiff information.

www.socket-studios.co.uk/temp/ul240

[ 12-23-2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Clan Gordon ]

QM

I agree that these Zulu (and Fifie) hulls are majestic when you see them out of the water. Here is a good photo of a Zulu dried out at Scalpay in the Hebrides.

www.virtualhebrides.com/scalpay/s calpay/scalpay_history/zulu/ZuluSY108.htm

She has been motorised and a wheelhouse added. You can see that despite the fact they added a false deadwood, the rake of the stern is tremendous, and necessitated a cut out for a propeller in the rudder.

The more ungainly looking fifie was much more easy to convert to motor.

[ 12-23-2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Clan Gordon ]

Hey-and a Thanks for that Clan Gordon!QMBob

TKS JimD. I copies the whole thing! QMBob

Default Re: Zulus

This thread is 8 years old, but ill take a punt that some of you at least may still be above ground....

Bit of a tease really, as I'll start a new build thread on the boat soon, but I have the boat 'qm' saw in Lowestoft in the 80's.
    She looks a little different now...

Re-planked, re-framed, re-decked over ten years by an old salt called Graham Brewster in Suffolk.
    He fell ill and was unable to complete her, sold her to me. I'm finishing her off.

1910, Hays yard Lerwick Shetland Isles. Was renamed 'Sunbeam' in the 50's I think, used as an MFV with twin Kelvins.
    I'm taking her back to Lug rig with small aux engine.
    42' LOD, 13'6" Beam, 6' Draught.

I'm still pinching myself.....
    Last edited by lupussonic; 08-01-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: broke link to photos

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

As found around 1998.

Would you?
    Last edited by lupussonic; 08-01-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: broke link to photo

Excellent. Look forward to the detailed thread.

Bless you, lupussonic. Kate looks great!
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Aux barricades

She does. I'm really looking forward to hearing a lot more about Kate!

Gavin

Stunning.

Violet has been back on the Vineyard. Thought I had a picture handy but can't find it.

Here's Violet in Vineyard Haven.

"If a man speaks at sea where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?"

And I found my pic. Note the cat.

That is the most radical boottop I have ever seen.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Aux barricades

Congratulations Lupussonic! She's marvellous !

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    This thread is 8 years old, but ill take a punt that some of you at least may still be above ground....

Bit of a tease really, as I'll start a new build thread on the boat soon, but I have the boat 'qm' saw in Lowestoft in the 80's.
    She looks a little different now...

Re-planked, re-framed, re-decked over ten years by an old salt called Graham Brewster in Suffolk.
    He fell ill and was unable to complete her, sold her to me. I'm finishing her off.

1910, Hays yard Lerwick Shetland Isles. Was renamed 'Sunbeam' in the 50's I think, used as an MFV with twin Kelvins.
    I'm taking her back to Lug rig with small aux engine.
    42' LOD, 13'6" Beam, 6' Draught.

I'm still pinching myself.....
    Try to work out what the marketing guy wants you to do then do precisely the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    That is the most radical boottop I have ever seen.
    Perfectly normal for trad British working craft.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I have started the thread on Kate's rebuild here.

violets steering gear looks too light
    The first J Class Designs for 75 years

Nice to see some appriciation of these cracking working boats.

My workshop space was walled off for the first year I was there by a 30' Fifie Called Guiding Star. She was a half completed restoration project that went off to the Firth of Forth with a chap last year, he was going to see the project finished. I heard from him at a boat show this summer and was promised an invite to the re-launching and a Dram when I got there.

As some of you may have seen on a thread in this forum, Ben Duffin who is a college of mine, is planning on building one or two loch Fyne skiffs with the trainee's he works with (mostly recovering alcoholics and long term un-employed folk). The design he has chosen is actually an Iain Oughtred design which never got past the initial drawing stages.

Im a real fan of the Loch Fyne skiffs. there's an original nineteen hundred and something example that sits in Tarbert harbour (one of my favorite places in the world) its called Iolair. I dont have any better pics I'm afraid.